Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hundreds of Pinellas voters get robocall from supervisor of elections saying Election Day is Wednesday

ST. PETERSBURG (FL) — An hour after polls opened Tuesday morning, the Pinellas County Supervisor of Elections Office mistakenly placed hundreds — possibly thousands — of automatic calls to voters instructing them that they had until 7 p.m. Wednesday to vote.

But that is wrong. Polls close at 7 p.m. Tuesday. Any ballots turned in after that time won't be accepted.

The calls went out between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. because of a glitch with the SOE's phone system. Calls were made Monday alerting voters who had requested mail ballots but had not returned them that they had until 7 p.m. "tomorrow" to get them turned in.

About 12,000 calls, however, didn't get through, said SOE spokeswoman Nancy Whitlock. They were stored in a queue and recycled Tuesday morning. The "tomorrow" in the message meant for Monday was incorrect when it was delivered.

"About 30 minutes the calls were going out," Whitlock said. "We stopped it immediately when we found out about it."

Charlie and Carole Crist were campaigning for President Barack Obama in Tampa on Tuesday morning, when Mrs. Crist's cell phone showed a call from Pinellas County, the robocall saying polls would open "tomorrow."

"Unbelievable," said the former governor.

It wasn't easy alerting elections officials of the erroneous messages, said another voter who got the call.

Kathie Spitzer, a 55-year-old St. Petersburg resident who works from home, said she got the recorded message at 8:07 a.m.

It was a recording of a woman's voice. She identified herself as an employee with the Pinellas County Supervisor of Elections office, Spitzer said, and she had something to tell voters.

Election Day would be "tomorrow," heard as Wednesday.

"She said that they would take ballots through 7 p.m. tomorrow," Spitzer said. "I couldn't believe it. It was very upsetting."

Spitzer said she called the phone number that came up on her caller ID. It led her directly to the supervisor of elections office. When she told the woman who picked up the phone about the call, she was told it was impossible, there was no way such a call was made. She was directed to another woman, who also told it that it was impossible and no such messages were sent out.

"They were very uncooperative," Spitzer said.

Whitlock said she doesn't know how many of the 12,000 calls went out in 30 minutes. She said it wasn't anywhere close to the total number of calls stored in the queue.

Whitlock said a second message was quickly sent out informing those who received the incorrect messages that today is Election Day and the final day to accept ballots.

"We encourage anyone with a mall ballot return it by 7 p.m. today and disregard the call this morning," Whitlock said for those who left after the second call was made.

by Anonymousreply 011/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!