Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boy visiting zoo mauled by African wild dogs

How much you want to bet dumbass mom will sue and win?

by Anonymousreply 10211/11/2012

"The child was with his mother visiting the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium. He fell about 11 feet off a railing that his mother had put him on top of to view the animals, police said."

I feel terrible for the child.

Sad human hubris/stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 111/05/2012

Are the dogs from Kenya? Nevermind; they are now.

by Anonymousreply 211/05/2012

I don't hate women R3. I'm a female myself. I would say the same thing if it was a gay man who did this. Give it a rest!

by Anonymousreply 411/05/2012

The mother should be charged with negligence

by Anonymousreply 511/05/2012

To be fair, the boy was still dressed in his Halloween costume, which was a zebra carcass.

by Anonymousreply 611/05/2012

Right, because she hasn't suffered enough to punish her or deter others from doing it again.

by Anonymousreply 711/05/2012

I guess if the dingo eats the baby in front of other people it is ok.

by Anonymousreply 811/05/2012

Meh....thanks for nothing. Tasted like bad chicken.

by Anonymousreply 911/05/2012

Nobody in their right mind would stand a 2-year-old on a railing and not keep a firm grip on him.

Maybe she was training him to be a tightrope walker.

by Anonymousreply 1011/05/2012

I worked at the Bronx Zoo for several seasons. Adults were always seating their children on the railing to see the sea lions, even though there was a ten foot drop. We'd tell them over and over again not to place their children there and they'd blow us off.

by Anonymousreply 1111/05/2012

Some people need signs for everything. In a couple of years some people need 'breath in'/'breath out' signs.

by Anonymousreply 1211/05/2012

1 of the 11 Painted Dogs was shot because it would not move away during the (too late) rescue. The others will NOT be euthanized, thank god.

by Anonymousreply 1311/05/2012

I'm glad the dogs aren't being euthanized. That poor kid did nothing to deserve a mother that careless and stupid. Yikes, what an awful way to die.

by Anonymousreply 1411/05/2012

A ten for artistry. A fallen baby? African Wild Dogs? Pittsburgh? The invoked tableau is working class gorgeous. Truly. But a five for technical difficulty. Allowing gravity and the dogs do all the work, seems, lazy somehow.

by Anonymousreply 1511/05/2012

The moron mother had him STANDING on the railing! Unbelievable stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 1611/05/2012

They were just longing for some solitary company.

by Anonymousreply 1711/05/2012

I'd be an outrage if the zoo had to pay a dime. They have endangered species to look out for, the moron mother better keep her grubby hands of their money. It was a freak accident, the kid bounced twice on the safety net, and he never should've been stood on the railing in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 1811/05/2012

How I do love thee, Mrs. Patrick Ramsey! WW for R15.

by Anonymousreply 1911/05/2012

Why do say that R20? His mother was stupid and careless. The dogs do not deserve to be punished for doing what nature intended.

by Anonymousreply 2111/05/2012

I could be wrong, but I think r20 actually meant r15.

by Anonymousreply 2211/05/2012

No, the WW goes to R8.

by Anonymousreply 2311/05/2012

Well then please explain yourself R20/24.

by Anonymousreply 2511/05/2012

I can't imagine what the mom is going thru. How do you live with yourself for doing some SO stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2611/05/2012

R3 will not allow any word to be spoken against any woman. Bashing males is fine however.

She has stated her boundaries. You know what must be done.

by Anonymousreply 2711/05/2012

They shouldn't even have waited for police.

I don't know why they thought it was best for the police to enter first. Take an offal bucket, ID the alpha and get him/her under control and lure and tranq (if needed) the rest. Then bring in the EMTs.

In fairness, a lot of these workers are young and poorly trained.

He might have already been dead from the fall.

r11, what did you do there?

by Anonymousreply 2811/05/2012

He was dead within minutes, R28. There was no time to locate a bucket of offal or anything else.

The problem wasn't poorly trained zoo workers, it was the idiot mother who picked him up and stood him on the four-foot railing.

by Anonymousreply 2911/05/2012

R14 is right.

by Anonymousreply 3011/05/2012

I didn't mean the workers caused the problem, r29, I meant many are young and inexperienced, with minimal training. That's been an issue in the past with zoos generally.

If he was definitely dead from the fall, I'm sorry they shot the one animal they did--he could've been tranqed.

I hope the zoo had warning signs up the ying so they won't be sued.

Of course, people should know better, but legally that's why they have warning signs not to operate a hair dryer in the bathtub.

by Anonymousreply 3111/05/2012

Why do wwe need DOGS in a zoo? Really we have enough dogs on the streets.

Why do they paint them? I suppose if they run out of zebras or leopards they can paint the dogs with stripes and spots and save the zoo some money.

If there was a group of family members I wonder if they were tempted to jump in to grab the child and try to fend off the dogs until help arrived. It seemed to have arrived in minutes. I realize these are wild animals but would they have been more differential to a united group of larger humans behaving aggressively toward them?

Sad. Sad and stupid.

Maybe they need plexiglass at a child's level so they can see and above the railings since adults can't be trusted to behave safely. I'd probably be too scared to let my child out on the observation deck for fear one would jump up. I don't like wild animals. I barely like hissing cats.

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2012

MARY!@ R32

by Anonymousreply 3311/05/2012

"Pet them, Devon! Pet the puppies!"

by Anonymousreply 3411/05/2012

[quote]He was dead within minutes, [R28]. There was no time to locate a bucket of offal or anything else.

At that point, it sounds like a bucket of offal would have been redundant.

by Anonymousreply 3511/05/2012

He did not die from the fall according to the ME.

by Anonymousreply 3611/05/2012

Another son accidentally killed by his mother.

by Anonymousreply 3711/05/2012

[quote]Why do wwe need DOGS in a zoo? Really we have enough dogs on the streets. Why do they paint them? I suppose if they run out of zebras or leopards they can paint the dogs with stripes and spots and save the zoo some money.

[quote]Sad. Sad and stupid.

Yes, you are [R32]. Please learn to read or at least Google the species. Or perhaps you're trolling.

by Anonymousreply 3811/05/2012

[quote]I realize these are wild animals but would they have been more differential to a united group

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3911/05/2012

No, he didn't die from the fall. He was mauled to death within minutes of landing.

I haven't read anything about his mother diving in after him, either.

by Anonymousreply 4011/05/2012

Here's a clip showing similar situation, but with a much happier ending. Every time I see this, I can't help but be deeply moved by the actions of the large male alpha gorilla.

by Anonymousreply 4111/05/2012

[quote]The problem wasn't poorly trained zoo workers, it was the idiot mother who picked him up and stood him on the four-foot railing.

What on earth was the mother thinking? My heart goes out to the poor child.

by Anonymousreply 4211/05/2012

What was on his iPod?

by Anonymousreply 4311/05/2012

I'll go first: Three Dog Night - Mama Told Me Not to Come

by Anonymousreply 4411/05/2012

LOL @ R44.

by Anonymousreply 4511/05/2012

LOL, R38. Learn to read a joke when you see one.

You mean they don't atually paint the dogs? Well, blimey, I sure need to get out more and do some book learning.

My point about the group of adult humans was that the dogs may have backed off and viewed them as too large a foe. Haven't you ever read that size makes a difference to some attacking animals? They might be willing to attack a small 2 year old but maybe not a group of large humans. And an adult human stands a better chance of fending off the few dogs that didn't back off.

I guess we need to take guns with us to the zoo now.

by Anonymousreply 4611/05/2012

I'm worried about the human race, R46.

About half of the posts on this very thread are riddled with errors in reading comprehension and humor judgment.

by Anonymousreply 4711/05/2012

R14 is NOT awful. The stupidity of that mother is what's awful. I hope if she is ill-advised enough to sue that she doesn't get a dime.

by Anonymousreply 4811/05/2012

r3 is the worst kind of frau.

by Anonymousreply 4911/05/2012

"I haven't read anything about his mother diving in after him, either"

She was on her cellphone.

by Anonymousreply 5011/05/2012

J'adore R44

by Anonymousreply 5111/05/2012

[quote]Another son accidentally killed by his mother.

Yeah. "Accidentally."

The bacon wrapped around his wrists and ankles was a mere coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 5211/05/2012

Ha @ R52 I'm with you on that!!! I often wonder just how "accidental" some of these "accidents" involving children really are.

Will be interesting to see what gets dug up about the parents in the forthcoming weeks... I have a feeling this isn't the end of the story.

by Anonymousreply 5311/05/2012

Did you even see the video? The toddler fell 14 feet, which killed him on impact. Falling 14 feet can kill you.

by Anonymousreply 5411/05/2012

did the dogs eat him whole?

by Anonymousreply 5511/05/2012

It can, R54, but unfortunately it didn't.

by Anonymousreply 5611/05/2012

Pittsburgh Zoo president and CEO Barbara Baker will played by Melissa Leo in the Made for TV Movie.

by Anonymousreply 5711/05/2012

@ R54 the boy did not die from the fall, he hemorrhaged from the wounds that the dogs inflicted. This is per the ME.

by Anonymousreply 5811/05/2012

R28 we're talking about a breed of dogs that pretty much rule the African plains and are known to scare lions away from a a fresh kill, not a rowdy pack of pitbulls here.

by Anonymousreply 5911/05/2012

There was a similar situation as the one in R41's linked video at the Brookfield Zoo in the '90s. A boy fell in and was unconcious. A female gorilla behaved very similarly and carried the child to a door keepers came through.

No, the mother didn't place him up on the railing. He ran ahead of her a climbed up it.

by Anonymousreply 6011/05/2012

What a dumb bitch. Way to put your kid on the railing.

by Anonymousreply 6111/05/2012

[quote] Officials say the child's mother had placed the boy on a wooden rail above the exhibit so he could get a better look at the animals.

by Anonymousreply 6211/05/2012

Maybe the kid was growing up a gayelle and it was the only way to end his suffering.

by Anonymousreply 6311/05/2012

What is the point of R62?

by Anonymousreply 6411/05/2012

R64, that was in response to:

[quote] No, the mother didn't place him up on the railing. He ran ahead of her a climbed up it.

...which isn't true.

by Anonymousreply 6511/05/2012

We told you we wuz hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 6611/05/2012

Of course it isn't true. The railing was 11 feet up. How could the 2y/o boy possibly scale something that high?

by Anonymousreply 6711/05/2012

R65, I think that was referring to the gorilla incident not to the prancing, I mean painted, dogs.

by Anonymousreply 6811/05/2012

Don't be mean to me...

But I feel sorry for the stupid mother. Yep it was absolutely stupid, but she had to witness her child being ripped up by dogs while he is screaming in pain. She's paid in full for the stupidity, and then some.

Until she sues, I will just hope she and anybody who had to witness this will recover somehow.... .. how?, who knows.

r41, thanks for the clip. It did end well for that child.

by Anonymousreply 6911/05/2012

Yes, R68. It was about the Brookfield Zoo incident described in the same post. From the link:

[quote]Ms. Katzen, one of the spokeswomen at the zoo, said she believed that the boy had run ahead of his mother during their visit there but that she did not know how he had been able to get over a railing, three or four feet high, that separates the exhibit from visitors.

I didn't notice the part about the low railing. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 7011/05/2012

She will sue and she will win. That's just how the system works. You act stupid. Someone dies. You blame others. You win.

by Anonymousreply 7111/05/2012

Oh, Christ! I'm having some weird type of flashback!

by Anonymousreply 7211/06/2012

See - it's not just dingoes that eat babies!

by Anonymousreply 7311/06/2012

Picture of the little boy. Cute.

by Anonymousreply 7511/06/2012

[quote] "As a mom, I can’t imagine this tragedy. Your heart stops when your kid skins their knee . . .

Oh get real. Your heart stops for a skinned knee? But I bet you'd lift him up on a railing to see the killer dogs.

[quote] This is not the first lapse in security related to the dogs

Not sure this is a security lapse. It is a brain lapse that's for sure.

Thanks, R70, for the clarification. Nonetheless it said the mother put the child on the railing. In any event why would you let a 2 year old run around like that in a zoo and with the possibility of them climbing anything and running up and sticking their fingers where they shouldn't go? A 2 year old did not climb over a 3 or 4 foot railing unless it was helped up by something or someone.

I have been wary of zoos where they have "natural roaming areas" ever since that tiger or lion got out at the west coast zoo. I don't give a damn about their freedom. I don't want to be lunch for some wild animal.

by Anonymousreply 7611/06/2012

The dogs mauled him? Poor things must've been half starved.

by Anonymousreply 7711/06/2012

Did YOU read the story R54?l He fell into a safety net and then bounced out of it. He did not fall 14 feet to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 7811/06/2012

the medical examiner determined he was alive. the fall didnt kill him.

by Anonymousreply 7911/06/2012

Honestly, how do you all know she didn't push him over? I say investigate just to make sure it was an accident born out of stupidity and not a murder!

by Anonymousreply 8011/06/2012

I bet the dingo ate her baby NOT

by Anonymousreply 8111/06/2012

[quote]Thanks, [R70], for the clarification. Nonetheless it said the mother put the child on the railing.

THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT STORIES ON THIS THREAD. The Brooklyn kid ran ahead of mom and climbed over the fence. The Pittsburgh kid was put on the railing by idiot mama. Is it really that difficult to follow? Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 8211/06/2012

Whoo! Someone needs some Activia!

by Anonymousreply 8311/06/2012

I'm just curious to know what were people's reading comprehension score on the verbal part of the SAT? I'm just curious because with posts like these...

by Anonymousreply 8411/06/2012

[quote]But I feel sorry for the stupid mother. Yep it was absolutely stupid, but she had to witness her child being ripped up by dogs while he is screaming in pain. She's paid in full for the stupidity, and then some.

Babysitter does something stupid that ends up killing child = Prosecution.

Parent does something stupid that ends up killing child = "She's paid in full."

Same thing happens whenever a parent leaves a baby in the back seat to fry.

by Anonymousreply 8511/06/2012

"It could have happened to anybody!"

--

Friends of Elizabeth Derkosh, the mother of the 2-year-old boy who died after falling into the African Painted Dog exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, say they want people to have more compassion regarding what happened at the zoo on Sunday.

Teri Kemp says she’s worked with Derkosh for the past six years, and found out Monday morning that it was Derkosh’s son, Maddox, who was the victim.

“She was due to come into work and she didn’t come in,” said Kemp. “It was a few minutes past and then they called us in the office and I could tell by our bosses’ faces that something extremely bad is going on.”

Kemp says Derkosh is a fantastic mother who lived for her son.

She says Maddox was the only child in the Derkosh home.

“Everything was about him,” Kemp said. “That was her life.”

She says she’s frustrated because people are judging a person they know nothing about.

“Understand that this could have happened to anybody,” Kemp added. “This is not negligence at all.”

In Whitehall on Monday where the Derkosh’s live, family said they didn’t want to say anything about the tragedy. But at the front door, a small toy truck sits next to two bouquets of flowers.

“She adored him,” Kemp said. “She just always talked about him, and we just all have kids. We all are in our 30’s at work, we all would relate to each other.”

by Anonymousreply 8611/06/2012

That should be Brookfield kid not Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 8711/06/2012

Intent matters, R85.

Stabbin' Nanny didn't "do something stupid" that, oops, killed the kids. She murdered them in cold blood.

by Anonymousreply 8811/06/2012

[quote]Babysitter does something stupid that ends up killing child = Prosecution

Did I just read that premeditated homicide is "something stupid?"

by Anonymousreply 8911/06/2012

Are we sure the mother whose child was killed by wild dogs didn't give him a tiny little push to send him on his way? It's hard to fathom such stupidity on her part if there's no motive involved.

by Anonymousreply 9011/06/2012

Yes, we are sure, R90.

by Anonymousreply 9111/06/2012

Okay. I guess you were there and I wasn't, R91.

by Anonymousreply 9211/06/2012

This sounds vaguely like the plot for a Lady Gaga video.

by Anonymousreply 9311/06/2012

Umm...Judge Judy at r88, intent is a major factor, but not the only one.

Manslaughter or criminal negligence causing death are two charges that weigh the catastrophic outcome and the intent.

I agree the poster you responded to is being obtuse (deliberately, I think), but the mother's actions are not clearly non-actionable.

by Anonymousreply 9411/06/2012

It wasn't legitimate mauling.

by Anonymousreply 9511/06/2012

R15: I normally write the Patsy Ramsey posts -- and get pissed off when people impersonate, poorly. This is the first time I've thought, "I wish I'd written that!"

Well done.

by Anonymousreply 9611/06/2012

Well R96, that means I love you, and now I get to love R15 too.

by Anonymousreply 9711/07/2012

I'm really annoyed at the dumb asses that feel sorry for the stupid ass mother.

You can bet that the wheels are already in motion for divorce papers from Jason. He's HOT as hell. What a waste settling for that stupid ho.

by Anonymousreply 9811/10/2012

doggy doo

by Anonymousreply 9911/10/2012

snoopy dog

by Anonymousreply 10011/10/2012

Because, you know, stupid fathers never harm their children, never do anything wrong, never neglect them, never think the kid is another man's child and resent the shit out of the poor thing, never beat the living shit out of sons who look just a tad too feminine and might be gay, or just outright murder them because they're not convenient anymore and the "man" needs to move on to another more receptive vagina.

You know what? Nine times out of ten, men never bother to look after their offspring, so it's pretty much the case that they don't give a shit for them, right?

I mean, whatever warped logic DL is following, the conclusion must be that men who impregnate women don't care about their offspring enough to look after them, so they leave them to their resentful mates who push them into wild dog pits in public view. So, there! Hah!

by Anonymousreply 10111/10/2012

So what are you saying, R101? That the mother is part male as she didn't watch her kid AT ALL? What kind of numb nut would stand her kid at the top of a zoo railing (nevermind the posted sign that said, "No Climbing") and let go of him? I feel sorry for the family and especially the father but not for that stupid bitch.

by Anonymousreply 10211/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.