Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I live in Colorado, and am shocked by the numbers of people upset about legalization of marijuana.

My republican friends/coworkers are more upset about marijuana than Romney losing. They all say that it is going to hurt their children, and one lady that I work with said that she wants to move to another state (she has teenagers). Do they not realize how easy it is to get weed on the streets already? You would think that they would be happy about the tax revenue.

by Anonymousreply 2511/07/2012

They have their heads in the sand. Their kids are already drinking and driving ever damn weekend.

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2012

The world is changing and they can't deal with it. The fact is going after/imprisoning people over marijuana is a huge waste of tax dollars. Much smarter to regulate and tax. As "fiscal conservatives" you'd think they would understand that.

by Anonymousreply 211/07/2012

The world's going to hell in a fast car. Obama's driving, the cars full of gays, and Little Junior's smoking wacky weed in the back seat.

by Anonymousreply 311/07/2012

I think the federal gov't will fight against this in court before it is allowed.

by Anonymousreply 411/07/2012

As soon as I polish off this bottle of Smirnoff, I'm packing up the kids and moving to Wyoming to get away from the marijuana!!!

by Anonymousreply 511/07/2012

Even if that happens the fact is the people of Washington and Colorado have made their voices heard that they think the marijuana prohibition is stupid and bad for their states.

These things matter, it changes the conversation, it starts a trend.

by Anonymousreply 611/07/2012

I would be angry as well. Like Althea, it is an ugly, monstrous plant in structure and foliage and will ruin many gardens and landscapes.

by Anonymousreply 711/07/2012

The unfortunate thing is, though the states voted to legalize pot, the people of WA and CO will still be held to the Federal laws for any company who gets federal money of any kind, as they drug test. In states with medical MJ, even if you have a real doctor, not someone in a VW van with an MD from an online school, you can still be fired for having any THC in your pee.

by Anonymousreply 811/07/2012

I suggest your friends and colleagues take a chill pill (totally non-ironically... of course).

by Anonymousreply 911/07/2012

R2 makes a great point. I don't necessarily think the legalization of marijuana is going to result in everyone blazing up all the time. Those who smoke will continue to smoke and there will maybe be a few newbies, but nothing drastic. I mean, there's plenty of other reasons not to smoke other than illegality.

Legalization is good so that time, money, resources don't have to be wasted pursuing marijuana convictions and incarcerating offenders. The state can stop spending (or reduce spending) that money, and leave it to the Feds to decide if they want to go after any particular offender.

I should say that with the state/federal split in marijuana legality, I don't know if I'd be that ballsy about lighting up.

by Anonymousreply 1011/07/2012

This law is the beginning of the end of civilization.

We can't have industrial hem-- er, recreational marijuana. It'll ruin the country!

by Anonymousreply 1111/07/2012

Take a BIG pan of brownies to work tomorrow, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1211/07/2012

MMJ Patient and former "Bud-tender" from Colorado here. Proud to say that I voted for 64 and hardly for personal reasons:

There is going to be a lot more legislation within the state of Colorado as a result of this. Particularly with regards to the methods for purchases, the sales tax, forms of identification, debate about the limit of amount an individual can carry at any given time, etc.

I used to work at a dispensary and I can assure you DLrs that roughly only 30% of our business was for patients in need of medicine. The rest were either recreational users or dealers themselves.

As far as I'm concerned, this legislation is a step forward in the right direction. It reduces unnecessary, petty criminal charges (as we Americans have the highest incarceration rate in the world) and I am happy to pay the extra tax.

The Feds/DEA have already visited the largest dispensary in Colorado and made no arrests so I doubt they're going to take any swift action, as they would be their most likely target in the effort to scare off other states from passing similar legislation.

It will be interesting to see how the private corporations with Colorado-based offices will react to this. They could start mandatory drug-testing as some already do. The "I'm a patient, it's medicine" defense is then null and void making smokers vulnerable with regards to their employment status.

by Anonymousreply 1311/07/2012

What r2

by Anonymousreply 1411/07/2012

lol, you hear the same fraus up at the ski resorts, lamenting the corruption of their kids by the chairlift in front of them smoking a little weed. I've even seen some letters to the editor written to mountain newspapers. Ugh. Locals laugh it all off. Live & let live. Regulate & tax it - that's what we passed last night. It should be great revenue for the state.

by Anonymousreply 1511/07/2012

Bake them some brownies, OP, they'll calm down.

by Anonymousreply 1611/07/2012

One great thing will come from this change: They'll push through "smell control" legislation. I live next door to a "med MJ" smoker and the aroma is awful 24/7. There was nothing the police could do either. But now there will be.

by Anonymousreply 1711/07/2012

I don't smoke marijuana but don't really care if others do or not. Clearly it's silly to make a case against it, let alone a big case, though I can't say that I'm much allied with those who think legalization is especially important, let alone those for whom it's almost of single issue importance.

by Anonymousreply 1811/07/2012

How will smell be controlled with this new law, R17?

I don't live in Colorado, but find this passage fascinating, and would enjoy hearing more details.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1911/07/2012

Why did they choose legalization, as opposed to decriminalization?

by Anonymousreply 2011/07/2012

How old are these people? It seems hard to believe there is anyone under the age of 50 who hasn't tried it or at least been around people when they smoke. One would have to had led a very sheltered and boring life if they dont realize how harmless this stuff is.

by Anonymousreply 2111/07/2012

Marijuana needs to be decriminalized and legalized. Period.

by Anonymousreply 2211/07/2012

^yep^

by Anonymousreply 2311/07/2012

I'm moving to Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 2411/07/2012

r19, the legal system was hesitant to tell "sick" people that they had to control the smell (nuisance factor) of MJ. Now that it's more generally legal, they can go forward with "quality of life" rules related to MJ use.

I know that Boulder has a draft statute in the hopper.

by Anonymousreply 2511/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.