Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is it time to do away with the Electoral College?

The founding fathers created this system because they felt the simple common man could not intelligently vote. I think we have moved beyond that system. What say you DL?

I say no. We elect NO one else based on this system.

by Anonymousreply 2311/08/2012

They were right, OP.

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2012

A 50 state election would be so outrageously expensive and I shudder to think of what unregulated corporate money would do to the system.

by Anonymousreply 211/07/2012

If it's true that a few yahoos in Ohio are the ones really picking the presidents, then yes. It's time to do away the Electoral College.

by Anonymousreply 311/07/2012

R2, what in the world are you talking about?

R2, you seem quite confused about what doing away with the electoral college means.

by Anonymousreply 411/07/2012

This election proved the Founding Fathers right - 48% of the population clearly did not intelligently vote - especially those who voted against their own self-interests.

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2012

So this is what the teabaggers are going to push for, now?

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012

After results were announced 25% of votes in California hadn' been counted, 212,000 in Ohio and 9,000 in Florida. Would it have made a difference?Maybe not, but why bother to vote if you're not part of result?

by Anonymousreply 711/08/2012

Isn't it more important to do away with Teabaggers, Libertarians and Republicans, first?

by Anonymousreply 811/08/2012

I used to think that the Electoral College was anachronistic, especially after Bush v Gore.

However, now that I know The Nation is pushing it, I have to reconsider. My first thought is that since white voters outside major cities are declining as a percent of the population, somehow the Electoral College reduces the impact of this demographic change.

If The Nation is pushing it, it cannot be good for anyone but staunchly conservative, rethug causes.

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2012

I think it would be far better to do away with political parties instead.

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2012

I'm also for getting rid of 2 senators per state no matter what the population.

In theory.

Then I remind myself that the Dems run the Senate and - perhaps because of "creative" districting - the Republicans run the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 1111/08/2012

^I meant the R's run the House. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2012

If Turd Blossom and his billionaire backers continue to try to steal elections then yes we still need it. Get rid of Citizens United and then we'll talk.

by Anonymousreply 1311/08/2012

An amendment to the Constitution would be almost impossible to get though the required 75 per cent of state legislatures. The college gives small states at least 3 electoral votes, more power than in a popular vote election. An example this time in New Hampshire.

by Anonymousreply 1411/08/2012

"Yes" should be winning way more, especially on a liberal forum. The entire election process needs to be reformed.

by Anonymousreply 1511/08/2012

It's not the electoral college that is the problem. This country needs to federalize voting. Florida is such a mess. No state should be using two part chads and all states should have the same uniform early voting laws. No local politician be it in PA, Ohio or Florida should ever have the power to manipulate an election.

by Anonymousreply 1611/08/2012

If the South didn't exist, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 1711/08/2012

R9, "The Nation" is a very liberal publication. I don't know why you think they'd support a "staunchly conservative rethug" cause but I can't imagine them doing such a thing.

I think you may be confused.

by Anonymousreply 1811/08/2012

When you talk about this with your friends, and we know will, remember that the emphasis is on the second syllable. The word is eh-LEC-tor-al

by Anonymousreply 1911/08/2012

The electoral college had no impact on this election. Obama won the popular vote, and won in the electoral college. So what's the problem, OP? Still worrying about Gore in 2000?

by Anonymousreply 2011/08/2012

It keeps us from turning states like Wyoming into nuclear waste sites. The best way I've heard it described is "Affirmative action for hayseeds."

by Anonymousreply 2111/08/2012

If you get rid of the Electoral college, then get rid of small states. The most populated states would sway an election more than their electoral votes.

by Anonymousreply 2211/08/2012

R222: I agree. The candidates would be spending all thier time in California and New York. The only states that would not be affected would the large swing states, such as Florida and Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 2311/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!