Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Blythe Danner joins 'Nice Work If You Can Get It'

NEW YORK (AP) — Blythe Danner is jumping into the Broadway show "Nice Work If You Can Get It," playing the mother of Matthew Broderick's wealthy playboy character.

Danner, 69, assumes the role currently being played by Academy Award-winner Estelle Parsons on Dec. 18. She'll play it for 12 weeks through March 10.

Danner, who won a Tony Award in 1970 for her Broadway debut in "Butterflies Are Free," has appeared in films including "Meet the Parents" and "Lovin' Molly." She is the mother of Gwyneth Paltrow.

The show, which also stars Kelli O'Hara, has a book by Joe DiPietro and uses classic Gershwin songs, including "Sweet and Lowdown," 'Let's Call the Whole Thing Off," 'S'Wonderful," and "Fascinating Rhythm." The director and choreographer is Kathleen Marshall, who also made the hit "Anything Goes."

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2012

Alexis Smith would've have been better.

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

r1 = mlop

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

My favorite movie she's in is Guilty Conscience, a mid-80s tv movie with Anthony Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2012

What a horrible picture of a woman not too attractive to begin with. She looks like Sally Jessie what's her name with a new pair of glasses.

by Anonymousreply 411/08/2012

Blythe Danner lost the part of Caroline Ingalls on "Little House on the Prairie" to Karen Grassle

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2012

Blythe Danner was a forgettable Blance DuBois.

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012

...I used to love it when colleagues would tell me to break a leg...

by Anonymousreply 711/08/2012

Nice gig.. the mother only comes on near the end of Act Two. Blythe can sit in her dressing room at the Imperial and knit or read a book..or play solitare.

by Anonymousreply 811/08/2012

Blythe Danner couldn't cut it as a Pioneer Woman

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2012

Can I really be the first poster to ask if she will be bumping into chorus boys?

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2012

I bet she is a heavy investor in the show (albeit unlisted in the playbill). She does that, you know.

But she won't be doing the quality of the show any favors.

by Anonymousreply 1111/08/2012

Cutting about 15 minutes from the show would be the best favor.

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.