Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

As go politics, so goes Hollywood?

I was just watching a My38 commercial that had animations of the syndicated sit-com characters that make up its daily lineup. There were no African American characters, Asians, ethnic Latinos, etc…, because their are precious few minority characters on the big three (and little fourth) stations.

Ok, if the Republicans have to get a clue that they have to “appeal” to minority voters, why hasn’t’ Hollywood done the same thing with making more programing for minority viewers?

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2012

Hollywood influences politics and even moreso, the public.

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

People are so confused about what happened on Tuesday. It was WHITES that voted Obama into office. Many third and fourth generation Asian families are VERY, VERY Republican (think Kristy Yamaguchi and others). Yes, blacks voted for Obama, but if it weren't for whites Obama wouldn't be President.

Romney losing is not the end of white people.

Go Obama!

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

Can we get a breakdown of how the Asians usually vote?

Chinese Japanese Korean Filipino

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2012

I was wondering about the same thing, R3. I'm wondering about all of the Asians. Where is our East Asian troll when we need him?

by Anonymousreply 411/08/2012

Isn't "The Jefferson's" on TV Land?

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2012

About 72% of Asians according to the article said they were supporting Obama. They often see themselves as the immigrant, minority, outsider. Actually so do many Whites whose ancestors immigrated only a few generations ago.

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012

But does anybody have a breakdown of the different groups, and their different cultures and reasoning? Some are presumably more conservative than others.

by Anonymousreply 711/08/2012

Someone should create a specific thread asking about the specific Asian gorups' voting habits breakdown. I can't do it.

by Anonymousreply 811/08/2012

Um R2 simple numbers show how your reasoning is wrong.

Yes without white voter support Obama would have lost. Of course no one is disputing that. But only 40% of white voters voted for Obama, that is LESS whiter voters than he had in 2008.

However the percentage of black, latino and asian voters voting for Obama did go up from 2008 which did help him win.

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2012

[quote]But only 40% of white voters voted for Obama

So what do you make of that fact?

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2012

It's odd how until the late 60s, Romney would have be considered odd and an outsider white because he was Mormon. Catholics and Jews, despite being mostly white at the time, were considered outsiders until the point, when all those boundaries suddenly disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 1111/08/2012

R11, Depending on the individual, some Mormons, Catholics, and Jews still identify with the "outsider." Actually some WASPs do as well, especially if their family has only been in America for a relatively short time or if they've experienced poverty or tragedy on any level.

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!