Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gift Cards or Cash?

In the past, I've given out gift cards to different places, restaurants, stores, etc. A friend of mine said, "Just give them cash. That's what they want anyway." And "Don't you think it's a little presumptuous of you to assume they like eating at Red Lobster. He's right. Isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012

Yes, plus some gift cards charge a fee or can expire. Cash doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2012

If you know with some certainty that someone likes to patronize a particular place --if, say, they make a joke about how much they spend on books each month at Amazon-- gift cards are fine; otherwise, use cash.

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

What R2 said.

I know someone who gave $100 Starbucks gift cards to everyone. Some people were elated, but a few of them don't drink coffee or even go to Starbucks. I know a couple if them just re-gifted the gift cards to people who go there.

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2012

This year I want cash because I am saving for a Miele vacuum cleaner. I am the OP of the "Pregnant Feral Cat" thread last year. I kept three of the cats and another cat then found us. Now I have 4 cats --- 3 of them are strictly indoors --- and I need a good vacuum cleaner.

I have already dropped the appropriate hints.

"I'm saving for a good pet vacuum but it's going to take me forever. I wish they cost less, but from what I've read, they are worth the money. I sure could use more cash (sigh). "

Yeah, it's uncouth. Whatever. I don't need a $50 iTunes card.

by Anonymousreply 411/08/2012

Give MasterCard or Visa gift cards. It'll be easier for you and recipients won't complain "I don't go to that store."

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2012

R4 could also use a gift cert to a conveniently located store that sells the brand of pet food they prefer.

You're a saint, R4. Sounds like you're all happy together, & you all deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!