Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If you could buy a holiday home anywhere in the world

where would it be? Bonus points for links to photos.

by looking for inspirationreply 4811/09/2012

No one?

by looking for inspirationreply 111/09/2012

Washington, DC.

(quiet sobbing)

by looking for inspirationreply 211/09/2012

San Diego area

by looking for inspirationreply 311/09/2012

Carmel By the Sea - I first learned about it here on Data Lounge.

by looking for inspirationreply 411/09/2012

A London flat with period details. Something like this one, though bonus points for a location on a nice square (like so: primelocation.com/for-sale/details/26666667).

by looking for inspirationreply 511/09/2012

Antibes.

However, I would never live there in the summer, when it's overrun by tourists.

by looking for inspirationreply 611/09/2012

Nelson, BC, or somewhere on Vancouver Island near Victoria

by looking for inspirationreply 711/09/2012

Santa Fe, New Mexico or Sullivan's Island, South Carolina.

by looking for inspirationreply 811/09/2012

Antibes is a good one, but I'd prefer Aix-en-Provence.

by looking for inspirationreply 911/09/2012

I've always loved South Beach, but I never thought I could afford it.

by looking for inspirationreply 1011/09/2012

I think Key West or San Diego would both be nice places to have a second and third home.

by looking for inspirationreply 1111/09/2012

Live in SF so first choice, Sonoma (Napa can be quite crowded in the summer months). I'd also like an apartment in NYC, preferably the West Village...

by looking for inspirationreply 1211/09/2012

Bali. Cheap to live once you've purchased real estate but I also have a close relative who lives there, like a king I might add.

I would not want to live near the beach with all the tourists though.

by looking for inspirationreply 1311/09/2012

The Greek Islands! Despite the crisis on the mainland, life is the same and they have the best beaches in Europe.

by looking for inspirationreply 1411/09/2012

Maui, oceanfront

by looking for inspirationreply 1511/09/2012

R13: that house in Bali was so tacky - yikes. Those shiny white tile floors were beyond hideous.

by looking for inspirationreply 1611/09/2012

R16 most of the houses there have tile floors and people cover them with rugs. The houses there are kind of open to the outside and you have to be able to sweep. They are also usually constructed out of concrete due to termites. According to my relative there, if they used wood they would be replacing their houses every two years.

That one is depersonalized and staged to sell.

by looking for inspirationreply 1711/09/2012

Anywhere in the whole world, and people are saying San Diego? Someone please explain this to a non-American.

by looking for inspirationreply 1811/09/2012

St. Ives, Cornwall, UK.

I stayed their back in the 80s and it was lovely (off-season, of course).

by looking for inspirationreply 1911/09/2012

If I could afford it...why wouldn't I just live there? I see multi-million dollar homes, just sitting around here, no one ever even visits. I think it's absurd...fuckers who have so much money that they can have vacation homes all over the world but they never even visit...I want those greedy fuckers, dead.

by looking for inspirationreply 2011/09/2012

I picked San Diego because of the climate. Perhaps the best year round climate in the US. I don't care about much else in my old age. Few hurricanes on the West coast, no tornadoes, no blizzards, no oppressive heat or cold.

by looking for inspirationreply 2111/09/2012

[quote][R16] most of the houses there have tile floors and people cover them with rugs.

Most houses by the water have either tiles or brushed concrete, but these tiles are really ugly.

by looking for inspirationreply 2211/09/2012

R18, my guess is that they haven't heard of June Gloom...

by looking for inspirationreply 2311/09/2012

How gay friendly is Bali? A friend and notable artist of mine was engaged to a guy from Bali. She drank the local alcohol given to her and died a few days later of methanol poising. Not uncommon there. I do love Indonesian food. Rijsttafel every day for me !

by looking for inspirationreply 2411/09/2012

R20 I live near several large marinas and you would not believe the amount of pleasure craft that sits unmoving and unused for YEARS. I can't tell you how many of these boats haven't moved since I've lived here. Huge wastes of money left sitting to rot in the water merely so some rich fuck can brag about his 44 ft. sailboat or yacht in a country club somewhere in McMansionville.

by looking for inspirationreply 2511/09/2012

Not sure if that house is by the water or in the mountains but I agree it's ugly tile.

by looking for inspirationreply 2611/09/2012

Bali is a very friendly place for the most part. It's majority Hindu.

R24 interesting about the local alcohol. Did she get it from a bar or restaurant because I drank something derived from palm that was good but it was in a nice restaurant too.

by looking for inspirationreply 2711/09/2012

London for me as well, R5. Want to be near the theatre district, Covent Garden and the British Museum.

Period exterior with a modern interior. Come visit!

by looking for inspirationreply 2811/09/2012

[quote]Anywhere in the whole world, and people are saying San Diego? Someone please explain this to a non-American.

Simple: Americans are parochial, and don't know much about any place that they haven't seen. San Diego has a nice climate, so for the first couple of weeks one forgets that it has very little in the way of culture. Close to Tijuana, though.

On reflection, many Americans don't know much about any place that they HAVE seen.

by looking for inspirationreply 2911/09/2012

You people picking San Diego and London must be loaded. Those places are way too expensive.

by looking for inspirationreply 3011/09/2012

Key West. I'd live there for half the year.

Seattle. I'd live there for the other half of the year.

(actually probably more like 2/3rds Key West, 1/3rd Seattle)

by looking for inspirationreply 3111/09/2012

We are talking about IFS not what we can afford. La Jolla would do nicely.

by looking for inspirationreply 3211/09/2012

The alcohol in Bali was the palm stuff. Her guy is Balanise and it was at a local celebration not an establishment. About 20 people died from that alcohol. This is something that is not uncommon there.

by looking for inspirationreply 3311/09/2012

Fuck San Diego! Tuscany for me. The countryside just outside Siena. A golden-stoned farmhouse overlooking vines and olives, with a terrace and a big oak table.

by looking for inspirationreply 3411/09/2012

Don't call Americans parochial. I have seen the world. My partner and I were almost packed up to retire elsewhere. We investigated Mexico, South Africa, Portugal, France, Chile, Panama, Costa Rica, Guatemala,Ecudor. We were on the verge of buying a house in Mexico, near Guymas. We had many friends in Mazatlan also and have friends living in Baja. For us the hassles of life elsewhere were just more than we wanted to deal with. USA baby !!

by looking for inspirationreply 3511/09/2012

How exactly does making alcohol work? Is there a process to keeping methanol out or what? Sorry to derail but this is interesting.

by looking for inspirationreply 3611/09/2012

ITA @ R35. We are used to a very high standard of service here in the US that is not apparent until you go somewhere else (looking at you, Paris) and expect to get anything near what we take for granted.

by looking for inspirationreply 3711/09/2012

Alcohol is distilled from fermented things. I suspect that cheap lethal methanol is just substituted for ethanol by unscrupulous venders for profit. It happens elsewhere in the world. Hard to imagine killing people for profit. Also depends on how much you drink and how much methanol there is in the drink. A lesser amount might just make you extremely sick, so many are sick but don't die.

by looking for inspirationreply 3811/09/2012

Ireland...probably Kerry.

by looking for inspirationreply 3911/09/2012

The dollhouse campground on martha's vineyard.

I wonder how fundie it might be though, even for MA, since it's still officially owned by a church.

by looking for inspirationreply 4011/09/2012

Robinwood Steet. Detroit

by looking for inspirationreply 4111/09/2012

Niagara on the Lake, Ontario

by looking for inspirationreply 4211/09/2012

Bar Harbor, Maine

by looking for inspirationreply 4311/09/2012

I'll take a house on Lake Michigan ... the Michigan side.

by looking for inspirationreply 4411/09/2012

I'd go back to Donegal. A cottage on the sea near a good surfing beach, would be ideal.

by looking for inspirationreply 4511/09/2012

Georgica Pond, East Hampton

by looking for inspirationreply 4611/09/2012

Hobart, Tasmania. Especially around Dodges Ferry. Second choice would be Port Douglas, Queensland. I love Australia. I live in S. CA and love it too.

by looking for inspirationreply 4711/09/2012

Ravello, Italia. I love this area. Always have. I think I could be very happy here.

by looking for inspirationreply 4811/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.