Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Which Democrats Do We Want Running For President In 2016?

We know Cory Booker betrayed Obama with his early support of Bain - he'll never be President now. That leaves Hillary, Martin O'Malley, and Joaquin Castro, right? Who else am I missing?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 10511/17/2012

Or is it Julian Castro? Living near Ann gives one amnesia.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 111/07/2012

Joe Biden (although like Hills, probably too old)

Elizabeth Warren

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 211/07/2012

Mark Warner

Andrew Cuomo (and his concubine, Sandra Lee)

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 311/07/2012

It better be someone with balls of steel. The wingnuts are going to bring out their A team. (Bush, Christie, Rubio etc) They will push the crazies out of the running because they believe they have a serious shot in 2016. And they will fight even dirtier than ever. Mitt layed the groundwork for all kind of new tricks, like ignoring the press, questioning polls, so they will be like rabid dogs looking for human flesh.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 411/07/2012

Martin O'Malley/Deval Patrick. Done deal.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 511/07/2012

If history is any predictor, the Republicans will want to go even harder to the right, so expect a Bachmann/Paul (Ron or Rand, your choice) ticket in 2016. So it really doesn't matter who the Democrats nominate.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 611/07/2012

Hillary will be pushing 70 and Joe will be in his 70's. Both too old.

Julian Castro will need to run for governor or a national office before running for president. He is only a mayor right now. As is Cory Booker. Although I see Cory Booker running for governor against Christie next year.

Martin O'Malley is a good choice but a bit of a bore (Tim Pawlenty syndrome).

I see Andrew Cuomo as a good bet, but don't know enough about him to make that judgement yet.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 711/07/2012

Joe Biden has earned it and he certainly has the expeience and know-how, but in 2016, he will 73. I would prefer someone who is younger who could endure the job for eight years. Maybe Joe could, but I don't know.

Hillary was, is and always will be my girl, and she'll be 69 in 2016. I have always wanted her to be president. So I'm going with Hillary over Joe, and even she may be bordering on 'too old.' But I want her to be president so badly that Hillary is the one for me.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 811/07/2012

R9 is an astonishingly incoherent moron. Did he take his meds today?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 1011/07/2012

Of the "known quantity" list, I'd give it to Hillary over Joe Biden (as much as I love him). The past 4 years (and upcoming 4 years) have given her a bit more gravitas and experience - she's managed to keep her profile relatively low and build credibility and her reputation with the state department gig (paying her dues), moreso than when she was a senator. Bill's reputation, as evidenced by this election, has largely been rehabilitated, and he's now a great asset to her. The old scandals and right-wing talking points, about Watergate et al., are now a pretty distant memory for most voters. And she'll be another "first" that will drive voter interest and maintain the theme of Democratic diversity.

By the way, I say this as someone who favored Obama over her previous candidacy - don't think that was the right timing for her, but I think 2016 might work for her, despite her age. Also, I expect her to come around on issues like gay marriage, etc. by then, since it's now the official platform and clearly wasn't a liability for the President (how amazing is that?!)

Of the up and comers, I'd say maybe Andrew Cuomo? Will have to see how he fleshes out over the next few years, but he's a popular governor at the moment - don't know if he's "centrist" and broadly appealing enough, though.

I don't see anything happening for Cory Booker or Julian Castro - too young and inexperienced, and not as much evidence yet of the magnetism and media savvy of Obama. They might be good running mates, though, although their home states (New Jersey, Texas?) don't really add much to the electoral chances.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 1111/07/2012

Did I say Watergate? I meant Whitewater... again, going to the point of it being a distant memory for most people by this point...

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 1211/07/2012

Isn't Texas supposed to be a swing state in 2016, though, R11?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 1311/07/2012

I like the idea of Hillary too. Maybe with Gavin Newsome as a running mate?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 1411/07/2012

BIll Richardson, then the Latino vote is insured.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 1611/07/2012

I want Martin O'Malley in me quite deeply for the next four years.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 1711/07/2012

Bill Richardson is not only corrupt, he has some of the nastiest baggage of anyone in politics. His corruption is the reason NM has a Republican governor now.

His secretary of state when he was NM governor refused to be in the same room with him because he wouldn't stop groping her. That's just for starters.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 1811/07/2012

I think for the VP slot, the parties have to remember that the person is one step away from the presidency, and voters probably want some sort of "reassurance" they can handle the job. I thought Ryan was an awful Romney running mate for any number of reasons, but the most was his youth and inexperience, which was on full display in the debate against Biden.

What did you think seniors saw during the VP debate? Smug satisfaction from seeing a young know-it-all getting trounced by an older person who actually knew the ropes. Biden was good for Obama's candidacy because he brought a balance of experience and statesmanship to Obama's youth and energy.

Even though Hillary will have the experience and statesmanship this time around, she'll still need a running mate who can show that s/he can hold his or her own.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 2011/07/2012

Bill Richardson is being investigated for a number of illegal acts he committed while he was governor of NM. Rumors say there's a criminal indictment in his future. He did some wonderful things, like abolishing the death penalty, but he's an old style corrupt politician.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 2111/07/2012

Senator Gillibrand from NY is an excellent Senator

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 2211/08/2012

I like her too, R22. People in the rest of the country are suspicious of New Yorkers and prefer not to vote for anyone from there, but she might be able to overcome that. I don't think Cuomo would be able to.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 2311/08/2012

I keep hearing straight folks talking up Gov. Schweitzer of Montana.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 2411/08/2012

Schweitzer was amazing on Bill Mahers show a few weeks back. He shut down Issa's lies every time that fucker opened his mouth. He's lived in the Middle East and is a good ol' boy from Montana. He'd be perfect to VP for Clinton.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 2511/08/2012

Forget Cory. Can't risk everyone knowing he goes to the other side with men or woman.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 2611/08/2012

I love Hillary, but a Schweitzer-Tester ticket would be awesome.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 2711/08/2012

[quote]Forget Cory. Can't risk everyone knowing he goes to the other side with men or woman

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 2811/08/2012

It's important that whoever is nominated in 2016 be someone who can hold on to the youth vote and convince young people to turn out. We need decent turnout among young voters to counterbalance the old crazies who will always vote Republican.

Obama was mocked in 2008 for focusing on the youth vote. And a lot of people predicted that young people wouldn't turn out in 2012 to vote for Obama again. But they did. Turnout among 18-29 year olds was just as strong if not stronger this year than it was in 2008. And if you can reach people when they're young and convince them to become Democrats, they're likely to stay Democrats.

This is what worries me about nominating someone old like Hillary or Joe Biden in 2016. Can they appeal to young voters? Can they continue the momentum and the GOTV efforts that Obama has started?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 2911/08/2012

R25: Agree about the Hillary-Schweitzer combo -- plus he's got a Joe Biden vibe to him.

Cuomo is too ethnic for the flyover states.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 3011/08/2012

I think Hillary certainly can attract young voters. I also think that Obama would campaign hard for her if she gets the nom and if she wants him to--he surely owes the Clintons for Bill's important work in the campaign this year.

I hope that there's not a too divisive primary season. If the party can build on the gains made since 2008, there's hope to hold the White House for a long time.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 3111/08/2012

The Constitution makes it pretty much impossible to have a president and vice-president who are legal residents of the same state (Cheney got around that by "moving" to Wyoming, but neither Tester nor Schweitzer has that kind of option).

J o P

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 3211/08/2012

how about that"Rent is too damn high" guy?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 3311/08/2012

I'm wondering if Booker will go for Lautenberg's Senate seat...the Senator's getting pretty old and has had cancer. The Dems will want someone VERY strong in there, and that might be Booker's next move. I think Christie will be hard to take down, even though he's screwed lots of folks in NJ.

Gillibrand is definitely positioning herself for something national...but Cuomo's also a New Yorker, and as pointed out, you can't have two people from the same state on the ticket.

Frankly, I don't feel like Governors ARE the best choices for Prez (and that includes Bill), because they have a lot of catch-up to do on foreign relations. (And I guess that's why when there's a governor at the top of the ticket, the VP is almost always a Senator or Rep).

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 3411/08/2012

r28, "to the other side" means sex with white folk.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 3511/08/2012

I really don't think Hillary is too old (assuming she's in normal health, but that's the case for anyone). Let's not base her viability on antiquated notions regarding when people's lives are supposed to become sitting by a window and as to what older people are capable of.

The only issue with Hillary, clearly, is if she actually wants to run.,

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 3611/08/2012

Well, I think we can scratch Cuomo's name off the list now.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 3711/08/2012

Hillary would attract a HUGE amount of support among young women. This recent election has mobilized women like never before with all the talk about abortion, rape and contraception. They're empowered and ready to elect one of their own. Just look at the excitement over Elizabeth Warren's candidacy. Electing the first woman POTUS has the same excitement potential as electing our first Black POTUS.

Hillary will not be too old in 2016. Her mother lived well into her 90s, so she has good genes. And for those of you who think an older candidate can't attract young people, just look at Ron Paul. His supporters are mostly in their 20s.

Barack and Michelle will campaign tirelessly for Hillary to turn out the Black vote. Blacks already adore the Clintons. Hillary could afford to lose some of the Black vote because she would attract many more White voters than Obama. Working-class whites love the Clintons.

I was the one who first suggested Julian Castro as a running mate. With him on the ticket, and Obama's likely passage of immigration reform in his second term, Dems will attract a huge number of Hispanics. Brian Schweitzer is my second choice as running mate.

Depending on her competition, Hillary has a chance to win Georgia, Arizona, Arkansas. That would be a game changer.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 3811/08/2012

[quote]This recent election has mobilized women like never before with all the talk about abortion, rape and contraception. They're empowered and ready to elect one of their own.

I totally agree, R38. If the teabaggers and right-wingers like Akin et al. accomplished nothing else, they scared the holy shit out of women. Moderate and liberal women might or might not choose to have an abortion, but it isn't a right they want to have taken away from them or other women. We all know women who needed to have an abortion whether or not they wanted to.

What was even scarier was when women realized these dunderheads also want to deny women access to contraception. In their zeal to keep unmarried women from having sex, they got women thinking about the possibility of a major loss of freedom.

The result is that they got women to head to the polls to vote against them.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 3911/08/2012

Chelsea is going to have a baby and all Hillary wants to do is stay home, make goo-goo noises at her grandchild and blow raspberries into his/her belly.

She's earned it.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 4011/08/2012

How about Barbara Boxer as a VP in 2016?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 4111/08/2012

R41, LOL. She would be 76.

Are we going for the oldest tickets ever?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 4211/08/2012

Whoever the nominee is, I sure hope they use Axelrod/Plouffe/Messina/Cutter to run their campaign. Best campaign team in the history of politics.

If Hillary runs, she needs to use an entirely different team than she used in 2008. They were awful and incapable of running a modern campaign.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 4311/09/2012

Hillary says no now because she's exhausted. She needs to step down as Secretary of State, take a break, get bored, watch Republicans swarm and see where things stand in 2014 after the midterm elections.

Depending on who starts to "emerge" from the Republican pack, we'll see. See if the party is still tearing itself apart and as hapless as it was this year. Let her smell blood.

She can do one term if she feels tired. All those "minorities" and young people that turned out for Obama will support her. Women will support her in droves. Obama will not forget all she did for him, or all the bad feeling, and he will stump for her like crazy. Michelle will. It will be huge.

If she wants to be the first woman President of the most frighteningly powerful country in the world, right now it's hers for the taking.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 4411/09/2012

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 4511/09/2012

Gillibrand has a lot more appeal than Cuomo. I heard him talk on the radio this week and his accent is way too strong.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 4611/09/2012

I would LOVE to see a Hilary Clinton / Joe Biden ticket, but--like some of you--think they just might be too old in 2016.

So, that being said, I think a Sherrod Brown / Tammy Baldwin ticket in 2016 would be awesome!

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 4711/09/2012

put Alan Greyson somewhere on the ticket

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 4811/09/2012

Tulsi Gabbard as VP, please. Thank you.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 4911/09/2012

If Hillary doesn't run, and I think she will run, our nominee will be either Brian Schweitzer or Kirsten Gillibrand.

Amy Klobuchar is also interested in running in 2016. She just won re-election by a huge margin and she's very popular with Democrats and Republicans. However, she's not the most charismatic person in the world. I think the first woman POTUS has to be charismatic to overcome any anti-woman bias.

On Jennifer Granholm's show yesterday, they said that Deval Patrick will probably run for John Kerry's Senate seat if he's appointed SOS. They said he might also be interested in Attorney General if Holder steps down.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 5011/09/2012

For pure entertainment value -

Hilary/Cuomo vs. Ryan/[Rand] Paul.

I would love to see Hilary debate Ryan and Cuomo debate Paul.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 5111/09/2012

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 5211/09/2012

Many of those you suggested are unfamiliar to those outside of their home states. They need to start building a larger national following now, in preparation for any future plans. How about going the talk show route, or appearing on SNL teasingly dissing the Repubs, or starting an online humorous blog on politics? Even nationally promoting one particular issue of concern to younger voters would make a difference.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 5311/09/2012

I like Tim Kaine.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 5411/09/2012

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 5511/09/2012

Cuomo fucked up big time with the gas crisis. His name is mud in NY right now. Too much of a liability at this point given that NY is a big democratic state.

Gillibrand is more of a possibility, and a very interesting one. Especially if Hillary doesn't run. She is one of the best politicians we have out there right now. And if Hills and Barack throw their support behind her, I can't fathom why she wouldn't win.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 5611/09/2012

I was a complete Obama supporter in 2008. But I truly hope Hillary Clinton, whom I now respect much more as a world leader than I ever did as a senator or candidate, runs. She should be our first female president. It will be her one and only future chance to become president. She would be a great president.

And she would clearly win!

No brainer.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 5711/09/2012

If Hillary runs again, I want her to step up her campaign a bit from last time.

She did a good job showing off her experience, her intelligence and her gravitas, but she was too stiff.

She needs to be more loose and natural. She can be as charming as Bill, she should show it.

She neeeds to show off this side of her more.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 5811/11/2012

Gillibrand lacks gravitas.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 5911/11/2012

Gillibrand does, but she is personable and brilliant, she can work on the gravitas.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 6011/11/2012

I hope we see Dennis Kucinich in the primaries again.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 6111/11/2012

Is Howard Dean out of the question if Hillary doesn't run?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 6211/11/2012

It will likely NOT be Gov. Cuomo since he once made the statement he had no intention of taxing NY millionaires another single penny.

Also, with his conflicts with Unions, he looks more and more like your typical corporate DLC centrist Democrat. Just what this country does not need.

And what kind of job is he doing managing the storm Sandy's cleanup?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 6311/11/2012

Amy Klobuchar-All the Way! She is universally respected by both sides of the aisle and is not polarizing like Hillary.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 6411/11/2012

[quote]I would love to see Hilary debate Ryan and Cuomo debate Paul.

Put that on pay per view, and I'd pony up for it.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 6511/11/2012

If Hillary ran, she'd be the best prepared candidate ever, having lived in the white house, served in the senate, ran for the presidency once before, and she already knows just about every head of state in the world.

Who could possibly be better qualified?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 6611/11/2012

"Amy Klobuchar-All the Way! She is universally respected by both sides of the aisle and is not polarizing like Hillary"

I like her, but I'm not sure if she has the charisma

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 6711/11/2012

[quote]I want Martin O'Malley in me quite deeply for the next four years.

Back off, bitch. He's MY state's governor, and he's MINE!

That said, I think for sure that he will be running in 2016. I knew when he ran for governor of Maryland years ago that he probably had his sights set on the presidency. And when the nation gets a load of these guns...

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 6811/11/2012

Speaking of Bill Richardson, guess which Backstreet Boy he's related to...

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 6911/11/2012

Hillary would win; Cuomo would bring a lot as a VP candidate - the gas thing will blow over. Cuomo's dad was very popular as governor. But Hillary would have the best shot of winning.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 7011/11/2012

O'Malley is snoozeville.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 7111/11/2012

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 7211/11/2012

[quote]O'Malley is snoozeville.

The hell he is!

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 7311/11/2012

Brian Scweitzer / Castro - Brian has the midwestern appeal and can help sell progressive ideals into that region - Castro healthy balance of youth and hispanic vote. Both would allow the Dem move further into demos & regions that are not automatic gets

Hillary / Castro if she wishes to run again

Would LOVE for the Dems to be the first to deliver the first woman pres and hispanic after having the 1st African American

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 7411/11/2012

Clinton/Cuomo 2016

Republicans have no chance of beating that ticket!

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 7511/11/2012

Hillary would have to move, though. She's a NY State resident, and so is the Gov (duh).

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 7611/11/2012

R75, I can see the republican code words now. Do you want two *New York Liberals* running your country and telling you that you can't have big gulps and smoke in public?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 7711/11/2012

[quote]Do you want two *New York Liberals* running your country and telling you that you can't have big gulps and smoke in public?

I thought that's Bloomberg, not the liberals.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 7811/11/2012

If Hillary doesn't run (and I don't think she will):

GIllibrand/O'Malley - Takes the same states as Obama

Gillibrand/Castro - Puts a few more states into play, but a weaker ticket

I think the Republican nominee will be Paul Ryan.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 7911/11/2012

Howard Dean!

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 8011/11/2012

The Republicans seriously bring up Jeb Bush as a candidate.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 8111/11/2012

Corey Booker

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 8211/11/2012

Castro will have to become a Representative, Senator or Governor first. Mayors don't run for President. He was introduced to America at the DNC for a possible Presidential run in 2020.

If he ran in 2014, we'd lose without a doubt.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 8311/12/2012

Why did Wesley Clarke's candidacies never go anywhere?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 8411/12/2012

Meant 2016.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 8511/12/2012

dean/warren '16

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 8611/12/2012

[quote]I hope we see Dennis Kucinich in the primaries again.

No. I think he's great about most things, but he is a right wing Polish Catholic when it comes to women's issues. Too bad, but he's regressive.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 8711/12/2012

I don't believe warren has ambitions to be POTUS or VP. The senate will be rather stifling to her in the sense that she has to play the game to achieve things. She can do more good on the banking committee 6 years than diverting time campaigning for a 4 year term full of other responsibilities. Age also is a factor

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 8811/12/2012

Dean/Amy K

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 8911/12/2012

What about Clinton/Dean?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 9011/12/2012

Janet Napolitano?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 9111/12/2012

Hillary will be headed to the Supreme Court, I think.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 9211/12/2012

My state's governor, Martin O'Malley. He's already out kissing babies and hugging kids and shit.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 9411/14/2012

Wasn't O'Malley kind of boring at the convention?

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 9511/16/2012

He's not boring when he's playing tiny clubs and wearing sleaveless/tight shirts

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 9611/16/2012

O'Malley's smart but inadvertently sticks his foot in his mouth too often. At a Hurricane Sandy press conference he made the statement "people will die from this Hurricane" and the press tore him apart on that question. If he wants to run for President he's going to have to work on that.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 9711/17/2012

R87, re Dennis Kucinich: "but he is a right wing Polish Catholic when it comes to women's issues."

Who told you that? He's got a 100% rating from NARAL. I think I'll take their assessment of him over yours.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 9811/17/2012

It's Hillary's if she wants it. As a former New York senator, she'll have to choose her running mate from somewhere other than the Northeast.

For the Republicans, I don't know. They'll all run. The ones they consider their "A Team" are going to have to get through their primaries. If they don't learn any lessons from this election then they'll keep going hard to the right and losing.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 9911/17/2012

We need someone who looks like Palin with the brain of Hillary.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 10011/17/2012

I bet Marianne Williamson will run for president. She's just lauched the Sister Giant movement, to get the spiritual and enlightened crowd to add their voices to politics. She wants love to be the bottom line, not economics.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 10111/17/2012

It's got to be Hillary!

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 10211/17/2012

r97 what was 'wrong' with the 'people will die' statement? National Weather Service in NJ said the same thing in their bulletin:

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 10311/17/2012

The Republicans are in such disarray I'd like to see a variety of candidates and tickets from the Dem side.

I really like the idea of a Dean/Warren ticket but neither want the Presidency I would imagine.

I would rather see Hillary on the Supreme Court.

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 10411/17/2012

R103 I don't think anything was "wrong" with what he said. He was absolutely truthful. However, it probably wasn't the right way to say what he meant to say, and he certainly shouldn't have said it in front of a gaggle of reporters, who basically focused on tearing apart his statement. Plus, some sick-minded person could later point to a death and say "the governor caused to happen because he said it would." So, it wasn't the best thing to say politically...

by Rafalca, Staunch Democratreply 10511/17/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!