Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How often have you surprised yourself with what you actually CAN DO?

Every now and then I find myself doubting myself so thoroughly until suddenly I realize how I'm the only one completely psyching myself out.

I remember back when I was applying to college, I thought there was no way in hell I would get it and could afford it. I was absolutely convinced that education was not my lot in life. My Mother- who NEVER encouraged me outwardly— told me, "Yes, yes, you can do this." I did. Today I have an advanced degree and I've paid my loans off. I'll never regret it.

Last summer my partner and I decided to put in hardwood floors. Neither of us had any experience. We did some research, watched a lot of videos, read a lot of articles and DYI magazines, asked some friends who knew what to do --- and we did it. We still can't believe how good it looks and we did it ourselves.

What are your lightbulb moments of self-empowerment?

by Anonymousreply 1911/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 111/06/2012

[quote] How often have you surprised yourself with what you actually CAN DO?

Drinking wise, I surprise myself often.

by Anonymousreply 211/06/2012

I like you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 311/06/2012

OP you sound adorable.

by Anonymousreply 411/06/2012

Years ago my partner had advanced cancer. We were young, and I had never dealt with illness at all, really not dealt with much. I was scared to death that I wouldn't be able to handle it. I found surprising strength and met the challenges of caring for him for five years, with little help. He died. There has been very little fear on my part since then about what I can do.

by Anonymousreply 511/06/2012

R5 ((((hugs)))

And here I was, so proud of myself that I lost 20 lbs and am now able to do 40 pushups :/

by Anonymousreply 611/06/2012

R6 you should be proud.

Didn't mean to come off like a plaster saint, but that time in my life was formative. The rest of my life has been pretty easy to handle.

by Anonymousreply 711/06/2012

R7, thanks.

And I get what you mean. Two of my brothers have died under terrible circumstances, and when you go through shit like that, and what you have gone through, it seems like everything else is a cakewalk.

(and when people bitch about tiny little inconveniences, I want to slap them)

by Anonymousreply 811/06/2012

I have bipolar, have just got through a year of bullshit at work, culminating in a particularly poisonous and twisted character leaving before his hearing for dismissal due to bullying.

I'm still there and well respected and progressing in my field. I have got through all the bullshit and worked my ass off which is now paying off.

by Anonymousreply 911/06/2012

Op you're cute.

For me it's bodybuilding. Was a scrawny little guy until my late 20's. Always admired and yearned to be like those muscle heads I saw from time to time, but had never stepped foot inside a gym.

Then.... I got over it.

Hired a trainer, changed my diet and eighty pounds later, I feel and look great. I know it's shallow, but it changed my life and I sometimes can't believe I did it.

by Anonymousreply 1011/06/2012

Scrawny guys are cute, R10. Such a shame.

by Anonymousreply 1111/06/2012

Way to make a guy feel better about himself, R11. Do you know the definition of rug-pulling?

by Anonymousreply 1211/06/2012

Haha, thank you r12. I respect what r11 is attracted to. It's just not what I wanted to be.

by Anonymousreply 1311/06/2012

hardwood floors OP or laminate?

by Anonymousreply 1411/06/2012

I'm surprised I'm maintaining a great GPA while pursuing a graduate degree at a reputable school.

I'm surprised people consider me a great public speaker even though I'm shy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 1511/06/2012

I have stopped smoking.

And it has been easier than I was led to believe.

Green tea helps

by Anonymousreply 1611/06/2012

I ran a marathon. Granted, my time was horrible but there were many times I wanted to quit but I kept going & finished. I've gained some weight since then & I still can't believe that chunky me ran a marathon.

by Anonymousreply 1711/06/2012

Congratulations r10. My partner had issues with going to the gym too. Now we're regulars!

r14, Hardwood.

by Anonymousreply 1811/07/2012

[quote]when people bitch about tiny little inconveniences, I want to slap them

After working in some Third World nations, I had a difficult time adjusting to life at home because inconveniences no longer bothered me. It bothered others that I didn't care. I think they wanted to slap me for not paying close attention to matters.

After being among people who lived in huts made of grass or palm fronds, with no electric power, no doors in door openings and nothing in window openings, I no longer was bothered if the power went off for a few hours, the refrigerator broke, the TV cable was messed up, the car needed brake pads, etc., etc. When things go wrong in a household, others in the household expect you to be equally upset.

Moving into a job that would send me to rural places in Africa and South America was a bit daunting and I wondered if I could carry it off. It was a shock to experience the poverty but it was so damn satisfying to know you could help.

by Anonymousreply 1911/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!