Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Diane Sawyer ***DRUNK*** On-Air Last Night On ABC!

Gawker has the evidence on its site. Link below

by Anonymousreply 6204/30/2013

*crickets chirping*

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2012

Didn't Dorothy Kilgallen appear drunk on her last What's My Line? And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 211/07/2012

George looks alternately afraid and worried. Jake Tapper looks puzzled and pretty boy David Muir looks very unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 311/07/2012

Yeah she does seem a bit of the rail- not letting her co-anchor get a word in- at least the clip makes it look like that.

by Anonymousreply 411/07/2012

I think election coverage would be infinitely more interesting if everyone was drunk. I know as a celebratory viewer, I certainly was!

by Anonymousreply 511/07/2012

Every election year, I buy a case of wine and chocolates after I vote. Looks like Diane has a similar tradition.

by Anonymousreply 611/07/2012

Don't people remember when she was accused of being drunk on air before? It was another situation where she had to stay up late, all night in that case, but I can't remember the event. And that was her excuse, not drunk, punch drunk. She is pretty old, speaking as someone middle-aged myself you don't have nearly the energy you did in your prime. It is possible she just can't stay up much past her bedtime without starting to slur her words and get disoriented.

by Anonymousreply 711/07/2012

I think r7 has a point.

I get that way late at night and I'm not old.

by Anonymousreply 811/07/2012

I was listening to Frank DeCaro this AM. Doria and fill-in host Dennis Hensley were discussing Diane and her bizarre behavior. A caller came on to say she had a relative who worked at ABC News in NYC. The relative said Diane had stayed at the ABC studios all week sleeping in her office when she could. She was preparing and rehearsing and got very little sleep. The lack of sleep caught up with her during the broadcast last night. Apparently, Diane is mortified this AM about what happened, but what can she do? Apologize? Perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 911/07/2012

R7, I am pretty sure that was the 2008 election.

by Anonymousreply 1011/07/2012

Hate her politics, but she looks like a fun drunk

by Anonymousreply 1111/07/2012

"I lurve preshision shoshial media!"

by Anonymousreply 1211/07/2012

When you're tired, you might act sluggish, but you don't act lit. She's wasted.

by Anonymousreply 1311/07/2012

Between hurricane coverage and the election, it must be hard for the old dear to stay awake.

by Anonymousreply 1411/07/2012

We discussed this last night:

by Anonymousreply 1511/07/2012

Amateur!

by Anonymousreply 1611/07/2012

She's the hottest damn 66 year old on TV. I wish I had her money. I'd go to her plastic surgeon, her dermatologist and her hairstylist.

by Anonymousreply 1711/07/2012

R17 = Diane Keaton

by Anonymousreply 1811/07/2012

She didn't appear tired. She appeared drunk.

And they wonder why an ever-growing segment of the public no longer trusts the Mainstream media.

by Anonymousreply 1911/07/2012

other media outlets are reporting about her too. She needs to go on a vacation. She's probably on pills.

by Anonymousreply 2011/07/2012

R13 and R19, you've never heard of "punch drunk", you've never been "punch drunk"? People certainly do act drunk sometimes from sleep deprivation, you act silly and weird because you're spaced-out and disoriented, very similar to being drunk.

by Anonymousreply 2111/07/2012

I'm tired of so many OLD reporters and news anchors. I don't mind some OLDIES but we need more of a mix, and all should be white either. Bring in more blacks, asians and latinos! Time for a major sweeping of news channels in this country.

and yes Diane was loony last night, drunk or not.

by Anonymousreply 2211/07/2012

I have heard of punch drunk. I have also heard of just plain drunk or fucked up on pills, R21. I am a bartender. I know what it looks like when someone is visibly intoxicated. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I still say she looks more "lit up" and chemically animated than over-tired.

by Anonymousreply 2311/07/2012

Maybe there's a simple explanation like dental work or cold medicine? Combined with relief that the storm and the election season are over on the same day?

by Anonymousreply 2411/07/2012

I don't ever see Diane but always thought her on air personality was odd and awkward. I did not pick up on anything peculiar but like I said I don't watch her.

by Anonymousreply 2511/07/2012

Jessica Savitch [italic] OWNS [/italic]this thread!!

by Anonymousreply 2611/07/2012

Looking at the vote tally behind them at the start of the video, it seems like it was relatively early in the night, so the excuse that she had been up all night and tired really doesn't seem to hold water for me. That being said, she seems like a fun drunk.

by Anonymousreply 2711/07/2012

LOL, George has never looked cuter. Horrified, but cute!

by Anonymousreply 2811/07/2012

Well they don't call it punch *drunk* because of it's dissimilarity to appearing drunk. People can believe what they want, but I think people want to think she's drunk because it makes far better gossip.

by Anonymousreply 2911/07/2012

I thought she looked fabuloush! I shaw nothing wrong with Missh Shawyer's broadcasht lasht night.

by Anonymousreply 3011/07/2012

LOVED George in that clip...SQUIRMING!!

by Anonymousreply 3111/07/2012

Please, please, Mary Louise. She was "exhausted" the way Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan get "exhausted."

I'm surprised ABC didn't blame it on "an unexpected allergic reaction to a prescribed medication."

by Anonymousreply 3311/07/2012

she is on PILLS! These reporters take them to sleep etc coz they travel all over the globe to report in different time zones and they take pills to help them sleep etc, at least that's how it starts out anyways...

by Anonymousreply 3411/07/2012

Live reporting is WHACK!

by Anonymousreply 3511/07/2012

Network news doesn't go for [italic]boooooze[/italic] and [italic]dope.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 3611/07/2012

That was some serious shade she threw at Nicolle Wallace.

by Anonymousreply 3711/07/2012

more footage of her here, link from gothamist dot com. she needs rehab lol.

by Anonymousreply 3811/07/2012

the above link has her drinking a glass of red wine and popping pills on set before a show, she looks much younger, at least by a decade or two.

by Anonymousreply 3911/07/2012

[quote]I think people want to think she's drunk because it makes far better gossip.

I think you need to believe that she's over-tired because you can't accept that obvious evidence that she was under the influence of alcohol or drugs or both.

I am amazed that they didn't take her out from behind that desk during a break. Whatever the reason for it, her performance was alarmingly undignified and unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 4011/07/2012

This is the first time Diane was the lead anchor for election coverage.

In the past she co-hosted with Peter Jennings, then Charles Gibson.

Maybe 5 hours of non-stop anchoring just got to her.

by Anonymousreply 4111/07/2012

This is what she gets for messing with Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 4211/07/2012

The way she was gripping that desk you would think she was riding the Cyclone.

by Anonymousreply 4311/07/2012

[quote]Maybe 5 hours of non-stop anchoring just got to her.

The vote tally behind her shows that maybe she was only an hour, two tops, into the broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 4411/07/2012

How did she mess with Whitney Houston?

by Anonymousreply 4511/07/2012

She is obviously not up to the task of being anchor for presidential elections.

And obviously not up to the task of anchoring on the main desk for incredibly long hours of election coverage.

On top of that, she seems to have taken a pill or two. Or had a glass of wine or two. More likely a pill or two.

She's been somewhat of an embarassment for a while during the nightly news because of the odd comments she feels compelled to make during the news broadcast, and the odd squeeking voice during those comments.

by Anonymousreply 4611/07/2012

[quote]Maybe 5 hours of non-stop anchoring just got to her.

More likely she was bobbing and drifting without an anchor on a sea of Chardonnay.

by Anonymousreply 4711/07/2012

Ol' girl was live on The View with Barbara Walters in the morning too, so if she didn't take any time to nap during the day, I can buy that she was running on fumes during the broadcast.

I watch much of the ABC election broadcast and I often catch ABC World News Tonight. Sawyer's on camera behavior and speech didn't seem much different than it does on any given weeknight.

Not saying she wasn't medicated last night, I'm just saying it didn't strike me as unusual demeanor.

by Anonymousreply 4811/07/2012

It is possible she was nervous as this was her first election anchor gig. So she took something to calm her down, but I guess it backfired.

by Anonymousreply 4911/07/2012

Think she'll be anchoring World News tonight?

I bet she makes a statement if she does. She'll want to "set the record straight."

But if she and ABC is smart she will NOT SAY A WORD about being plastered or sedated last evening.

by Anonymousreply 5011/07/2012

She's s drunk whore. Throw the bitch a party.

by Anonymousreply 5111/07/2012

[quote]But if she and ABC is smart she will NOT SAY A WORD about being plastered or sedated last evening.

Deny, deny, deny.

That's how you build the viewers' trust.

by Anonymousreply 5211/07/2012

John King came thru his mini-debacle several months ago when he was called to broadcast at the spur of the moment and turned up slurring his speech and being a bit slow.

It appeared he had taken an ambien and then had to go on the air unexpectedly, or had had a drink.

I think Diane's debacle is much worse.

by Anonymousreply 5311/07/2012

Does anybody know the name of the cutie sitting 2 seats next to Gary Langer among the panelists last night at ABC (the election coverage with Diane and George)? He was late 20ish or early 30s, pale, dark auburn-ish brown-haired... there was a girl sitting between this cutie and Gary Langer. Please help!

by Anonymousreply 5411/07/2012

R48, something is very wrong with you, if you watched the OP's posted video and do not see anything wrong with the way Diane Sawyer is speaking and conducting herself at the election anchor desk on election night.

R48, you have a bizarre level of lack of awareness and judgment.

by Anonymousreply 5511/07/2012

Don't know or care if drunk but she is annoying me in general these days. Did she always have that faux girlish thing that she is way WAY too old for? I have to reach for the remote when I hear her voice with that disingenuous chirp. Maybe she's trying out for Katie's talk show gig.

by Anonymousreply 5611/07/2012

You read me wrong r55. I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with her speech. It is bothersome.

I'm saying that last night she didn't come across as strikingly different from Diane Sawyer on any night of the week.

She often has a little mush-mouth and behaves like she's in a blissful, dream-like state.

by Anonymousreply 5711/07/2012

Her behavior on the election anchor desk last night was not just 'bothersome', R57.

It was a huge embarassment for her colleagues and for the ABC network and completely inexcusable.

Mr. Tapper and David looked mortified, as did George S.

by Anonymousreply 5811/07/2012

agree R58, she asked reporters at the obama camp about exclamation marks! LOL! and the videos over at gothamist are classic! bet she'll be asked to go on a "vacation" soon!!

by Anonymousreply 5911/07/2012

funny

especially the part when Randy sends regards to Mitt's lovely wife, Paul

by Anonymousreply 6011/08/2012

An epic disaster. The spin is nonsense.

She clearly has a substance-abuse problem and needs help. A 66-year-old news anchor with 40 years of experience is no stranger to sleeplessness, anti-anxiety meds and the amount of stamina election night requires.

IMO she drank too much or popped too many pills because she probably has a huge tolerance. She needs a quiet trip to Betty Ford (whose namesake she probably downed plenty of martoonis with back in the day).

by Anonymousreply 6111/08/2012

She be flawless.

by Anonymousreply 6204/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.