Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did you vote yet?

How were the crowds?

Just voted in Greenwich Village. Big crowd at 6:30 AM. They finally got rid of the old mechanical voting machines. I miss them.

by Anonymousreply 12611/06/2012

weeks ago

by Anonymousreply 111/06/2012

Just got back from voting in Ohio (Cleveland area). Good turnout and lots of young people.

by Anonymousreply 211/06/2012

Just voted in Washington Heights. The people working the polls are all one thousand years old. I thought lifting the pages to look up my name was going to snap gramma's bird-thin wrists.

by Anonymousreply 311/06/2012

Hey R2 - I also am in the metro Cleveland area (Lake County) and lines were the longest I have even seen BEFORE the polls even opened at 6:30. There was a mix of old and young people there, and it's great to see people taking such an interest in the election.

FYI - I voted OBAMA.

by Anonymousreply 511/06/2012

Good sign that the youngsters are turning out!

by Anonymousreply 611/06/2012

Well, I WISH we could early vote in NYC...a lot of the people disenfranchised by Sandy would have voted, and I could have gone to a battleground state today.

by Anonymousreply 711/06/2012

I'm in line to vote right now (Arlington, VA (Clarendon)). The line is craaaaazy and full of young people. I live in a reliably Democratic district, so I figured lines would be significantly shorter. Our precinct uses automation and it doesn't seem to be helping much.

My wait so far: 1 hr and 2 min. I probably have up to an hr left!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 811/06/2012

Thanks for your dedication, R8!

by Anonymousreply 911/06/2012

We did, by mail, back in mid-October. Who waits in lines these days? Why?

by Anonymousreply 1011/06/2012

Reading the tea leaves, I feel like I'm surrounded by Obama voters. A lot of the people waiting have sample ballots from the Democratic Party...and like I said, the average age range seems to be 20 - 35.

Only 2 things concern me...people are leaving before voting because they have to get to work (I'm a fed so I get time). Also, I've counted a whole 3 black people of the hundreds waiting. Obama needs his most supportive demographic to win this, but Virginia was one of those states that had been trying to impose voter ID laws.

by Anonymousreply 1111/06/2012

In LA, the black people are very disappointed in Obama, so there is a big get out the vote push down there right now.

We'll see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 1211/06/2012

I live near Columbia. LOTS of students lined up at 6:30 a.m. here in NY.

by Anonymousreply 1311/06/2012

Voted first thing this morning and I was the 9th person in line. It was getting very crowded; mixed crowd.

by Anonymousreply 1411/06/2012

I'm kind of lucky. I live near enough to my polling place (Rochester, NY) that I can see how long the line is by just glancing out the window.

I saw there was no line at all, so I ran over right away. In fact, I was the only person in the polling place, although several came in as I was filling out my ballot.

As of right now, a line is beginning to form. A few people are outside in line, which would mean, I guess, about 20 in line over all. (But, OK, even as I was typing this, the short line has moved along, and there are no more people outside!)

Almost everyone I've seen was young, but that would be expected in this district.

by Anonymousreply 1511/06/2012

Voted this morning in Hell's Kitchen, NYC, 2nd person in my district. They're using scanners now. I feel so sorry for the poll workers. They get little prep time, most of them are elderly and the crowds are not friendly. The ledger they're given with the voter's names is written in the finest print available so it takes them forever to find a name. I only waited about 15 minutes but there was a line forming when I left.

by Anonymousreply 1611/06/2012

[quote] I feel so sorry for the poll workers. They get little prep time, most of them are elderly and the crowds are not friendly. The ledger they're given with the voter's names is written in the finest print available so it takes them forever to find a name.

this is why Election Day should be a national holiday. If it were they wouldn't have to rely on the only folks who have the free time to work the polls.

by Anonymousreply 1711/06/2012

I love them but the people handling the elections in NYC are 100 years old. They need to give some younger workers the gig when they retire (or die).

It's a plum job because I was a Dem poll watcher about 15 years ago and made $200 for a days work.

by Anonymousreply 1811/06/2012

Voted at 7:00am in Somerville, MA and lines were out the door that early. Also passed another polling place and the lines were long there, too.

[quote]We did, by mail, back in mid-October. Who waits in lines these days? Why?

Because some states like Massachusetts do not have early voting.

by Anonymousreply 1911/06/2012

I'm worried about voting in New York and in New Jersey, is everything really ready for voting?

by Anonymousreply 2011/06/2012

I'll vote in midafternoon, it's usually not crowded...it's raining hard right now.

by Anonymousreply 2111/06/2012

In NY you can vote anywhere if you are in a district that was knocked out.

by Anonymousreply 2211/06/2012

not sure what to wear? I have a nice Valentino or a Chanel suit??

by Anonymousreply 2311/06/2012

I went to vote at 7 AM in Houston. It only took about 15 minutes. A lot more black people were voting at my precinct than in other elections.

by Anonymousreply 2411/06/2012

Voted in K.C., MO. The lines were an hour long this morning.

Go CLAIRE!!!!

GOBAMA!

by Anonymousreply 2611/06/2012

Lines are definitely shorter than they were four years ago. I'd like to think that's because we have a lot of disillusioned Republicans who don't want to vote for Akin or Romney.

by Anonymousreply 2711/06/2012

Partner and I voted at 7:30 this morning in Birmingham. Sucks to be a blue dot in a red state, but it feels good to have done my part.

by Anonymousreply 2811/06/2012

Voted in Brooklyn at 8 AM.

by Anonymousreply 2911/06/2012

I am at Sojourner Truth PS 149 on 117 in Harlem and I have been here over an hour and have got voted yet.

by Anonymousreply 3011/06/2012

Voted by affidavit in Brooklyn. There was some screw-up where our address no longer shows up in our regular district so we were sent to another polling place, who said we should go back to the first one but they gave us the option of voting by affidavit, which we did. Avoided some long lines that way.

by Anonymousreply 3111/06/2012

Please don't give up folks!

by Anonymousreply 3211/06/2012

Got a text from a friend who has waited one hour in Gramercy NYC, and understand the lines to be around the block here in Chelsea too.

by Anonymousreply 3311/06/2012

Yup. Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Way more crowded than years past. And very disorganized. Lots of people not showing up on rolls due to redistricting.

by Anonymousreply 3511/06/2012

R5 = Ann Romney

by Anonymousreply 3611/06/2012

keep the faith!! vote!

by Anonymousreply 3711/06/2012

Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

HEAVY turnout--big minority turnout. Waited in line 45 minutes or so.

by Anonymousreply 3811/06/2012

Youngsville, NC. No lines, but turn out was picking up by the times I left.

by Anonymousreply 3911/06/2012

At 6:35, I was voter #48 in Election District 81 at Westbeth in the West Village.

by Anonymousreply 4011/06/2012

Waited for a little over an hour in DC. Go Jill Stein!

by Anonymousreply 4111/06/2012

Excellent news, R38!

by Anonymousreply 4211/06/2012

My aunt voted this morning on the lower east side in the 20s and waited and hour and a half.

I voted this morning on 87th street and riverside and waited about 35 minutes. I think I waited over an hour in 2008, though the line was longer when I left.

by Anonymousreply 4311/06/2012

Repugs are staying home.

by Anonymousreply 4411/06/2012

just voted in South Philadelphia. TONS more people than I've ever seen before and I've lived near this polling place for 12 years. I even had to wait, the first time ever!

by Anonymousreply 4611/06/2012

A half-hour wait in Dedham, Massachusetts. Longest line I've seen here!

by Anonymousreply 4711/06/2012

[quote]Almost everyone I've seen was young, but that would be expected in this district.

similar here, It was good to see

by Anonymousreply 4811/06/2012

Not in Bizarro Land where you reside, R45, but in the real world.

That's why Repugs are so afraid of Nate.

There's no other reason for them to be afraid of Nate.

by Anonymousreply 4911/06/2012

Great news, R46 and R47!

by Anonymousreply 5011/06/2012

I voted early by mail, but my friends who are working the polls tell me the lines are running around the building and down the street. HUGE turnout.

by Anonymousreply 5111/06/2012

Voted today in Broomall, PA. No wait at all, but there were at least 10 Romney signs outside and only 1 Obama. On a side note, while I was getting my ID checked one of the volunteers at a table behind me said loudly enough for everyone to hear-"I'm very comfortable with my sexuality!" I thought that was funny.

by Anonymousreply 5211/06/2012

I had a Repug tell me that she might not vote. Some of them are disgusted by their own candidate.

by Anonymousreply 5311/06/2012

Minneapolis Minnesota.

No wait.

NO and NO

On both proposed amendments.

OBAMA!!

by Anonymousreply 5411/06/2012

R34 and R45, you are disgusting. Get the fuck out of New York City and go to Alabama or some shit where you can be with the rest of your people.

by Anonymousreply 5511/06/2012

Usually no wait, today an hour and a half wait and still waiting. Lots of young people.

by Anonymousreply 5611/06/2012

Just voted!

I live in the Philly burbs - it was packed at my polling place.

by Anonymousreply 5711/06/2012

Thirty minutes in Chelsea, down from earlier hour plus wait times. Not bad, plus it's always nice to vote with the neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 5811/06/2012

Early voted for Obama in Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 5911/06/2012

Cambridge MA here. It was the longest line to vote I have ever seen. I waited over 45 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 6011/06/2012

About an hour at the Brooklyn Museum.

by Anonymousreply 6111/06/2012

I voted in California. Got to the polling place about 10 minutes before they opened (7AM) and there were already 10 people ahead of me in line. Only took about 10 minutes to check-in and vote once they opened, but when I left the lines were already out the door.

by Anonymousreply 6211/06/2012

I voted by absentee ballot last week.

by Anonymousreply 6311/06/2012

I voted for Obama by absentee ballot probably about a month ago here in California. Does anyone have the feeling the turnout for this one is going to be very high like the one in 1960 between Kennedy and Nixon? BTW, I think I may keep my Obama/Biden sticker on my back bumper for awhile even after the election. I wrote to Biden shortly after his debate with Ryan commending him for his effort and to ask him where he expected this country to be toward the middle and end of this century as far as passenger rail service and high speed rail is concerned since that seems to be one of his "projects".

by Anonymousreply 6411/06/2012

Dropped off my absentee ballot this morning in California. Just saw 1 person voting (and 10 election volunteers to help that 1 person), but I'm rural so not expecting a madhouse at the polling places anyway.

I'm understanding the state is projected to go about 58% to Obama and 30something% to Romney, with the rest third party.

by Anonymousreply 6511/06/2012

Cincinnati, Ohio. Voted Obama.

Line was about a 20 minute wait and the place was packed. The weather is beautiful so I expect a really high turnout. I am cautiously optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 6611/06/2012

I'm in Santa Monica. About a 30 minute wait, not helped by the elderly polling workers, but it's ok --- I got to see a lot of friends.

by Anonymousreply 6711/06/2012

Voted in the Hamptons, LI. Steady stream of voters. Waited about 10 minutes to vote, then waited a half an hour for gas.

by Anonymousreply 6811/06/2012

Boreum Hill, Brooklyn here. Voted for Obama earlier this morning. Waited about an hour. I don't understand why they are hiring retirees when NYS has so many people on unemployment. There should have been a call to people who are collecting to offer them the work.

by Anonymousreply 6911/06/2012

Several oldsters from my building didn't want to drive to the polling site and use up their gas because of the current gas situation. Took them to vote, then to a diner (Jersey of course) for breakfast, my treat. They all voted for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 7011/06/2012

Voted in South Philly this morning - in and out. Not too busy but I have a feeling it will be steady all day.

by Anonymousreply 7111/06/2012

Voted at 9 am. I'm in a MA suburb on to RI border.

There was a line out the door. The guy in front of me said that it was never like that in the 20 years.

Based on the numbers of ballots from 2008, we were at 15% of that total at 9 am.

Oh, voted Obama, Warren and Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 7211/06/2012

you ROCK r70! wish i could send you a gift for that.

by Anonymousreply 7311/06/2012

At my precinct, I dont' think I've ever waited longer than 15 minutes to vote before. Even in 2008. And I always go in the morning about the same time (8:30 local time). In off years, I rarely have to stand in line at all.

It took an HOUR today. The place was packed. I'd never seen lines that long.

by Anonymousreply 7411/06/2012

It's nearly impossible to be a poll worker unless you started as a poll worker in the 1950s. My mother said only the current poll workers know how and when and where to sign up to work the polls in each election. It's a closely guarded secret. If you try to volunteer you will get a nice smile and, "Thank you for your offer to volunteer, but the positions are already filled."

Unless its a really dangerous neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 7511/06/2012

r74 -- WHERE?

by Anonymousreply 7611/06/2012

It's quite nippy here, so I decided to wear a zippered sweater. Halfway out the door I said, "Oh no! Not my RED sweater!" and went back upstairs and put on my blue sweater.

by Anonymousreply 7711/06/2012

I hope thus heavy voter turnout isn't the racist vote. You know, people who never vote coming out to vote against the black guy.

by Anonymousreply 7811/06/2012

Big clusterfuck in New Orleans. They (1) changed 8 polling places at the last minute, and (2) redistricted 3/4 of the voters, but many people claim they weren't informed and didn't receive a new card as to where to vote. So, tons of people here are playing musical polls.

by Anonymousreply 7911/06/2012

oh dear

by Anonymousreply 8011/06/2012

No wait at my polling place in the Bronx. Other districts within the room had very long lines...probably an hour.

First presidential election not using lever machines. We had paper ballots and scanners.

Most of the old folks around me were flashing their ballots and showing their votes for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 8111/06/2012

I had to be at work at 7:30 and was afraid I would get stuck in line and then have to leave. I dread going at 4:30 which is the soonest I can get out of here. I will stick it out if there is a line, but waiting an hour plus as some have reported will not be fun.

Other than posting here, any tricks for making the wait seem faster?

by Anonymousreply 8211/06/2012

Deep South --

A red state with purple tinges. Heavily GOP suburb. Polling place uncrowded. In and out in 5 minutes.

Apparently they know the GOP will take the state but lose the general. No jubilation or enthusiasm detected.

I did not vote for a single Republican.

by Anonymousreply 8311/06/2012

R82

Think of how long 4 years under Romney will seem

by Anonymousreply 8411/06/2012

Voted (for Barack!) in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. Busy polling place, but no long lines. In and out in about 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 8511/06/2012

Gov. Rick Scott got rid of a lot of voting stations in Florida, making it harder for people to vote.

Now I just heard that a voting machine...(not in Florida) changed a vote for Obama, into a vote for Romney. Didn't we all know THIS would happen?

Where are votes being monitored by the UN...should be Ohio, Wisconsin and Florida.

by Anonymousreply 8611/06/2012

I suggest taking a Xanax before you go to vote, it will help you keep your cool.

by Anonymousreply 8711/06/2012

I voted for one Republican in my lifetime, it was a big mistake.

by Anonymousreply 8811/06/2012

It took 1hr and 40 minutes from start to finish to vote in Arlington, VA. Most of my co-workers who live in various parts of Virginia have spent similar amounts of time in line. No issues whatsoever...but I now see how Romney thought he could win PA! FoxNews is in meltdown mode over the new black panthers (who are probably republicans).

by Anonymousreply 8911/06/2012

I almost voted for a Republican challenger over a Democratic incumbent who's unbelievably ineffective (Jim Moran, D-VA), but I hadn't thoroughly researched the other guy. Even the worst Dem is better than trusting a Republican in wolf's clothing.

by Anonymousreply 9011/06/2012

Los Angeles here, it was very crowded, excellent turnout. The voting places are the only places in Los Angeles you never see any Mexicans LOL!

by Anonymousreply 9111/06/2012

Being in Texas, there were a few races where there were no Democrats... it was a Republican against a Libertarian. Even though I loathe libertarians (they're all childlishly immature self-absorbed clueless idiots), I vote for the Libertarian every time against the vastly more evil and corrupt Republicans.

I Never, EVER vote for a Republican. Not now. No way.

There were even a few races where the people running were Republican, Libertarian, and Green (no Democrat)... the Green party got my vote in those cases. Not that it matters (they'll be lucky to pull more than 1% of the vote). But still.

It's the principle of the thing. I [italic]have[/italic] principles. Republicans don't.

by Anonymousreply 9211/06/2012

r75, NYC Board of Elections has recruiting booths at street fairs in the spring and summer. It takes 36,000 poll workers to handle the volume of voters. You get a $100 for training and $200 for election day.

by Anonymousreply 9311/06/2012

In Far Rockaway where many homes were destroyed, tents were set up to vote. Generators didn't work, people had to use paper Affidavits this morning.

by Anonymousreply 9411/06/2012

Voted this morning in Chelsea, on 23rd St. 40 minutes, not much to complain about, but certainly the longest I've ever experienced voting. I have a very good feeling about today and the Dems!

by Anonymousreply 9511/06/2012

I do too, R95!

by Anonymousreply 9611/06/2012

I voted about an hour ago. My precinct is usually a graveyard, but today it was bustling. We use the paper ballots with the bubbles penciled in, and the scanning machine has a counter on the front showing how many ballots have been entered. Usually, if I vote at this time of day I'd be somewhere between number 200 and 300; today, I was number 1187.

by Anonymousreply 9711/06/2012

How is high turnout good for Dems and not Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 9811/06/2012

I'm concerned about amendments. I don't think they should be allowed on the ballots. They should be only allowed on a seperate voting day and they should have to get a large turnout before they can be voted in. The amendments are always put on by the wealthy and the religious right.

by Anonymousreply 9911/06/2012

I voted around 11:00 in L.A. County. Took all of five minutes. Lots of empty booths. When I drove by the polling station later, there were more cars in the parking lot (it was at an Elks Lodge.) I'm sure it will be busier after more people get home from work.

by Anonymousreply 10011/06/2012

Philly, 2PM, no one there.

by Anonymousreply 10111/06/2012

Yes, weeks ago too. For Obama and every other Dem I could vote for.

by Anonymousreply 10211/06/2012

R52, why was your ID being checked in PA? In PA you DO NOT need an ID. You need to report anyone who told you that you needed an ID.

by Anonymousreply 10311/06/2012

Problems with scanners in NYC. Some are running out of batteries. Ballots not being properly scanned.

This is NOT GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 10411/06/2012

Cincinnati, mid-afternoon. Some people but no lines.

by Anonymousreply 10511/06/2012

This whole election is turning into a joke. I read about one voting machine after another as having a problem. I won't trust anything about this election...the problems will go on for months.

by Anonymousreply 10611/06/2012

First time voters need to show ID, at least that's what our polling person said. I showed mine just so she could see my name. Ended up only taking 10 minutes or so. Whew!

by Anonymousreply 10711/06/2012

Congrats on being a first time voter, r82/r107.

by Anonymousreply 10811/06/2012

Why can't I vote in a place like this?

by Anonymousreply 10911/06/2012

R103-my ID wasn't being checked. I just pulled out my driver's license-they didn't ask and I wasn't going to make a scene.

by Anonymousreply 11011/06/2012

There would have been no waiting at my voting location had it not been for two out of three scanning machines out of work.

In 2008, there was a line two blocks long to vote all day long. No waiting today.

I noticed another voting location in East Village, on E. Houston by the river, being completely empty.

This was early in the afternoon. Maybe things will pick up after 5pm.

by Anonymousreply 11111/06/2012

Voted at 11am in Washington Heights (NYC -- not an area affected by flooding or power outages). Sheer chaos. Lines snaking all over the place without any indication what district they were for. Poll workers giving out wrong information. Scanners not working.

I got out after 40 minutes (it usually takes less than 10) only because they finally divided the immense stalled line I was in by surname. The Board of Elections clearly doesn't know how to deal with the new voting process.

by Anonymousreply 11211/06/2012

Voted at 3:30 in Houston. I was one of four voters at the time.

by Anonymousreply 11311/06/2012

Posh polling place in Brentwood: valet parking, smoked salmon

November 6, 2012 | 3:34 pm

Turn into the winding driveway hidden by foliage and a man in a suit greets you before offering complimentary valet. Staff members in lavender polos guide you to a hallway where smoked salmon sandwiches garnished with olives and cucumbers await. Ceramic platters of cookies are plentiful and salads are served in Asian takeout boxes paired with chopsticks. Tiny jars of honey are available to accompany your tea.

This is voting Brentwood style.

"It just makes it an experience," said Erla Perez as she noshed on a salad at the Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel located in one of Los Angeles' most affluent neighborhoods.

The 18-year-old nursing student lives in the dorms at Mount St. Mary's College and arrived Tuesday with her two roommates after class, all of them still in their white scrubs and tennis shoes.

One of them, 19-year-old Yanira Olague, had requested an absentee ballot but was glad she decided to turn it in by hand, even if it meant feeling self-conscious about her 1992 Honda Civic among the luxury cars.

"This was way more exciting than if I had mailed it in," Olague said.

The first time at the polls for all three, the young women laughed that their future voting experiences were likely ruined.

"Probably next time we'll be like, 'Where are the cookies and sandwiches?'" said Diana Zuniga, 19.

Things appeared to be going smoothly at the hotel Tuesday afternoon with no lines and many voters enjoying the refreshments and shaded patio area where the background noise was made up of soft elevator music and the rush of water fountains.

Guests were encouraged to use the free Wi-Fi and watch TV. Many lingered at tables covered in white linen. Employees were quick to answer questions and encourage voters to help themselves to the food. "This is great marketing," remarked one man.

The only problems were "too much sun, too many croissants for the day," joked Charles Harris, Luxe Hotels vice president of marketing.

Harris said the hotel simply aimed "to "present ourselves in a professional manner" on what is the Luxe's third time serving as a polling place in a presidential election.

The perks were open to not just voters but hotel guests and members of the community, said general manager Amy Commans. This year they added bundles of red, white and blue balloons to the decor and gave flag pins to all the staff flag to wear on their lapels.

"It's overall just a patriotic glow," Commans said.

Next to the coffee, soft drinks and bottled water wrapped in the hotel's logo were cards that read "Thank you for voting today!" along with an offer for a hotel room at the discounted rate of $185. The average rate for a room at the hotel is about $250 while a suite can cost up to $1,200, Commans said.

Some voters appreciated the hotel's effort but admitted they felt a little guilty when hearing about long waits at other places that likely also lacked hors d'oeuvres.

"This place is like, 'Come vote!'' said Greg Ferkel. "We're a little spoiled I guess."

But the 38-year-old attorney said that although the setup was nice, he was more excited about the day itself, one that had even inspired his 4-year-old daughter. (She is firmly in support of President Obama.)

"It's a day where everybody's doing the same thing and I think it brings us together as a city," Ferkel said. "There's kind of a nice mood to the day, everyone's checking the same stories, everybody's invested."

by Anonymousreply 11411/06/2012

Just walked out of my polling place on the Upper East Side. After being in line for nearly an hour and a half to get in, it was total chaos, and was told it would be another 1.5 to 2 hours to actually get to the table and get a ballot. Fuck that shit...I have WAY too much to get done tonight.

Was obviously gonna vote for Prez/Biden, but it's NYC. Me voting or not voting isn't gonna change anything here. Sucks, though, because I really really wanted to vote, I just cannot handle that kind of uncontrolled chaotic crowd...I get panic attacks and shit. Fuck that.

This system is so fucking broken. :(

by Anonymousreply 11511/06/2012

I voted in Santa Barbara, CA about an hour ago. Four people were in line ahead of me, we all got right in.

There were about 20 people inside already voting. The poll workers said it had been very busy all day today. I asked if it was busier than 2008, they all said yes.

I know the President is going to take CA easily but still, it's good to hear that people are turning out. High voter turnout favors the President and pretty much all the Democrats.

One woman with a young child was told she wasn't registered. She looked very upset and left the polling place. I caught her outside and asked if they had offered her a provisional ballot, she said they hadn't. I told her they were required to give her one if she wanted to vote. She said she *did* want to and her old precinct was in a different county, no time to drive all the way over there. So she went back and, I assume, voted with a provisional ballot. Yay Democracy.

by Anonymousreply 11611/06/2012

I hate salmon

by Anonymousreply 11711/06/2012

Nearly 27% of registered Los Angeles County voters had cast a ballot by noon on Tuesday, a significant drop from the same time in 2008, county officials said.

Four years ago, almost 38% of registered voters had voted by noon.

by Anonymousreply 11811/06/2012

This is where I voted:

by Anonymousreply 11911/06/2012

As voters headed to the polls across Southern California, some residents reported sporadic problems.

At Trinity Street School in South Los Angeles, poll workers had ballots, but no voting machines. Some voters waited in vain for more than an hour to see if the machines would arrive before leaving in frustration.

"We can't vote," said Gerardo Galeano, 39. "If this was a local election, I probably wouldn't be as upset, but with the stakes for today's election, the presidential race and all the propositions, it makes me scratch my head: How could this happen?"

Daniel Villa, a USC student, said he accompanied his mother to the polling station to cast her first ballot as a U.S. citizen, only to find she could not vote.

"This further marginalizes my community," Villa said, noting that he had made a formal complaint.

In Ladera Heights, at Saint Mary's Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, three precincts all had a small percentage of residents who said they were incorrectly listed as choosing to vote by mail. Those voters had to fill out provisional ballots.

There were also reports that some voters were being asked for identification, which is not required in California.

James Childs, 67, said he was asked to produce a drivers license or other photo identification when he went to vote at the Hoover Recreation Center near USC.

by Anonymousreply 12011/06/2012

The condom question scared them off.

by Anonymousreply 12111/06/2012

I voted around 10:00 and was #250-something. Not much of a line, smooth process.

by Anonymousreply 12211/06/2012

Voted at 10am in Washington Heights. Hectic but not a long wait time (25 minutes). They choose a bad layout again so no one knew where the lines were and of course the poll workers are all old and blind.

by Anonymousreply 12311/06/2012

U.S. attorney warns eateries: no freebies for voters

November 6, 2012 | 4:49 pm

This being election day, the U.S. attorney in San Diego has issued the standard warning: federal law prohibits giving free or reduced-price food to voters.

Several San Diego dining establishments had promised food to anyone showing an "I Voted" sticker, with no requirement that the voter have voted for a specific candidate or measure.

"Businesses should not offer free or discounted food, drink or services in exchange for voting," according to the U.S. attorney.

Local restaurants had offered voters tacos, sandwiches, onion rings, sushi or a pint of beer.

--Tony Perry in San Diego

by Anonymousreply 12411/06/2012

Voted around 11:00am in Hell's Kitchen. Took about half an hour. Two transgendered women, which I'm note sure anyone noticed. Two scanners, one broken already. Miss Jane Pittman looking for people's names in the book, without the benefit of hearing, or any clue as to what alphabetizing even is.

Main causes of the slow down.

1. Elderly, deaf, slow-witted old women poll workers, who try to solve every problem brought to them, instead of letting the right person answer problems/questions.

2. Pushy, line-cutting seniors who are utterly unable to follow simple instructions.

3. My polling place is in the basement of a school, but it's not the gym, or cafeteria, it's a STORAGE ROOM. It's far too small and narrow, so even if there's only 30 people in the room, it seems crowded and out of control.

4. People who just don't seem familiar AT ALL with the process. Even people who seem to have been voting their whole lives!

I think cater waiters should run the whole thing. Those gays and pros could get that room humming, and fast!

by Anonymousreply 12511/06/2012

R125 you will be old one day.

Or, if we're lucky, you won't.

by Anonymousreply 12611/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.