Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rachael Maddow's rant from MSNBC last night

Last night, after Obama won, there was a few minutes when Rachel Maddow went off on a brilliant and insightful little rant about how Republicans reject reality when it doesn't match up with what they want to believe... did anyone else see that?

I'd love to find a video clip of it... can someone help me? So far, I haven't found exactly that bit anywhere online, but it was amazing, and I'd really like to share it around.

by Anonymousreply 8411/14/2012

*crickets chirping*

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2012

I saw a little clip she did while standing outside on a street somewhere. Is that what you're referring to?

by Anonymousreply 211/07/2012

I saw it too and it was brilliant. I'm sure it will be available at some point.

I'll go ask at Democratic Underground.

by Anonymousreply 311/07/2012

I saw it, too, OP. Don't have the clip. But she was brilliant, talking about how if they always deny reality, and how that's what they were doing on Election Night what with Mitt refusing to believe the poll projections showing that he'd lost Ohio and Karl Rove trying to get Fox to rescind its call of the election.

by Anonymousreply 411/07/2012

I don't have a clip, but I do know that it was a little repeat of a long segment of one of her regular shows in the past few days. On of the examples she gave was a report by some non-partisen government agency that concluded that raising tax rates would not hurt the economy. Republicans in congress objected to the report and so the report wasn't published. She gave other examples of factual reports that were just rejected by Republicans because they proved or least provided evidence that something the Republicans believe isn't actually true.

by Anonymousreply 511/07/2012

Reality is relative to the observer.

Maybe if those idiots got some learnin, they'd understand.

by Anonymousreply 611/07/2012

No, R2, that's not the one... she was sitting at the "anchor desk" with the panel. It was during the time when Romney was refusing to conceed even after Ohio was called, and it was clear that even without Ohio, Obama was going to win.

I'll take the longer segment too, from her show, if this was just an excerpt from it. But I'd really love the concise 2-minute or so rant... I really want to share that.

Thanks everyone!

by Anonymousreply 711/07/2012

OK, sorry R7.

I liked the little one on the street as well.

Did anyone see that? It was like a little commercial or PSA.

by Anonymousreply 811/07/2012

I found this segment from her show... not quite the same thing, but the last 5 minutes of this 16 minute clip is pretty awesome. Actually, the whole thing is pretty awesome.

If you haven't seen it, it's worth your time:

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2012

R9. Great Rachel Maddow clip. Rachel sure has a way with words and capsulizing the entire Repug failure.

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2012

We are not going to have a supreme court that will overturn Roe vs. Wade

We are not going to repeal health reform

We are not going to kill Medicare, and make old people fight it out on the open market to get health insurance we are not going to do it

We are not going to give a 20% tax cute to millionaires and billionaires and expect programs like food stamps and kid’s health insurance to cover the cost of that tax cut

We are not going to make you clear it with your boss if you want to get birth control under the insurance plan you are on

We are not going to re define rape

We are not going to amend the United States Constitution to stop gay people from getting married

We are not going to double Gitmo

We are not eliminating the Department of Energy or Education or Housing at the federal level

We are not going to spend two trillion dollars on the military that the military does not want

We are not going to be scaling back on student loans because the country’s new plan is that you should borrow money from your parents

We are not vetoing the Dream Act

We are not self-deporting

We are not letting Detroit go bankrupt

We are not starting a trade war with China on inauguration day in January

We are not going to have as President a man who once let a mob of friends to run down a scared gay kid to hold him down and forcibly cut his hair off with a pair of scissors while that kid cried and screamed for help, and there was no apology, not ever

We are not going to have a Secretary of State John Bolton

We are not bringing Dick Cheney back

We are not going to have a foreign policy stocked with architects of the Iraq war

We are not going to do it

We had the choice to do that as a country and we said no last night and we said NO! LOUDLY!

by Anonymousreply 1111/08/2012

Ohio really did go to President Obama last night, and he really did win.

And he really was born in Hawaii, and he really is legitimately President of the United States again, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics did not make up a fake unemployment rate last month.

The Congressional research service really can find no evidence that cutting taxes for rich people grows the economy.

And the Polls were not skewed to over sample Democrats, and Nate Silver was not making up fake projections about the election to make conservatives feel bad. Nate Silver was doing Math.

And Climate change is real, and rape really does cause pregnancy sometimes, and evolution is a thing.

And Benghazi was an attack on us, it was not a scandal by us, and nobody is taking away anyone’s guns, and taxes have not gone up and the deficit is dropping actually, and Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction, and the moon landing was real, and Fema is not building Concentration camps and UN election observers are not taking over Texas, And moderate reforms of the regulations on the insurance industry, and the financial Services in this country are not the same thing as Communism.

Listen last night was good night for Democrats and Liberals for very obvious reasons, but it was also possibly a good night for this country as a whole. (Deep breath) Because in this country we have a two party system in government and the idea is supposed to be that the two sides both come up ways to confront and fix the real problems facing our country.

They both propose possible solutions to our real problems and we debate between those possible solutions and by the process of debate we pick the best idea. That competition of good ideas between both sides about real problems in the real country should result in our country having batter choices better options than if only one side is really working on the hard stuff.

And if the Republican Party and the Conservative Movement and the Conservative media are stuck in a vacuum sealed, door locked spin cycle telling each other what makes them feel good and denying the factual real lived truth of the world than we are all deprived as a nation of the constructive debate between competing feasible ideas about real problems.

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2012

That was really great, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1311/08/2012

Now we need clips of each and every one of those Republican bozos getting called out and being made to respond.

Seriously, if anyone has any such clips, please share.

It would make my day/week/life.

by Anonymousreply 1411/08/2012

She is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 1511/08/2012

Yes, she is. I'm glad she's on our side!

by Anonymousreply 1611/08/2012

I wish she'd run for office.

by Anonymousreply 1711/08/2012

I thought about that, R17, but perhaps she reaches more people this way.

by Anonymousreply 1811/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 1911/08/2012

[italic]This[/italic] is how you rant, Shelly Danker.

by Anonymousreply 2011/08/2012

That's the bummer about live broadcasts. I don't think they'll have the election night stuff up on their website. Maybe youtube?

by Anonymousreply 2111/08/2012

The woman is amazing. She tells the truth. She has found a perfect mix between news, opinion and entertainment. She welcomes everyone on her show and treats everyone with respect but never panders to the popular myth of a false equivalency between views that deal with facts and views that dismiss them. She's funny and has something generally absent from the popular press, humility which in no way overshadows her confidence and unabashed commitment to the truth.

She represents the very best in the U.S..

by Anonymousreply 2211/08/2012

Someone tweeted Maddowblog about it and they sent back this link. It's not the video but the comments are fun. I would LOVE to see the video about this. I was watching that night and I can't believe I missed this rant (Booo hiss.)

by Anonymousreply 2311/08/2012

FOUND IT: Here's the rant on MSNBC

by Anonymousreply 2411/08/2012

After hearing the batshit crazy conservative on another thread, that didn't sound like a rant at all.

Not nearly ranting and raving and frothing at the mouth enough.

by Anonymousreply 2511/08/2012

She's outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 2611/08/2012

r24 see r19

by Anonymousreply 2711/08/2012

(Oops. yeah, sorry about reposting that. I thought it was a different video. )That is a GREAT video. I love her so much.

One moment that stood out for me from the Fox News Meltdown montage is the moment the dark-haired manly newscaster tells the female newscaster he's going [italic]help her down the steps[/italic] so she can go talk to the panel...

Because a woman needs a man to help her take a couple steps and avoid falling over... just that little moment is so telling the whole conservative male/female dynamic. I mean... OMG.

by Anonymousreply 2811/08/2012

Rachel did a much better rant election NIGHT, breaking down every anti-reality practice of the 2012 election by Republicans, making up their own bullshit. If they didn't like one thing, they invented another.

by Anonymousreply 2911/08/2012

Her "Evolution Is a Thing" moment from last night was outstanding as well. Text:

Ohio really did go to the president last night.

And he really did win.

And he really was born in Hawaii.

And he really is -legitimately- President of the United States.

Again.

And the Bureau of Labor Statistics did not make up a fake unemployment rate last month.

And the Congressional Research Service really can find no evidence that cutting taxes on rich people grows the economy.

And the polls were not skewed to over-sample Democrats.

And Nate Silver was not making up fake projections about the election to make conservatives feel bad. He was doing math.

And climate change is real.

And rape really does cause pregnancy sometimes.

And evolution is a thing.

And Benghazi was an attack on us.

It was not a scandal by us.

And no one is taking away anyone's guns.

And taxes haven't gone up.

And the deficit is dropping, actually.

And Saddam Hussein didn't have weapons of mass destruction.

And the moon landing was real.

And FEMA isn't building concentration camps.

And UN election observers aren't taking over Texas.

And moderate reforms of the regulations on the insurance industry

And the financial services industry

Are not the same thing as communism.

by Anonymousreply 3011/08/2012

This should be Auto-Tuned.

by Anonymousreply 3111/08/2012

I just need a pic of her in that pin stripe suit she was wearing that night. It's first well-fitted one I've seen on her in a while.

by Anonymousreply 3211/08/2012

Brilliant. And not actually a "rant."

Just truth.

by Anonymousreply 3311/08/2012

She was very deft at anchoring the campaign coverage on MSNBC. She is always well-informed and presented the information handily while moving back and forth through the various commentators. She is easily the smartest on-air figure at MSNBC (and pretty much all channels).

by Anonymousreply 3411/08/2012

FYI Rachel will be on the Colbert Report tonight.

by Anonymousreply 3511/08/2012

r36 you have never watched Rachel. She's not this shrill host who screamed chicken little. Wingnuts always give themselves up when spout wingnut fact-free statements.

by Anonymousreply 3711/08/2012

I have watched Rachel since 2008, even before that when she was a contributor on Tucker Carlson's show and I know that you're just full of shit. Her presentation is the same as it's always been. In off-election season, she focuses on other news of the day.

Your "I like her" is the equivalent of "I have black friends, so don't call me a racist."

Clam it wingnut.

by Anonymousreply 3911/08/2012

R30, let me introduce you to R11 and R12

by Anonymousreply 4011/08/2012

First of all, on what we won't be doing as a result of this election:

We are not going to have a Supreme Court that will overturn Roe vs Wade We're not going to repeal health reform Nobody is going to kill Medicare We're not going to give a 20% tax cut to millionaires and billionaires and expect programs like foodstamps and kids health insurance to cover the costs We're not going to redefine rape We're not going to make you clear it with your boss to get birth control We're not going to amend the constitution to stop gay people from getting married We're not going to double Guantanamo We're not going to eliminate the Department of Energy or Education or Housing We're not going to spend $2 trillion on the military that the military doesn't want We're not going to scale back on student loans We're not vetoing The Dream Act We're not self-deporting We're not letting Detroit go bankrupt We're not starting a trade war with China We're not going to have as Secretary of State a John Bolton We're not bringing Dick Cheney back We're not going to have a foreign policy shop stocked with architects of the Iraq War >>> And then she ended the segment with a list of facts the Republicans are going to have to grapple with to dispel their delusions. >>> Ohio really did go to the president last night. And he really did win. And he really was born in Hawaii. And he really is -legitimately- President of the United States...Again And the Bureau of Labor Statistics did not make-up a fake unemployment rate last month. And the Congressional Research Service really can find no evidence that cutting taxes on rich people grows the economy. And the polls were not skewed to over-sample Democrats. And Nate Silver was not making up fake projections about the election to make conservatives feel bad...he was doing math. And climate change is real. And rape really does cause pregnancy sometimes. And evolution is a thing. And Benghazi was an attack on us. It was not a scandal by us. And no one is taking away anyone's guns. And taxes haven't gone up. And the deficit is dropping, actually. And Saddam Hussein didn't have weapons of mass destruction. And the moon landing was real. And FEMA isn't building concentration camps. And UN election observers aren't taking over Texas. And moderate reforms of the regulations on the insurance industry and the financial services industry are not the same thing as communism.

by Anonymousreply 4211/08/2012

I think UN observers SHOULD take over Texas . . .

by Anonymousreply 4311/08/2012

Finally watched this. What she said is heartbreaking. It's also changed my outlook as the country in terms of individual people. I'm proud of America and always have been. This week I'm extra proud to be an American.

by Anonymousreply 4411/09/2012

The Republican Party will dismiss her based on being a liberal gay woman. All the Republican Party thinks about is how they can rig the system so it will benefit them and hurt the rest (there's no fun at winning when you can't laugh at the misfortune of the losers).

by Anonymousreply 4511/09/2012

When she said the following, she had such a "look" on her face and she emphasized the "not ever" ending.

"We are not going to have as President a man who once let a mob of friends run down a scared gay kid to hold him down and forcibly cut his hair off with a pair of scissors while that kid cried and screamed for help, and there was no apology, not ever."

by Anonymousreply 4611/09/2012

She [quote]never panders to the popular myth of a false equivalency between views that deal with facts and views that dismiss them.[quote]

Exactly, R22.

by Anonymousreply 4711/09/2012

Can we agree that in crossover appeal to ALL orientations, Rachel Maddow is Datalounge's Fantasy Girlfriend (yes, even beating Jane Lynch and Wanda Sykes) for 2012, and that Nate Silver is Datalounge's Fantasy Boyfriend for 2012?

by Anonymousreply 4811/09/2012

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 4911/09/2012

Agree r48

by Anonymousreply 5011/09/2012

I'm down with that, R48.

by Anonymousreply 5111/09/2012

r45 why do we give a fuck what the Republicans think of Maddow? Have we ever? Has she ever?

They're irrrelevant, more now than ever.

r48. Yes and Yes.

by Anonymousreply 5211/09/2012

Here's the election night footage the moment Obama won.

Can I just add how awesome it was to hear her voice announce the winning state, Ohio, on MSNBC the moment the President won. The out, lesbian, Ph.D pundit got to announce the winner in the moment it happened.

Love it.

by Anonymousreply 5311/09/2012

thanks for that r53, i was watching it live but it's nice to relive it for the reasons you mentioned and more.

by Anonymousreply 5411/09/2012

Looking at the clusterfuck in Florida, the eight hour lines, the jammed scanners, the understaffed polling places, the fact that we didn't get a final call on the state until LAST NIGHT - anyone who thinks that Rachel Maddow was Chicken Little on voter suppression being an issue is akin to a Romney-internal-polls-believing dumbass.

Ohio also had some clusterfuckery going on but they managed to overcome it.

Had people not gone to court in the last few months and gotten other voter suppression tactics overturned, blocked, etc., it would have been worse in more states.

by Anonymousreply 5511/09/2012

I have a feeling the people who should really be hearing this have their fingers in their ears while reciting "Mary had a little lamb" at the top of their lungs.

by Anonymousreply 5611/09/2012

WOW I watched the video at R53 and it brought tears to my eyes, again.

by Anonymousreply 5711/09/2012

[quote]Can we agree that in crossover appeal to ALL orientations, Rachel Maddow is Datalounge's Fantasy Girlfriend (yes, even beating Jane Lynch and Wanda Sykes) for 2012, and that Nate Silver is Datalounge's Fantasy Boyfriend for 2012?

I'll drink to that!

by Anonymousreply 5811/09/2012

I'd like to see her in an executive position where she's actually MAKING (implementing) policy, rather than talking about it.

J o P

by Anonymousreply 5911/09/2012

This 16 minutes (discussed and transcribed above)is well-worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 6011/09/2012

I still have all the election night MSNBC and Faux coverage on my DVR.

I just can't let it go. So far, I've only seen clips of the Faux coverage. In theory, I'm going to watch it this weekend. I want to watch Rove and the rest of them unravel - the whole arc of it.

by Anonymousreply 6111/09/2012

She's the single best reporter/news personality on television right now. No one even comes close.

by Anonymousreply 6211/09/2012

I'll bet she'd take one of the wonky cabinet positions like Secretary of Commerce or Interior (she LOVES infrastructure!)

by Anonymousreply 6311/09/2012

She is the best anchor on television right now. So can she make the transition to the networks? Would they accept her, would America accept her, as a nightly network news anchor?

(This isn't questioning her ability to do the job - she's smoke them all - it's whether they'd LET her do the job.)

by Anonymousreply 6411/09/2012

Good god, I would hope not r63. She's good at espousing her own pov.

by Anonymousreply 6511/09/2012

Didn't she work on prison reform earlier in her career?

by Anonymousreply 6611/09/2012

r66, While earning her Ph.D. she wrote a thesis on AIDS in prison, I believe

by Anonymousreply 6711/09/2012

Cunty Cincinnati Fox reporter calls Rachel an "angry young man" on Facebook:

by Anonymousreply 6811/09/2012

[quote]I'll bet she'd take one of the wonky cabinet positions like Secretary of Commerce or Interior (she LOVES infrastructure!)

She's already stated flat out that she has no interest in running for any office.

by Anonymousreply 6911/09/2012

i respect her, and her book 'Drift' was informative, urgent, factual, intelligent, well-argued, insightful and much needed.

But I have a heard time watching her, because she comes across as too damn smug. And i say that while agreeing with pretty much everything she says.

by Anonymousreply 7011/09/2012

Wow someone called Rachel Maddow a man.

Bet she hasn't heard that one before.

by Anonymousreply 7111/10/2012

I love her Friday Night Drinkie Poo segments!

by Anonymousreply 7211/10/2012

R60, see R24 and then R19

by Anonymousreply 7311/10/2012

f

by Anonymousreply 7411/10/2012

This Friday's was especially good, r72!

by Anonymousreply 7511/10/2012

I love Maddow, but was really disappointed with Friday's segment about the Supremes hearing the repeal of the voter protection act. The case will likely be won, and instead if examining why, which is really interesting, she and her guest (the lawyer who successfully defended it last time) discussed ways of addressing the many problems with voting regulations.

It made me feel a bit like a Fox viewer in that I was not given any if tts facts or issues with this very serious matter.

by Anonymousreply 7611/10/2012

well boo

by Anonymousreply 7711/11/2012

I too would like to hear what Diana Ross thinks of the voter protection act. Shame on Rachel for not talking about it.

by Anonymousreply 7811/11/2012

Rachel Maddow: Shallow calling unto shallow.

You guys are superb at comedy but you can't think critically for shit.

by Anonymousreply 7911/11/2012

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

what a refreshing parody post, r79! thanks for the belly laugh. :>

by Anonymousreply 8011/11/2012

p

by Anonymousreply 8111/11/2012

Because it deserves to be said again, here it is.... an edited excerpt from the rant on her show, quick and to the point... please share on Facebook:

by Anonymousreply 8211/11/2012

MSNBC is now using the rant in a promotional ad. I have trouble believing this wasn't planned out in advance, but either way it was and is a powerful message.

by Anonymousreply 8311/14/2012

[quote]Didn't she work on prison reform earlier in her career?

She specifically worked to get better treatment for prisoners with HIV/AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 8411/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.