Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Six in my backyard.

That means snow this week. Could be a lot. Could be nothing but flurries.

We're going to get another nor'easter. I hope it's not snowy.

AND there was a meteorite tonight. Pretty blue and green across my backyard. It disappeared over a field. But if I were a medieval person, I would think it is a bad omen.

by Northeast Coastreply 1911/15/2012

That's juncos.

by Northeast Coastreply 111/05/2012

Are you DL's bird watcher or are there more than one of you?

by Northeast Coastreply 211/05/2012

Hon, you need to get out more.

by Northeast Coastreply 311/05/2012

There's more than one, R2. Most of us are used to seeing Juncos.

by Northeast Coastreply 411/05/2012

[Quote]That means snow this week. Could be a lot. Could be nothing but flurries.

Coul you be a bit more wishy-washy?

by Northeast Coastreply 511/05/2012

I saw the meteorite too at about 5:30. Snow in NY and Nj will be horrible.

by Northeast Coastreply 611/05/2012

I don't think we have this bird in the Gulf South.

Are juncos just souped up house sparrows?

Are they migratory?

by Northeast Coastreply 711/05/2012

Meteor, OP. It's only a meteorite once it lands. You're welcome.

by Northeast Coastreply 811/05/2012

Last year I saw 2 juncos the entire winter. There was an early snow and then no more snow for the winter.

I'll keep watching. The more juncos, the more snow.

by Northeast Coastreply 911/05/2012

Juncos are northern birds. They live in high mountain elevations and in Canada. I'm in lower NY and this is their "south." Birds like orioles migrate to Mexico, Central and South America. That's their south. Birds from the Arctic migrate to the northern US.

They are sparrows and their nickname is "snowbirds."

They all have white bellies. They all have a few white feathers on each side of their tail, so when the hop around or fly, you see little white flicks in the tail. Their heads, backs and most of their tails can be do dark gray that they look almost black, or they can be a light buffy tan. Or they can be gray and tan together.

by Northeast Coastreply 1011/05/2012

This is a video of a junco. You can see the quick flicking of the white tail feathers as it hops about.

by Northeast Coastreply 1111/05/2012

Aha! Meteor showers. The Taurid and the Leonid meteor showers

"Starting Monday and continuing for the next two weeks, two prominent meteor showers will be lighting up the night sky with flashes of fireballs and shooting stars.

The first, the Taurid meteors - sometimes called the "Halloween Fireballs" - appear every fall between mid-October and early December. Astronomers say that because of the peak of activity and the brightness of the moon, the seven days between Monday and Nov. 12 should make for the best viewing this year.

The second, the Leonid meteors, are expected to be best viewed around Nov. 17, although they will be active all month.

If conditions are right, the Taurids should produce about five visible shooting stars per hour, and the Leonids 15 or more, although the Taurids can be slower-moving and brighter."

by Northeast Coastreply 1211/05/2012

In Philadelphia, we usually get the first Juncos on Nov. 6. I haven't seen them yet this year, though today we had white-throated sparrows.

Last year we had Juncos on Nov. 3 or 4 and I predicted an early winter, which turned out not to be true, tho' perhaps in the arctic is was colder earlier....

I'm expecting them tomorrow or the next day.

by Northeast Coastreply 1311/05/2012

It's snowing here. Pretty significantly.

by Northeast Coastreply 1411/07/2012

Jesus F. Christ -- are you all lesbians??

by Northeast Coastreply 1511/07/2012

Dear god, not these things?

by Northeast Coastreply 1611/07/2012

No Junncos, but I have at least four brown hawks; all of the cats stick close to the hedges.

by Northeast Coastreply 1711/07/2012

I've seen quite a few, but an amazing number of kinglets too. I walk along the Hudson to work.

by Northeast Coastreply 1811/07/2012

Finally arrived in Philadelphia yesterday, November 14, about a week late.

Arctic must be warming, so they are staying there longer?

by Northeast Coastreply 1911/15/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!