Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How Many States Legalized Gay Marriage Last Night?

Wasn't it three? Maryland? Washington State? Another one?

by Anonymousreply 3311/08/2012

Maine

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2012

And Minnesota refused to ban it. The tide has turned.

by Anonymousreply 211/07/2012

Yeah, Minnesota was different from the others.

Basically, the pro-gay side won in all four contests, but in Minnesota it was only a rejection of a ban on same-sex marriage, not a legalization of same-sex marriage.

Same-sex marriage will be legal in Maine, Washington, and Maryland now. I don't know when the first date that same-sex couples can get married is though. I'm not sure it's effective "immediately" in those states or not.

The tide has turned.

by Anonymousreply 311/07/2012

We did it too!

by Anonymousreply 411/07/2012

Congratulations to family in those states! Baby steps, but we're getting there.

by Anonymousreply 511/07/2012

Now the right wing punditry has to bury the ideas that gay marriage only happened due to 'activist judges' and whenever 'the people' speak on the issue they say No. Because they just said Yes. Another nail in the coffin.

by Anonymousreply 611/07/2012

There are now 9 states, plus the district of columbia, that have marriage equality on the books:

Massachucetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Iowa, New Hampshire, New York, Maine, Maryland, and Washington.

And California, which was on that list briefly, will be added to BACK that list very soon, I imagine, as Prop 8 is struck down as unconstitutional.

That'll be 20% of all states, and more than 20% of the US population living under Marriage Equality.

by Anonymousreply 711/07/2012

Washington is still considered too close to call, with more than one million ballots left to count (Washington is a vote-by-mail state). Same-sex marriage is leading by 52-48 but many of those ballots will be coming in from the rural areas that rejected that ballot measure. I'm cautiously optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 811/07/2012

[quote]And California, which was on that list briefly, will be added to BACK that list very soon, I imagine, as Prop 8 is struck down as unconstitutional.

On Nov 20th, the Supremes are set to announce whether they will hear the Prop 8 case.

In my opinion, and in light of these election results, the court will decline to hear the case, leaving Judge Walker's decision standing in the 9th circuit.

by Anonymousreply 911/07/2012

I think the next 6 to follow in order will be California, New Jersey, Minnesota, Oregon, Hawaii and Illinois.

As for the "last" 6: I think Utah, Texas, Idaho, Oklahoma, Kentucky and Alaska will only be forced into it under federal constitutional law.

by Anonymousreply 1011/07/2012

Local media called it last night, Paul.

by Anonymousreply 1111/07/2012

An Iowa judge who was targeted because of his vote for same-sex marriage also got to keep his seat.

It really was a HUGE night for gay rights. The advocate does a good job highliting it.

by Anonymousreply 1211/07/2012

I somehow think Texas will do it before the likes of Tennessee or West Virginia or South Carolina...

by Anonymousreply 1311/07/2012

Anti-gay bigot Janice Daniels was recalled as mayor of Troy, MI:

by Anonymousreply 1411/07/2012

[quote]Local media called it last night, Paul.

Can you be more specific, R11? Komo News didn't, King 5 News didn't, the Seattle Times didn't, the local NPR station didn't. All of them are saying what I said, that voters are "narrowly approving" the referendum, not that it's considered settled.

Trust me, I really want you to be right, but I don't want to count on this and then have my hopes dashed. Regardless of whether it passes this time, it will be back and it will pass.

by Anonymousreply 1511/07/2012

Majority of ballots that need to be count in Washington State are from King County not rural areas.

by Anonymousreply 1611/07/2012

The holdup was King County, which still had tons of ballots to count. Still, with 65 percent of King County voters approving R-74 in the initial count, and that trend likely to continue through the full count, seasoned political watchers were predicting victory. "Fifty-two percent, with King County what it is—it's still time to call Washington State for marriage equality," said Governor Chris Gregoire.

Similarly, Matt Barreto, who runs the Washington Poll, projected that R-74 would be approved and added that he expected Jay Inslee to be the next governor. "King County delivered both," Barreto said.

by Anonymousreply 1711/07/2012

With Obama in office another 4 years, this issue will go to the Supreme Court where hopefully, it will be decided on a federal level. But 3 cheers for the Progressives willing to stand up on our behalf for FULL equality. In our lifetimes, we WILL see this happen (even if it takes the "red belt" another 20 years to catch up)

by Anonymousreply 1811/07/2012

I actually think the prop 8 case will be declined to be reviewed, legalizing gay marriage in CA but not making a statement about it nationally.

DOMA will be reviewed and will be struck down (Kennedy has a liberterian philosophy and will hate that Federal government overreach). So we will be at a place where gay marriage remains a state issue for a while. But at least gay marriages will be recognized by the federal government.

I still predict it will be a long while before gay marriage is legal in all 50 states unfortunately. The tide has definitely turned though.

by Anonymousreply 1911/07/2012

Tammy Baldwin, first openly gay person elected to the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 2011/07/2012

Any reaction from NOM? I wonder what on earth they're telling donors...

Voters were deceived? The new anti-American liberal Sodom is.. Maine? What? They know this is the beginning of the end for them.

by Anonymousreply 2111/07/2012

ITA with your prediction, r19.

But I've often wondered... Under that scenario, if a married gay couple in Mass moves to Rhode Island or some other inequality state, would they still be considered married by the federal government? Would they 'unmarry' every time they moved back and forth across the border?

by Anonymousreply 2211/07/2012

[quote]Majority of ballots that need to be count in Washington State are from King County not rural areas.

I'm not sure that's correct. What I'm seeing is 500,000 from King County and 800,000 from the rest of the state. I still remain cautiously optimistic, though.

by Anonymousreply 2311/07/2012

I encourage everyone to click through all information in R12's Advocate link.

Getting beyond the big national races and marriage equality votes, there's some real interesting stuff - first black lesbian elected to Georgia legislature, first openly gay man elected to North Dakota legislature, as just a few examples.

by Anonymousreply 2411/07/2012

Doesn't the little island of inequality in New England (Rhode Island) actually recognize gay marriages performed elsewhere, but does not perform any on their own?

by Anonymousreply 2511/07/2012

And what is the status with Delaware?

by Anonymousreply 2611/07/2012

Updated numbers for Washington will be out later this afternoon (most counties will do an update between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. PST). There are an estimated 618,300 ballots left to process, 297,060 of which came from counties where same-sex marriage is winning (163,000 from King County, where it is winning 65-35). I remain cautiously optimistic.

Click on the link below to see how many ballots remain to be processed, then click on the "Measures" tab in the menu bar to see how the same-sex initiative is doing and which counties voted for or against.

by Anonymousreply 2711/07/2012

[quote]That'll be 20% of all states, and more than 20% of the US population living under Marriage Equality.

28% of the population.

by Anonymousreply 2811/07/2012

Obama has stated that repealing DOMA will be a priority in a second term.

by Anonymousreply 2911/07/2012

[quote]And Minnesota refused to ban it. The tide has turned.

I'm Marcus Bachmann, and I (secretly) approve this message.

by Anonymousreply 3011/07/2012

[quote]I am concerned about the break-down of the legal system and the boundaries regarding Marriage. Without that One Man One Woman definition, there will be legal pandemonium. It is happening in Canada now. It's nothing personal against Gays/Lesbians at all.

Any Canadians care to explain this pandemonium?

by Anonymousreply 3111/07/2012

I can't even begin to imagine what this concerned poster is talking about. Unless he means the mess that will result from some states refusing to recognize legal marriages from other states. The courts will sort that out fairly quickly. The Constitution is absolutely clear that they must recognize the marriages.

by Anonymousreply 3211/07/2012

STILL waiting for Washington to become official, but I'm pretty confident it will pass there.

by Anonymousreply 3311/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.