Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do I lie on my resume?

I've been out of work for a year now and I'm worried about such a long gap in employment showing on my resume and turning off potential employers. Is there a way to lie about employment and not get caught? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 1711/12/2012

Same here, but I've been out 3 tears due to an injury and rehab :(

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

OP, it has to be a coordinated lie. If you have friends that work at non-profits, they can say youe have been volunteering or consulting. Get a letter of reference and make sure the secretary/switchboard knows who you are.

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

Can you claim to have been caring for a relative. You were living with you grandmother while she underwent cancer treatment or something?

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2012

OP

I have a friend who has been unemployed since July of this year. He looks for work all the fucking time 6 days out of the week. He confided in me that he feels that the longer he is without work the harder it will be for him to obtain work. The small business he worked for went belly up and he earned a double major at University (Psychology and Spanish).

So. He is my "Spanish Tutor" and has been my private "Spanish Tutor" at the "rate" of $25.00 an hour for twenty "hours" a week since September of this "year."

Catch my drift OP? If I did not know with all my heart that my friend is dying to work anywhere I would not fib for him. That is the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 411/08/2012

I'm not advocating that you do this, but I think the only good way to lie is if you have a friend in a substantial position at some company or workplace who can serve as a reference/contact and will confirm that you "worked" there during a certain time. Of course, this is hardly fool proof.

Possibly research companies/businesses that have gone out of business or moved and you can claim you don't know of a contact/reference who is available.

Say you worked for yourself - plenty of people do. But, I'd have your story down pat.

Again, I'm not advocating that you go about lying.

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2012

English tutor abroad.

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012

Rs3, 4, and 5, have good ideas. I myself - even in a better economy (2006-2007) covered a 2-year gap (out of work by choice: had come into a small (under 6 figures) inheritance and deliberately decided not to work. STUPID, of course); ANYway: I pretend to be a project director for a friend of mine who has his own business (and his own admin assistant, so she was cool with this). Many years ago, I had pretended to be a restaurant manager for this same friend (he got a job as a waiter where he was applying); a few years before that, I pretended to be a small biz owner whose biz had "gone under", and I pretened a different frie3nd was my admin asst/receiptionist. SHE got the job she wanted.

"that's what friends are for..." Best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 711/08/2012

Yeah I worked about 3 weeks for a temp agency one year and indicated that I worked for the temp agency in that year.

something like

2009 Some temp agency Listed duties

Then on to the next job. in 2010.

2004 - 2011 Your old job 2012 Some temp agency

by Anonymousreply 811/08/2012

I had my trust fund friend who had an interior design website say I was her director of project management for a year. worked like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2012

I have a friend who gives names of companies that are defunct, so there's no way to check references.

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2012

What's the protocol for listing references? All my professional references are from a company where I haven't worked in over 4 years. I know my references are still employed there, but it's been 2 or 3 years since I've been in contact with them.

by Anonymousreply 1111/08/2012

It's even worse when you found a shit job out of desperation in the middle of the recession. So bad you quit it without having another one waiting (though I am working a menial job now). It lasted 8 months and I wonder if I should leave it off my resume and jsut make something up.

Sometimes I'll say I quit it because of transportation problems (it was quite a distance away) but I'll get that sneer from the interviewer like, "Uh-huh, we got your number: job-hopper".

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2012

I'm not keen on the lying angle. Too many companies employ professional reference checkers these days... it's a risk. Their job is to demonstrate value by catching lies. If the company that is thinking of hiring you employs such a service, it's a risk.

There's no shame in saying you were looking for work. Keep a list of the (I assume) few potential jobs you may have been considered for in this period of time. I bet it's a small list, given the state of the economy. It won't reflect badly on you that you've been trying in terrible circumstances.

Or you can fib a bit and say you either got a big enough package that you took the time to assess your options and now you are ready to return to work or you came into a small inheritance that tided you over while the economy sucked. Ask your references to mention that too... i.e. in a good economy Joe would have been back in the work force much more quickly, but this isn't a good economy.

Whatever you do, emphasize the economy. It isn't news to anybody it's rotten and unemployment is high. And bear in mind that if you're the right guy for the job, the employer is going to be less interested in why you're looking for work and more interested in getting you to work for them. They're looking to solve problems... they'll be more interested in that than your backstory if you're a good candidate, with good skills, who they think they can take on and put to work with no problems.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2012

You make good points, R13, but many companies now won't even consider someone who's currently unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2012

A friend of mine is beyond unemployed in that he no longer qualifies for unemployment or anything. He has a nice partner (they've lived together for ages now) and so he is alright.

He decided to volunteer at our city's hospital once to twice a week after he became unemployed. His reference with that is really good. At this point in time he is thinking of substitute teaching in no small part because of his schooling and nice reference from the hospital.

This all sounds easier said than done. But one to five hours a week volunteering can help fill what will sadly become a big ass gap in employment.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012

Former HR Professional:

Some tips:

1. Never ever lie about the level of education achieved. It's the easiest thing to catch, and I've seen candidates who've already received plum job offers have the offers retracted once the lie was uncovered. And almost in each case, the level of education would not have mattered, as the candidate had the requisite experience.

2. Volunteer work always goes over well.

3. It's not true that employers look at unemployed job seekers as less attractive candidates than candidates who are currently employed. Employers are looking for the best candidates possible, period, with expectations based on those who've done the position before. What I do think happens is that the employed candidates have less to lose, and are therefore less stressed out in general when they interview, and thus often perform better. It's always best to already have a job when looking for another for that reason alone.

4. If you take time off to care for an elderly parent or sick child, be honest about that. Many interviewers will be or have been in similar situations.

5. If you get a great package after working somewhere for many years, and you use that time off just to recharge your batteries, just have some great stories to fill in those gaps when asked, along the lines of "I went to visit my relatives in Istanbul who I'd not seen since I was nine."

6. If you list another company where you've actually not worked, please be aware that it's standard procedure to call the HR department of that company and get the official dates of employment, not the department you allegedly worked in. And candidates are typically asked to give written consent to both companies to share this information. If it's a smaller company without an HR rep, then you just need to cover your bases with whoever is likely to answer the phone and give out information. (This is where the "coordinated lie" plan can work best.) As a result, and this is where it's advantageous to work in a large urban center with lots of small companies, in terms of your resume, it's easier to get away with a fake job at a small firm than a large one.

7. For references, contact anyone you might list, no matter how long the time frame. You don't want someone cold calling an old colleague who might have just left the company, or may have forgotten you.

Finally, as best as possible, don't let desperation rule your days. It's unattractive, and it really colors everything you do. Exercise for your body and mind and spirit, and when you get that interview, take the time to look and feel your best. Remember that most of the time the employers want you to be the candidate that is perfect for the job. They're not out to get you.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2012

" It's not true that employers look at unemployed job seekers as less attractive candidates than candidates who are currently employed. "

Great post overall, but I can't disagree with you enough on the above statement. *Many* companies these days tell their HR departments to toss any resume from someone who has been unemployed for more than 6 months. I've heard the stories from the HR people themselves.

Also, some companies state outright in their job listings that they won't consider any candidate that isn't currently gainfully employed.

Rachel Maddow did a whole segment on this a while ago. It was beyond infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 1711/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.