Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The view from Europe ...

Very perceptive article in today's London "Daily Telegraph":

But the paradox of the 2012 US election was that despite the numerical proximity of the vote Mr Obama's open-minded liberal coalition may now have taken a permanent stranglehold on the US political map.

And in their inclusive fervour they have left half the country locked outside the door.

Study a map of Tuesday's vote plotted geographically – with the two parties coloured red and blue – and it is clear that outside the cities and the coasts of this vast country, America still has a conservative heart.

That heart will feel angry and dispirited by this defeat. In victory, Mr Obama tried to sound magnanimous, but even as he waxed lyrical about a new vision for an inclusive polity, he rammed the defeat down the throats of the vanquished.

"It doesn't matter whether you're black or white, or Hispanic or Asian, or Native American, or young or old, or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight – you can make it here in America if you're willing to try," he said.

Deliberately or not, there was little space, it seemed, in that long list for ordinary, hard-working God-fearing Americans – many white, many living in rural areas – who still make up a vast swathe of the country but are being eclipsed by a new demographic reality.

It is a reality born by the facts: Hispanic voters comprised 10 per cent of the electorate. Mr Obama won seven out of 10 of their votes. The president also won 93 per cent of the black vote, and more than 70 per cent of Asian voters. He led by 12 points over Mr Romney among women.

Among young voters, he secured two thirds of the preferences of those aged between 18 and 29. They are almost a fifth of the electorate.

by Anonymousreply 3011/08/2012

Well, it IS the Telegraph.

If all those supposedly disenfranchised people weren't so intent on disenfranchising those who voted for Obama, maybe there'd be more room for them.

I certainly feel they should be free to live their lives. I just want to live mine too.

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

[quote] Deliberately or not, there was little space, it seemed, in that long list for ordinary, hard-working God-fearing Americans – many white, many living in rural areas

What part of the word "white" in Obama's speech did he miss? And if those "hard-working God-fearing Americans" aren't willing to change with the times (and they aren't), then they deserve to be left behind.

[quote] It is depressing to think that 82 per cent of all non-whites in America voted for one political party, regardless of their age, economic status and social views.

Nah, this guy hasn't got an agenda.

[quote] Mr Obama's coalition represents the future of America: a younger, browner, more godless and liberal America

And that's apparently a tragedy. Is the Telegraph some kind of conservative rag?

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

History shows that anyone who speaks of a permanent stranglehold on power is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2012

I keep hoping someone will ask one of the right-wing pundits who emphasize that soon there will be a non-white majority in America what exactly they expect from that? That the non-white majority just won't run things as well as the whites? Really? Or that the non-whites will treat the white people the way THEY were treated?

Shows me that the angry white male knows exactly how hard it is to be an oppressed minority and isn't looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 411/08/2012

"Demographics" seems to be the new word all of a sudden.

And, surprise surprise, it brings out the racists in different guises.

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2012

The concept of demographics is neither new nor racist.

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012

And did taht conservative heart care about the blues when their guy was in power? 'nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 711/08/2012

R2, absolutely it's a right rag.

by Anonymousreply 811/08/2012

OP, where's the perceptive part?

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2012

[quote] ordinary, hard-working God-fearing Americans

By which he means white? So the brown americans aren't ordinary or hard-working?

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2012

What an odd article. Obama did put whites into his mix. Rather, the author missed that rural or red America remains for lack of more polite word, prejudiced and xenophobic- the American dream is OK for them (and their apologists), but not for anyone not like them (Christian and white and male.)

What the author should have said is that the sum total of American minorities (and young white Americans might be part of this group) are rejecting the old Christian white male lock on political power and much of the conservative politics that go with it. This dwindling group is so prejudiced and chagrinned at their loss of ascendancy that they vote against their interests!

It's really no different than no longer being able to win elections as a segregationist. Ultimately it is about change and embracing it, most of which is for the good.

by Anonymousreply 1111/08/2012

P.S. and OP, this perceptive view from Europe is not THE view from Europe- to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2012

While The Telegraph may be cautious in its tone and in what it covers, I rarely find it a rabid, right-wing rag. Here, though, it's both wrong and unduly conservative.

[quote]"It doesn't matter whether you're black or white, or Hispanic or Asian, or Native American, or young or old, or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight – you can make it here in America if you're willing to try," he said.

[quote]Deliberately or not, there was little space, it seemed, in that long list for ordinary, hard-working God-fearing Americans – many white, many living in rural areas – who still make up a vast swathe of the country but are being eclipsed by a new demographic reality.

It's not enough that white people were mentioned by Obama before his first comma, we're supposed to be offended that the president didn't single out the Nice White People - you know, the "ordinary, hard-working God-fearing" white people?

Much has been written about the rural/urban gap, but this twat has nothing to add other than to express a brand of Tea Party hurt feelings amongst whites of the right sort.

Does he bother to consider that conservatism has completely changed its stripes, abandoning any old notions of fiscal conservatism -- something very different from the current hatred of taxes and a perceived have-not user class? Or questioned the wisdom of the new brand of Fuck You conservatism? Of course not; too easy to blame it on a frightening bunch of minorities bent on taking away the nice white people's things.

by Anonymousreply 1311/08/2012

Is the Telegraph a conservative rag or what? Sounds as bad as Fox.

by Anonymousreply 1411/08/2012

Was this a signed editorial?

by Anonymousreply 1511/08/2012

Op:

[quote]Very perceptive article in today's...

perceptive? No.

Bigoted? Yes.

by Anonymousreply 1611/08/2012

If you want a perceptive article from Europe, read this.

by Anonymousreply 1711/08/2012

Alright I get it wasn't a fantastic article,but it is a view from the outside. It is trying to explain to a readership why so many people are angry about the result. To an outsider like me,an Australian,everyone should be bloody ecstatic !!

There should be parades through the streets and fireworks and a public holiday declared for fuck off right wing nuts,

From the outside Obama is popular and strong and makes sense and is liberal.In short the face you love about America.

But how do you explain to this readership, to us ,why Wall Street went down,why so many people are angry,why the map of red and blue looks not unlike a civil war map from 1861.This is when we need help.

All the article does is explain,yes rather clumsily where the Republicans went wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1811/08/2012

Obviously R6 the concept of demographics itself is not racist, but it's being brought up now and put into service by angry white men pissed off that minorities are actually turning out to vote.

And now in the aftermath as the republicans try to see what they can salvage, the word is suddenly turning up everywhere. Even on FreeRepublic (though they skew to the crazier side of things).

by Anonymousreply 1911/08/2012

R18, bone up on your American history :) The South went Repbublican in 1964 with the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Southern Democrat conservatives historyically worked with Northern liberals post Civil War. With the passage of the CRA they went Republican and allied themselves of course with the conservative wing of the Repub party and let their evangelical side take them over as well. Essentially the South is still racist, more overtly than the North and altogether socially conservative.

by Anonymousreply 2011/08/2012

Lovely comments from Brits there:

"Does anyone find it remotely curious that the more "brown" a society becomes, the more ignorant, dependent, violent, and despotic the same society becomes?"

Charming. And, oh so British.

by Anonymousreply 2111/08/2012

Wow, so much casual racism in that article and the comments.

"That's exactly what happened to all African states that were given independence.

Once a black ruler took over, the electorate were left starving, without a job, housing or health care and just like Zimbabwe they went from a net exporter of food to being reliant on foreign aid."

Fond memories of apartheid in South Africa and British rule in Kenya. Even US tea partiers aren't this blatant.

by Anonymousreply 2211/08/2012

R11, you are so right.

The U.S. is now divided into the traditional holders of power, wealthy old white male conservatives, and the non-conservatives who are challenging their power.

What's odder to me is the subgroup of non-powerful white males and their subjugated women who will fight to the death to keep the wealthy old white men in power. This is the subgroup who volunteer for the military and go to war for the rich and powerful. These are the red staters. They're deeply conservative, but it has little or nothing to do with economics. They believe they need to protect the values of this country -- god, flag and the American way of life.

I live in a blue state that has pockets of red staters who are all retired military personnel. It's an interesting mix.

by Anonymousreply 2311/08/2012

I would rather bone up a an American if possible R20 any takers:)

I love American History, but I would still say your average European and Australian would know more about your country than most Americans would know about us.Bet you the average Australian would be able to name more US states,than Americans could name Australian cities,let alone states.

What we lack I would say is the general terms that are used,like GOP for Grand Old Party or what Karl Rove represents etc.

In essence we need things like this to be broken down.

Still love hot American men though:)

by Anonymousreply 2411/08/2012

"And in their inclusive fervour they have left half the country locked outside the door."

Excuse me, does this even really make sense?

BTW, The Telegraph is right wing.

by Anonymousreply 2511/08/2012

Obama included whites. The author of this piece laments that he doesn't include white TRASH.

by Anonymousreply 2611/08/2012

Maybe someone needs to remind the author of Daisy, Onslow and Rose and ask how he thinks the English government could make them happy.

by Anonymousreply 2711/08/2012

That is most definitely NOT the "view from Europe," where the vast majority of people would have voted for Obama, and are very happy he got a second term - including in the UK.

The Telegraph is a right wing rag, as pointed out up-thread, and that is even more extreme than their usual take.

[quote]Lovely comments from Brits there: "Does anyone find it remotely curious that the more "brown" a society becomes, the more ignorant, dependent, violent, and despotic the same society becomes?" Charming. And, oh so British.

Don't be so fucking stupid. That's like quoting a comment from Free Republic and implying that's how all Americans think.

by Anonymousreply 2811/08/2012

This is exactly the same thing I just saw on FB. A friend of a FB "friend" posted that he didn't even hear Obama mention white people in his speech.

Black and WHITE. These people are scary.

by Anonymousreply 2911/08/2012

WW r27!

by Anonymousreply 3011/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.