Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why did Mitt Romney really lose?

I'd like to believe that the American people said "ENOUGH" to the rightwing.

I feel hopeful about America again.

by Anonymousreply 3211/07/2012

God, so many, many things, like: People were put off by his 'vote me in now and I tell you what I really stand for later when I move into the White House' approach.

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2012

Because enough Americans have enough memory cells to remember why the economy was destroyed, and that reversing course on tax policy and the war and targeting spending are right in principle to get out of it... and that the reason the economy stuck is that Republicans were determined to make things worse to discredit Obama.

The rest of Americans who convinced themselves that a rich white heir of a dynasty must not have fucked economy but instead the black man did it are insane. The rest of the morons who went with them for Romney were the "JUST FIX IT!" types who have no ideas, no intellect, and no willingness to read and learn, so their wrath at Obama (apart from their knee-jerk reaction to tax policy, siding with the rich) made them pissy little infants. Their votes against Obama basically were the voting equivalent of saying "ugh!"

Fortunately they were outnumbered by people who knew Romney was saying nothing substantive other than to cut taxes and go back to the ways that destroyed the economy.

by Anonymousreply 211/07/2012

As much as I want to believe the previous posters, I think Romney lost because Obama got more people out. I don't think anyone who was going to vote for Romney in the first place was convinced to do otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 311/07/2012

He lost because he had no message of his own. He changed his skin to get the nomination and then became Obama to win the presidency. The bottom line is NO ONE likes him, not even Repugnicans

by Anonymousreply 411/07/2012

Because he was a flawed candidate and he ran a poorer campaign.

by Anonymousreply 511/07/2012

Because America is not white. It is several different races, religions and communities and we ALL matter.

It is more than that old white guy on the porch screaming for everyone to 'get off my lawn'!

by Anonymousreply 611/07/2012

What really interests me is "How did he almost win?" 48% of the voters went for a man who would say anything, true or not, to win. I'd like to think the moderate portion of his vote was due to the harsh economic environment.

But still, we live in a country where being a religious white male is enough to win the Presidency, with or without intelligence or principles.

by Anonymousreply 711/07/2012

People saw him as the shifty car salesman who sold them a clunker in their own personal past.

by Anonymousreply 811/07/2012

This election was too close to make the assumption OP is suggesting. If this election had been a rejection of the right wing, the house of representatives wouldn't have remained in rethuglican hands. This election defined the split in the US population. The main thing that I see in the results was how successful the rethugs were in getting so many of the working poor to vote with them in spite of such a vote being against their best interests. That's really quite scary. Racism is strongly in the mix of reasons why so many of the white lower class voted rethug. Hopefully, these voters are older and will rapidly be hitting the local grave yards.

by Anonymousreply 911/07/2012

He lost because he kissed too much tea party ass. He was a moderate and IMHO had a much better chance if he would have distanced himself from them.

Republicans need to shut the fucking tea party wackos down!

by Anonymousreply 1011/07/2012

"Republicans need to shut the fucking tea party wackos down."

And religious wackos like Rick Santorum and his band of child molesters, the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 1111/07/2012

I do think it is fair to interpret the election as a (narrow) rejection of the Republican prescription of more tax cuts and massive spending cuts. Austerity has been repeatedly shown to be a failure in Europe, but tehy would have tried it.

The economy is very likely to come roaring back soon. Now Obama will get the credit and join Clinton is establishing the Democratic brand as the prosperity party.

by Anonymousreply 1211/07/2012

Skinwalkers never win.

by Anonymousreply 1311/07/2012

Because the republican cheating machines didn't work as well this time (try as they might yet again in Florida and Ohio)? Maybe it takes a really stupid dumbass like "DUBYA" to make cheating as truly successful as it was in 2000 and 2004--say what you will about him, Romney isn't as stupid as bush was and is way better at duplicity.

by Anonymousreply 1411/07/2012

Start with the fact that the GOP is fractured internally. They never fully got behind him. He was a poor candidate in that he never connected with voters. Complete lack of charisma.

He ran a bad campaign. No coherent message except vote against Obama. And with all that, he actually could have won if he had not lied. So Much. And that Jeep ad killed him. It did. He actually had a shot at Ohio before that ad.

The media didn't really like him, either. He refused to speak to anyone, give any interviews for more than 24 days leading up to the election.

He offered no programs or policy discussions. His changes in positions were laughable until they became disturbing. He showed a lack of judgement and a lack of leadership skills repeatedly, and as the campaign wore on he looked more and more Nixonian, like a slimey used car salesman.

His wife had a scrunchy, mean face.

by Anonymousreply 1511/07/2012

If you have to ask, you weren't following the campaign closely.

by Anonymousreply 1611/07/2012

I heart R15

by Anonymousreply 1711/07/2012

Romney's not really a political animal, his campaign team should be shot - that's how bad they were, he's wooden on the stump, Americans know that the Republicans fucked up the economy and, ultimately, the President ran a hell of a good campaign.

There are a thousand reasons why Romney lost but I think it may just boil down to the fact that he had no reason why he wanted to be President, he just wanted it because he wanted it.

Americans don't like spoiled, entitled, incompetent fuckwits who try to muscle in on the presidency for no other reason than their own vanity. (Except GWB but they don't like him anymore.)

by Anonymousreply 1811/07/2012

According to Republican party leader Rush Limbaugh, who I'm listening to now, Romney lost because:

1. Obama played Santa Claus the last four years and made it possible for deadbeats in this country to buy cell phones, cars, and even food.

2. The mainstream media covered up the fact that the Republican party is much more inclusive than the Democratic party.

3. Romney did not run a conservative campaign.

by Anonymousreply 1911/07/2012

My father, who is Republican, doesn't like him because he has no backbone. He lacks the courage of his convictions, which makes him wishy-washy and unreliable.

by Anonymousreply 2011/07/2012

I think being Mormon cost him some votes. When it really comes down to it, how many of us trust Mormons with their magic underwear, polygamy and weird secrets?

I honestly can't ever see myself voting for one of them.

by Anonymousreply 2111/07/2012

Percentage of White Vote:

2008: 74%

2012: 72%

2016: under 70%(prediction)

by Anonymousreply 2211/07/2012

In the end even many traditional Repub white male voters didn't trust MR enough, or believe that he had realistic solutions to the nation's problems. They were unwilling to throw out Obama, unless they were convinced the alternative was decisively better. Armies of volunteers creatively worked to get out the vote in swing states, targeting those often ignored during elections. The future success of the Dems lies in instigating economic ways that motivate voters. Nationwide "I Voted Parties?"

by Anonymousreply 2311/07/2012

[quote]1. Obama played Santa Claus the last four years and made it possible for deadbeats in this country to buy cell phones, cars, and even food.

Food!

by Anonymousreply 2411/07/2012

What R22 means is "percentage of total vote cast by whites."

by Anonymousreply 2511/07/2012

I agree with the poster who said Obama won primiarly because of his turnout machine. It was way closer than it should have been based on how awful a candidate Romney was.

The scary thing for me is how many voters only turn out for Presidential elections and who end up sitting on their asses during the mid-terms. Think of how much more Obama could have accomplished if all those voters had come out in 2010 to beat back the Tea Party takeover. Obama's got a great coalition, but it takes a lot of effort to bring them out. They need to focus now on taking back the house in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 2611/07/2012

Romney totally lost the Muppet vote. That's why he didn't win. Anyone who threatens the livelihood of a Muppet will never gain the White House.

by Anonymousreply 2711/07/2012

Don't develop a short memory, OP. The extreme right have memories like elephants. And they are lying in wait.

by Anonymousreply 2811/07/2012

They may have memories like elephants, but we vote like threatened birds.

by Anonymousreply 2911/07/2012

Obama has been a relatively good president.

Romney is an unmitigated (or rather mitigated, as he is constantly watering himself down and reshaping himself) asshole.

The question isn't why Romney lost. The question is how he could have gotten as much of the popular vote as he did.

by Anonymousreply 3011/07/2012

I agree, R30

by Anonymousreply 3111/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.