Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Parents Outraged Over a Teacher's Alleged Negative Comments About President Obama

Outraged over a teacher's alleged negative comments in class about President Obama has parents at Delcambre Elementary fighting back. The day after election day, Lindsey Shello's son told her his fourth grade teacher wore all black to school. He said the teacher told class she was attending America's funeral, because Barrack Obama was re-elected president.

"She made the comment that since Michelle Obama is first lady and with the meal plan she has, the kids are gonna look like toothpicks in a few months," said Shello.

Shello says the teacher also told the class, the US would become the new China because of Obama. Shocked at what her son told her, Shello posted her feelings on Facebook. This mother says the teacher wrote her a message saying she'd like to have a conversation with her and she shouldn't believe everything her 9-year-old son tells her.

"Her personal opinion needs to remain her personal opinion. She doesn't need to push it on the kids," said Shello.

Chassatey Jackson says her two children also told her the same story. Jackson doesn't think teachers should express their political beliefs in class.

"They want to believe everything their teacher says and if my kid hears the teacher say the sky is black, he's going to believe the sky is black because his teacher said it," said Jackson.

These parents want answers. They've reached out to the school board and Delcambre Elementary principal. We reached out as well, we were told Delcambe Elementary's principal was not in today. And the school board said the matter is under investigation.

"I think an apology is owed, but it's not owed from the school board," said Shello's mother Liz Shello-Walton.

We reached out to Louisiana Association of Educators to see if what these parents and students claim the teacher did is out of line? Executive Director Dr. Michael Walker-Jones says he would need to look at the case closely before giving the teacher a critique.

by Anonymousreply 2211/09/2012

Teachers should keep their political opinions out of class. What inappropriate behavior. I would never stand for such behavior and would throw an even bigger fit if the teacher discussed religion.

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

So Victoria Jackson is teaching now?

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

"Chassatey"

Even Cher could friggin' spell it right.

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2012

What a fucking bitch. Typical Repuke: when she was called on her shit she tried to weasel out of what she had said and accused the kid of making it up.

That combination of factors alone should get her a serious reprimand at a minimum. Though I'm thinking that outright dismissal might be the better course of action.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2012

These meltdowns are pure hilarity!

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2012

I don't detect any wrongdoing from this teacher at all.

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2012

Apparently not ALL teachers are educated, knoweldgable, or smart.

Because... Jesus. Didn't that teacher figure out the Republicans HATE teachers and fired millions of them over the last four years?!?

I want to punch some sense into that asshole ignorant bigoted teacher moron.

They should be fired. Nobody that crass and ignorant should be allowed to influence children.

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2012

[quote]Teachers should keep their political opinions out of class

they should, but sometimes they don't. I recall teachers in 6th and 7th grade giving VERY political statements when it wasn't warranted.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2012

Aren't teachers in a union? The repugs hate unions and hate union members even more. They want to get rid of unions

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2012

Yes, r9. Teachers have multiple unions. National Education Association (NEA) is the big one. Then you have state, county, and city ones. Mom is a retired teacher. I don't understand how some teachers can support an anti-union candidate either. NEA always supports the Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2012

I actually love this whole story. It makes a sad but pithy comment on early-21st-century America:

First a deranged Tea-Partying (redundant, I know) teacher claims that with Michelle Obama's meal plan "the kids are gonna look like toothpicks in a few months" (ha! if only!).

Then an outraged parent decides that posting her feelings on Facebook is a more effective reaction to inappropriate teacher comments than, say, contacting the teacher or the school principal to discuss it.

And then someone named Chassatey says without apparent shame, "If my kid hears the teacher say the sky is black, he's going to believe the sky is black". And this child is in fourth grade. And not, apparently, blind.

Maybe the article forgot to mention that the school in question is for special-needs children, parents and teachers? That, at least, would make some kind of sense...

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2012

Teacher here. When the kids asked who I voted for, I simply said that I voted for the president. Then I dropped it. I think teachers can answer a question like that but it is our duty to answer it without opinion and prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2012

i am sure the teacher's union would be on the side of the parents.

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2012

This is typical of a Rethuglicunt. She's probably a Fundie, too.

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2012

What is it about Regressives that make them such drama queens?

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2012

That teacher should be fired. The union will protect her, of course, but she has no business teaching CHILDREN and influencing young minds. You TEACH children to think for themselves, to make up their own minds, to simply understand the political system. This cunt belongs in Nazi Germany training Hitler youth. Talk about a propagandist slag.

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2012

[quote] What is it about Regressives that make them such drama queens?

Seriously. All of this "death of America" stuff is beyond stupid. America didn't "die" in the previous four years, what do they think is going to change now?

by Anonymousreply 1711/09/2012

Hilarious that she wore all black and behaved like she was in a Chekhov play.

by Anonymousreply 1811/09/2012

I had a High School Economics and Free Enterprise (required course) teacher who would be classified as a Tea Party spokesman today. He would rant and rave about Ted Kennedy, eastern rich liberals etc.

by Anonymousreply 1911/09/2012

Fire the asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2011/09/2012

She should be fired, plain & simple !!

by Anonymousreply 2111/09/2012

Ridiculously inappropriate and I hope she's reprimanded. HOWEVER I wouldn't want teachers' voices completely silenced. You know there are kids being raised by rabid Tea Partiers who hear this crap every day in their homes. To have a teacher you like offer a different perspective can be eye-opening. R12's response sounds completely acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 2211/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.