Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hollywood ruins another book

"World War Z" unveiled; has been turned into generic Dad-vs.-Zombies picture.

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012

Oh my god that looks fucking awful

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

It doesn't look awful at all. It looks scary and exciting. it may not be an exact version of the book but we've known that for a long time now. The book as is was not a film.

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

I knew it would suck. Brad Pitt Saving the World etc. etc. The book was awesome, and this movie clearly has nothing to do with it. A shame.

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2012

[quote] this movie clearly has nothing to do with it. A shame.

LOL, R3. I loved the book, too. But you can't tell that from this trailer.

The core of WWZ is not the specifics of the zombies or even necessarily the details of the individual stories. It is about how the political and social problems of the world prevented a plague from being stopped early and how it almost destroyed the human race. It is about how different countries handled the crisis and endured during that crisis.

I loved many of the individual stories but I also appreciate the essence of the book and that can still be retained and I hope it is but I can't say it is or isn't from this trailer - and neither can you.

God, these purists are a royal pain in the ass. Especially when their purity is on such a superficial level. oh, the zeds run - oh no.

by Anonymousreply 411/08/2012

R2, you're nuts. That doesn't look "scary," that looks like the CGI sequel to I Am Legend.

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2012

It's a Brad Pitt movie of course it is going to be shit. The guy has only ever made one good movie his entire career - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

I'm also guessing that he is not the brightest of blokes.

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2012

Didn't read the book but WHAT is ORIGINAL about this flick?

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2012

The book World War Z just screamed "miniseries," not a feature film. The character of the journalist (Pitt's part) was more in the background as the survivors told him their stories. And he certainly didn't have a fucking wife and kids to save. Ugh. Instead, we get yet another CGI action film with a 'Die Hard'-type hero out to save the world and his family. It's been done to death.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2012

Hasn't this film been in trouble for a while now?

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2012

At least that rude cunt Jonah isn't in this film.

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2012

It has waves of dead people rolling down the streets in bad CGI like the Sandman or the Mummy Returns. In fact it looks so far just like I Am Legend. Not terrible - just not the movie I'd been reading that they were making.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

Snce we are talking fantasy, what's the point of fast Zombies? As George Romero pointed out, tey are dead. They have rigor mortis. If a Zombie is faster than you and there are alot of them, you have no hope.

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2012

I like Brad. Really do. But he looks out of place in that.

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2012

If so much of the fiction wasn't so cloying in its attempts to resemble Hollywood cinema, these adaptations would stop happening.

90% of fiction now is like sitting down and reading a screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

I don't care how bad it looks, I love end of the world movies! I even liked that shitfest with Tom Cruise, War of the Worlds. I'll watch anything where humans are threatened with extinction!

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2012

Think it's still too early to say how this film will pan out. Perhaps the best section of the novel was The Great Panic, and from bits of the trailer you can see how they're trying to portray that: thousands of people in the streets running for their lives, a nuclear explosion (the Iran-Pakistan exchange?). Also I think I caught a glimpse of Israel soldiers in a helicopter, so that part of the book seems to be included here too.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2012

Give up the rigor mortis argument. It's weak. RM only takes hold some hours after death and then in a short time span disappears. It also can be broken with movement of the limbs - of course the dead aren't normally moving.

Besides - and here's the main point - the zombies are FICTION. They are NOT REAL. I guess they didn't get the zombie memo from the head zombie. Even though I'm a fan of the book I'm not particularly into zombies but still I do know that there are different types of zombies in fiction and zombie lore including running ones and ones that can use tools.

This is supposed to be a trilogy so logically this is the beginning of the infestation. There are almost 50 different stories in the book and they are told by means of a UN rep who is investigating how it all happened 10 years earlier. They seem to have turned the UN historian into a UN investigator who is trying to uncover what is going on as it happens rather than through flashbacks. That doesn't necessarily have to change much at all about the story - just the mechanism of how it is revealed to the audience. People should be more offended by the insulting and jingoistic revisionist history in Argo.

Some people will bitch for bitchins sake. Oh and the CGI isn't supposed to be finished.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2012

I cannot stand it when a movie is exactly the same as a book-for instance Game of Thrones though well acted is verbatim the same as the books so the cliffhangers that keep everyone shocked bore me. The whole zombies don't run B.S. is silly that said this looks like a generic action flick it might be fun.

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2012

"The guy has only ever made one good movie his entire career - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. "

He's made a few good films, such as "Inglorious Basterds" and "Twelve Monkeys", and he's consistently the worst thing in them.

Seriously, this "dad vs apocolypse" thing sounds far too much like Tom Cruise's awful "War of the Worlds". Pass.

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!