Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

David Sedaris's 'Ideal Bookshelf'

I only know a couple of them.

What do you think of his selection?

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012

The Easter Parade is wonderful. I would love to see a movie at some point. Revolutionary Road was great but EP could work in a vein resembling Far From Heaven.

I've always found Dorothy Parker to be too flippant to give a damn about. Her reviews are more interesting than her fiction.

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

Very heavy on the Tobias Wolff, isn't it? I can understand one book in a collection that size, but two?

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

He doesn't read, he's a toothless former housecleaner.

His sister Amy writes all his stuff. It was her idea to help her loser brother get some means of support.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

They just getting meaner and meaner and more covert.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

R3, your a dick and that's not true.

Some of his early books made me laugh out loud, something very few books do. Saw him do a love reading of new stuff at the Chicago Theater a few years ago, his sister was not in back pulling his puppet strings.

I was actually very surprised to find out her net worth is considerably more than his. But I love her too.

They have another sister who lives in a shack and sells things out of the garbage. She is a real mess. I guess she was institutionalized as a child and it messed her up.

They have a brother "Rooster" who brother who refinishes floors, but is the only one to have a child.

I think more serious shit went on in that family than he even lets on in his books.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

[quote]His sister Amy writes all his stuff.

Stupid thing to say. He's obviously very bright. I think his schtick is getting very boring now. He was funnier when he was struggling.

He & Hugh live very well in England. Town-house in one of the best districts in London and country house in Sussex. Strange that they chose to live in England.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

I thought they lived in France. That's the whole premise behind "Me Talk Pretty One Day"---the story of DS taking french lessons.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

They moved on to England about ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

"your a dick and that's not true."

Oh, dear. And on a book thread!

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

Where does Amy's $$ come from? His handful of best-selling books and numerous public appearances surely makes him wealthier than her.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

Actually, it's three books by Tobias Wolff!

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!