Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did I miss the memo about Latino being a race?

Did I not get CCed? Ethnic group, yes. But, race? Aren't Latinos white?

by Anonymousreply 6004/15/2015

Latinos can be of any race. Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race.

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

OP, if you expect a memo, you're more out of it than you know.

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2012

The United States has a primitive outlook on racial categories. All racial groups south of the US border are categorized as Hispanic. A big part of this is because racial categorization is poor south of the US border. There needs to be more categories beside white, black, Hispanic, Asian, American Indian and other.

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2012

US hospitals are not allow to report HIspanic as a race. They may report it as an ethnicity. These are the only races according to Joint Commission Standards:

Black/African American

Native American/Alaska Native

Hawaiian/Pacific Islander

Hospitals may report ethnicity as:

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012

R6, do you genuinely believe any of us would rely on hospital demographics?

by Anonymousreply 711/08/2012

According to the US Census Bureau Hispanics can be of any race but are more often than not a mixture of races. Mexicans for example are generally thought of, including by Mexicans themselves, as "Mestizo" being a mixture in varying degrees of white European, usually, but not always, Spanish (a few Irish, Germans and French also came to Mexico but by and large it was and is not a "settler" nation as the US is with its millions of immigrants largely from Europe, starting with Britain) plus mixture with a variety of Indian/Native American peoples, not just the Aztecs/Nahuatl people, who BTW still live, several million of them in and around Mexico City. A similar scene is repeated throughout Latin America except perhaps for Argentina whose people are largely decended from white Europeans, mainly Spanish and Italian. Puerto Ricans and Cubans are generally an African-Spanish mix with a trace of Carib/Arawak Indian.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2012

[quote]They're not white.

Eva Peron was white. She was renowned for her "alabaster skin." In fact, Argentineans have a white majority. Ancestors from Spain, Germany, Italy, France, etc. Their Indigenous population is pretty much decimated.

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2012

Many Latinos are Black, hence, the term "blatino."

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2012

I see the term Hispanic as a language thing. Like here in Canada, we use the terms Francophone or Anglophone to differentiate between French-speaking and English-speaking.

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2012

R8 yeah and Argentina only has a mostly white populartion because there was ethnic cleansing back in the day...very shameful.

Also, in places like Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador and Venezuela you find the most mixing as there are people with african, amerindian and european ancestors.

The thing is the US needs to update its check boxes for race because the standard is just so outdated. As long as you come from a Spanish-speaking country, you're latino. It doesnt' matter if you "super white" or "super black" or anything inbetween.

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2012

OP, you are not cray cray. It may be a regional and/or age thing. I grew up in New England in the 60s. Spanish people (includes Latino, Hispanic, South and Central American, Mexican, etc.) are White people.

It wasn't until much later that I ever heard anything different. I find it odd when anyone says these folks are not white. It's just weird to me. But it's common and I have also felt as though I missed the memo.

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2012

How can people in 2012 not realize that Hispanic/Latino is not a race, it is an ethnicity. Latinos can be any race. Some Latinos are White, some Black, some biracial, some even Asian.

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2012

LOL R14, are you the media person who doctored the George Zimmerman photograph to make it much lighter?

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2012

No, mexican's members are not small, generally speaking. They are larger than Asians, usually. Most are uncut. They are similar to native americans in that respect. From personal experience, I have noted that many from south of the border are ashamed of their dark skin. Conversely, they seem to worship light skin. As they gain the power they're now seeking, that may change, and they may be proud to be brown, after all. As an aside, have you ever seen a beauty contestant from Venezuela, Colombia and many other hispanic populations who are dark in color?

by Anonymousreply 1711/09/2012

Too bad they are about 5 feet tall.

by Anonymousreply 1811/09/2012

[quote]Spanish people (includes Latino, Hispanic, South and Central American, Mexican, etc.) are White people.

Most Mexican are mestizos, i.e., mixed race. They descend from Spanish conquerors/settlers/whatevers and Indians. Some are whiter than others; some look very Indian. Other groups have immigrated to Mexico (Chinese, Arabs, non-Spanish Europeans) so you can find various mixes. But mostly they're Spanish-Indian mestizos.

by Anonymousreply 1911/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 2011/09/2012

er, Latino is a race just like Jewish is a race.

by Anonymousreply 2111/09/2012

Don't click on R22 and R23 links. Sick and disgusting stupid fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2411/09/2012

The user who said "olive" is very ignorant! olive is very light! olive is the tone of many europeans! a person can be red,pink,yellow or olive in undertones! central/south america has the largest population o feuropeans outside of europe itself!

LOOK UP Guillermo del Toro !!! HE IS A WHITE MEXICAN THAT LOOKS GERMAN! he looks whiter than 100% of Americns. Not everyone who say they are of Hispanic ancestry is non-White. It has nothing to do with face value (looks) and everything to do with genetics. Plus, the USA census bureau defines white as peopele of EUROPEAN,NORTH AFRICAN,MIDDLE EASTERN BLOOD! race,, I hate talking about it. But I cant stand dumb folks! Ive seen fair african americans and blacker than night what? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The dirty little secret is that the real power in Mexico is held by whites of European descent.People of Latin, Spanish, Spanish Basque, Portuguese, Brazilian, Argentinian, Mexican, South American, Etc. can be blondes or redheads, fair, and even blue or green eyes and look like Hitler youth poster children.Just like not all Germans are blonde or blue eyed. Hitler himself had dark hair and brown eyes.

Actor Charlie Sheen, born Carlos Irwin Estevez, doesn't feel Latino, he says. In an interview with Univision’s Maria Elena Salinas, he notes that he has an attraction to Latin women and Latin food, but says that his affiliation with Latino culture ends there. "I'm a white guy in America, you know what I'm saying," Sheen says with some laughter. "I'm not disgraced by it, and I don't run from it. But you know, I was born in New York and grew up in Malibu. That's not very Latino. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Salinas asks Sheen, why then the rest of his family feels affiliated with Hispanic culture and why he decided to changed his name(DUH,THAT MEANS CHARLIE AND HIS WHOLE FAMILY ARE OF HISPANIC HERITAGE). He responds that he changed his first name to avoid confusion with his uncle who was also named Carlos, and he changed Estevez to “Sheen” when he became an actor.

White Mexicans make up 52.8% of the population. They dont come to the USA though. Because as in any society(Indians as well) the people with the European bloodline are always the elite! go google image them! they look like GERMANS/IRISH! Just like American is a nationality. but a person can have roots from Italy,Holand,Sweden,etc. LOOK UP LATINO AMERICANS ON EVEN WIKIPEDIA(a basic,non reliable source") it states cameron diaz,CHARLIE SHEEN,cristina aguilara..they are considered "latino.

Charlie sheen is latino, he even said though that he's not in touch with his latino heritage. He has been recorded to have said that. Cameron DIaz is also latino, including a list of other celebs. I was just pointing it out to the idiot with no authentic channel as well as no class/intelligence. Also, the dumb idiot said charlie is spaniard not Mexican! MEXICAN IS A NATIONALITY! a person can have spaniard blood runing in their veins. The high class elites of mexico have german/irish blood.

by Anonymousreply 2511/09/2012

Both are photoshopped, I've seen them before. Yes, the fingers one is fake, too.

by Anonymousreply 2611/09/2012

[quote]Hitler himself had dark hair and brown eyes.

Hitler's eyes were blue.

[quote]He responds that he changed his first name to avoid confusion with his uncle who was also named Carlos, and he changed Estevez to “Sheen” when he became an actor.

I figured he used his father's stage surname to capitalize on his fame.

BTW: Those finger pix gave me the heebie-jeebies. *shiver*

by Anonymousreply 2711/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

Let me try to put this to is ethnicity. Asian/white/black/nativeAm/SoAsian/mix is race. This is a solid explanation. Don't let other people confuse you.

Nationality can be used to describe ethnicity (you see I used some of them as an example) but I can see how this doesn't fly for Asian countries because some of those countries haven't mixed much, like ever, like the Japanese for example. Therefore it's better to keep ethnicity (asian) and nationality (Japanese) as separate terms.

by Anonymousreply 2902/26/2015

Excellent R29. Until recently I did realize that saying a person is "Latino" or "Hispanic" is like saying a person is "American". The term Latino doesn't really tell you anything about their ethnicity.

I was watching a show about Brazil and there are Japanese people living there whose first language is Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 3002/26/2015

If you call yourself Mexican it is perfectly okay to make a living off of telling ugly, racist jokes about them.

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2015

I think Mencia is not Mexican. I can't remember his country of origen, it might be Central American. But you're right R31, he is a nasty joker.

I am always thinking that when things changed from asking about racial background to asking about your ethnicity was just another way to marginalize ethnic minorities. It wasn't enought for a Mexican-American to mark the Caucasion box, it had to be something more. Let's not let minorities get away from being just Caucasion, we wouldn't want them to think they're white.

by Anonymousreply 3203/03/2015

Let me out it even simpler: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS DIFFERENT RACES. There's only one and that's the Human Race.

by Anonymousreply 3303/03/2015

"Latino" is an umbrella description for various ethnic groups with roots in the former Spanish colonies in the Americas. The elites in most of those countries are descended from the European colonizers and immigrants who came later. The vast majority of Latinos are of mixed racial ancestry: European, Native American and African.

In Latino and Lusophone (Portuguese speaking) countries definitions of race are more fluid and can be a function of ancestry, money and power.

All of this can lead to some very odd labeling that defies logic. A black man with a Spanish surname is "Latino". Yet a ligher-skinned man of mixed race is labeled "African-American" if he has as English surname.

Anyone who grew up in New England thinking that Latinos were white are in denial. There are a lot of people there who think of the Italians and Portuguese as marginally white.

by Anonymousreply 3403/03/2015

What kinda bugs me is the term "Person of Color"; for example, using the term to say that the last 3 Best Director Oscar winners were Persons of Color:

Ang Lee

Alfonso Cuaron

Alejandro Inarritu

No, they're not "Persons of Color" -- they're different ethnicities, one of them (Cuaron) clearly from the whiter side of the equation.

by Anonymousreply 3503/03/2015

r33 nailed it. All these attempts to categorize people is demeaning and offensive.

by Anonymousreply 3603/03/2015

Latino and Hispanic are not races but are treated as if they are races by the U.S census people.

There are three different types of Latinos, those that look white, those that look black, and those that more closer resemble their indigenous native ancestors.

by Anonymousreply 3703/03/2015

Thanks R36!

R37 you're talking out of your ass. The Census does NOT consider Latino/Hispanic as a race. I would know, that's why I REFUSED to fill it out.

by Anonymousreply 3803/03/2015

R6 a You can't gonby what Americans day about race or ethnicity or other cultures. They are the most insular, inward looking and and the least knowledgable about dern furrnnerrs.

by Anonymousreply 3903/03/2015

No such thing as race. There are only haplogroups -- collections of genes.

by Anonymousreply 4003/03/2015

The "non-hispanic white" option pisses me off.

In fact, whites should be referred to as European-American.

by Anonymousreply 4103/03/2015

R41, Except not all white people are from Europe. North Africa is white.

by Anonymousreply 4203/03/2015

R42, they are all inaccurate.

A buddy is whiter than me, born and raised in South Africa, now a US citizen. I call him my Afican-American friend.

by Anonymousreply 4303/03/2015

Hispanic- any individual born and raised in a Spanish speaking society and his/her descendants who also speak Spanish due to the circumstances in which they were raised. Therefore it's an ethnicity and not a race. A Spaniard, a Philippino, a North American (remember Puerto Ricans are US Citizens) and /or a Cuban can all be Hispanic. A Brazilian typically is not. Neither would someone from Portugal or Italy be Hispanic, even if they share food, wines, cultures, art etc.

However (and I've lost count on how many times I've repeated this in DL) HISPANIC DOES NOT EQUAL LATINO.

Latino is simply the Spanish WORD for Latin American. A Latin American is native of Latin America or descendant of a Latin American. This includes people in the Western Hemisphere countries who speak languages that are of Latin roots (I.e. Spanish, French, Portuguese, Papiamento). So a person of Brazilian, Haitian or Aruban ethnicity is considered Latin American, along with Cubans, Mexicans, etc.

So, even if for the most part a Spanish speaking person will probably be referring to a fellow Spanish speaking Latin American when using the term Latino, and most people of other cultures and languages will also mean to be talking about Hispanic Latin Americans by referencing their own Spanish language word, technically a Latino can be from Brazil, Haiti or Martinique. Just not from Canada, Jamaica, or Barbados.

by Anonymousreply 4403/03/2015

[quote]Spanish people (includes Latino, Hispanic, South and Central American, Mexican, etc.)

"Spanish people" are from Spain, R14. They aren't interchangeable with Mexicans and South Americans.

by Anonymousreply 4503/03/2015

If he commits a crime against a white man: white

If he has a crime committed against him by a white man: Hispanic

by Anonymousreply 4603/03/2015

And [R41], some European Americans who are white also happen to be Hispanic, as they come from the mother land of the language, Spain.

by Anonymousreply 4703/03/2015

Now Haitians, Brazilians and people from Curacao are Latinos? Hardly. What about Romanian vampires living in the West Indies? They speak a Latin tongue, too. Creoles in New Orleans do not consider themselves Latinos either.

by Anonymousreply 4803/03/2015

R25 You gave me a chuckle with the assertion that 52%of Mexicans are white. Dream on! They may be whitish but pure European is doubtful. Brazilians also say that less than 1/3 of their people have any African ancestry.

Reminds me of the polls of Puerto Ricans in NYC. Last one ?i saw had 95% of PR's self-describing as "white". They must all sit out the annual parade!

by Anonymousreply 5003/04/2015

R49 I'm Latino, pendejo.

You must be one of those White worshipping Latinos, you people are disgusting. Upholding racist and segregating ideals all for the sake of privilege.

by Anonymousreply 5103/04/2015

arent the latinos considered mexicans or island folks

by Anonymousreply 5203/04/2015

No, I think you are the White worshiping Latino, r51. If the idea of race (and white privilege) wasn't so threatening to you, you wouldn't be trying to destroy the construct so you would *feel* equal.

You are equal, anyway, and that's the point -- liberation from imposed privilege -- not race or ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 5303/05/2015

I can't wait for 200 years from now, where we'll be as mixed as the Mexicans are now.

by Anonymousreply 5404/13/2015

You won't be alive, R54.

by Anonymousreply 5504/13/2015

It bugs the hell out of me that Hispanics are considered a minority. White Hispanics like the ones from Europe should not be getting any special treatment on college or job applications. There's not much difference between them and Italians or French.

by Anonymousreply 5604/13/2015

I've never seen a Puerto Rican who looks white like Ricky Martin. Every one I've seen is mixed-race.

by Anonymousreply 5704/13/2015

This is such a weird thread. My family is from a Caribbean region so it's weird to call us ALL white when I can look at my family and my family's hometown and know this is simply untrue. How are you going to call someone like Alberto Fujimori or Gina Torres (both Latinos) white?

by Anonymousreply 5804/13/2015

[quote]I've never seen a Puerto Rican who looks white like Ricky Martin.

Ricky Martin looks white?

by Anonymousreply 5904/15/2015

R48 reminds me of those republican Cubans that don't want to be called Hispanics or Latinos.

Brazilians have always being considered Latinos. WTF are you going on about?

by Anonymousreply 6004/15/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!