Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

David Sedaris's 'Ideal Bookshelf'

I only know a couple of them.

What do you think of his selection?

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012

The Easter Parade is wonderful. I would love to see a movie at some point. Revolutionary Road was great but EP could work in a vein resembling Far From Heaven.

I've always found Dorothy Parker to be too flippant to give a damn about. Her reviews are more interesting than her fiction.

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

Very heavy on the Tobias Wolff, isn't it? I can understand one book in a collection that size, but two?

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

He doesn't read, he's a toothless former housecleaner.

His sister Amy writes all his stuff. It was her idea to help her loser brother get some means of support.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

They just getting meaner and meaner and more covert.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

R3, your a dick and that's not true.

Some of his early books made me laugh out loud, something very few books do. Saw him do a love reading of new stuff at the Chicago Theater a few years ago, his sister was not in back pulling his puppet strings.

I was actually very surprised to find out her net worth is considerably more than his. But I love her too.

They have another sister who lives in a shack and sells things out of the garbage. She is a real mess. I guess she was institutionalized as a child and it messed her up.

They have a brother "Rooster" who brother who refinishes floors, but is the only one to have a child.

I think more serious shit went on in that family than he even lets on in his books.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

[quote]His sister Amy writes all his stuff.

Stupid thing to say. He's obviously very bright. I think his schtick is getting very boring now. He was funnier when he was struggling.

He & Hugh live very well in England. Town-house in one of the best districts in London and country house in Sussex. Strange that they chose to live in England.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

I thought they lived in France. That's the whole premise behind "Me Talk Pretty One Day"---the story of DS taking french lessons.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

They moved on to England about ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

"your a dick and that's not true."

Oh, dear. And on a book thread!

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

Where does Amy's $$ come from? His handful of best-selling books and numerous public appearances surely makes him wealthier than her.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

Actually, it's three books by Tobias Wolff!

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.