Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ugh!

Dear Democrat friends: My Romney vote in no way disrespects same-sex marriage

By Lauren Stieritz, November 1, 2012

Yes, I endorse same-sex marriage. Yes, I voted for Mitt Romney. Yes, I can do both of these things.

Doug Wright wrote a letter on Facebook to his GOP friends this week, calling them out for their Romney vote, entitled: “Dear Republican friends: Your Romney vote disrespects my marriage.”

He states by voting for Romney, one is saying: ”‘My taxes and take-home pay mean more than your fundamental civil rights, the sanctity of your marriage, your right to visit an ailing spouse in the hospital, your dignity as a citizen of this country, your healthcare, your right to inherit, the mental welfare and emotional well-being of your youth, and your very personhood.’”

He goes on to say that Republicans who support gay marriage don’t get to “walk away clean because (they) say (they) ‘disagree’ with (their) candidate on certain issues.”

But the fact of the matter is such: Same-sex marriage will not be legalized on a federal level should President Obama be elected for a second term. And as long as the issue remains on the conservative platform, it doesn’t stand a chance. But pro-gay Republicans are out there. I am one of them and I stand by this.

Sure, Obama endorsed same-sex marriage on national television. But as Romney stated in the first debate, “Let’s look at the president’s policies as opposed to his rhetoric.”

“Mr. Obama’s announcement has little substantive impact — as an aide said, ‘It’s not like we’re trying to pass legislation,’” according to the NY Times report on the endorsement.

Yes, Obama successfully repealed “don’t ask, don’t tell” in 2010. And Romney has since agreed not to reinstate the act should he be elected, and the progress that has been made will endure.

If I (and others that share my position) don’t vote for my conservative and Republican values and remain a voting member of the party I belong to, the party will have no gay advocates and the current laws, standpoints and struggles of the legalization of same-sex marriage will continue to sit at a halt. If we don’t start now, moving toward making gay OK in the Republican Party, we don’t even come close to a chance at “hope” and “change”.

Romney was recently asked what he would do if one of his family members were gay. He responded, “I love my children, and I love my grandchildren, and of course I’d want them to be happy. My view is this: individuals should be able to pursue a relationship of love and respect and raise a family as they would choose. I would like to have the term ‘marriage’ continue to be associated with a relationship between one man and one woman, and that certainly doesn’t prevent two people of the same gender living in a loving relationship together having a domestic partnership, if you will.”

Romney may not be in support of equal marriage for all. Just like the majority of Republicans. It takes time. This does not mean I disrespect it.

I will not vote against every one of my views for a president who stands for less than a handful of my social values. I will not conform to a party I don’t believe in for an issue that will not change.

I will not conform to following a president that has nothing to offer me but lip service.

The gay rights movement will not fully take stride until the U.S. — Republican Party included — accepts being gay as part of our culture. It will take time — just as every other civil rights movement has. But without more gay and gay-ally Republicans we cannot do this. Until gay marriage is accepted by both parties and removed as a political platform and agenda, it will not work.

Right now, we need to focus on getting our economy back. Right now, we need to focus on becoming a country where we don’t have to move in with our parents after we graduate. This is what we need right now.

I believe Romney to be a leader: a leader with experience as a successful businessman and a record that proves as much. He’s the one that will get this country back on its feet and will do it with his knowledge and expertise in the area.

Just as any other American, I want what is best for my family, my community and myself. I want us headed in a direction where I won’t have to worry about my future children being able to find work. In these values, I am supported by Romney.

We can make steps in the right direction by embracing same-sex marriage culturally, but right now — Romney is a logically better step toward a brighter future and Obama is a leader who will only continue to falter over his strategically placed rhetoric.

I love my gay friends just as I love my straight friends — know that I am not disrespecting you when I say I am voting for Mitt Romney.

by Anonymousreply 6211/07/2012

nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 111/05/2012

What. An. Asshole.

If I WERE her FB friend, I would be de-friending her pretty darn fast.

by Anonymousreply 211/05/2012

Lauren doesn't realize that she can't control what other people think. Her act may not be deliberate but it's disrespectful just the same, and not merely to gays. It's fuck you to anyone who isn't wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 311/05/2012

A lot of talking point. Lauren clearly doesn't know Mitt's record in MA. I'm not upset that she's voting for Romney. I'm upset that her reasons are based on R campaign talking point and not actual facts.

Besides, we had a businessman in office and he was a complete disaster.

by Anonymousreply 411/05/2012

she's an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 511/05/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 611/05/2012

dumb cunt

by Anonymousreply 711/05/2012

I can't stand when people play the tolerant parent thing. We're supposed to put them on a pedastal because they wouldn't kick the child out of the house. And does she understand the financial implications that are associated with domestic partnerships vs. marriage.

And Romney has taken both sides (surprise, surprise) on "Don't ask..don't tell."

C-word!

by Anonymousreply 811/05/2012

No mention of Romney's possible effect on the Supreme Court, of course, and how that could set back gay rights for a generation.

Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 911/05/2012

Fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1011/05/2012

Exactly R9. She seems pretty short sighted to me.

by Anonymousreply 1111/05/2012

(In my best James Cromwell voice): Whore!

This is perfectly representative of every Young Republican girl I've ever met. Spoon fed from birth with her daddy's bumper sticker mottos, and not a fucking clue how the real world works outside of that middle class, heterosexual white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 1211/05/2012

I understand what she is trying to say but what she is failing to understand is that the Republican Party is not flip flopping on gay rights, they solidly want it shot down so if you keep voting republican then you are agreeing with their platform and electing people who will keep those views alive and well into the future with no change.

If they believed that acceptance will come around eventually for gays then why not apply that same logic to the economy?

There is your real answer.

by Anonymousreply 1311/05/2012

And Republicans are the ONLY demographic group to become MORE hostile to gay equality in the last four years. Her 'working from within the party' is a big flop. She's just not that into gays.

by Anonymousreply 1411/05/2012

Chut a wunt!

by Anonymousreply 1511/05/2012

I came in to say the same thing R9. She is ignoring the direct effect a Romney president has on setting back gay rights. The Supreme Court is going to make real decisions that impact our lives, including on gay rights. If you care about equality you can't justify having Romney be the person appointing those justices to the court for LIFE.

by Anonymousreply 1611/05/2012

I'd like to thank the bitch for her vote and remind her I like extra mayo on my sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 1711/05/2012

And we also all love to eat shit and rape homeless special needs children!

by Anonymousreply 2011/05/2012

ha ha ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 2311/05/2012

FF the Freepert, it posts in every thread.

by Anonymousreply 2411/05/2012

Yes, and I can support scientific fact and at the same time believe that the world is not round. That is how I can support Romney. Your welcome.

by Anonymousreply 2511/05/2012

"Romney may not be in support of equal marriage for all. Just like the majority of Republicans. It takes time. This does not mean I disrespect it."

That's exactly what it means you stupid gash.

by Anonymousreply 2611/05/2012

[quote]Whatever, [R19]. You don't get to parcel out who a law effects

Yes "whatever" aka. GOP debating 101.

Since you're specifically voting for the party AGAINST those laws, then isn't it you who is attempting to parcel out laws? You really are too painfully stupid for words.

Since you're voting against the party that fought for those laws, why would you want to benefit from them? They clearly aren't important enough for you to vote for, so don't use them.

Oh wait, you're a Republican - that's what you do. Selfish, hypocritical douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 2811/05/2012

I found the airhead on Twitter. It is interesting that several of her recent posts include her support for marriage equality. I'm not interested in paging through her tweets but I would guess that there hasn't been anything about marriage equality until very recently when she thought she'd get some attention. I will be that she has never made a single effort about gay issues.

by Anonymousreply 2911/05/2012

Man she is one dumb fucking cunt and so are her alleged gay "friends". Kick that stupid bitch to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 3011/05/2012

This is all you have to know about how much "respect" she is according to her "friends:"

[quote]Dear Democrat friends

'Nuf said. As for R18, let's break that down, shall we?

[quote]It's what many of us here have been trying to scream and tell you.

Dear heart, we *know* what you've been trying to say. But what you've been trying to say is bullshit, just as was Stieritz' letter. It's hand-waving rationalization, devoid of logic or reason. And insulting and patronizing bullshit at that. If you're going to insist on voting for a bigot, then at least have the courage to own that vote.

[quote]Not all of us are libs.

No shit, Sherlock. Some of you are Republicans and some of you are morons. But I repeat myself.

[quote]Many of us are out and proud Republicans and we don't need to be insulted for it.

Yes, actually you do, since the Party you support is directly trying to roll back my fundamental civil rights, both at the state and the national level. And that's not even counting the damaging effects of its horribly misguided economic policies and its dreadful foreign policy. You might have a case if the Republican policies actually made sense or if the party hadn't gone so far off the deep end. But anyone who votes for the party in its current form most definitely needs to apologize for their stupidity and their support for bigotry.

[quote]Deal with it.

Sorry, dear, but if you want to be a moron here at DL, you will get called on it. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 3111/05/2012

Any Republican that mentions Abraham Lincoln and the GOP of 150 years ago in a discussion on civil rights immediately becomes irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2012

Ye, r30.

Anyone gay person who is friends with her clearly has no self respect.

You can vote for George Wallace, sure. Just don't then scratch your head and wonder why you have so few black friends.

DEFINES frau-cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3311/05/2012

[quote]Oh grow up [R19] - Republicans outlawed slavery and brought forth the civil right laws (and the enforcement thereof) to overturn Jim Crow. Should only REPUBLICAN blacks benefit from those laws? Are you an idiot, drunk, or both?

Jesus Christ, if you think you've made a lucid point with the bullshit you just wrote, then in your world, I accept being an idiot.

Lincoln abolished slavery in 1865. The Republicans did not "bring forth civil rights." If they did, people like Strom Thurmond would've remained a Democrat. There's a reason that most black people became Dems and the few black Reps are ridiculed.

Here's a hint: Same reason you are.

by Anonymousreply 3411/05/2012

If black people COULD vote after it was abolished under Lincoln, they would have no doubt VOTED for Republicans *back then* - which would have made sense *back then*. They wouldn't have embraced the Confederates, genius.

The *current* day GOP is no friend to gay people and they *currently* fight AGAINST the civil rights of gay people, so yeah, what a brilliant analogy you came up with, what with most black people *today* NOT supporting the Republicans, despite what Lincoln did almost 150 years ago. Gee, you'd think blacks wouldn't have short memories after only 100 years and simply overlook the fact that the party of Lincoln became the party of segregation.

by Anonymousreply 3511/05/2012

Btw, Lincoln ended slavery for political reasons, it was not his personal preference.

by Anonymousreply 3611/05/2012

LOL.... Is that really the best you can do, R18/21/22/37? You have no answer, no defense, so you lash out instead?

Sorry, dear, but you can F&F all you want and it just won't work. And you'll still face questions you cannot answer and will still be called on your support for bigotry. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 3811/05/2012

R31 is on the mark.

R37 is intoxicated on koolaid.

by Anonymousreply 3911/05/2012

F&F R37.

by Anonymousreply 4011/05/2012

by Anonymousreply 4111/05/2012

Right on R42, can we also add the intestines of all the log cabin assholes into your bonfire?

by Anonymousreply 4211/05/2012

I wish her a back alley abortion performed with a rusty coat hanger.

by Anonymousreply 4311/05/2012

No, her open letter should have been to republicans. I think all moderate republicans should vote for another candidate and let it be known that it is because of their Taliban-inspired social policies.

by Anonymousreply 4411/05/2012

by Anonymousreply 4511/05/2012

She's naive about her party. Maybe she's stupid, but we could still consider looking at her as an improvement. Young Republicans who are pro-marriage equality would be a good thing. Instead of obsessing about how stupid she is, we should take ones like her as potential. What if she could change minds in her party? Or actually get how much some of her people hate us? She's young.

I say glass half full. Ok, maybe glass only a quarter full. But with republicans it's something.

by Anonymousreply 4611/05/2012

But what about the other Republican "values", R47?

Or do you just not care about those?

by Anonymousreply 4711/05/2012

Any woman that votes for romney is a damn idiotic fool

Anyone who votes for him is crazy . If this was the 1960's romney would be against civil rights for black people. He would

by Anonymousreply 4811/05/2012

No, I care about those, R48. I'm just saying... what if this person is a potential ally.

by Anonymousreply 4911/05/2012

Twatwaffle - I unfriend her so fast her arrogant ugly republicunt face would spin

by Anonymousreply 5011/05/2012

But what makes you think she is just because she might be "tolerant" of gay marriage?

by Anonymousreply 5111/05/2012

I chewed the puss filled boils off of Chris Christie's ass.

by Anonymousreply 5211/05/2012

R52.. what makes you so sure she's enemy? A Republican who's "tolerant" of marriage equality.. Try to imagine that as a place to start.

by Anonymousreply 5311/05/2012

whatever.. As you were. It's obviously more fun to eviscerate the cow.

by Anonymousreply 5411/05/2012

The problem with people like the college girl who wrote the piece is that they seem to believe that simply because they write "I love the gays! I have gay friends!" it somehow purifies the entire Republican party. Have they forgotten that the two gay GOP groups, Log Cabin Republicans and GOProud, weren't even welcome at their convention? Have they forgotten that many active members of their party have fought against LGBT rights, either already passed and enacted or in the midst of passing? Have they forgotten that their own candidate met with an anti-gay group -- whose goals include the recriminalization of homosexuality as well as the return to a psychiatric definition of homosexuality as a mental disorder -- and signed a pledge to further their goals?

by Anonymousreply 5611/05/2012

yes. they are idiots. it makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 5711/06/2012

R57 has to go back 70 years to find a slam against the Democratic Party...

On the other hand, you have to go back to Lincoln to find an altruistic act by a Republican...

by Anonymousreply 5811/06/2012

gf

by Anonymousreply 5911/06/2012

R59 apparently ignoring or just blind to all of the crap the Republicans are doing TODAY

by Anonymousreply 6011/06/2012

R61 - you do know that "altruistic" means "with concern for others, selfless"?

by Anonymousreply 6111/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.