Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sinus infections :(

Anyone else suffering right now? Want to complain with me?

I feel like my right eye is going to pop out.

by Anonymousreply 2311/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2012

Worst thing for me are the achey teeth roots when they get pressed against by the inflammation.

by Anonymousreply 211/07/2012

It's gotten so bad and so frequent that I'm thinking of surgery. Any stories? Worth it?

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2012

r3 - I went in for a consultation and ended up not doing it. The procedure would have involved shaving my septum on one side and wearing a plastic shunt up my nose for a while, and there was no guarantee it would work to cut down on sinus infections.

Now whenever I have the first twinge of a sinus infection, I grab the neti pot or a little bulb syringe I got at Walgreens (it's designed to clean out kids' noses). Rising with saline several times in each nostril for a couple of days nips the infection in the bud.

by Anonymousreply 411/08/2012

Anyone have ballon sinoplasty? how is it?

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2012

R4, that is what I do

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012

Ah, the teeth aching is horrible R2.

R3 I had my deviated septum fixed which means I don't get congested but I still get pain & infections in the upper sinuses. But life's a lot easier with an unobstructed nose.

Sinus infections seem extra horrible & long lasting this fall.

by Anonymousreply 711/08/2012

Me too. I suffered all my life from sinus and ear infections. I quit consuming dairy (problems with casein that causes me to have sinus and ear problems) and I use a neti pot every day, twice a day during allergy season. I've never had another sinus or ear infection in the years I've followed this regimen.

Before VOTN comes into this thread and freaks out, I always use water that I have distilled in my Big Berkey, then I boil it for about 10 minutes (just to make sure) before I use it in my neti pot.

by Anonymousreply 811/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2012

Horrible! Especially when you start couching up the flem.

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2012

R10--Is that you, Mary Ann? Feel better soon!

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2012

R10 I think you mean "phlegm." Flem is a delicious custard dessert. Also, it's spelled "coughing." Couching is spending your Saturday afternoon shopping for a sofa.

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2012

You have to be very vigilant about sinusitus. It is related to autoimmune disorders.

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2012

" Flem is a delicious custard dessert."

If you're going to be a grammar troll, do it right or return your tiara

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2012

R4, Better (and cheaper) than a netti pot, is the following solution I developed. Take an empty squeeze bottle of liquid dish soap (Joy, Dove) and fill with warm salted water. Tip your head back and squeeze the liquid through your nose. Expect to feel awful initially. Still much easier to use and control.

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2012

R15, be careful. There's some information out there on the Internet saying it's less healthy to force water into your sinuses using a squeeze bottle or dental irrigation system (i.e. Water Pik) than the gentler flow of a neti pot. If you're going to use a squeeze bottle, use a minimal amount of force just to be on the safe side.

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2012

I've had a sinus headache for the past two days. Today I also felt pain behind my eyes (the best way I can describe it). Several times I had to just sit and close my eyes for a few minutes. This is a new one for me. Anyone else experienced this?

by Anonymousreply 1711/09/2012

I have told this before, but I had the most horrible sinus headaches from the time I was 12 until I was 42. I did have legitimate infections at first that they treated with antibiotics and packing my sinuses with silver nitrate soaked gauze. Later, the headaches were much worse, but there was no bacterial infection. But I would have a 3 day raging headache which was usually above my eye, and then it would open and drain down my throat leaving the soft palette and throat absolutely raw where the drainage ran. They would give me nasal sprays, decongestants, etc. At 42 I had an injury to my hand that caused a fungal cyst to grow in the depth of the wound and they treated me with an two month series of oral anti-fungal mrdication. The fungal infection went away, the very deep cut healed and the unexpected side effect was no more headaches. It turns out that what I had for 30 years was a yeast/fungal infection of the sinuses. The drainage left my throat so raw because it was very acidic.... the process was the fluids trapped in the sinuses would ferment and then turn acidic like vinegar... that trapped under pressure in a congested sinus passage for 3 days caused a lot of pain.

by Anonymousreply 1811/09/2012

Sorry R12. My speling is knot the best e.

by Anonymousreply 1911/09/2012

The new Arm & Hammer Simply Saline (the one with the hot physicial in the commercial) is genius and has saved my life this autumn. It's different from other saline squeeze bottles: it has a gentle but forceful aerosol mechanism that achieves near-neti pot results.

by Anonymousreply 2011/09/2012

Unlikely you need antibiotics but a doctor will give them to you, often to your own detriment. Two things that might help, vitamin C, like 500 twice a day. Ester C is the stuff you want. Then NETTY POT netty pot, no shit NETTY POT

by Anonymousreply 2111/09/2012

[quote]I feel like my right eye is going to pop out.

Welcome back Sandy Duncan. We haven't heard from you in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 2211/09/2012

My Latino Lover eats flan out of my hole

by Anonymousreply 2311/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!