Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Maine church that opposed gay marriage vandalized with ***SWASTIKAS!!!***

Sometime between Monday night and Tuesday morning, swastikas were painted on the front door of Stockton Springs Community Church and on both sides of two signs on the church lawn.

A spokesman for the church said "I was shocked and horrified when I arrived at the church this morning and saw swastikas painted all over our property. Clearly, those who want to redefine marriage also want to redefine tolerance,” the release said.

“Our congregation has taken a loving and respectful stand for traditional marriage in our community, but those who disagree want to silence and intimidate us. We can’t be apathetic, and can’t be bullied. I urge all Mainers to go to the polls today and Vote No on Question 1.”

Who would do such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 2411/08/2012

Spray-painted swastikas are the preferred method of attack used by Hate Crime hoaxers.

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2012

Tough shit churchies

by Anonymousreply 211/07/2012

They did it themselves.

by Anonymousreply 311/07/2012

R3 why would they do it themselves? Destroy their own property and have to pay to get things fixed up?

by Anonymousreply 411/07/2012

I don't know if this was an inside job (r3, it could be, as the costs would be money spent on "political action") or activist vandalism by those condemning their homophobia.

Either way, it's revolting. And if it's the latter, extremely counterproductive.

by Anonymousreply 511/07/2012

I agree with R3...they did it themselves to discredit us.

by Anonymousreply 611/07/2012

No doubt, r3.

Don't play dumb, r4. They did it for the same reason that some loony McCain campaign worker in 2008 carved a backward B into her own face and claimed angry Obama supporters did it.

by Anonymousreply 711/07/2012

Another vote for did it themselves.

Considering the likelihood of deciding whether a homophobic church or pro-equality gays would paint swastikas, I have to go with the church. They did it to draw attention to their stance on gay marriage and to paint themselves as victims.

by Anonymousreply 811/07/2012

Hate has consequences, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 1011/07/2012

I can't wait until they discover that the church did indeed vandalize itself.

after all, drawing swastikas comes easily to Nazi Christians.

by Anonymousreply 1111/07/2012

one of their own church members did this

by Anonymousreply 1211/07/2012

Please, look at the workmanship. No Gay would do such shoddy work:

by Anonymousreply 1311/08/2012

This may have been the work of a third party. It may have been done by opponents of Same Sex marriage with no affiliation to the church other than a shared political stance.

Yes on 1, in favor of Same Sex Marriage, was expected to pass and it did with 53.3% of the vote. The Yes side had nothing to gain by vandalizing a church. Either a lone crank on our side did this with no support from the rest of us, or equally likely, it was a staged Hate Crime hoax.

by Anonymousreply 1411/08/2012

I would bet someone that lives nearby or even goes yo that church did it. "Oh poor us, we are so repressed!"

by Anonymousreply 1511/08/2012

They definitely did it to themselves. It's too obvious. Why do they make the jump to say that one spray can vandalizing of their church was done by the Gay Movement? They were painting swastikas on us by doing this.

by Anonymousreply 1611/08/2012

Why do they assume it's "those who want to redefine marriage"? Those assholes must have lots of enemies. They did this to get outthe vote. They failed. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 1711/08/2012

[quote]Clearly, those who want to redefine marriage also want to redefine tolerance

The lack of self-awareness and hypocrisy it takes for him to utter such a sentence is staggering, when you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 1811/08/2012

If the pastor or a congregant did this themselves, it was a Freudian slip.

by Anonymousreply 1911/08/2012

The church goers did it themselves to make themselves look like victims. They're so convinced that this is what supporters of same sex marriage would've done, they took the initiative and did it for them.

by Anonymousreply 2011/08/2012

R4, seriously? Did you see the millions of dollars churches poured into anti-gay marriage campaigns? And besides - any good minister knows his flock will pitch in and fix the place up. Churches make their living fleecing people - willful damage is not beyond them.

by Anonymousreply 2111/08/2012

I see in the photos that the swastikas are backwards from the ones used by the Third Reich.

Is there some special meaning involved there?

by Anonymousreply 2211/08/2012

The swastikas came from *inside* the church!

by Anonymousreply 2311/08/2012

Sham and hoax to gain pity - some misguided person within the church did it himself to demonstrate how victimized their religion is.

That said, a swastika as a symbol of rightwing fascist politics and gas chambers (they sent the gays, albeit in substantially smaller numbers)would be the appropriate choice to brand their hate-mongering.

With so many illiterate people running around, it's a tough call whether the symbol was meant to brand the church or identify the author.

by Anonymousreply 2411/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!