Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Adviser: Romney "shellshocked" by loss

CBS NEWS/ November 8, 2012, 3:34 PM

BOSTON, MASS. Mitt Romney's campaign got its first hint something was wrong on the afternoon of Election Day, when state campaign workers on the ground began reporting huge turnout in areas favorable to President Obama: northeastern Ohio, northern Virginia, central Florida and Miami-Dade.

Then came the early exit polls that also were favorable to the president.

But it wasn't until the polls closed that concern turned into alarm. They expected North Carolina to be called early. It wasn't. They expected Pennsylvania to be up in the air all night; it went early for the President.

After Ohio went for Mr. Obama, it was over, but senior advisers say no one could process it.

"We went into the evening confident we had a good path to victory," said one senior adviser. "I don't think there was one person who saw this coming."

They just couldn't believe they had been so wrong. And maybe they weren't: There was Karl Rove on Fox saying Ohio wasn't settled, so campaign aides decided to wait. They didn't want to have to withdraw their concession, like Al Gore did in 2000, and they thought maybe the suburbs of Columbus and Cincinnati, which hadn't been reported, could make a difference.

But then came Colorado for the president and Florida also was looking tougher than anyone had imagined.

"We just felt, 'where's our path?'" said a senior adviser. "There wasn't one."

Romney then said what they knew: it was over.

His personal assistant, Garrett Jackson, called his counterpart on Mr. Obama's staff, Marvin Nicholson. "Is your boss available?" Jackson asked.

Romney was stoic as he talked to the president, an aide said, but his wife Ann cried. Running mate Paul Ryan seemed genuinely shocked, the adviser said. Ryan's wife Janna also was shaken and cried softly.

"There's nothing worse than when you think you're going to win, and you don't," said another adviser. "It was like a sucker punch."

Their emotion was visible on their faces when they walked on stage after Romney finished his remarks, which Romney had hastily composed, knowing he had to say something.

Both wives looked stricken, and Ryan himself seemed grim. They all were thrust on that stage without understanding what had just happened.

"He was shellshocked," one adviser said of Romney.

Romney and his campaign had gone into the evening confident they had a good path to victory, for emotional and intellectual reasons. The huge and enthusiastic crowds in swing state after swing state in recent weeks - not only for Romney but also for Paul Ryan - bolstered what they believed intellectually: that Obama would not get the kind of turnout he had in 2008.

They thought intensity and enthusiasm were on their side this time - poll after poll showed Republicans were more motivated to vote than Democrats - and that would translate into votes for Romney.

by Anonymousreply 35011/14/2012

So much money, so much delusion!

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

Well now, that was a delicious read. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2012

Paul Ryan is supposed to be a numbers guy.

by Anonymousreply 411/08/2012

They were so confident in their polls, they didn't even feel the need to rig the voting machines

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2012

I don't care, I fucking love that Ann Romney cried.

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012

Very well-said, r2.

by Anonymousreply 711/08/2012

What? That was the first time he thought something might not go his way?

Soooo much money...should have won! The first occasion when money didn't get him what he wanted, huh?

by Anonymousreply 811/08/2012

How could they be THIS delusional? Romney isn't dumb. (I'll leave Gilligan out of it) But he did he not read see the polls? Did they really ignore Silver? I mean I can understand them just crossing their fingers and being optimistic but it is frightening that a man who was attempting to lead the country was so convinced that every single piece of data had him going down hard was so wrong. Shocking.

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2012

[quote]You know, it's probably unbecoming to gloat

Not in this case.

The GOP is comprised of vile people who did this to themselves, and they STILL haven't learned. They're blaming minorities who all "want stuff" for daring to see their bigotry and deciding NOT to vote for them.

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2012

The polls have been there for anyone to see the whole fucking time.

If they didn't know it was because they didn't WANT to know and because anyone lower down the ladder was afraid to tell them the truth.

Too stupid to govern - just as we suspected.

by Anonymousreply 1111/08/2012

What r2 said

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2012

[quote]How could they be THIS delusional?

Delusion IS their reality.

A world where all of these red states are the ones who keep the rest of us blue state heathens afloat.

by Anonymousreply 1311/08/2012

Like R9, I find this hard to believe. Throughout the entire campaign, there was never a single Electoral College projection that showed Romney getting 270 or more. Not one. Obama was always ahead in the Electoral College projections when you included the "leaning" states. Always. I can understand that Romney and the Fox News idiots wanted to portray a false sense of optimism. I can understand that they wanted the public to believe that all the polls were flawed. But it's really shocking if they truly believed the bullshit they were spinning.

by Anonymousreply 1411/08/2012

I adore this article. I'm so glad they were so crushed. Such cocky men. Love to see idiots like them destroyed by their own hubris. It is so enjoyable to gloat (I've been celebrating for the past two days) because I was afraid that Romney would win. Thank God he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 1511/08/2012

Oh, it's so utterly delicious to see someone so arrogant and entitled taken down!

by Anonymousreply 1611/08/2012

I was trying to judge how the election was going in the last week by seeing how the candidates appeared emotionally, but they both were genuinely confident.

Here's how it happened--the Republicans expected an electorate that looked like 2010 when Obama's coalition stayed home. So they thought the polls were overstating Obama's support. They got 2008 instead.

The irony is that their efforts to suppress the minority vote made sure that Obama's supporters voted in record numbers.

Don't cry Anne--it wasn't your money that was flushed.

by Anonymousreply 1711/08/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1811/08/2012

Here's a site to lift your spirits! Well, unless you voted for Mitt....Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1911/08/2012

"Romney was stoic as he talked to the president, an aide said, but his wife Ann cried. Running mate Paul Ryan seemed genuinely shocked, the adviser said. Ryan's wife Janna also was shaken and cried softly.

"There's nothing worse than when you think you're going to win, and you don't," said another adviser. "It was like a sucker punch."

Nothing to say but: LOOOOOOL

by Anonymousreply 2011/08/2012

The bigger they are ...

by Anonymousreply 2111/08/2012

[quote]Nothing to say but: LOOOOOOL

"Laugh out out out out out out loud"????

by Anonymousreply 2211/08/2012

I just found out 2 million fewer people voted for Mitt Romney than voted for John McCain, and 9 million fewer people voted for President Obama this time than voted for him last time! Wild, huh? I guess the newness, excitement for a candidate like Obama, or a real hate/fear motivation of another 4 years under another ruinous Republican really got butts out to vote last time, huh?

by Anonymousreply 2311/08/2012

I'm a rich Mormon...

It was MY turn....

by Anonymousreply 2411/08/2012

They're trying to convince the base that there was voter fraud. That's what all this "Were so shocked!" bullshit is about.

Of course they knew they were going to lose. They've had months to make up what their official reaction would be and this is it.

It's to plant the seeds that black people and weasely white traitorous democrats have stolen the election. That's what Rove's theatrical reaction to the Ohio results was all about.

They're setting the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 2511/08/2012

Teh Mittster honestly thought he was "divinely destined" to win.

J o P

by Anonymousreply 2611/08/2012

Mitt's problem is he's probably been told he's a 'winner' his entire life, and he's never had to actually process a failure. He's entitled, and has no sense how difficult it is for people who aren't in his position - he doesn't know what it's like to struggle, and he doesn't know what it's like to have people say 'no'. I'm sure in his mind he had absolutely no doubt he'd win because, well, because he's Mitt!

by Anonymousreply 2711/08/2012

Obama won in spite of MASSIVE voter suppression by the Republicans.

Without the cheating by the Republicans, Obama's victory would have been a huge landslide.

Karl Rove et al could not fathom that Obama had won by such a large margin to overcome the massive amount of vote suppression and vote theft they had done.

by Anonymousreply 2811/08/2012

I can't believe they were so sure they had it in the bag? Seriously, how could they have been so confident?

by Anonymousreply 2911/08/2012

Karl Rove's policy has always been to accuse the other side of the exact same crooked tricks that he has been engaging in.

by Anonymousreply 3011/08/2012

[quote]They're trying to convince the base that there was voter fraud. That's what all this "Were so shocked!" bullshit is about.

Boy, is there nothing these people aren't hypocritical about? For a bunch of assholes who believe in personal responsibility and self-sufficiency, the base always seems to need a daddy to tell them to blame others for their own failings.

by Anonymousreply 3111/08/2012

[quote]but his wife Ann cried.

This is so sad. I'm crying as I type.

by Anonymousreply 3211/08/2012

I absolutely believe he was shocked. He has spent a lifetime getting everything he wanted. I really don't think he had a concession speech, he didn't feel it would be an issue.

I was watching ABC and David Muir was speculating what Romney would say to Obama when he called to concede. He said that Romney would probably say that he was a great father because he had always said that about President Obama.

[italic]That's[/italic] what that douche Muir said. President Obama was twice as gracious about Romney in his victory speech than Romney was about him -- he didn't have to do that.

Romney was an ass in his speech. "I'll pray for our country" -- i.e. how you'll manage without me I'll never know. God he's an ass.

by Anonymousreply 3311/08/2012

These guys were living in an echo chamber. As already mentioned, why would we want someone so badly cocooned and advised to lead our country? Can you imagine Romney making war time decisions based on shit intel?

I'm an epic math failure and scraped by with a C in my college stats class--but I learned enough to know a 91% probability rate is you going upstream in canoe without a paddle. Yet, Romney and company are allegedly shellshocked their internal numbers were wrong. Either they're that stupid or they knew they were toast but faking it to the end. To throw people off the phony scent, they're claiming they wholeheartedly believed their internal polling. If that's case that polling company is shit and should never work again in DC.

TalkingPointsMemo's Josh Marshall claims a little birdie told him Obama's internal polling was correct to 1/10 of one percent of the final results. Now that's some good data.

by Anonymousreply 3411/08/2012

That little bitch knows something about losing.

by Anonymousreply 3511/08/2012

That white people mourning thread is really pathetic. Those people are just pathetic. I'm embarrassed for them.

Might as well put a white robe on your grandson, you disgusting woman:

by Anonymousreply 3611/08/2012

I want Ann to be so distraught she would want a divorce from Mittens.

by Anonymousreply 3711/08/2012

Rick Scott kept a lot of people from voting, here in Florida. He closed down a lot of polling stations and people are too old to walk miles and then have to stand in line to vote, it's the sad truth and Marco Rubio never said a thing about the unfairness of it.

by Anonymousreply 3811/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 3911/08/2012

I can't believe they were that confident. I can see deluding themselves into thinking it was possible, but so possible they were shell shocked by the alternative... I can't get my head around that. It's a hell of a bubble. We're lucky they didn't actually win.

by Anonymousreply 4011/08/2012

Mormons believe that a Mormon is DESTINED to be president - nothing their opponents do will get in the way of that ... so, why worry?

by Anonymousreply 4111/08/2012

He is the first in line at family dinners. Everyone was supposed to let him be first.

by Anonymousreply 4211/08/2012

Rachel was right about Romney. He watches FoxNews and lives inside a conservative bubble. That's why he didn't know that Obama called the Benghazi an act of terrorism the day following the attacks.

He's shellshocked because Rove and FauxNews convinced him that the polls were really tight and Nate Silver didn't know what he was talking about.

Maybe just maybe if the GOP would watch MSNBC a few times a week, they'd be more informed. Obama tunes into Fox New to get Conservative POV.

by Anonymousreply 4311/08/2012

They didn't merely attack Nate Silver's math, they personally attacked him. Quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 4411/08/2012

I can understand that their constituents are dumb and misinformed living in their little imaginary Fox News molded world. However, I find it puzzling that people in the highest echelons of the party who were heavily involved in the campaign were so delusional. No matter what bullshit they have to say in front of the TV cameras and at rallies, they must have known what was in the cards (close elections at best, with Obama being the favorite to win based on all available indicators.) I am sure that they even had their moles within the opposing camp, so how is it possible to be so deluded in face of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

by Anonymousreply 4511/08/2012

FYI- The government did not pressure the Mormon church to back off it's racist doctrine. The Church did so willingly so they could send missionaries to Africa.

by Anonymousreply 4611/08/2012

R2 You said everything I've been saying since this began. I kept saying to Romney supporters that if he just admitted to how he made his millions and said while it is legal, he realized it was not good for this country and he would try and change it. Not once, never. This is why I could not consider him for my vote. It wasn't that Obama is so great it's that Romney was so wrong for the job.

I am also enjoying hearing political pundits concede that the Republican party needs to totally revamp itself to include women and gays as prominent figures of their party and to relax some of the right wing extremist views and come to the moderate center. Maybe then I will give them a look. Until then, maybe Paul Ryan and Sarah Palin can get together and go bowling.

by Anonymousreply 4711/08/2012

Who's writing the book about this campaign?

by Anonymousreply 4811/08/2012

Can't help but wonder if the powers that be who are behind vote rigging and voter suppression decided to hold back this time because there was much clearer support and enthusiasm for Obama. Much more so than for Kerry in 2004. So maybe TPTB were telling Mitt it was in the bag all along, but then decided against a 2004 replay at the last minute.

That would explain it. As people said, his campaign people couldn't have been so stupid as to think they *legitimately* had it in the bag. Nobody likes the guy, for starters.

by Anonymousreply 4911/08/2012

[quote] How could they be THIS delusional?

Romney is a damn liar. He has flipped on almost every statement he has ever said. There entire campaign was just a bunch of lies. 100% lies. They lied to everyone, including themselves. He is a guy who had everything handed to him. He was wrong

by Anonymousreply 5011/08/2012

I'm still high as a kite with elation from Tuesday night!

by Anonymousreply 5111/08/2012

He had a victory fireworks display planned for Boston. All set up and ready to go.

by Anonymousreply 5211/08/2012

[quote] I am also enjoying hearing political pundits concede that the Republican party needs to totally revamp itself to include women and gays as prominent figures of their party and to relax some of the right wing extremist views and come to the moderate center.

The pundits say this every four years. They've been saying it for at least 20 years and it hasn't happened. I remember back in the 1990s when women like Susan Molinari and Christie Todd Whitman were being touted as the new moderate, female voice of the GOP. We were told that the GOP was becoming a "big tent" party. It never happened. It never will.

by Anonymousreply 5311/08/2012

[quote]Who's writing the book about this campaign?

Fran Lebowitz

by Anonymousreply 5411/08/2012

[quote] I absolutely believe he was shocked. He has spent a lifetime getting everything he wanted. I really don't think he had a concession speech, he didn't feel it would be an issue.

He didn't have a concession speech. Romney admitted it. Actually he proudly told a reporter the day of the election that he only wrote an acceptance speech

by Anonymousreply 5511/08/2012

[quote]Susan Molinari and Christie Todd Whitman

by Anonymousreply 5611/08/2012

[quote] He has spent a lifetime getting everything he wanted.

He wanted a U.S. Senate seat in 1994 but lost to Ted Kennedy. He wanted the GOP presidential nomination in 2008 but lost to John McCain. This wasn't his first loss.

by Anonymousreply 5711/08/2012

[quote]Romney isn't dumb.

R9. Yes, he is. He's also delusional. He's book smart. He's not street smart. He wouldn't know reality if it bit him in the ass. But he's learning very quickly today as reality settles in.

He's lived in a protective bubble all his life with people telling him how wonderful he is. He believed his own handlers all of his life.

It may have been a private room, but with an open microphone, he calmly and matter of factly told a group of donors that he basically didn't care about 47 percent of the country. Spin it anyway you want--he misspoke, he didn't mean it--it was taken out of context. He meant every word. NOW THAT'S DUMB. Nothing is private these days.

There were reports months ago that he privately told advisors that he never would have run for president if he thought he would have had to release his taxes. THAT'S DUMB.

He continued to criticize 'Obamacare;' otherwise known as the Affordable Health Care Act, knowing that he had already passed 'Romneycare' which was the blueprint for Obamacare. THAT's DUMB.

Romney took a trip overseas this summer,and before he had barely even landed, he proceeded to insult Great Britain about its Olympics preparations. Meanwhile he received an infusion of about $348 million from the U.S. government so that he could "run" the Salt Lake City Olympics. THAT'S DUMB and RUDE.

Romney couldn't read the writing on the wall. For such a wealthy "numbers" man, he refused to believe statistics. THAT'S DUMB.

And on top of being dumb, he's arrogant. And the two together are a lethal combination.

And not only is he dumb, his campaign manager (Matt Coates?) is dumb. His advisor Kevin Madden is dumb, clueless and arrogant. And his spokesperson Eric Ferhnstrom is dumber than dumb. He's rude, arrogant, an asshole, a douchebag. You name it. Romney is also an insulated, unlikeable douchebag. He's too dumb to realize that you have surround yourself with smart people.

Many of Romney's advisors were with him for his run in 2008. He didn't learn. NOW THAT'S DUMB.

by Anonymousreply 5811/08/2012

Thom Hartmann mentioned this piece in his show today. He said that Mitt has believed since birth that he was destined to become president of the United States as the fulfillment of a Mormon legend known as the White Horse prophecy. THAT'S why he was so shocked. He really believed that he was this great religious man of destiny.

by Anonymousreply 5911/08/2012

If you scroll down on R19's White People Mourning Romney site, there is an absolutely wicked photo of two women grieving and weeping, and the woman next to them sucking on a cocktail out of a straw, non-plussed.

by Anonymousreply 6011/08/2012

Now that the big prophecy has been derailed, will he have a meltdown? Will Mormons as a group, too?

by Anonymousreply 6111/08/2012

"The White Horse Prophecy is a statement purported to have been made in 1843 by Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, regarding the future of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons) and the United States of America. The Latter Day Saints, according to the prophecy, would "go to the Rocky Mountains and ... be a great and mighty people", identified figuratively with the White Horse described in the Revelation of John. The prophecy further predicts that the United States Constitution will one day "hang like a thread" and will be saved "by the efforts of the White Horse"."

" Revelation 6:2 >> "I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest."

by Anonymousreply 6211/08/2012

The reason Romney seems so "off" is that he is truly not like the rest of us. He's not even like other rich adults from rich families. Most people lose or fail at something meaningful to them at some point. For the rich and lucky, it demonstrates that the world will hurt those with charmed lives just like everyone else. It is essential that this takes place fairly early.

Romney grew up rich, met his future wife when they were teenagers, got into the schools he wanted, became a business success and a Bishop in his church, he had five healthy sons, became an even bigger business success, then an Olympic success, then Governor of MA, then nominee.

He lost one senate race in his forties and one bid for the Republican nomination in his sixties. That's why he's so fucking weird.

by Anonymousreply 6311/08/2012

He also had a website for his transition from president-elect to president complete with new slogans and logo.

[quote] President-elect Romney is working closely with his transition team to put together his administration to ensure a smooth transfer of power on January 20th, 2013 and get to work for the American people.

by Anonymousreply 6411/08/2012

The first mistake Republicans made is thinking if they went uber-conservative it would galvanize this massive base of social conservatives who would come out in droves to support them.

What they were two dumb to realize is that that base is largely centered in states they were already going to win, so their votes are meaningless.

The second thing they are going to have to realize is they are going to have to remove "pro-life" from their platform.

They're never going to get blacks, Latinos, etc. but they have GOT to get more support from women if they have any hopes of getting back in the White House, and that is never going to happen when the put forth candidates who are aggressively anti-abortion.

by Anonymousreply 6611/08/2012

Romney and his crowd are more clueless than I thought. I do not know how he was "shellshocked"; it was not like he had a 10% lead going into the election or was ever given a projected lead in the electoral vote. Like a lot of rich, entitled people I think the Romneys just assumed they would win because they wanted to. He is a major jackass.

by Anonymousreply 6711/08/2012

Romney was the last candidate standing after all the other frontrunners flamed out, none of them was fit to become president.

I was worried that Romney and the repugnantcan'ts were going to steal another election. the shelf life of the tricks that worked in 2000, 2004 and 2008 expired and more people were paying attention. Fool me once...

Obama lost re-votes from earlier supporters such as myself because of a range of unkempt promises, silence on racism and poverty, and alliances with Wall Street.

I felt fairly safe voting Green in California and decided to go with someone who best represented my values.

an election night quote from Ben Jealous has really stuck with me:

“You don’t vote for someone to make a change, you vote for someone who can make it easier for you to make a change. You don’t lose the responsibility of making change. We have to stay in movement mode.”

by Anonymousreply 6811/08/2012

It was amazing to watch the election night pictures of people standing in line for hours to vote.

Inevitably, those lines where full of African Americans, Latinos, young people, urban voters who you know were enduring the misery of standing in line for hours to vote for Obama. Precisely the kind of voters the Republicans hoped to discourage and send home.

Not much talk about it, but that degree of dedication, enthusiasm, and engagement is stunning, and really encouraging.

No matter what anyone says, Americans care passionately about their government and their role in their governance.

by Anonymousreply 6911/08/2012

I'm glad I voted, there were some rough crowds and some sketchy people when waiting that long, I didn't exactly feel safe, but I got away safely and went home to watch the results.

by Anonymousreply 7011/08/2012

I would love to see more photos, R69.

Those people are the real heroes.

by Anonymousreply 7111/08/2012

I didn't know 'sketchy' people voted.

by Anonymousreply 7211/08/2012

Romney was the best candidate they had, except for Huntsman (who would never have been nominated). He made it fairly close by being able to shapeshift.

by Anonymousreply 7311/08/2012

But he became a success in business because he was pretty much like a criminal...if there is sin...Romney has sinned, big time. He should be ashamed of himself.

by Anonymousreply 7411/08/2012

R61, Mormons ABSOLUTELY are having meltdowns. Big time.

I'm from a big LDS community in east TX and for purely perverted/curiousity reasons am 'friends' with tons of them on FB. Most I grew up with. Hell, my brother is a Bishop in my former ward. I have deep LDS roots on both sides of my family going back to the 1800's/pioneers.

Their reactions are horrific to me - even though I left the church 20 years ago (though I am constantly hounded to come back), I never realized HOW hardcore in their beliefs the kids I grew up with had become. Yes they absolutely believe(d) a Mormon would become president, that it was prophecied.

Almost all of them are saying it's end times, that at the last General COnference the Prophet told them "right now is as good as things will get" meaning we are in the Latter Days no matter who got elected. Lots of them are falling back on those words as comfort and some are even saying it's good Obama got elected because it will now hasten Jesus' coming back to Earth to battle Satan (Obama).

Mormons are VERY insular, very very very cliquish (I cannot stress this enough), great at lying to your face, and utterly delusional. It REALLY, REALLY is a cult. The one redeeming quality they posess is that they are very service oriented and do a lot in their communities. However, most of that is geared toward helping just members of the church.

When I was a kid I was expected to pay 10% of my allowance for tithing, then babysitting money, etc. My parents scraped by on about $60K a year in the 70's/80's but $6,000 of that went to the church. You have to pay 10%. If you are not current on your tithing you cannot maintain your temple recommend, and without doing temple work you can't get into the Celestial Kingdom. It goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 7511/08/2012

I guess Romney and Ryan and their wives are just some of the 47% who feels entitled.

by Anonymousreply 7611/08/2012

Poor Romney's campaign--I think I'll send it a wreath.

Fuck the Mormons. I"m not LDS but I grew up in Mor(m)on country and what R75 has to say about the church and its practices is dead on.

by Anonymousreply 7711/08/2012

People who think they're on a mission from god are scary.

by Anonymousreply 7811/08/2012

I think this is the eventual fate of everyone who buys into "The Secret."

by Anonymousreply 7911/08/2012

[quote]He's book smart

Well, not really. He said his favorite book is Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard.

by Anonymousreply 8011/08/2012

[quote]So much money, so much delusion

by Anonymousreply 8111/08/2012

For the same reason as OP, I started the internal polling thread.

This thread has some of the most refreshing and insightful remarks I've seen recently.

by Anonymousreply 8211/08/2012

We had momentum! All we needed was two more years!

by Anonymousreply 8311/08/2012

R75, I appreciate your comments. I'm still in total shock how quickly all of my religious/fundie/LDS former friends went from enviably positive and peaceful in their outlook on life to fearful and anxious in talking about the "end of times" they expected to happen "just around the corner." How mentally destructive for their kids. Another thread discusses depression and suicide; I wonder if there is a correlation.

by Anonymousreply 8411/08/2012

[quote]Another nice tidbit to remember about this election: the Mormon church spent 130 years of its history practicing blatant, hard-core racism against blacks (until Fed. gov't. pressure forced them to moderate their race policies in the late '70s).

r18, I'm surprised this wasn't brought up at all in the campaign. I can understand that one's religion is off-limits ... up to a point. Romney wasn't just someone sitting in the pews and singing, he was a leader, in a church that officially excluded black people from the priesthood. And he wasn't a kid, he was in his 30s when they stopped.

That should figure into the discussion when you are running for POTUS. It's not trivial.

by Anonymousreply 8511/08/2012

[quote]But he became a success in business because he was pretty much like a criminal...

That's the Mormon way. Never do business with a Mormon, they'll cheat you every time.

by Anonymousreply 8611/08/2012

they drink like fish too, when no other mormons are looking.

by Anonymousreply 8711/08/2012

People wanted to attack JFK for being a Catholic, but he said he would keep it separate, he ran on keeping his religion out of public life.

Romney said religion should be a part of public life/government, repeatedly, yet the press did not ask him questions about what his religious beliefs were.

by Anonymousreply 8811/08/2012

he's not smart or good at anything. i'm so glad he got slapped in the face oh but good.

by Anonymousreply 8911/08/2012

I knew several families of Mormons years ago. They refused to imbibe evil caffeine so they refused coffee or tea, but they drank hot chocolate like it was water.

by Anonymousreply 9011/08/2012

It's so rare that we get to see someone of this ilk brought so low so quickly.

I can't help but delight in it.

You had it coming, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 9111/08/2012

So glad we don't have a party and a person as out of touch and clueless as this "in charge".

by Anonymousreply 9211/08/2012

Romney and Rove were so sure the election was in the bag . Why? As long as the race was close they had a chance to rig. Despite the polls, the governor of Pennsylvania was sure they were going to win, so was Ohio. I know there is no proof but they thought they were going to win because they thought they bought the election. These people are not that dumb to disregard the polls. Something was up.

by Anonymousreply 9311/08/2012

If you think "middle class" Americans earn $250,000/yr., reality is not your strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 9411/08/2012

ITA r93. which is why we need paper ballots in every precinct in every state. There was a paper written that showed how Romney mysteriously had odds-defying wins in the primaries but only in larger precincts where it would go unnoticed.

This administration really needs to pass national standards for elections.

by Anonymousreply 9511/08/2012

Romney may be a Mormon, but he is first and foremost an opportunist. I don't think he holds any strong convictions beyond what benefits him personally, Mormonism not being an exception.

by Anonymousreply 9611/08/2012

it will last a week, get over yourself. Then it will be 24 hours of reality star bullshit for the next year

by Anonymousreply 9811/08/2012

Buh bye, R97!

by Anonymousreply 9911/08/2012

[quote]Romney may be a Mormon, but he is first and foremost an opportunist.

Most Mormons are opportunists; it's part of the deal. They believe that wealth is sign that you're a good person and god is smiling on you--no matter how you happened to accumulate that wealth.

by Anonymousreply 10011/08/2012

I thought for sure he'd win. So glad the voting public surprised me.

But Mitt will get over it; he's got tons of dough.

by Anonymousreply 10211/08/2012

Oh the irony, R101!

by Anonymousreply 10411/08/2012

I very much enjoyed this article.

"Of all the indignities involved in losing a presidential race, none is more stark than the sudden emptiness of your entourage. The Secret Service detail guarding Governor Romney since Feb 1 stood down quickly. He had ridden in a 15-car motorcade to the Intercontinental Hotel in Boston for his concession speech. He rode in a single-car motorcade back across the Charles River to Belmont. His son, Tagg, did the driving."

by Anonymousreply 10511/08/2012

Is that a promise, R103? Don't tease.

by Anonymousreply 10711/08/2012

[quote]A true leader invites those who supported the losers to participate in a show of unity for the same country

Just what we need, R97. Maybe the President should invite Romney to move into the Lincoln Bedroom so they can present a unified front for the nation. You're brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 10811/08/2012

[quote]Mormons are VERY insular, very very very cliquish (I cannot stress this enough), great at lying to your face, and utterly delusional. It REALLY, REALLY is a cult. The one redeeming quality they posess is that they are very service oriented and do a lot in their communities. However, most of that is geared toward helping just members of the church.

True, true, true on every count. They also teach young people that non-Mormons are never to be completely trusted, which is how I think they feel justified in lying while remaining "godly."

And they do do a lot in their communities - if you're a Mormon in good standing and you fall on hard times, they'll help you - but they're suspicious of outsiders, some to the point of paranoia. I think a lot of Mitt Romney's awkwardness with the electorate wasn't because he was rich, it was because of his religion.

by Anonymousreply 10911/08/2012

Fuck off, r101.

He spend shit loads of money and got SQUAT. He deserves to be laughed at for thinking he could buy whatever he wanted.

And won't YOU be surprised when all of your doomsday nonsense doesn't come to pass? Or haven't you been paying attention?

Unemployment is down. Housing is recovering. Sure, things are going very slowly but slow and steady is what we need. What we don't need is a vulture running the car back over the cliff.

by Anonymousreply 11011/08/2012

Have you left yet, R103/R106?

by Anonymousreply 11111/08/2012

Do you think Anne gave him a blow job to help him out of his funk? Anne still sucks dick, right?

by Anonymousreply 11211/08/2012

Serious question: Do conservative and/or Christian wives give blowjobs, especially those of the older generation like Anne? I am genuinely fascinated by this.

by Anonymousreply 11311/08/2012

[quote]Singapore is looking more attractive as a home country by the day.

Godspeed, R103. I hope your first caning is painful.

by Anonymousreply 11411/08/2012

The People have spoken:

There will be NO magic underwear in the White House!

by Anonymousreply 11511/08/2012

No, r113.

It's sinful.

by Anonymousreply 11611/08/2012

Highlighting Romney lies = gloating? Thanks so much for the input, R97.

[quote]. A true leader invites those who supported the losers to participate in a show of unity for the same country which allows even hotly contested elections to be conducted without violence.

And yet it is only the extreme right that is discussing, and some outright threatening, violence. How does that work for you? A stunned candidate caught offguard by his own lies and arrogance blinking at the camera and telling us he'd pray for Obama and American or whatnot? That's quite a message of confidence he gave out there, isn't? Outright throwing himself into unity and whatnot. He knows he has gun-toting lunatics on his side. After all, Glenn Beck his fellow Mormon, was telling folks to buy guns and farms (not sure the order).

Some of Mitt's folks are fomenting, threatening and posturing all about armed revolution. What does that mean to you? Treason? Sedition? What?

by Anonymousreply 11711/08/2012

R97 is posting from reverseland.

by Anonymousreply 11811/08/2012

"unkempt promises"

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 11911/08/2012

[quote] "unkempt promises"

The messiest kind.

by Anonymousreply 12011/08/2012

"These people are not that dumb to disregard the polls. Something was up."

Agreed. Someone powerful told Romney/Rove they were going to win--it was just a fact to them--and then something unexpected happened. Dem turnout probably... Just an electorate and establishment that disliked Romney beyond what anyone could measure?

by Anonymousreply 12111/08/2012

As evidence of the Romney campaign's sincere belief that the former Massachusetts governor would emerge victorious on Tuesday night, the Boston Globe reported Thursday that it had planned to fete Romney's election with an eight-minute display of fireworks over Boston Harbor.

Stunning arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 12211/08/2012

Romney ended up with millions of votes less than McCain did 4 years ago. I'd wager those same people didn't vote for Obama this time, either.... so I wonder how many of them stayed home specifically because of Romney's religion.

by Anonymousreply 12311/08/2012

Keep it coming, r97.

That's the type of crazy that lost you the election in the first place.

Keep it coming. We'll gladly give you all the rope you need.

by Anonymousreply 12411/08/2012

I think they lulled themselves into groupthink, and their flaw was they did not respect the women and minorities that voted enough to believe they'd actually come out and vote.

by Anonymousreply 12511/08/2012

Hey Mitt and Ann,

Nevermind, we don't want to see your taxes. As a matter of fact, we don't even want to see you ever again.

You thought running was hard? How about receiving one of the worst shellackings in electoral history? That must be pretty hard too, I would guess.

Winning is the best revenge.

Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 12611/08/2012

Get real R97. Whom do you think the democrats were wrestling with, the Girl Scouts?

by Anonymousreply 12711/08/2012

I can see how they got overconfident. Look at how easily he crushed the other Republican contenders in the primary. All he had to do is carpet bomb them with advertising. I'm sure he assumed he could do the same with the national election and he had practically unlimited money to do so, what with the PACs and the billionaires and his own money. So they didn't even bother with the on-the-ground GOTV community organizing. And the rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 12811/08/2012

"Look at how easily he crushed the other Republican contenders in the primary"

After they ran out of money &/or sanity

by Anonymousreply 12911/08/2012

Bill Maher was right. This is part of the bubble in which Romney and company live. To them, the job numbers lie, the climate scientists lie, the evolutionary biologists lie and the pollsters lie.

This is to the effect that they're wrong on everything, because any empirically proven results are to be scorned. I have no problem believing that Romney and his supporters really did think that he'd win because Nate Silver and the other pollsters were lying.

by Anonymousreply 13011/08/2012

There was vote shenanigans going on in the primaries too. Remember when Santorum won, then all of a sudden he didn't?

by Anonymousreply 13111/08/2012

[quote]he had practically unlimited money to do so, what with the PACs and the billionaires and his own money.

President Obama had money too. The Romneys didn't count on actual voters equaling the billionaire's spending with their $20 and $40 donations. In the Republican world, these "little people" don't count. The Republican world is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 13211/08/2012

This is wild! I've had three abortions JUST TODAY!

by Anonymousreply 13311/08/2012

Delusional arrogance leads to shellshock syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 13411/09/2012

You are correct, R10. Liars assume everyone else is lying too.

I don't think the planned fireworks display or the President-elect website were out-of-the-ordinary preparations for an impending election. Things like that have to be ready to go at a moment's notice, even if it turns out you won't need them. It would have been sillier not to have a web-page prepared.

by Anonymousreply 13511/09/2012

no, it's silly to have posted it on the fucking internet. it shouldn't have been anywhere near a computer on a server. the fireworks displays, in Massachusetts. weird.

by Anonymousreply 13611/09/2012

R136, Just talked to a former MA resident. He said that MA automatically reelected officials, except for MR, who was almost recalled after just a few months in office.

So who pays for the unused fireworks and fees?

by Anonymousreply 13711/09/2012

The fact he was "shell-shocked" is the final indication of why this man should never have been a serious contender for the presidency.

He is truly as demented, disengaged, irrational, self-entitled and smug as he has appeared to be.

Shell-shocked. Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 13811/09/2012

Give it a rest, freepturd.

by Anonymousreply 14111/09/2012

The CBS article serves mostly as a vehicle for Romney aides to leak their preferred version of history to the press.

It contains a bunch of inaccuracies. For example, it's not true that Republicans didn't turn out and Romney got 2 million fewer votes than McCain.

More than 10 million votes are counted in the days after Election Day. When they are all counted, Romney's vote totals will easily surpass McCain's. It's simply not true that Romney could've won because they didn't do enough to turn out their base.

by Anonymousreply 14411/09/2012

R90, caffeine isn't prohibited. Coffee and tea are; this comes from the Word of Wisdom in Doctrine & Covenants. Alcohol is also forbidden. You can read the Word of Wisdom at the link. It details which foods and drinks are forbidden and which ones are encouraged.

by Anonymousreply 14611/09/2012

Give it a rest, assbrain.

by Anonymousreply 14911/09/2012

All this tells me is that a bunch of rank amateurs ran his campaign. Including him. What an entitled bunch of assholes. I've worked on campaigns. Presidential campaigns, statewide campaigns, and local campaigns. By at least two or three days before election day, if not a week or two, you know.

You know. And you have to tell the candidate. You might not want to tell them too soon if they can't act well. But you tell them. I think they knew. They were just angry and outraged that they lost such a close election.

Except it wasn't close. It ends up being a 51% to 48% win. It ends up with Obama taking 323 Electoral votes and a Three million plus popular votes margin. So they knew. They knew it would be close, because they spent billions to make it close.

But it was a poorly run campaign. Anyone could see how flawwed their judgement was. When you blatantly lie about Jeeps going to Japan, and the top guys at both Chrysler & GM call you a liar, but you leave the ads up? That's demonstrable of a poorly run campaign.

And any time you can say, "We can win if we just had two more weeks!" that's a poorly planned, poorly run campaign. Amateurs or liars? I say a little of both. Because like I said. You know.

by Anonymousreply 15011/09/2012

This tells me the entire mindset of Republicans is the same as it was when Bush charged into war with Iraq based on bogus, hearing only what he wanted to hear, intel. Their eyes/ears closed bubble they have chosen to live in is frightening and dangerous for this country. I'm Soooo happy Romney didn't win. His standard operational procedure appears to be just like Bush, he would've been another disaster all over again.

by Anonymousreply 15311/09/2012

LOL -- R152 he thinks he "wins" if he gets in the last word.

Game over, loser. Your side was crushed. Let me know if you need a sword for harakiri.

by Anonymousreply 15411/09/2012

R152/R151/etc., we're still waiting for that hyperinflation you've been promising for years.

by Anonymousreply 15511/09/2012

[quote]The use of wine, strong drinks, tobacco, and hot drinks is proscribed

Thanks, R146. We assumed the ban was on caffeine. Hot chocolate or cocoa is as much a "hot drink" as coffee or tea, so that's even odder.

by Anonymousreply 15611/09/2012

R152, considering you threw in an "OWEbama" in your second post, I don't see that you have much room to complain about others name calling.

I just paged through some comments at Politico, mainly from conservatives claiming Romney was going to win, and every other post had some variation of "libtard" or something equally bad. Republicans are FAR worse when it comes to name calling.

by Anonymousreply 15711/09/2012

[quote]Lazy bums, the unskilled, and those who take from those who make now outnumber those who actually create wealth, and will until all wealth is depleted.

That seems to be the meme of the last 48 hours: the notion that all Romney voters are successful capitalists, and that all Obama voters are on the dole somehow.

It's the disproven theory of trickle-down economics, except with a nasty new twist. At least the trickle-down theory had the fiction of a few crumbs of gold "trickling" down to the lower classes. Now they're not even pretending a rising tide will lift all ships; they're just telling those who are struggling to make it that they'll always be bums.

It's the 47% attitude in action.

I don't keep up with Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Beck, etc. but I'll bet they've been hitting it constantly. That's the only way it could have taken root so quickly and consistently among those who lost the election.

by Anonymousreply 15811/09/2012

R157, didn't you get a copy of the rules? It's only wrong when Democrats do it.

by Anonymousreply 15911/09/2012

[quote]The church doesn't apply its rules to non-Mormons, and they say that children are treated as adults, yet expected to behave like children. I know of no other religion that is this tolerant.

by Anonymousreply 16011/09/2012

Although it is likely that Romney would have lost anyway, the 47% comment was the defining moment of the 2012 campaign. It was the most honest insight we got into the character of Mitt Romney.

It is worth remembering that the Mainstream Media only began covering the 47% comment after people heard and spread the news of it themselves on the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 16111/09/2012

My neighbor actually said today that he's pissed because his taxes are going up. I wisely said nothing but thought to myself, "AS IF!" He barely makes 60 grand I'm sure, max, and he's thinking he's all wealthy and and among the 1%.

by Anonymousreply 16211/09/2012

I just don't understand ANYONE who's job could be outsourced would vote for Romney. I'm all for collecting unemployment, but there has to be an easier way to do it.

by Anonymousreply 16311/09/2012

R156, you're welcome. It's a common misconception. Explanation I heard was that prophecy refers and applies to coffee and non-herbal tea as "hot drinks." Hot chocolate has of course been around for ages, and I don't know why it's excluded. I don't know if "hot drinks" was or is an LDS-ism like "study it up." Who knows with LDS? They have some very peculiar ways. R75's post is spot-on.

by Anonymousreply 16411/09/2012

R163. I don't understand how any woman could vote for Romney. And Romney lost the Latino vote big time 70 to 30 percent. But who are these 30 percent who voted for a douchebag who showed no affinity toward the Latino population.

And lastly, Romney lost the gay vote about 77 to 23 percent. Who the hell are these gays who voted for Romney? Why? Romney was flatout scornful of gays and their place in society. Twenty-three percent are a hell of a lot of people kissing this douchebag's ass.

by Anonymousreply 16511/09/2012

I hope someone made a documentary of the Romney campaign. I want to see all the stuff that went down behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 16611/09/2012

R165 someone posted earlier that the number of Log Cabin Republicans has remained around 25% for some time.

As for Latinos, aren't Cuban-Americans nearly always Republicans?

I live in New Mexico and the current governor is Susanna Martinez, a Latino Republican. I understand her family became Republican after they came from Mexico and accumulated some money. She has been stymied in trying to force most of her agenda on an unwilling state, but the uptight bitch has managed to keep most of those suffering from cancer in the state from getting medical marijuana. I'm sure she goes to sleep at night happy about the pain she brings to them.

I've known a smattering of Latino Republicans and they've all come from families who have money. There are some fairly conservative Mexicans who would probably become Republicans if they emigrated to the U.S.

There's an airbase in the city where I live, as well as a number of other military facilities in the southern part of the state and a too large group of military retirees who come here for the low cost of living and year-round golf. They tend to cluster together and except for trying to strangle the lifestyle of Silver City, an arts community where they settled, and electing a repressive right-winger to Congress, I don't know that they bother anybody. The wives vote Republican just as their husbands do.

I get a little feeling of retribution when I see those women because I can tell by looking at them that none of them has never had an orgasm.

by Anonymousreply 16711/09/2012

R165, there will always be a minority of gay voters who are Republican. We saw a few here during the election.

Look at self-loather Richard Grennell - he still defends the GOP even though he was fired by the Romney campaign for being gay.

by Anonymousreply 16811/09/2012

Really r167? Are you really going with the classic "those chicks just need a good fuck"- type of post? Come on.

by Anonymousreply 16911/09/2012

Absolutely not, R169. No sex for the Stepford wives.

#1, I revel in the fact that they have never had fun.

#2, I seriously doubt they have any desire to get laid.

#3, I don't know anyone who would do them.

by Anonymousreply 17011/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 17111/09/2012

Some one in that campaign knew the truth as early as Saturday, November third. Ann Romney was visibly shaken and appeared to have been crying. Rudy Guiliani went absolutely nuts on Piers Morgan Saturday night screaming that Obama stunk and should be fired. Who behaves that way if your side is winning? It was so obvious that Rove, Crypthammer, Morris, Guiliani and the other pundits and campaign operatives were all lying when they said Romney was going to win. Perhaps it's possible that the bad news was kept from Romney and Ryan in hopes that the fix was in or the polls were wrong. But I think there had to be somebody in that campaign who was smart enough to know that Nate Silver was right.

by Anonymousreply 17211/09/2012

No, they were simply delusional.

by Anonymousreply 17311/09/2012

Well, I guess that's the last time they will hire a mirror as consultant.

'Mirror, mirror on the wall! Who's gonna be President of them all?'

by Anonymousreply 17411/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 17511/09/2012

Pass some "tea" to R176, please.

by Anonymousreply 17711/09/2012

[quote]Lazy bums, the unskilled, and those who take from those who make now outnumber those who actually create wealth,

Enough with the "makers vs. the takers" crap. This unfounded meme is being repeated all over every teabagger message board, and is about as meaningful and mature as calling somebody "freepturd" and the like.

I suspect that r158 is correct; Fox News, Limbaugh, and their ilk must be pushing this false notion hard in the wake of Obama's reelection. I also suspect that a lot of "low-information voter" types heard about the 47% who don't pay (federal income) taxes and assumed it to mean that 47% of the country is on the dole--in many case, I'll warrant, without ever realizing that they themselves belong to the 47%!

The facts are that about 4% of Americans are on welfare and a very slightly higher percentage receive food stamps. This hardly adds up to "all Obama supporters get handouts" or "those who take from those who make now outnumber those who actually create wealth." Then again, we have already learned that Republicans don't believe in math ...

by Anonymousreply 17811/09/2012

There are alarm bells ringing in my head...

SOMETHING which the Repugs were relying on didn't happen (voter fraud? Hacked machines?)...

For instance, Rove looked like someone had kicked him in the stomach, and Romney seemed supremely taken aback that he'd lost...

by Anonymousreply 17911/09/2012

I've been listening to AM radio and all they talk about is the 'makers vs takers' crap.

It seems to have worked as planned; low-income people who are also low-IQ believe they are being robbed so Obama Clause can bribe the voters with handouts.

What I don't get is how Romney thought the 47% meme would work with the rich people he was speaking to in that hidden video. Clearly they would be less gullible? or so i thought. I wonder how it was received when he originally said it.

by Anonymousreply 18011/09/2012

Most of the tea party and other republicans are living in delusion. I totally believe Romney and Ryan were shocked. They believed their own lies.

Arianna Huffington described GW and his staff as "fanatics" who refused to acknowledge any facts contrary to their beliefs (this was just BEFORE we invaded Iraq). The republican party has since become a party of fanatics with no connection to reality.

I saw a post on FB that described the northeastern US as "urban, mostly high-rise, more on assistance than not." Completely absurd beliefs...

by Anonymousreply 18111/09/2012

[quote]My neighbor actually said today that he's pissed because his taxes are going up. I wisely said nothing but thought to myself, "AS IF!" He barely makes 60 grand I'm sure, max, and he's thinking he's all wealthy and and among the 1%.

Ha, r162, I would not be all surprised if our resident Singapore-bound freeper has a lot in common with your neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 18211/09/2012

People have very little sense of what 'middle class' means. Maybe people think if you make 6 figures you're in the Romney bracket. Nowhere near.

People like r182's neighbor don't see how the Romneys and Bushes control things but don't pay for them. They are the true 'takers'. The financial system is rigged in their favor. That is what is siphoning from the rest of us. Not taxes and welfare.

by Anonymousreply 18311/09/2012

R139, you clearly understand nothing of macro-economics.

by Anonymousreply 18411/09/2012

I love that article OP, all this misery couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I grew up in Salt Lake City, but my family was not Mormon. We were absolutely treated like outsiders by the Mormons. Neighbors wouldn't let their kids play with me and my brother because our family would be a bad influence (my parents smoking was apparently a big part of that). Many of the after-school activities took place in the church ward houses. Things improved a lot when we moved to a less Mormon neighborhood when I was in high school.

Not sure if it's accurate or just gossip, but the story I always heard is that the church started allowing blacks to participate because the Boy Scouts, which were based in the church, were threatening to walk. Blacks were always allowed, but they weren't allowed to have leadership positions in the church (which starts at a young age for boys), and leadership in the church was at one time required to have a leadership position in the Boy Scouts.

The other story I always heard is that caffeine was prohibited until the Mormon Church decided to buy some Coca Cola distributors, at which point Mormons were magically allowed to drink Coke.

by Anonymousreply 18511/09/2012

I can't wait for Bill Maher's show tonite. He has been saying for months that the repugs live in an unpenetrable bubble. No truth is allowed inside the bubble, no facts, nothing but the official party bullshit.

I am thinking today the same thoughts I had on Nov 9 2008: the Republican party is allowing itself to implode. It is survival of the fittest. McCain was a sacrifice and so was Romney. The Eisenhouer group must die off and be replaced by a generation that sees truth and doesn't dodge it. That may take till the next decade to happen. But it's coming. the king is dead. Long live the king.

by Anonymousreply 18611/09/2012

It is very hard for a group that has been the majority since this country started to accept the reality of being a minority.

by Anonymousreply 18711/09/2012

Harder when you're hateful... oh well......

by Anonymousreply 18811/09/2012

Mitt Romney's reason for being 'shellshocked' is understandable and relatively simple to explain: he truly believed he was fulfilling a prophecy. It didn't matter that the numbers didn't add up. It didn't matter that he told lies at every turn. All that mattered was that from childhood, he believed he was the answer to the prophecy of a Mormon taking control of the USA under the prophecy of the 'White Horse'. When you have a belief so deeply ingrained, commonsense is never going to be applicable.

As a Christian, hearing someone refer to themselves as fulfilling the prophecy of the White Horse has to be frightening; to most Christians, the Pale (or White) Horse is not something to welcome but to Mormons, it is. This is why so many Evangelical Christians flat out refused to vote for Romney and some called him satanic. They saw his White Horse prophecy as meaning he was ushering in the apocalypse and was the anti-Christ.

He's a scary figure.

by Anonymousreply 18911/09/2012

Actually R187, historically Democrats have been more numerous than Republicans.

I guess Ryan and all those smart guys paid no attention to the smartest guy- Nate Silver- who really did not do anything so damn smart. He simply used statistics (scientific methods) to predict what would happen.

So their surprise or shock, if this is really true- is sort of proof that the Repub leadership is not very good at assessing reality- and good for us because we do want leaders who make decisions based on data and accurate analysis of the data.

by Anonymousreply 19011/09/2012

If he truly believes he's on a mission from God, why do we assume he's going away?

He could be planning for 2016 right this minute, and based on his recent results, the number of supporters he has, and the mountain of money at his disposal, you can make the case that he's the leading contender, especially if the economy stumbles.

by Anonymousreply 19111/09/2012

I have a really hard time believing this shit. I think this is all bullshit.

It's PR crap to feed their followers down the path of conspiracy, doubt, and denial.

With all their money you can't tell me they didn't have ONE decent statistician or analyst who saw this coming - at least in the day leading up to the end.

Even if they were so pompous as to not hire someone themselves, SOMONE in their campaign must have gone over Nate Silver's numbers and considered the possibility.

This is all just another leg hogwash bullshit campaign to deligitimize the win. Bullshit. bullshit bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 19211/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 19311/09/2012

I don't think anyone's going to back that horse again, r191. In 4 years the demographics of this country will be even LESS white.

by Anonymousreply 19411/09/2012

it's incredible that Romney hadn't written a concession speech even Obama had one just in case

by Anonymousreply 19511/09/2012

[quote]It's incredible that Romney hadn't written a concession speech

But his bunk-buddy Paul Ryan felt he needed to run for his Congressional seat.

by Anonymousreply 19611/09/2012

I love that all these Repugs are moaning that their liberty and rights are ow taken away from them now that Obama has run re-election. Excuse me?!? The Repugs wanted to take away the right to marry, the right to have control over your body, etc etc. the Democrats want to keep liberties not remove them. The Repugs are truly delusional. What they're really afraid of is that they won't be able to force their religion on others. That's the liberty they cherish.

by Anonymousreply 19711/09/2012

Why don't the Repugs admit that the Red states sin the south that went for Romney are the highest recipients of welfare and unemployment? I guess you're only a moocher and a taker if you voted for Obama. If you voted for Romney, you're just a good Chrisitian down on your luck?

by Anonymousreply 19811/09/2012

And piss off their base?

by Anonymousreply 19911/09/2012

Two things, [R191] ...

He's seen as a loser by the Republican electorate, and Lady Ann said flat out NO! a while back; this was too "hard" for her.

J o P

by Anonymousreply 20011/09/2012

Last night was payback for holding that scared gay kid down and cutting his hair. You never apologized. How does it feel, Mitt?

by Anonymousreply 20111/09/2012

[quote]Two things, [[R191]] ... He's seen as a loser by the Republican electorate, and Lady Ann said flat out NO! a while back; this was too "hard" for her.

I'm not making a case for it, or even saying it's rational, but *if* he truly believes he's on this mission from God, well Mormon mythology is all about overcoming impossible odds.

He was a loser in 2008 and he came back. If he really lives inside the bubble, and he really does believe God wants him to be president, then it's quite possible he'll run again. (And note I said "run" not "win")

As for Ann, as a good Mormon wife, she'll stfu and do whatever she's told to do.

by Anonymousreply 20211/09/2012

The Daily Beast has an article about the effect women voters had on the election. It was so nice to see the Tea Party pushed out due to there outdated beliefs!

by Anonymousreply 20311/09/2012

So Mormons can't consume hot beverages but they can consume hot meals?

by Anonymousreply 20411/09/2012

[quote]SOMETHING which the Repugs were relying on didn't happen (voter fraud? Hacked machines?)...

[quote]For instance, Rove looked like someone had kicked him in the stomach, and Romney seemed supremely taken aback that he'd lost...

I think they were counting on Husted to flip Ohio but he chickened out because of all the scrutiny.

[quote]Explanation I heard was that prophecy refers and applies to coffee and non-herbal tea as "hot drinks." Hot chocolate has of course been around for ages, and I don't know why it's excluded.

Observant LDS are scrupulous about abstaining from caffeine, but most of them scarf down sweets like their lives depend on it.

by Anonymousreply 20511/09/2012

[quote]He could be planning for 2016 right this minute, and based on his recent results, the number of supporters he has, and the mountain of money at his disposal, you can make the case that he's the leading contender, especially if the economy stumbles.

This will NEVER happen. The powers that be didn't want him to begin with (see Sheldon Adelson). He now has the stench of defeat all over his body. This will NEVER happen!!

by Anonymousreply 20711/09/2012

that white horse prophesy... more info?

by Anonymousreply 20811/09/2012

From an "insiders" view. We can Google it ourselves but what do the ExLDS members or observers have to say about the prophecy?

by Anonymousreply 20911/09/2012

Keep 'em comin', Gleep Glop!

by Anonymousreply 21011/09/2012

"I think they were counting on Husted to flip Ohio but he chickened out because of all the scrutiny."

This. Thank you, R205.

I've been half-assed, saying "well, something went wrong in Ohio because the fix was in but it didn't come off as planned" but I had no theory as to why. Husted chickened out, of course, it was right in front of me all the time.

All the shit he caught as the fix/suppression was challenged in the run up to the election must have freaked him out. He's no Katherine Harris, that's for sure. I'll bet he doesn't even have a spangly horse riding outfit for parades. Or big fake tits.

by Anonymousreply 21111/09/2012

Ohio SOS Husted is already working up a plan to steal the 2016 election for a Republican. Get rid of all of these corrupt right wingers like Husted, Rick Scott.

by Anonymousreply 21211/09/2012

[quote]What they were two dumb to realize is...

Oh, Dear!

And r60? "Nonplussed" does NOT mean "all casual and shit", it actually means "bewildered".

by Anonymousreply 21311/09/2012

R23: Keep in mind - I have a feeling a large chunk of evangelicals just held their nose and skipped voting altogether.

They still consider Mormonism suspect, as well they should!

by Anonymousreply 21411/09/2012

Was it only the Mormonism thing? I'm not sure they thought his fetus-worship was up to snuff.

by Anonymousreply 21511/09/2012

The only downside to all this is that we're going to miss seeing Harry Reid fuck with Mitt's head for the next 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 21611/09/2012

I've always heard (and spread around)that the church became kinder to blacks so that some would come to BYU and improve their basketball and football teams.

by Anonymousreply 21711/09/2012

Canceling the campaign staff's credit cards immediately makes it look like Mittens really was enraged, vengeful and hysterical at his *shocking* and *unbelievable* loss.

Like the paternalistic know-it-all he is, he's pretending to take responsibility while blaming everyone around him. I don't doubt he'll accuse Ryan of failing him in the Midwest with Wisconsin and Minnesota, and with a stronger nut-job-tea-party turn-out. And of course he'll find some greedy, money-grubbing job that will cut the throats of thousands of workers, just to show them who's boss in the "real world" of business he claims to live in.

He is worse than McCain and Bush 1, equal to Bush 2, and as despicable a political nominee there has been since Nixon. NIXON!

by Anonymousreply 21811/09/2012

Funny how people with beach houses and country club memberships can't get how the rest of us just don't see the world the same way they do.

by Anonymousreply 21911/09/2012

[quote]as despicable a political nominee there has been since Nixon. NIXON!

Nixon could empathize with the working class, having come from a working class background. For what it's worth, Nixon had more contempt for the rich and the powerful than for the poor and the needy. He never saw himself as automatically entitled to anything, let alone the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 22011/09/2012

R219, I have a both those things and don't see the world like Romney.

by Anonymousreply 22111/09/2012

R221. R219 was making a generalization to prove a point about Romney.

by Anonymousreply 22211/09/2012

It sounds like Hitler's bunker when they all realize nothing can save them.

by Anonymousreply 22311/09/2012

R208, This is a long vid for an ad but is obviously aimed at LDS Members, and includes info on the White Horse Prophecy, as well as an offensive cartoon pic of Obama.

by Anonymousreply 22411/09/2012

[quote]Canceling the campaign staff's credit cards immediately makes it look like Mittens really was enraged, vengeful and hysterical

I doubt he was personally involved.

by Anonymousreply 22511/10/2012

R225, then that makes it look even worse.

by Anonymousreply 22611/10/2012

The Mormons should have realized that the "White Horse" Great Mormon leader would not be a man who hid his tax returns. It is a grave transgression for a Mormon to lie in public about whether he tithes honestly. Mitt Romney occupies a high position in the LDS Church, higher than bishop. They would have no choice but to excommunicate him, or else risk losing millions of followers, if his tax returns told a different tale about the fulfillment of his obligation to tithe than he did.

by Anonymousreply 22711/10/2012

What is the Hitler Downfall meme worth without a 2012 election version? Sounds like this poster is British. The only one who's taken an interest in creating one.

I'm surprised there's only one, so far. The parallels between the bunkers are pretty uncanny.

by Anonymousreply 22811/10/2012

[quote]It is a grave transgression for a Mormon to lie in public about whether he tithes honestly.

How does that enter this situation? Until you actually see his tax returns, you don't khow if he tithes honestly. Maybe he even gives a bigger amount than the required percentage. It could be that he cheats the government elsewhere but not his church.

Mormons have no problem with Mormons who lie to non-Mormons. The members of the Mormon cult lie all the time in their dealings with non-Mormons.

by Anonymousreply 22911/10/2012

According to Bill Maher, Romney got fewer Mormon votes than GW Bush got, so maybe Romney believed the White Horse nonsense, but the rest of them took it with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 23011/10/2012

Since they wasted $100 million with Prop 8 being overturned and the countless millions they invested in Mittens, perhaps the Mormons can now stay the Hell out of politics and out of everyone who is not interested lives.

by Anonymousreply 23111/10/2012

[quote]How does that enter this situation? Until you actually see his tax returns, you don't khow if he tithes honestly. Maybe he even gives a bigger amount than the required percentage. It could be that he cheats the government elsewhere but not his church.

Could be, but as he won't release his taxes, we can only conclude that there must be a very serious reason for him to keep them hidden. The very presidency was at stake and he still wouldn't release them. It may be that he was a tax evader. It may also be that he was a tithe evader.

Republicans have an army of tax lawyers at their disposal to spin away any tax irregularities. But the Mormon obligation to tithe honestly is cut-and-dried, laid down very clearly by the LDS Church. Were it known that a rich and powerful Mormon lied about his tithes, it would have a devastating impact on the rank-and-file Mormons who tithe faithfully.

by Anonymousreply 23211/10/2012

[quote]But the Mormon obligation to tithe honestly is cut-and-dried, laid down very clearly by the LDS Church. Were it known that a rich and powerful Mormon lied about his tithes, it would have a devastating impact on the rank-and-file Mormons who tithe faithfully.

Beyond all of the political reasons and the gamesmanship involved, I think that this is a very particular bee that got in Harry Reid's bonnet.

by Anonymousreply 23311/10/2012

[quote] Can you imagine Romney making war time decisions based on shit intel?

No. I can't imagine it.

by Anonymousreply 23611/10/2012

R234 Women vote for the guy they'd like to fuck.

wow really? could you be more insulting or ridiculous?

by Anonymousreply 23711/10/2012

Election night was also revenge for the beautiful Seamus

I have a wonderful Irish Setter. He is the most loving, trusting dog. I just cannot imagine someone doing what Mitt and Ann Romney did.

We have a bumper sticker on our car- of a Irish Setter with "I ride inside" on it. We had much fun driving around with Riley inside, head out the window, and people noticing the bumper sticker. Lots of thumbs up and people laughing. One guy at the landscaping garden gave us free mulch - as he said it was the best thing he'd seen all day.

by Anonymousreply 23811/10/2012

I would take a pass on Bush, Kerry and Reagan. Carter would probably be a nice pleasant surprise.

by Anonymousreply 24011/10/2012

There's something about Barack that is enormously likeable. I have always thought so, but when I saw hm on the news, hugging that lady that lost everything in the hurricane, and the photo of him kneeling in front of another old lady's chair, holding her hands, it brought tears to my eyes.

He's so authentic and caring. You feel like he's going to move heaven and earth to fix things. He's probably a wonderful father and husband, and a wonderful friend. And with all that strength and compassion he also seems vulnerable.

I loved it when he was at those rallies and you could hear people shouting that they had his back. I feel protective of him. He makes you want to join him in some glorious endeavor. I'm very proud of my President.

by Anonymousreply 24311/10/2012

By denigrating those who DID vote for Obama, FOX et al. have GUARANTEED the same coalition will turn out forever!

Keep it up, boys and girls! Insult us some more! How about moving from "Takers" to, say, "Thieves"?! From "Irresponsible" to "Infantile"?!

Hey, Team Romney: It wasn't poor strategy; it wasn't a lack of personality; and it wasn't Obama's race. It's your VALUES, stupids.

by Anonymousreply 24411/10/2012

r227, it's the lack of honest tithing that I've also been convinced was behind Romney's tax-returns secrecy.

by Anonymousreply 24511/10/2012

Best statistic of the election. Mitt's tiny Massachusetts hometown of Belmont voted for President Obama 65% to 34% for Mittens! Almost 2-1 AGAINST their own townsfolk! I am from Swampscott Mass. It is also a tiny town very much the same size and population as Belmont, and everybody knows everybody, believe me. I guess the people who know him best like him the least!

by Anonymousreply 24611/10/2012

Willard The Myth ...what a freak, a legend in his own mind! His name is already but a tiny footnote in our history...

by Anonymousreply 24711/11/2012

ITA @ R243. Every word.

by Anonymousreply 24811/11/2012

It also should be noted they believed the spin that creepy Paul Ryan was the personification of youth and intelligence, whereas Joe Biden was a blithering idiot.

Sure Biden makes mistakes, but he is, and never was, the fool they made him out to be.

Ryan was an ambitious asskisser who quickly wilted in the national spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 24911/11/2012

"It also should be noted they believed the spin that creepy Paul Ryan was the personification of youth and intelligence."

Could not agree more, R249.

A forty something who allows himself to be photographed with a backwards baseball cap is neither youthful nor intelligent. In fact, it shows a complete lack of common sense, not an alien concept of acolytes of Ayn Rand.

by Anonymousreply 25011/11/2012

I also agree with R243, and I am a very wary person.

by Anonymousreply 25111/11/2012

A delicious irony is that the right has spent 5 years trying to portray Obama as "the other" - the Kenyan, the Muslim, the non-American, the socialist etc. But he's actually had a very American life and can relate to people.

Romney has run with two crowds his entire life: Mormons and the very wealthy. These are not worlds that people relate to. Everyone praised Romney's first debate performance but I thought he came off like a slightly desperate salesman- I'm offering you this amazing deal and you'd be a fool not to take it.

It's an old cliche but there's truth to the idea that people vote for the guy they'd rather have a beer with. Romney doesn't even drink beer.

by Anonymousreply 25211/11/2012

"Women vote for the guy they'd like to fuck"

No, RETARD! I vote for the guy who supports equal pay for women, reproductive self-determination, gay equality and tax policies that do not favor only the rich.

by Anonymousreply 25311/11/2012

i.e. NOT the republican.

by Anonymousreply 25411/11/2012

Well said, R243

Paul Ryan was chosen to change the conversation away from Mitt's tax returns. He actually did that - and only that.

I still want to see those tax returns.

by Anonymousreply 25511/11/2012

r243, I love you. You hit it.

by Anonymousreply 25611/11/2012

Great line from R2 "The Romneys are the type of people who woke up on third base and thought they hit a triple. "

I'm stealing it.

by Anonymousreply 25711/11/2012

Once again may I say -

If you drag out the wife and kids to make sure that your nominee is more "likeable and human", don't have them look even worse...

The fuckin' HORSE was more human than they were...

by Anonymousreply 25811/11/2012

257, were you comatose during the first presidential run of GW Bush?

by Anonymousreply 25911/11/2012

Another who appreciates the sentiments expressed by R243. One of the biggest things that convinces me of Barack's basic goodness and decency is the way his children interact with him. It's fresh and honest and loving and trusting. You can't fake that, because children can't - and don't - fake that.

by Anonymousreply 26011/11/2012

Meanwhile, Mitt's family has to pretend like it's endearing that he cuts to the front of every line.

by Anonymousreply 26111/11/2012

amen, r260 and r243, and this is why the right's absolute hatred for the man makes ZERO sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 26211/11/2012

Although I don't love the "retard" use, I do think r253 is right on. Thank God for women this election. The last thing we should do is condescend about their intelligence. See, how that worked out for the Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 26311/11/2012

Hatred, fear--all part of the package. These are folks who aren't very secure either via parenting or unfortunate life circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 26411/11/2012

Thanks GBM, bears repeating.

by Anonymousreply 26511/11/2012

Yeah, they were so shellshocked they grabbed only the office supplies from their own desk and ran out of Dodge days before the election.

by Anonymousreply 26611/11/2012

here's another Downfall thing that is pretty funny

by Anonymousreply 26711/11/2012

Women, especially single women, voted for Obama by a HUGE margin. If anything, you should point out that older white men who overwhelmingly voted for Romney, are the biggest assholes in the world.

by Anonymousreply 26811/11/2012

Well it appears that the Repugs have now decided that they don't need women, gays, or blacks. All they need are Hispanics.

Get ready to be courted Hispanics.

by Anonymousreply 26911/11/2012

As I mentioned on another thread, it will be reduced taco prices throughput the land, but nothing to address the fact that Hispanics are also driven by economic equity as well as other social issues that Republicans disregard.

by Anonymousreply 27011/11/2012

Absolutely right, R270. They're opening a path to citizenship, suddenly, and doing a lot of complimenting. That's about it.

by Anonymousreply 27111/11/2012

Whatever do you mean, r269?

by Anonymousreply 27211/11/2012

Excellent point, R260

by Anonymousreply 27311/11/2012

R269 reminded me of an odd exchange during this morning's "Face The Nation" roundtable.

John Dickerson was discussing the surprisingly high turnouts in Ohio that wrecked Mitt's chances (hordes of young people, African American's turned out to be 14% of 2012 Ohio voters compared to 11% in 2008, a huge (more than 25%) increase. He began to explain that Republican efforts at voter suppression in Ohio, Pennsylvania and elsewhere had backfired, but the host cut him off abruptly and went to Dee Dee with a Hispanic voters question.

She responded, but then ended by returning forcefully to the Republican voter suppression point John had not been allowed to complete. Bob then turned to Peggy Noonan, and, rather than seeking a response to the now twice raised charge, went back to a generalized question about courting Hispanics.

It was obvious he didn't want to go there.

Or is it simply safer to ask Republicans about outreach through their committed Hispanics (Rubio) than through their Blacks (Alan West)?

by Anonymousreply 27411/11/2012

The problem with courting Hispanics is that they will lose a significant portion of their base. Republicans can't win for losing. If they court Hispanics/minorities/women I see a third party coming.

by Anonymousreply 27511/11/2012

Ann Romney was supposed to humanize Mitt. Wny couldn't she do it; she's knows him better than anyone. Because she usually came across as unlikeable as him. And so did "their boys."

Douchebags Romney Royale.

by Anonymousreply 27611/11/2012

Hispanics won't go for it R269.

by Anonymousreply 27711/11/2012

R260 there are thousands of photos of kids (tiny babies on up that are enamored of the Presidents. Kids love him. I think (even with all of those babies) I've seen 2 pictures of a crying baby with Obama. It's amazing. There are a few instances where Obama PICKED UP A CRYING baby and soothed it, instantly. Mitt Romney's own grandkid crawled out of his own grandfather's hands to get to Obama at the debate. He's amazing with kids.

by Anonymousreply 27811/11/2012

Good photo

by Anonymousreply 27911/11/2012

Which one of his homes is Mitt and the brood holing up in now?

by Anonymousreply 28011/11/2012

I wrote this in the Maggie Gallagher (she's talking about courting them, too) thread and it's relevant here, too:

[quote]Yet, the Republican party, while running and now after the loss, still condescends to Latino voters. I remember Ann's meeting with some Latino women voters. Presumably, since they were there to see her they were already Romney voters or leaning. But Ann saw fit to tell them that Hispanics need "put their biases aside." Huh? That sounded like an outright insult. Now after their election, their talking heads are spinning minorities as people who voted for Obama because they want handouts. Let's bookend things with insult #???.

[quote]Seriously, which way to they want it? There are only so many Cubans to go around. Do they want Latinos or not? 'Cause if they do, they're shooting themselves right through their entitled feet.

[quote]And, Latinos are starting to favor gay marriage. I saw a poll in the spring that put approval figures over 50%. The Democrats can work with that, the Republicans refuse.

by Anonymousreply 28111/11/2012

Two things, R281. One, Obama won more Cubans than Mitt. And two, why are you helping them?

by Anonymousreply 28211/11/2012

[quote]And two, why are you helping them?

What does this mean? Who am I helping in my post and how?

by Anonymousreply 28311/11/2012

Oh, sorry. I thought you were saying you were posting on a Republican board about their stupidity on trying to woo the Latino vote.

by Anonymousreply 28411/11/2012

Thanks for posting that, r279.

That kid looks utterly thrilled to be shaking O's hand.

by Anonymousreply 28511/11/2012

Children ~know~, R278.

by Anonymousreply 28611/11/2012

I think that poster is going with the "enough rope" argument...

If they want to alienate Latino voters, LET THEM!!! Heck, go on Repub forums and say that Mitt lost because he was soft on immigration, he was a RINO, he didn't stick true to Christian American values... Give them MORE than enough rope!!!

by Anonymousreply 28711/11/2012

I was, R287. But that guy was talking about a thread HERE. Not on Maggie's site. I got confused.

by Anonymousreply 28811/11/2012

have any aides come forward yet, with tales of the last days in the bunker?

by Anonymousreply 28911/12/2012

Why Romney never saw it coming

by Anonymousreply 29011/12/2012

At least one of his advisors should have been following Nate Silver. If not this just shows how incompetent they were. He's been running for president for the past six years and just needs to disappear.

by Anonymousreply 29111/12/2012

Romney should have put 2012 Poll Troll on his payroll...

by Anonymousreply 29211/12/2012

Romney lost because he forgot one very important thing - this was an election, not a coronation.

by Anonymousreply 29311/12/2012

Article in the Washington Post this morning - the people in the Red States just don't get it. I feel SO sorry for the woman in this story - NOT

by Anonymousreply 29411/12/2012

Why R292?

by Anonymousreply 29511/12/2012

Why do you have to ask why R295?

It's obvious--for a reality check.

by Anonymousreply 29611/12/2012

Weird that the Kkkristian frau in r294's article talked to her prayer group about “relying on family, and on your core values, and not on the government.”

You mean don't rely on the government to cram your religious beliefs into other people's lives? What a novel idea!!

by Anonymousreply 29711/12/2012

Ah. True dat.

by Anonymousreply 29811/12/2012

From the article linked at R294:

[quote]Her calendar read “Victory Day!!” and she had planned to celebrate in the office by hosting a dance party and selling Romney souvenirs. But instead she was packing those souvenirs into boxes, which would be donated to a charity that sent clothes to South America.

Looks like quake survivors in Guatemala are getting some Romney t-shirts.

by Anonymousreply 29911/12/2012

From the CBS article at R290:

'We did everything we set out to do," says a top strategist about the Ohio effort. "We just didn't expect the African-American vote to be so high." African-American participation in Ohio jumped from 11 percent of the electorate to 15 percent between the 2008 and 2012 elections. "We could never see that coming. We thought they'd gotten a lot last time." '

This just shows how stupid and arrogant they were. They've done nothing but insult African-Americans for the past four years through their treatment of Obama, then in the last year and a half they've been gung ho on the whole voter suppression thing and then they're shocked when blacks show up. We showed up because they were pissed and rightfully so. Fuck those racist mother fuckers.

Oh and this is how I imagined things went down when Romney found out he lost.

by Anonymousreply 30011/12/2012

Oh and from the comments at R290's link:

"They" spent the past 6 years making fun of Obama because he was once a "community Organizer".

Now they know what a community organizer can do! LOL! : )

by Anonymousreply 30111/12/2012

Problem: "If you're basing your entire campaign on white people, it leaves you little margin of error."

I remember last summer Rachel doing a story about a little problem poll takers were having. She said something to the effect of that were frustrated that they were unable to get an even sampling of Democrats and Republicans. What was happening was that there were simply more Democrats.

Another problem that set Romney up for being shellshocked was that his internal polls take on "likely voters" was quite unique from all the mainstream polls.

by Anonymousreply 30211/12/2012

[quote]Romney should have put 2012 Poll Troll on his payroll...

Why? Nobody would have listened to PT anyway. Any evidence contrary to the reality they had set up was ignored.

ITA with r300 regarding African-Americans - they were pissed as fuck about the way Rmoney's campaign insulted and marginalized their concerns during the campaign. So they turned out in force.

The GOP has a very serious ideology and image problem on their hands - they need to face the facts or be pushed off the face of the planet.

by Anonymousreply 30311/12/2012

[quote]Looks like quake survivors in Guatemala are getting some Romney t-shirts.

Good Lord, haven't they suffered enough?

by Anonymousreply 30411/12/2012

From r294's article:

[quote]It was a path that had worked for her, providing strength and stability during her parents’ rocky divorce, and then helping her transform from a stubbornly independent woman — the “feminist, I-am-woman, hear-me-roar type,” she said — into a mother and a wife who respected what she called the “natural order of the household.” She had two beautiful daughters who earned A’s and a husband who took time off from his job as a pastor for annual family “playcations” to museums and amusement parks. Local Republicans were encouraging her to run for state office, but she didn’t want to give up her volunteering, her scrapbooking, her weekend getaways with her daughters — her “Godly life,” she said.

Vomitous. Lady, people like you make me scratch my head and think what the heck happened and what is our country becoming?

by Anonymousreply 30511/12/2012

There are TONS of these people, r305. They have nothing but their church and their insular lives.

If you want to live like a nun, that's fine. Just don't expect everyone else to do so.

by Anonymousreply 30611/12/2012

The article at R294 deserves its own thread.

Those people scare the crap out of me. They will not be satisfied until we live under a theocracy where their views are mirrored in every facet of public life.

by Anonymousreply 30711/12/2012

They are the opposite of patriotic americans.

by Anonymousreply 30811/12/2012

Well, of course they have to make it so their views are mirrored in public life, r307. Their views are in no other way mirrored in reality.

by Anonymousreply 30911/12/2012

Romney is a fantasy believer - he believed if he wrote a concession speech beforehand it would somehow cause him to lose. Not writing one is an outcome of his religious mindset that you just need to believe something and it's true.

Of course he was shell shocked. He thought God was giving him the presidency. I'm sure he's rationalized it by now, but initially he was probably thinking "Why did God do this to me?"

by Anonymousreply 31011/12/2012

The polls that were the most accurate were those making calls to cell phones as well as land lines. What this mainly means is that the youth vote was also much higher than Romney and his minions had anticipated.

by Anonymousreply 31111/12/2012

The Obama campaign put great effort into measuring the potential Democratic vote and analyzing how to reach it and ensure people voted.

The Romney campaign put great effort into a propaganda effort to convince people that everyone else is voting for Romney, so you should too.

Faith vs rational analysis. Religion vs scientific method.

by Anonymousreply 31211/12/2012

I'm telling you, he and all of his Mormon campaign workers believed in the White Horse Prophecy. I can't wait 'til that comes out.

by Anonymousreply 31311/12/2012

I've read that Romney publicly dismissed the White Horse prophecy, but knicknamed himself OMS in college. It stands for One Mighty & Strong, and is straight out of the prophecy.

I think Mitt & Ann, at the very least, believed that he was destined by prophecy to be president. That's why they were so dumbfounded by his loss. They simply could not reconcile reality with their religious beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 31411/12/2012

Romney was shellshocked because he was surprised to discover that there aren't enough racists to carry more than 50% of the vote. He built his campaign on that belief.

by Anonymousreply 31511/12/2012

Interesting R314. I think that's why the campaign was so lazy. They thought God would do it all for them.

by Anonymousreply 31611/12/2012

I can't remember where I read the story but it was during the campaign. It was about Mittens and some other young Mormon boy who were both possibilities for fulfilling the White Horse prophecy.

It supposedly started when both boys were very young. Both were from prominent, wealthy Mormon families and it was openly acknowledged at school and in church that they were "special" and destined for Mormon greatness.

Whatever fucked up ideas Mitt Romney developed over the course of his 65 years, being raised as some sort of prophecy fulfillment messiah had to have made a big contribution.

No wonder he was totally shocked when he lost.

by Anonymousreply 31711/12/2012

[quote]They simply could not reconcile reality with their religious beliefs.

GOOD. More people need to get a slap in the jibs like this. WAKE THE FUCK UP, you idiots!

by Anonymousreply 31811/12/2012

Can't wait till he announces for 2016.

by Anonymousreply 31911/12/2012

R317, perhaps you have confused that with the plot of Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 32011/12/2012

[quote]Can't wait till he announces for 2016.

He's not running again.

by Anonymousreply 32111/12/2012

[quote]This is exactly how Rome fell. It was as wealthy at one time as we are now. The public kept writing itself blank checks until there was nothing left to write.

I thought Rome fell because of buttfucking. At least that's what conservatives were telling us until six days ago.

It's so hard to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 32211/12/2012

Anyone want to guess what Mitt is doing these days? Smoking crack? Mainlining coffee? Weeping hysterically into his Wheaties? Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 32311/12/2012

Rome fell because of internal pollution from Christians and its inability to wring further blood from the turnips it had conquered.

by Anonymousreply 32411/12/2012

I love how the homophobes claim Rome fell because of homosexuality. They're confusing it with Greece. Homosexuality was much less ingrained in the culture of Rome when it fell, though it was a fully "Christian nation" by that time...a fact the Christofascist 'phobes conveniently overlook.

by Anonymousreply 32511/12/2012

I don't think he was that shocked. He was campaigning on election day. Nobody does that! It's a sure sign of desperation.

by Anonymousreply 32611/12/2012

Oh, please. I had a fuckbuddy from DC who is not a politician himself but moves within the power Democrats tell me in July that Romney's campaign was going to unravel come Fall and that he was utterly unelectable. I find it hard to believe that Romney's people didn't know something I was told casually in between two blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 32711/12/2012

r326 - about Romney campaigning on Election Day. He did that, according to a tweet from someone on his campaign, because he wanted to tie up traffic in the Cleveland area so that democrats would get frustrated in traffic and decline to go to the polls.

I have no link for this - I read it a week ago on Kos.

by Anonymousreply 32811/12/2012

Rome's fall began when it began to REJECT homosexuality. It thrived when it accepted it.

by Anonymousreply 32911/12/2012

FBI Agent In Petraeus Case Removed After Allegedly Sending Shirtless Photos To The 'Other Woman' Jill Kelley

The federal agent who launched the investigation that eventually led to the resignation of CIA director David Petraeus was taken off the case during the summer over concerns that he "might have grown obsessed with the matter," The Wall Street Journal reports.

The FBI agent began the inquiry on behalf of Jill Kelley—a friend of his who reportedly received about a half a dozen hostile emails from Petraeus' mistress Paula Broadwell.

The agent referred the matter to a cyber crimes unit but was prohibited from the any role in the investigation after the FBI found out that he sent shirtless photos of himself to Kelley, people familiar with the probe told The WSJ.

After being barred from the case, the agent contacted representative David Reichert (R-Wash.) out of concern that senior FBI officials were going to "sweep the matter under the rug," according to two officials familiar with the matter.

The WSJ also provides details about the emails sent from Broadwell to Kelley:

Ms. Broadwell allegedly used a variety of email addresses to send the harassing messages to Ms. Kelley, officials said.

One asked if Ms. Kelley's husband was aware of her actions, according to officials. In another, the anonymous writer claimed to have watched Ms. Kelley touching "him' provocatively underneath a table, the officials said.

The new developments raise questions about how the FBI handled the case, The WSJ notes.

by Anonymousreply 33011/12/2012

Sorry, wrong thread. Disregard r330!

by Anonymousreply 33111/12/2012

[quote]I find it hard to believe that Romney's people didn't know something I was told casually in between two blowjobs.

He was a Democrat. A Republican would have told you during the blowjobs, which would hurt you far more than it hurt him. But, that's a gay Republican for you.

by Anonymousreply 33211/12/2012

So glad this horrible piece of shit is gone.

Queen Ann looked like she was beat over the head with a frozen fish!

by Anonymousreply 33311/12/2012

[quote]They" spent the past 6 years making fun of Obama because he was once a "community Organizer".

Now they know what a community organizer can do! LOL! : )

R301. Your post needed to be repeated.

[quote]Oh, please. I had a fuckbuddy from DC who is not a politician himself but moves within the power Democrats tell me in July that Romney's campaign was going to unravel come Fall and that he was utterly unelectable. I find it hard to believe that Romney's people didn't know something I was told casually in between two blowjobs.

R327. Your post has to be the funniest one of this entire thread.

by Anonymousreply 33411/12/2012

[quote]Rome's fall began when it began to REJECT homosexuality. It thrived when it accepted it.

The same is true of Romney.

by Anonymousreply 33511/12/2012

R274, I picked up on those Face the Nation moments as well. Every wants to talk about the Republican Hispanic problem it's so "now". African Americans voter suppression is so last week.

by Anonymousreply 33611/12/2012

Again, a party of drama queens. They can't be just "surprised," they have to be "shellshocked." They are total idiots if they didn't even think there was a small chance they would lose. If they were indeed shellshocked it just shows how they were not up to the job.

Maybe we should knock Romney to the ground, hold him down while we cut off his hair and mock him, "Shellshocked faggot!" He might - just might - remember that.

by Anonymousreply 33711/12/2012

A previous post stated that Romney wasn't suprised because he was still campaigning on election--and no one does that! I agree.

Romney knew he was going to lose because no one ever flies back and forth among two or three states on election day. Those last couple of rallies in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Iowa(?) were an act of desperation.

Granted, he still might have been shellshocked when avoidance, denial and reality all came to be and he was watching television and the stark reality of the votes were tallying, but the top advisors of the Romney campaign must have had some sort of an inkling they would lose.

However, the Repugs who were shellshocked were the general public voting Repugs who the Romney campaign had snowed, lied to and had utterly convinced them that Romney would win.

I'm delighted they lost and were humiliated. They are a bunch of incompetent, unlikeable, fraudulant and evil, evil, evil fools.

by Anonymousreply 33811/12/2012

He was "gobsmacked."

by Anonymousreply 33911/12/2012

Any truth to the rumor that voter fraud may have helped him win some of the primaries?

I hope he writes a scathing book about how the republican party forced him to abandon all of his principles and then deserted him the moment the election was called.

by Anonymousreply 34011/13/2012

R340, it's not much but the Maine GOP chairman, Charlie Webster thwarted the Maine caucus in Romney's favor. The state's easternmost county, a rural Ron Paul stronghold, was forced to postpone its caucuses due to the prediction of a "blizzard" that was harmless little snowfall. Romney was declared the state's winner even though it was a razor-thin margin that would have been irreversibly erased had the backwoods Libertarians of Washington County been allowed to caucus.

The Party ultimately voted to split its delegates evenly at 20 apiece between Romney and Paul. But the Paul voters were double-crossed by Webster who aided the national party by splitting the Paul delegates in half, letting only ten go to the convention. Romney, who would have lost the state had an honest caucus been conducted, ended up with thirty delegates or 75% of the state's total.

Satisfyingly, the Tea Party of 2010 ended in Maine on election day. Both houses of the state government turned Democratic. Both national Democratic congresspersons were re-elected and the Senate seat long held by Republican Olympia Snowe went to Independent but Democratic-friendly Angus King.

The corrupt and incompetent Chairman Webster has resigned.

by Anonymousreply 34111/13/2012

In 59 Philadelphia voting divisions, Mitt Romney got zero votes

It's one thing for a Democratic presidential candidate to dominate a Democratic city like Philadelphia, but check out this head-spinning figure: In 59 voting divisions in the city, Mitt Romney received not one vote. Zero. Zilch.

These are the kind of numbers that send Republicans into paroxysms of voter-fraud angst, but such results may not be so startling after all.

"We have always had these dense urban corridors that are extremely Democratic," said Jonathan Rodden, a political science professor at Stanford University. "It's kind of an urban fact, and you are looking at the extreme end of it in Philadelphia."

Most big cities are politically homogeneous, with 75 percent to 80 percent of voters identifying as Democrats.

Cities are not only bursting with Democrats: They are easier to organize than rural areas where people live far apart from one another, said Sasha Issenberg, author of The Victory Lab: The Secret Science of Winning Campaigns.

"One reason Democrats can maximize votes in Philadelphia is that it's very easy to knock on every door," Issenberg said.

Still, was there not one contrarian voter in those 59 divisions, where unofficial vote tallies have President Obama outscoring Romney by a combined 19,605 to 0?

The unanimous support for Obama in these Philadelphia neighborhoods - clustered in almost exclusively black sections of West and North Philadelphia - fertilizes fears of fraud, despite little hard evidence.

Upon hearing the numbers, Steve Miskin, a spokesman for Republicans in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, brought up his party's voter-identification initiative - which was held off for this election - and said, "We believe we need to continue ensuring the integrity of the ballot." ...

by Anonymousreply 34211/13/2012

R328, I think I found ths story you refer to about Romney and Ryan disrupting traffic on Election Day

by Anonymousreply 34311/13/2012

Outside the South, Romney’s performance among white voters was anything but historic. He ran behind Bush’s tallies in most of the northern half of the United States. While some believed that Obama’s weakness among white voters would translate into opportunities for Romney in overwhelmingly white states like Iowa, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin, Obama ultimately won these three states by 5.6 to 6.9 points, even though Bush never lost any by more than 1.3 points.

More broadly, you can quickly consider changes in Democratic support among white voters between '04 and '12 in the nine states where whites represent at least 85 percent of the population.

These states aren't exactly representative of white voters elsewhere, but the big picture is about right: outside of the South, Romney ran behind Bush among white voters, but he made up for it in Appalachia and the rest of the South.

by Anonymousreply 34411/13/2012

R341, I watched A Maddow report on the Republican fraud in Maine. It was bizzare the lengths they went to to distort the vote, and yet they never got called on it.

by Anonymousreply 34511/13/2012

We can all go on about Romney's performance, did he know he would lose; was he shellshocked, etc., etc.?

But the basic premise remains...most people don't like Romney, and that's a fact that he and the other despicable Repugs don't want to accept or admit.

Romney lost because he's not likeable on so many levels, be it his policies or his fucking arrogance about the "47 percent." People don't like asshole douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 34611/13/2012

During the Republican primaries, R345, or during the General election?

by Anonymousreply 34711/13/2012

I miss hearing about Ann

by Anonymousreply 34811/13/2012

R347, she was talking about the primaries, and how the republicans were playing all sorts of tricks trying to keep Santorum and Ron Paul from winning. Did a quick search on YouTube, this is it.

by Anonymousreply 34911/13/2012

"How did the next 1,000 years or so go after Rome fell?"

Not so bad until that whole "Roman Catholic" shit started...

by Anonymousreply 35011/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!