Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Senior Conservatives are accused of being part of paedophile ring in UK

[quote]Cameron orders two more inquiries into alleged north Wales sex abuse ring

Monday 5 November 2012

David Cameron battled to stay ahead of the swirl of allegations about child sex abuse in the UK, including the potential involvement of a close ally of Lady Thatcher, by announcing two further urgent inquiries into an alleged paedophile ring in north Wales in the 1970s and 1980s.

Faced by claims that senior Conservative politicians and other establishment figures may have been involved in the scandal – and a subsequent cover-up – Cameron announced he would establish an urgent investigation by a senior independent figure into the conduct of the official Waterhouse inquiry into the child sex abuse ring, which was held between 1996 and 2000.

The prime minister is on an official visit to the Middle East. His spokesman in London said a separate inquiry was also expected to be held into the way the North Wales police had handled complaints at the time. That inquiry is likely to be conducted by the National Crime Agency.

Up to five different inquiries are now under way, or imminent, looking into various aspects of child abuse. But ministers feel they must be seen to be taking the allegations seriously, especially since the government has condemned the BBC for failing to be alert to allegations of child abuse by Jimmy Savile.

There is also a concern in government circles that victims' allegations about abuse were not taken seriously in the past, and that there must be a clear signal from the top of government that any culture of complacency is changing.

Speaking in Abu Dhabi, Cameron said: "Child abuse is an absolutely hateful and abhorrent crime … These allegations are truly dreadful and they mustn't be left hanging in the air, so I'm taking action today.

"I'm going to be asking a senior independent figure to lead an urgent investigation into whether the original inquiry was properly constituted and properly did its job and to report urgently to the government."

Cameron also called on anyone who knows anything about the allegations of abuse to contact the police.

Cameron and the cabinet secretary, Sir Jeremy Heywood, rushed to act as the media threatened to identify the senior Tory figure close to Lady Thatcher alleged to have been involved in the child abuse.

The government said they were acting largely due to the allegations made by the BBC Newsnight programme on Friday night, and not due to the campaign launched by the Labour MP Tom Watson.

Nevertheless Watson also urged the government to act after one of the alleged victims, Steve Messham, said that the Waterhouse inquiry of 2000 had only covered a fraction of the assaults.

Messham will meet the Welsh secretary, David Jones, on Tuesday.

On Newsnight, Messham said he had been abused by the senior Tory and said the claims had been "swept under the carpet". According to reports at the weekend, as many as three victims have named the Tory grandee as one of their abusers. Newsnight said at least one other victim of abuse in the homes said he was abused by the politician.

In an extraordinary letter to the prime minister, Watson praised Cameron for acting swiftly, but then made a series of further allegations about the extent of the cover-up in other police forces.

"It is certainly important that government departments trawl their archives to see what documents they hold," said Watson. "But my experience of uncovering massive establishment conspiracies leaves me in no doubt that what you have suggested does not go anything like far enough. Its limited scope may even slow things down, muddy waters, damage trails. What is needed is a much wider, but equally immediate, investigation."

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 111/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2012

This reminds me that a British poster commenting about the Savile affair said Savile had bragged about spending over 10 New Year's with the Thatchers. The poster also mentioned there are rumors linking the recent closure of former PM Edward Heath's hoouse to the public to the scandal.

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2012

Talking of David Cameron, I saw a news clip yesterday where this bigoted piece of shit kept referring to the President as just "Barack". I wanted to punch this racist asshole when he called the President by his first name two or three times. He'd never dare call any white world leader by his or her first name. But when it comes to our President, this jerk shows his true colors by using his first name and not "President Obama".

by Anonymousreply 411/08/2012

Could be his way of trying to appear casual and 'down with the kids'.

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2012

It gets worse, my friends. David Cameron apparently can't tell the difference between a gay and a pedo.

From today's Guardian UK:

David Cameron has warned that accusations of paedophilia against senior Conservative politicians risk creating a witch-hunt, particularly against gay people.

The prime minister made his comments after he was confronted on daytime television with a list of names circulating on the internet of Tory politicians possibly involved in child sex abuse claims. The piece of paper was accidentally briefly flashed on air.

Speaking on ITV1's This Morning, Cameron appealed to anybody with information to contact the police but raised concerns over the internet speculation about who may be embroiled in the scandal, dating back to the 1970s and 1980s.

"I've heard all sorts of names bandied around and what then tends to happen is everyone sits around and speculates about people, some of whom are alive, some of whom are dead," he told This Morning.

"I do think it's very important that anyone who's got any information about any paedophile, no matter how high up in the country or whether they are alive or dead, go to the police."

The presenter, Phillip Schofield, passed Cameron a list of names he had gathered from the internet, saying: "You know the names on that piece of paper, will you be speaking to these people?"

Cameron replied: "There is a danger if we are not careful that this can turn into a sort of witch-hunt, particularly about people who are gay, and I'm worried about the sort of thing you are doing right now, taking a list of names off the internet." He said the allegations were "extremely serious" and the government had "moved quickly to try to get to the bottom of what they are".

Schofield later apologised for potentially revealing the names, blaming a "misjudged camera angle". He said: "If any viewer was able to identify anyone listed, I would like to apologise and stress that was never my intention. I was not accusing anyone of anything and it is essential that it is understood that I would never be part of any kind of witch-hunt.

"Unfortunately there may have been a misjudged camera angle for a split second as I showed the prime minister some information I had obtained from the internet."

The Conservative MP Rob Wilson wrote to Ofcom chief executive Ed Richards urging him to investigate whether This Morning breached the broadcasting code "when Mr Schofield revealed the names of certain individuals in connection with allegations of child abuse and paedophilia against Conservative politicians".

Under Ofcom's code, broadcasters are obliged to seek a response from individuals who are the subject of significant criticism or allegations of wrongdoing.

An ITV spokesperson said: "It is extremely regrettable that names may have been very briefly visible as a result of a misjudged camera angle, although most viewers would not have been able to read the list. As Phillip has stressed, the programme was not accusing anyone of anything."

Allegations that senior Conservative politicians may have been involved in abuse at children's homes in north Wales triggered two separate inquiries this week. They are the latest in a number of inquiries set up over recent weeks after a slew of historic child sex abuse allegations involving the BBC, care homes and Whitehall surfaced, beginning with revelations about the BBC presenter Jimmy Savile.

The home secretary, Theresa May, announced on Tuesday that the incoming director general of the new National Crime Agency, Keith Bristow, would head a team looking at how North Wales police investigated allegations of child abuse in the 1970s and 1980s, amid claims that they failed to take complaints seriously. A high court judge, Mrs Justice Julia Wendy Macur, would examine the scope and conduct of the previous Waterhouse inquiry into the abuse. One of the main issues will be why 28 alleged abusers, including an influential ally of Lady Thatcher, were identified during the inquiry but had their names protected.

(continued at link)

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2012

[quote]Talking of David Cameron, I saw a news clip yesterday where this bigoted piece of shit kept referring to the President as just "Barack".

But are the British happy that Obama won over Romney?

They weren't happy with Mitt during the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 711/08/2012

My reading of Cameron's comment is that he didn't want people to confuse homosexuality with pedophilia and begin a witch hunt. I don't take that as a bad thing (I admit I haven't finished the entire article)

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2012

Stop chatting shit about pedophilia, this is about racism. Investigate that.

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2012

My reading of this is that 1. He was a close advisor of The Great Bitch (which Heath never was) and 2. He is still alive (which Heath isn't)...

Just name the cunt?

by Anonymousreply 1111/08/2012

R9, I got the same impression.

I also think he is implicitly trying to distinguish ephebophile from pedophile.

As a pragmatist, he knows that there will be a difficult, scorched earth political fight behind the scenes.

The people who truly want this stopped will only get so much money, time and opportunity to investigate and prosecute.

Because of this, he will probably want to concentrate on the allegations of pedophilia.

Remember too, that this is Britain. A socialite carrying enough cocaine and heroin [i]into a party at an embassy[/i] got off. The same amount on a black guy in Brixton, with the same priors, would have been 10-15 yrs.

Class matters.

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2012

Aside from the legalities (libel chill exists in Britain and Canada moreso than in the US), it could create a cascade effect.

I think that's what they are really scared of if they name one person.

If one person goes down, he could easily be resentful and think, "Why me, minister X did nine year olds, and I only fucked a willing 16 year old? I'm not going down alone on this."

Before long, people in that class, across party line could go down.

They really think they are entitled to live by a different set of rules. Hemingway may have had the last word, but Fitzgerald was right.

by Anonymousreply 1311/08/2012

who are they?

by Anonymousreply 1411/08/2012

It now seems possible that the Tory grandee widely thought to be an abuser has the same name as another alleged abuser, who lived close to the 'care' home in Wales. (Same rich family though.) 'The Guardian' today makes this vital clarification.

No one to my knowledge has yet denied that Sir Peter Morrison - aristocrat, aide to Thatcher, brother to The Queen's Lady In Waiting - used the home for abuse.

A link has been made between Savile - whose crimes ignited this season in hell - and the 'care' home in Wales: he allegedly knew the abusing head of the home, visited, and watched as children were humiliated.

What has made this scandal seismic is the force of internet activity. The mainstream press has been monitoring two sites in particular where quite deep research blends with speculation. Problem is, for every one good insight there are about ten examples of illiterate self-righteous lunacy.

Something of that latter mood caused the idiotic surprising of PM Cameron on daytime TV; and a press mob around the supposed Tory abuser's residence in Italy.

Still, the scandal rightly isn't going away any time soon. Scores of victims have come forward, and Tom Watson MP (who raised the topic in Parliament and is committed to it) says on his blog he's been warned if he continues he's in peril. Clearly some big reputations know how much the game has changed. We're still in Chapter One.

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2012

"Just name the cunt?"

Margaret Thatcher.

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2012

Why did Cameron start warning against witch hunts of gay people without even reading the names on the list that he was handed by the TV show presenter? Did he guess which names were going to be on the list and that the kids abused were all boys?

by Anonymousreply 1711/09/2012

[quote]No one to my knowledge has yet denied that Sir Peter Morrison - aristocrat, aide to Thatcher, brother to The Queen's Lady In Waiting - used the home for abuse.

[quote]A link has been made between Savile - whose crimes ignited this season in hell - and the 'care' home in Wales: he allegedly knew the abusing head of the home, visited, and watched as children were humiliated.

This is so chilling and stomach-turning. The children were captive.

by Anonymousreply 1811/09/2012

I hope that a blanket policy is applied and that heterosexual rock stars who repeatedly slept with underage girls also go to prison. They are legion.

by Anonymousreply 1911/09/2012

People with power abusing their status and power. It should be breaking news when one of them isn't a sick jerk.

by Anonymousreply 2011/09/2012

Can someone please start a thread about the new Archbishop of Canterbury? I wanted to know what our Brit friends think about this guy, who's apparently some sort of Evangelical who opposes gay marriage and used to work in the oil industry before joining the church? What does this mean for the status of civil partnerships and gay marriage for gays and lesbians in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 2111/09/2012

And it turns out to be a false story. The BBC director general has resigned.

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!