Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Tide Has Turned

Think about the firsts that we saw yesterday:

- A President who openly supports same-sex marriage won re-election.

- An openly gay candidate won election to the U.S. Senate.

- Same-sex marriage won at the ballot box in two, and possibly three, states.

- A state rejected a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

by Anonymousreply 5911/10/2012

Indeed, OP.

It was a great night for equality.

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2012

I forgot two:

- A party that included support for same-sex marriage in their platform took the Presidency and increased their lead in the Senate.

- And that support was a non-issue in the election.

by Anonymousreply 311/07/2012

And don't forget explicit inclusion in the President's acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 411/07/2012

And don't forget the legal weed without the medical hypocrisy in WA and CO

by Anonymousreply 511/07/2012

You can't tell me that President Obama's support of Gay Marriage didn't have something to do with defeating the bias too.

I don't want to hear any more people whining about Obama's 'reluctance' during the early days. We are here NOW.

It feels good.

by Anonymousreply 611/07/2012

Amen, R6.

And I hope Obama takes the lesson from this: With one statement, he was able to LEAD this country, to CHANGE the tide. HE really moved the needle on this, strongly.

Now he needs to do that on a host of other issues.

by Anonymousreply 711/07/2012

This is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 811/07/2012

You left out the two states approving the recreational use of MJ

by Anonymousreply 911/07/2012

Hurrah!

by Anonymousreply 1011/07/2012

But let's also remember in the future that all elections count.

We jumped ship in 2010. We treated President Obama and the administration rather shabbily. They were already on our side and making great changes.

We were stingy with our support in hopes that we would accelerate the pace of the change.

The results of 2010 continue to reverberate strongly:

- the Tea Party lives on

- the governorships which flipped to Republican control dictated to a large extent the redistricting which keeps many GOP seats in safe hands

- unions were screwed in Wisconsin and elsewhere

- the obstructionism of the GOP blocked key pieces of legislation which would deal with unemployment and the debt crisis

- ENDA can not pass in the House for the moment

I had a terse email exchange in 2010 with a senior figure in the LGBT political fundraising world about the foolhardiness of the "boycotts" of the DNC and other Democratic groups.

I was told that we needed to exert this pressure to achieve our goals.

Well, surprise, the wheels were already in motion.

But we made our point - pity it cost us the House and so much more.

Many will argue the merits of strategic apathy in 2010 but the unintended consequences were dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 1111/07/2012

R6 R7 Why doesn't anyone give any credit to Joe Biden, without whose outspokenness Obama might not have come out as pro-marriage equality?

by Anonymousreply 1211/07/2012

It's good to be alive to see this all if this. Just wonderful!

by Anonymousreply 1311/07/2012

Yes, R12, Uncle Joe let that horse out of the barn.

by Anonymousreply 1411/07/2012

[quote]Yes, [R12], Uncle Joe let that horse out of the barn.

With the White House's blessing...

That was no chance comment...

by Anonymousreply 1511/07/2012

When you sit out an election or vote for a third-party candidate in order to "send a message," the message you're sending is, "I'm a fucking idiot."

by Anonymousreply 1611/07/2012

Joe's jumping the gun was planned by the president to prep the media and the country for his endorsement of same sex marriage.

by Anonymousreply 1711/07/2012

Bill O'Reilly:

by Anonymousreply 1811/07/2012

And just think how many so called "democrats" belittled those who pressured Obama and the democrats to repeal DADT, to take a stand on gay marriage, etc etc.

We were "spoiled children" who wanted "our ponies". Remember that?

How many times did we hear that coming out for gay marriage would ruin Obama's chances for re-election? That it would cripple the democratic party.

And now look at what we have.

I thank people like Dan Choi, because they were right all along. And they ignored the haters and fought to get what we deserved.

And the ones who complained about all the noise? Meh. Unfortunately, they get to reap the benefits too. Yet you won't hear any apologies coming from their big mouths.

by Anonymousreply 1911/07/2012

Actually, R19, they just bitched and moaned and accused Obama of being a homophobe instead of seeing the obvious. Dan Choi screaming for it to rain after clouds clearly start to develop on the horizon doesn't mean he made it rain.

by Anonymousreply 2011/07/2012

And R19 they still haven't apologized or said they were wrong to call Obama a homophobe. They had no faith in him at all but now love to act like their work changed the heart and mind of a black president who once hated gays.

by Anonymousreply 2111/07/2012

Now people have witnessed that all the doom and gloom hysteria about the destruction of marriage and the collapse of civilization was total bullshit, opponents can only argue that their religious beliefs are more important than the dignity. happiness, and equality of gay people. That is a losing argument in most of the country.

by Anonymousreply 2211/07/2012

[quote]We were "spoiled children" who wanted "our ponies". Remember that?

Yeah.

It was true.

The Obama administration was keeping its promises. The "spoiled children" were unhappy with the pace of change.

They sat out 2010.

So we lost the House.

[quote]And now look at what we have.

DADT repeal and endorsements for ENDA passage and DOMA repeal. The decision not to defend DOMA. And a public declaration of support of marriage Equality from a president who was always in favor but waited until the time was right politically to make his stance known.

Terrific, but it has not led to other legislative wins. That's happening at the state and local level. And it always was.

DADT repeal was a done deal - enough of the Choi nonsense. Nice but very flawed guy. He was never involved in the negotiations between SLDN, HRC et al with the White House and Congress. Hard truth.

ENDA was coming. DOMA repeal had a shot.

Not after 2010.

So, boy, that was some brilliant fucking strategy on your part.

There is no other way to cut it: a failure to support the Democrats without reservation and in full in 2010 had direct consequences on the Equality movement and knock-on effects for unions, redistricting and the nation's economy.

Some misguided Equality advocates, like yourself, simply could not put the general interests of the nation ahead of the *pace* of progress with allies.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

by Anonymousreply 2311/07/2012

More votes were cast for Democrat House members than Republican House members... the only reason there are more Republicans in the House is due to gerrymandering by Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 2411/07/2012

I agree r19, of course you're going to get your head bitten off here in Obamabot Land, but you are correct.

by Anonymousreply 2511/07/2012

[quote]the only reason there are more Republicans in the House is due to gerrymandering by Republicans.

Direct consequence of willful failure to support the Democrats in 2010.

But pinheads will be pinheads...and they didn't even get their ponies.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

by Anonymousreply 2611/07/2012

the closet = death

by Anonymousreply 2711/07/2012

Of course I'm right R25. But this pathetic attempt at spin is very amusing, I have to say.

"they still haven't apologized or said they were wrong to call Obama a homophobe."

I never called Obama a homophobe. I know there were some who did. And I agree that was wrong. But there were just as many who equated any criticism of Obama on gay rights to accusing him of homophobia.

So the ball is still in your court on that one.

"The Obama administration was keeping its promises"

Meanwhile, those of us who were living in reality saw that was not the case. In fact, we saw much of nothing. You should have shared your crystal ball with everyone since you seem to be the only one outside of the administration who knew exactly what was going on.

"ENDA was coming. DOMA repeal had a shot."

LOL. You'll still be clinging to that sorry delusion eighty years from now, won't you? No one can be this clueless.

ENDA and DOMA were never going to happen at that time. Not when DADT was still up in the air and a majority of the party weren't saying nothing on gay marriage. Yes, the surprise was waiting behind the wings. Three dimensional chess, blah, blah, blah.

What we got was as good (and better) than we were going to get. All the fiction you spout isn't going to mask that fact.

"There is no other way to cut it: a failure to support the Democrats without reservation and in full in 2010 had direct consequences on the Equality movement and knock-on effects for unions, redistricting and the nation's economy."

It did not impede the equality movement at all. We're really clinging to straws now. And the economy is in bad shape? Are you aware of the unemployment figures of the past two months?

2010 happened because of an inactive democratic and because of people like you. You've done nothing for the past four years except whine and throw tantrums. You accepted mediocrity and laziness. Some of us didn't. Those who didn't are responsible for where we are today.

You are not. You impede progress. You don't get to speak for anyone.

You don't have nothing to say on this matter, because you contributed nothing. And you're dumb enough to keep beating the same tired drum over and over. The parade has passed you by, dear. Pack it up and go home. You're just embarassing yourself at this point.

by Anonymousreply 2811/07/2012

Still, we can all look back fondly on all those who loved chiming in on DL about how Obama was a total loser when it came to gay rights. As persuasive on this front as they have often been on all manner of DL topics through the years.

by Anonymousreply 2911/07/2012

r29: I remember very early in Obama's first term (oh it does sound nice to say that), he told critics from the left something along the lines of "keep putting pressure on me" to get results.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

by Anonymousreply 3011/07/2012

A Historic Night For Gay Americans!!!

Consider the following:

A sitting president came out in support of gay marriage in the midst of campaigning for reelection.

HISTORY WAS MADE: The first openly gay senator, Tammy Baldwin was elected!!!

- Illinois elected its fourth openly gay member of the Illinois House of Representatives, Democrat Sam Yingling.

- North Dakota elected its first openly gay state legislator, Democrat Josh Boschee.

- In Colorado, voters returned openly gay U.S. Democratic Representative Jared Polis to office.

- In Rhode Island, they re-elected openly gay Democratic Representative David Cicilline.

- In New York, openly gay Democratic candidate Sean Patrick Maloney defeated incumbent Nan Hayworth.

Two states: Maryland, and Maine passed gay marriage equality last night. Minnesota rejected a ban on same-sex marriage.

“The results in Maine and Maryland broke a 32-state streak, dating to 1998, in which gay marriage had been rebuffed by every state that voted on it. They will become the seventh and eighth states to allow same-sex couples to marry.”

UPDATE: HOMOPHOBIC MAYOR, JANICE DANIELS RECALLED!!!

Obama will get to nominate up to four new Supreme Court justices (lifetime appointments that will be handling the issue of gay rights) in his second term, with a full Democratic majority (Democrats picked even more Senate seats). The court will be officially titled to the Left.

Oh, and let’s hear it for our gay brother, Nate Silver, the king of poll aggregating! All the haters (Republicans, Joe Scarborough, and that ridiculous Unskewed Polls web site) now have egg on their faces!!! Suck it. Nate is now a political dynamo/celebrity. His career is set! Nate has turned the polling industry and world of punditry upside down! FiveThirtyEight is where it’s at! Check out his new (and the first of many) book!

by Anonymousreply 3111/07/2012

[quote]It did not impede the equality movement at all. We're really clinging to straws now. And the economy is in bad shape? Are you aware of the unemployment figures of the past two months?

Wow. Just wow.

The Republican House shot down all additional stimulus and job creation legislation.

The 2010 losses meant Obama's economic agenda was essentially dead.

The Republicans were not going to do anything to let him succeed, even at the nation's expense.

The fact that you refer to the last two months of job creation rather than the total number of jobs created under Obama underscores your ignorance of facts.

[quote]2010 happened because of an inactive democratic and because of people like you. You've done nothing for the past four years except whine and throw tantrums.

So, on the one hand you concede that 2010 happened because of an inactive Democratic base which includes, of course, the boneheads who advocated sitting out the election and starving the Democrats of money - i.e., you.

Your lack of action in 2010 contributed to the inevitable failure of both DOMA repeal and the passage of ENDA.

You contributed to the weakening of unions and the redistricting which meant we could not take back the House this cycle.

Are you arguing that your failure to do everything in your power to win in 2010 did not contribute to these setbacks?

As to who did what, you just cannot avoid that trap, can you? People who criticize you certainly can't be champions of Equality. They certainly could not have told other members of the LGBT community that their decision to withdraw support was a major tactical error. Right? That's your point?

They couldn't possibly have been briefed as major donors re SLDN's DADT repeal efforts and Lambda Legal's legal battles. Of course not! Preposterous!

And if you are dull enough to think that people engaging at those levels haven't earned their stripes through years of activism and fundraising...well, actually, you probably are.

You reek of the worst sort of keyboard terrorist...ill-informed and filled with unearned righteous indignation.

[quote] You accepted mediocrity and laziness. Some of us didn't. Those who didn't are responsible for where we are today.

And where are we exactly at the national level?

Clearly you have advanced the cause for cornerstone pieces of federal legislation, right?

Wake the fuck up.

We lost in 2010 because people like you gave up. You didn't get everything you wanted in 22 months so you just picked up your marbles and walked away in a huff.

And now you try to say that, hey, that never mattered anyway and look at all the great things you've done since.

The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 3211/07/2012

[quote]The Obama administration was keeping its promises. The "spoiled children" were unhappy with the pace of change.

They sat out 2010.

So we lost the House.

THIS.

by Anonymousreply 3311/07/2012

[quote]Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Stopped wheels get replaced.

by Anonymousreply 3411/07/2012

This idea that gays cost Democrats the House is absurd. Obama pissed off a lot more people than gays in his first two years.

The President 's "endorsement" of gay marriage was a political move to shore up gay support and money for the election. Had the passage of Obamacare been a success or if the economy recovered more fully, he would not have budged. Guess what? Because we withheld support when we were treated badly, he moved on our direction and gays in three states just got ponies.

by Anonymousreply 3511/07/2012

DOMA and ENDA were never happening in Obama's first term. I don't know who is trying to peddle such nonsense, but it reeks of trolling. The 2010 nonsense has also worn its course. We lost for many reasons. Stop with the Uncle Tom-ish shit.

Any change in civil rights in this country has not happened by government alone. It has always taken the people to stand up and fight for it. To think that gay people were going to get anywhere by the sheer will of the government alone is laughable. A "wait and see" approach has never worked.

I've no doubt Obama has plans put in motion to eventually deal with DADT and gay marriage, but it took the people speaking up and demanding it to get him to enact such changes. That's how it works. You get the feedback, and you react accordingly.

Why do you think he had Hillary issue the same sex benefits first? Why do you think he had Biden speak out for gay marriage first?

Obama asked people to hold his feet to the fire regarding these issues. The people responded. And he listened. The end. You find fault with that, well it was Obama who asked the people to "help him". And you're going to blame the people for doing what he asked? Ridiculous.

The people who think we should have said nothing are irrelevant. As are the people who think he can do nothing right. It's all noise from both ends at this point as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 3711/07/2012

R23 - R32 is correct. Those who sat out the 2010 election did a lot of damage with that little tantrum. The sad part is that they are so stupid and poorly informed about politics that they did it for no fucking reason at all.

So, that's settled and now it's time to move forward. We do need to reach an understanding before we embark on another election cycle. To those who sat out 2010 - do not ever, EVER do that again. I don't give a fuck how pissed off you are about anything or everything or nothing. Get your asses to the polls, send in your contributions and shut the fuck up before you destroy us.

by Anonymousreply 3811/07/2012

Also, OP, Iowa refused to recall one of the state supreme court justices who voted in favor of marriage equality. Two of the other justices who voted with the majority were booted in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 3911/07/2012

R23 and R38 fail to mention the two years that the democrats had control of everything and did nothing. Why didn't DADT, speaking out on gay marriage happen in those two years?

It's the flaw in their great stupidity. But of course, there's always a strawman, always an excuse.

We'd have nothing if we listened to these clowns. That's a fact.

And it is these morons that helped cause 2010 to happen. Shame on both of you.

You speak for no one anymore. So either apologize or shut the fuck up. We're tired of your noise.

by Anonymousreply 4011/07/2012

R40--You are conveniently ignoring the Republican abuse of the filibuster. Nothing would get through without a Republican sign-off. I understood that Obama had other things to accomplish that were more important to the nation as a whole than repealing DADT. I would have been angry if he didn't ultimately deliver, but he did. Crying that it didn't happen immediately is pretty self-centered.

by Anonymousreply 4111/07/2012

Homophobic Troy Mayor Janice Daniels Recalled by Voters After One Year in Office

Janice Daniels, the highly controversial mayor of Troy, Michigan, will not finish out her term after losing a recall vote by a measure of 52.2% to 47.8%.

While voters in Maine, Maryland, Washington, and Wisconsin voted to move gay rights forward, Troy residents did their part by ejecting a mayor who referred to homosexuality as a "mental disorder," and told her Facebook followers she had to stop using her "I Love New York City" tote bag because "queers" can get married there.

The Tea Party-affiliated "independent" later tried to walk back some of her comments, but it wasn't enough to stave off the recall.

"It just astounds me someone like her could ever become mayor," one voter told The Detroit News. "We are a culturally diverse city, and to make some of the comments that she has is just unacceptable."

Unacceptable comments costing candidates their seats were a running theme last night, but both Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin and Richard "Rape Babies are a Gift From God" Mourdock losing their respective races to Democratic opponents

by Anonymousreply 4211/07/2012

[quote]Unacceptable comments costing candidates their seats were a running theme last night, but both Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin and Richard "Rape Babies are a Gift From God" Mourdock losing their respective races to Democratic opponents

Akin and Mourdock were the real gifts from God ... to their Democratic opponents!

by Anonymousreply 4311/07/2012

"You are conveniently ignoring the Republican abuse of the filibuster."

No, I mentioned strawman arguments and excuses.

So it couldn't happen when the democrats controlled every branch because of the Republican fillibuster, but it did happen when the Republicans controlled the House?

Come on.

Obama was for it. The people held his feet to the fire (like he asked), and he responded accordingly.

Obama, the democrats and the activists are all to thank. Those are just the facts.

The naysayers, and the ones who tried to curb the movement are just blobs of noise. And they have no say anymore. They've tried their best to hinder progress. And how can you call yourself a democrat or liberal and yet attack and dismiss your fellow gays and lesbians who fought for equal rights?

Now that's incredibly self-centered behavior.

by Anonymousreply 4411/07/2012

It did not happen when the Republicans controlled the House. The fact that you imagine it possibly might have shows you know nothing about politics. Good day, sir.

by Anonymousreply 4511/07/2012

[quote]The President 's "endorsement" of gay marriage was a political move to shore up gay support and money for the election. Had the passage of Obamacare been a success or if the economy recovered more fully, he would not have budged. Guess what? Because we withheld support when we were treated badly, he moved on our direction and gays in three states just got ponies.

You can't possibly know that, and frankly, there's plenty of evidence that you are just completely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4611/07/2012

[quote]The President 's "endorsement" of gay marriage was a political move to shore up gay support and money for the election.

idiot. he could have potentially lost a lot of votes that the gays could not have made up for. it was a major risk.

by Anonymousreply 4711/07/2012

Forward.

by Anonymousreply 4811/07/2012

Honestly, in 2008, I never really 'got' the "Hope" part of "Hope & Change." I was and still am a Hillary supporter. And being the news and political junkie that I am, I'm just too cynical to fall for the 'hope.' I just don't have all that much faith in the American public to do the right thing.

But finally last night, I got the "Change" part. I'm coming around to Barack Obama. I would never ever vote for Romney. But now the light has come on wihin me, and I can see change. I can see that finally it's possible. And for the first time in a long time, the American public did the right thing. And today is a great day. The tide has turned. Things won't be easy ahead, but the likes of Romney have been stomped on and solidly told that they are wrong.

And Change feels so good.

by Anonymousreply 4911/07/2012

About time, R49.

by Anonymousreply 5011/07/2012

Big of you to admit.

by Anonymousreply 5111/08/2012

*YAWN*

Let me guys know when the most conservative city in your country elects a gay-friendly South Asian Muslim that is rumored to be gay as their mayor.

by Anonymousreply 5211/08/2012

whatevs

by Anonymousreply 5311/09/2012

COLORADO ELECTS GAY SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE

The tide continues...

by Anonymousreply 5411/09/2012

[quote]COLORADO ELECTS GAY SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE

We already have one in California.

by Anonymousreply 5511/09/2012

it's all good, r55. did r54 say "first"? why no.

by Anonymousreply 5611/09/2012

r47, it was not a major risk.

The tide started turning when gay marriage passed in NYS. After that, politicians realized supporting gay causes was a smart decision financially. The politicians that supported gay rights all received financial report. At that point, polls were also flipping over showing most Americans were coming around.

Obama backing gay marriage was an intelligent bu dishonest move. He got gay dollars sent his direction and since most Americans had "evolved" he didn't really alienate anyone who wasn't already against him.

Personally, I believe Obama was pro-gay marriage back in 2008 but he was closeted about it then because there were no financial incentives. He "evolved" once there were benefits to it.

If NYS hadn't proved that backing gay marriage was a wise move financially, I doubt Obama would've come out of the closet with his support.

by Anonymousreply 5711/09/2012

oh god r57, you are a bore.

by Anonymousreply 5811/09/2012

[quote][R23] and [R38] fail to mention the two years that the democrats had control of everything and did nothing. Why didn't DADT, speaking out on gay marriage happen in those two years?

Really?

Two years?

Including Saunders and Lieberman (who was an unreliable vote on many issues)...

Jan. 20: 59 votes (Al Franken not seated until July)

May 15: 58 votes (Robert Byrd hospitalized)

After mid-June: 57 votes (Ted Kennedy no longer voted in Senate, died August 25)

July 7: 58 votes (Al Franken sworn in)

July 21: 59 votes (Robert Byrd released from hospitalized)

September 24: 60 votes (Paul G. Kirk sworn in as Ted Kennedy's replacement)

February 4, 2010: 59 votes (Scott Brown sworn in)

During that time, of a possible 94 legislative days during that period, the Senate was only in session for 67 days, while the House only labored for 54, give or take the weekend.

So drop the bullshit. It's tiresome and weakens your overall argument.

by Anonymousreply 5911/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.