Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Was Jessica Lange unable to get work after King Kong?

She didn't do anything else until 3 years later.

by Anonymousreply 6201/03/2015

Yes, she said so herself. No one in the industry took her seriously and referred to her dismissively as "King Kong's girlfriend". It is said that's how they introduced her to Baryshnikov when he asked about her at a party: "oh, that's King Kong's girlfriend" to which the dancer allegedly replied (genuinely): "Could I meet this Mr. Kong?"

by Anonymousreply 111/05/2012

I think she is just fine in King Kong considering what the film was. Jeff Bridges and Charles Grodin are both kind of hammy but she certainly wasn't awful. She comes off best of the three.

by Anonymousreply 211/05/2012

She modeled until her next movie role.

by Anonymousreply 311/05/2012

Understand that King Kong was probably on the embarassment scale somewhere between Waterworld and Showgirls. It was bad in a way that bad didn't play in the late 70's.

If Lange wanted a film career [and she did] she had to wait out the silly offers that came into exploit Kongs failure in a tacky way and find a way to get something where she could reposition herself in the business.

She managed to do that which is a testament to her on many levels.

by Anonymousreply 411/05/2012

King Kong was embarrassment to everyone. It's something few people remember and the name Dino De Laurentiis was always a bad sign when a film was produced by him.

With that said, all the actors were terrible. Count the number of times Jeff Bridges runs his hands through his hair.

But Lange was especially awful and she had to say some of the worst dialogue (screenplay by hack Lorenzo Semple jr) ever written. Calling Kong a "Goddamn chauvinist pig ape!" or when Dwan says to Jack "You're an Aries. I can tell, from the shape of your earlobes."

by Anonymousreply 511/05/2012

Hey, those sound like great lines!

by Anonymousreply 611/05/2012

Still better than the literally unwatchable 1986 "King Kong Lives", allegedly a sequel to this.

by Anonymousreply 711/05/2012

It's more amazing to consider how after that start, she made herself into a real actress and forged a career. And nailed some great men, en route.

by Anonymousreply 811/05/2012

I think she had Barishnikov's baby during that three year hiatus.

That King Kong is now a nice remembrance of the twin towers.

by Anonymousreply 911/05/2012

I loved King Kong. As a kid, they played it once a year on NBC, it was like Wizard of Oz levels of anticipation.

by Anonymousreply 1011/05/2012

I saw the 76 version of King Kong on TV when I was about 8 (1980) and even then, I felt it was a bad movie and not as fun as the original. I hated the scene when Kong stepped on those people and their smashed bodies were still twitching.

by Anonymousreply 1111/05/2012

Agreed, R2. She did a good job in a corny movie. But it's still a fun movie, better than the trash that comes out today and isn't fun at all.

by Anonymousreply 1211/05/2012

She got a good review from Pauline Kael, who compared her to Carole Lombard.

by Anonymousreply 1311/05/2012

The 1976 King Kong is still a million times better than Prometheus, Avatar, and the Nolan Batman movies in particular, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 1411/05/2012

Wasn't this the period where she turned down the few offers she got, and took heavy-duty acting lessons?

That took guts, I mean, nobody does that.

by Anonymousreply 1511/05/2012

Was King Kong really that bad? When she won the Golden Globe for AHS, I thought I heard the announcer say she'd won for King Kong too.

by Anonymousreply 1611/05/2012

The name Dwan still must go down as one of the worst names in film history.

by Anonymousreply 1711/05/2012

I usually stop watching after King Kong makes his first appearance, I like that part.

by Anonymousreply 1911/05/2012

hump

by Anonymousreply 2011/05/2012

Jessica Lange is the best American actress today--and has been so since her brilliant performance in "Frances" in 1982. Nominated for Best Actress for that role, she should have won.

Yes, M, Jessica is better than you.

by Anonymousreply 2111/05/2012

R16, it wasn't that bad, it just wasn't exceptionally good.

Those of us who are old enough to remember, King Kong arrived on the heels of a Kong-sized PR blitz, with King Kong merchandise and memorabilia everywhere you turned – posters, trading cards, stickers, t-shirts, lunchboxes, Coca Cola glasses, 7-11 Kong cups, etc. – and Lange, who was being promoted as De Laurentiis' sexy new model-turned-actress discovery, gracing the covers of Time, People, and whatever else was out there. Naturally, there was a backlash against all the hype, and Lange, who played the part of an airhead bimbo all too well, was assumed to be one in real life.

Lange won the Golden Globe for "New Star of the Year". Her male counterpart that year was Arnold Schwarzenegger.

by Anonymousreply 2211/05/2012

[quote]Wasn't this the period where she turned down the few offers she got, and took heavy-duty acting lessons?

Yes, she did. Jessica wanted to be the best that she can be as an actress. Her break-out role was in "The Postman Always Rings Twice"...that's when people started to notice that Jessica can really act.

Now, Jessica is up there along side Meryl Streep as the world's greatest american actresses.

by Anonymousreply 2311/05/2012

Please, please, please do not bait The Streep troll (tm). That asshole ruins every thread on acting.

by Anonymousreply 2411/05/2012

I really liked it. It was never going to be an oscar winning film but I'm not sure it was meant to be.

At least she got work afterwards ...

by Anonymousreply 2511/05/2012

bwahahaha.. love you R24

your comment has made my night!

by Anonymousreply 2611/05/2012

Agree with R24 and R26. Get over your witch obsession, R23.

by Anonymousreply 2711/05/2012

Excuse me, but Meryl Streep is the greatest actress, Jessica only comes in second place!

by Anonymousreply 2811/05/2012

I don't mind the Streep troll. At least his obsession is a great talent, unlike the far more odious Janbot.

by Anonymousreply 2911/05/2012

Jan who?

by Anonymousreply 3111/05/2012

Janet Jackson, r31. You've never heard of the notorious DL Janbot? Count yourself lucky.

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2012

Jessica got Sam Shepard cock while he was in his prime.

She wins.

by Anonymousreply 3311/05/2012

R23 - "Her break-out role was in "The Postman Always Rings Twice""

That was five or six years after King Kong.

by Anonymousreply 3411/05/2012

I summon thee, JANBOT. Return to thy people and defend the sullied name of the QUEEN.

by Anonymousreply 3511/05/2012

I am seriously hating Meryl and her troll.

by Anonymousreply 3711/05/2012

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 3811/05/2012

Why, r37? Because the truth is being told?

by Anonymousreply 3911/05/2012

Cher supposedly turned down the role....can you imagine...it would have been the greatest camp movie ever!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4011/06/2012

[quote]Why, [R37]? Because the truth is being told?

Way to ruin a thread, you dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 4111/06/2012

r40, that would have made this the greatest movie of all times. Oh, what could have been...

by Anonymousreply 4211/06/2012

Cher only turned it down because she was pregnant. She said had she not been she probably would have taken it just to work.

by Anonymousreply 4311/06/2012

You all need to take it down a notch. Glenn wipes the floor with both M and J and there is no reason to raise your voice when you know you're right!

by Anonymousreply 4411/06/2012

Because the film was horrible - just horrible. Only she and the ape had presence.

Not a good career move for either of them.

by Anonymousreply 4511/06/2012

The movie wasn't horrible. It was just overblown and overhyped.

Side note: I think the John Barry score is amazing.

And Jeff Bridges hair was a thing of beauty.

by Anonymousreply 4611/06/2012

Janbot: Jessica Lange is so much more...hm...dangerous than Meryl Streep.

Streep is a carbon copy - albeit, of "everything" - but a copy nonetheless.

Lange is pure, visceral energy.

by Anonymousreply 4711/28/2012

Her next role was as Angelique in All That Jazz. Such a small role though. Does anyone know the story behind that?

by Anonymousreply 4811/28/2012

Some links to a recent interview Jessica Lange did on Jimmy Kimmel where she talks about King Kong.

by Anonymousreply 4911/28/2012

Part 2

by Anonymousreply 5011/28/2012

Part 3

by Anonymousreply 5111/28/2012

Really good edition of Inside The Actor's Studio with Jessica Lange, from about 1996, before the show got too cheesy.

She talks about King Kong, Fosse, Tootsie, Frances, all of that. Worth watching, she is remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 5211/29/2012

R48, Lange and Bob Fosse had been lovers a few years prior to All That Jazz. However, both were married to others (he to Gwen Verdon, she to Paco Grande), and he was a serial womanizer, so the relationship ended. When Fosse got word that Lange was having trouble getting acting gigs that didn't involve her being an airhead bimbo, he cast his former lover as his Angel of Death in ALJ. According to Lange, Fosse wanted to rekindle their romance, but she had already moved on to Mikhail Baryshnikov.

by Anonymousreply 5311/30/2012

Kongs dying ,fading heartbeat scene with Jessica Lange in his eyes is the saddest moment in the film, still gets me, even through all the silliness and bad dialogue , pretty soundtrack to.

by Anonymousreply 5401/02/2015

Fosse never had an affair with Lange. He wanted her but she was too cagey. And then he still cast her in All That Jazz.

by Anonymousreply 5501/02/2015

Also the fact that Fosse was married to Gwen Verdon never stopped him from having affairs.

by Anonymousreply 5601/02/2015

Lange also got good reviews very early in her career for the comedy,"How to Beat the High Co$t of Living." She was able to hold her own with comedic actresses Susan Saint James and Jane Curtain

by Anonymousreply 5701/02/2015

Ha r57 I love that movie. Jane Curtain is one of the great underrated comedic actresses - have we ever discussed this on DL?

And it's got Dabney Coleman, too!

by Anonymousreply 5801/03/2015

You all DO know, don't you, that Meryl Streep was up for the role of the girl in KING KONG that went to Jessica? She didn't get the role because producer Dino di Laurentis thought she wasn't pretty enough. She told the story on Letterman years ago....

by Anonymousreply 5901/03/2015

R59 I totally get that she wasn't thought to be sexy enough, but supposedly he told M she looked like a pig. That I don't get. If he had said she was witchy looking, that I can see.

by Anonymousreply 6001/03/2015

Interesting how M tells that story badly.

by Anonymousreply 6101/03/2015

[quote]Understand that King Kong was probably on the embarassment scale somewhere between Waterworld and Showgirls.

That's utter bullshit....the movie was a pretty big hit for Paramount,tripling its budget. It was the 5th highest grossing film for that year.

by Anonymousreply 6201/03/2015
Need more help? Click Here.