Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I just made soup with an old Cock (Poultry guys)

I usually use chicken bones and it makes a nice broth, but dudes this is some serious stock.

I got one of those old brown male chickens and simmered with herbs and onion for hours. The taste is awesome and when I chilled the stock it set like jello.

Chicken soup is the nectar of the gods on a cold day.

by Anonymousreply 1211/06/2012

There's a lot of good in an old cock.

by Anonymousreply 111/06/2012

you need to boil it for-evah! but old chickens and roosters do make the best stocks.

by Anonymousreply 211/06/2012

I didn't boil I simmered, but the meat became meltingly tender and more flavorful than any chicken.

by Anonymousreply 311/06/2012

I buy mine.

by Anonymousreply 411/06/2012

Where did you get it? I remember an article by Jeffrey Steigarten about making authentic coq au vin; he had a Hell of a time tracking down an old rooster to buy for it. Of course this was in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 511/06/2012

In NYC at the Pioneer Market on 129th and Lenox. They typically carry both cock and old soup hen.

by Anonymousreply 611/06/2012

I used to get it at Jeffrey's Meat Market on Essex street but since he has closed this is the first time I have found one.

BTW does anyone know if Jeffrey managed to surface somewhere else?

by Anonymousreply 711/06/2012

[quote]you need to boil it for-evah!

Don't boil stocks. Just simmer them for hours. If the stock boils, you'll end up with a cloudy broth.

by Anonymousreply 811/06/2012

Thanks, OP. And Jeffrey's closed!? I used to go to him for game meat when I lived near the Essex market. He was (is?) great.

by Anonymousreply 911/06/2012

Was it an uncut cock?

by Anonymousreply 1011/06/2012

Jeffrey's closed in 2011. It was an issue over an 8,000 rent increase.

I have been trying to track him down as he was the best butcher bar none.

I also learned that Harlem Shambles on 116 and Frederick Douglas will order any meat you want, including an old cock.

by Anonymousreply 1111/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.