Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Total RipOffs!

What are some things you consider to be total ripoffs?

I just got back from CVS where I bought (because I have to have one) a watch battery. It's the size of three grains of rice and cost me $4.13 with tax. No telling what the cost-per-ounce would work out to be. Cost of materials? I'll guess well under a buck.

RIPOFF!

Another example -- water heaters, again because you have to have one! Now you're lucky if they last longer than ten years, but you are invited to spend even more money for one that says it's guaranteed for 12-years. Fuck this!

My parents had a Rheem model that lasted for 25 years and may have lasted even longer but my parents moved! A standard water heater is just a big tea kettle -- that's it. Old technology. No breakthroughs.

RIPOFF!

Do you have other examples of ripoffs?

by Anonymousreply 10011/09/2012

This thread.

by Anonymousreply 111/04/2012

Not a ripoff, but some advice for you.

I buy my watch batteries from a legit battery Seller on eBay, I get ten Maxell 377 watch batteries for just $5.00, with Free shipping. It's fantastic deal.

I have a lot of different watches, so I need a lot of batteries. I was an avid watch collector and still wear many of the older ones.

I stopped buying watch batteries in drugstores a few years ago. These batteries I buy on eBay are not fakes, they are in the Maxell hologram packaging.

As for stocking up on larger battery sizes, I buy them when they are on sale at Costco, they are fresh for about three years and beyond, so you can stock up if you need extra AAA, AA, C and D batteries, which is what Costco always has in stock.

by Anonymousreply 211/04/2012

Social Security an maybe Medicare. It is just according to how young you are.

by Anonymousreply 311/04/2012

Make your own watch batteries like I do or get a winding watch.

by Anonymousreply 411/04/2012

LOL@R4!

by Anonymousreply 511/04/2012

Eggs 'N Things in Waikiki.

A 45 minute wait and $13 for pancakes and whip cream is little too much even for a tourist trap.

by Anonymousreply 611/04/2012

OP sounds very cheap and very old. Who the fuck bitches about a $4 watch battery? Does it work? Does it last about as long as the last one? Then STFU.

by Anonymousreply 711/04/2012

Cheap, eh.

I say "thrifty."

No, the tiny watch batteries do not seem to last as long as they once did.

Not old, ass wipe.

Drop dead really soon, 'K?

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 811/04/2012

Sounds like you have a system, OP.

If the product is high quality, complain that it costs too much.

If the product is cheap, complain that it is of poor quality.

Repeat until worked into a lather. Rinse thoroughly.

by Anonymousreply 911/04/2012

toner.

by Anonymousreply 1011/04/2012

[quote]OP sounds very cheap and very old.

No kidding.

by Anonymousreply 1111/04/2012

I know this isn't exactly what the OP intended, but the mention of CVS triggers it. Large pharmacy-type stores like Walgreens, Rite Aid, and the like have some outrageous markups for non-pharmacy items.

I can't tell how often I've seen the elderly (with a caretaker/driver, sometimes) doing what amounts to their grocery shopping at these types of establishments. It's weird, especially since a grocery store where the items are much cheaper is in the same shopping plaza or a few blocks up the street. It bugs me so much that I'm tempted to nicely ask why they do their purchases there. They don't look wealthy, but if that's how they shop forr everday stuff, they're paying out the nose.

by Anonymousreply 1211/04/2012

Try one of the Dollar stores. Dollar Tree maybe. You can buy cards of those type batteries for beyond cheap prices. So what if they have a slightly less life. You got many of them. Who knows how old the expensive ones are anyay.

by Anonymousreply 1311/04/2012

Frontline flea products. We are at their mercy.

by Anonymousreply 1411/04/2012

Any athletic shoe.

Cost of materials: approx. $2.00. Cost of labor: nothing, since most manufacturers (especially Nike) use forced child labor.

Retail Cost: $80-$100.00.

Nice work if you can get it.

by Anonymousreply 1511/04/2012

Who wears a watch anymore? Only out of touch people I assume.

by Anonymousreply 1611/04/2012

Old people, R16.

by Anonymousreply 1711/04/2012

I don't know a single person who wears a watch. It's all cell phones now.

by Anonymousreply 1811/04/2012

Ditto on the Eggs n Things in Waikiki

I feel so sorry for tourists seeing this huge line for high priced pancakes. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 1911/04/2012

Anything sold on an infomercial or on HSN or QVC.

Anything endorsed by a paid celebrity (Alex Trebek, Pat Boone, Henry Winkler.)

Health insurance from for-profit companies.

Anything "endorsed" by AARP.

Anything sold by a telemarketer.

by Anonymousreply 2011/04/2012

Printer ink.

by Anonymousreply 2111/04/2012

Re-wetting drops for contact lenses.

Make-up products

by Anonymousreply 2211/04/2012

Whores.

by Anonymousreply 2311/04/2012

Threader floss if you have permanent retainers.

by Anonymousreply 2411/04/2012

[quote]Any athletic shoe.

Why are they all made of shiny plastic now? It's hard to find leather or nylon running shoes with good soles. They're all molded plastic and they're all crap. They seemed designed to last about 3-6 months.

by Anonymousreply 2511/04/2012

There is NO sexual toy which feels like a real mouth on your cock. RIPOFF!!

by Anonymousreply 2611/05/2012

$18 for this thread? Talk about rip offs.

by Anonymousreply 2711/05/2012

Why is OP attempting to value a battery based on its weight?

When I buy a pair of socks I don't do a rich/cheap analysis based on their weight.

by Anonymousreply 2811/05/2012

Beyonce!

by Anonymousreply 2911/05/2012

The speed with which John Travolta removes his towel at the sight of a male masseur.

by Anonymousreply 3011/05/2012

My apartment!

by Anonymousreply 3111/05/2012

Me too, R6 and R19. My last vacation was ruined by Eggs n Things in Waikiki. Something really ought to be done about it.

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2012

That watch battery cost less than 30 cents to make. If you bought the factory in China, OP, you could get it at cost.

by Anonymousreply 3311/05/2012

OP, you have the tool or tools to take the watch apart and insert the battery?

I thought one had to take the watch to a watch shop or dept store to have someone in the know about watches insert a new battery.

by Anonymousreply 3411/05/2012

Ditto on Printer Ink - what's even worse is when you have to buy each color separately. Why does black cost more than cyan?

Why doesn't it allow me to print something in black and white if I am running out of magenta ink? I'm not using magenta.

by Anonymousreply 3511/05/2012

r35

Jesus that drives me nuts. My previous printer didn't do that, so I thought I just didn't RTFM thoroughly enough. (I tend to be a button pusher).

There must be a decent printer that doesn't do that.

by Anonymousreply 3611/05/2012

Watch battery? You have a Timex? Or a Swatch? Either way, not something you should be admitting to in public.

by Anonymousreply 3711/05/2012

Printer ink is CRAZY expensive.

by Anonymousreply 3811/05/2012

I love it when old people complain about cost.

"Why are you spending $25,000" on a car. My house didn't cost that much.

Well because NOW a car COSTS $25,000.

These elder gays forget the computer they paid $2000 for, now sells for only $500.

by Anonymousreply 4011/05/2012

"I don't know a single person who wears a watch. It's all cell phones now."

Lots of male bitches in this thread.

Let me guess, it's mostly a a bunch of obnoxious flyover queens living in shoeboxes in Manhattan, in a one bedroom apartment with four or five roommates.

Get over yourselves.

Tons of people still wear watches,

Cell phones? Give me break, corporations have created a need which was not there and IMHO, the average person doesn't need to be connected 24/7. Cell phones make some people think they are important, they are not. It's just another gadget to fidget with.

I know what I'm talking about, I've worked in advertising for many years. Thanks for making me wealthy!

Why the bitch-fest frenzy because OP wants to save some money? The joke is, he's probably got more money than all the 'big spenders' here combined!

by Anonymousreply 4111/05/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4211/05/2012

[quote]It's the size of three grains of rice and cost me $4.13 with tax. No telling what the cost-per-ounce would work out to be. Cost of materials? I'll guess well under a buck.

Well that would be about a normal markup then. $1 to manufacture, wholesales for $2, retails for $4. Nothing out of the ordinary there. But it's likely quite a bit less than a buck to make.

by Anonymousreply 4311/05/2012

R41 is 7,000 years old.

by Anonymousreply 4411/05/2012

Speaking of tourist traps and rip offs. Sylvia's 'soul food' in harlem.

Poor tourists are bussed in to be ripped off with bad food and high prices.

by Anonymousreply 4511/05/2012

R14;

The active ingredient in FRONTLINE is now off patent and there is a generic sold at Wal-Mart.

My brother who has four dogs alerted me to this.

Like you, he was sick of paying high prices for FRONTLINE.

by Anonymousreply 4611/05/2012

R34 --

All you need is the little screwdriver that comes in any cheap eyeglasses repair kit.

Easy to replace your own watch battery.

by Anonymousreply 4711/05/2012

I disagree with r20, I've gotten a lot of good deals on QVC

by Anonymousreply 4811/05/2012

R41 wrote :

"Why the bitch-fest frenzy because OP wants to save some money? The joke is, he's probably got more money than all the 'big spenders' here combined!"

------

Thanks for the compliment.

No, I am not mad wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, but five years ago I was able to leave the corporate rat race and retire in my late 40s.

I am living proof that you can have only a mediocre salary and still save your way to economic freedom.

To all the younger DLers -- my advice is to save your money till it hurts. Develop a viable retirement plan and a means to achieve it.

Or, blow all your money on silly shit and and work till you drop.

Your choice.

by Anonymousreply 4911/05/2012

Greatest rip-off ever? RAZOR BLADES!

Runners-up:

Rent boys

Chainsaws

Shovels

Lime

by Anonymousreply 5011/05/2012

What's that smell coming from R50's basement?

by Anonymousreply 5111/05/2012

[quote]Greatest rip-off ever? RAZOR BLADES!

Ain't that the truth. Also the brushes for electric toothbrushes.

Actually, I'm English and could therefore fill a page with rip-offs and make your toe nails curl in the process.

We even have a daily TV show dedicated to the subject, from ironically, the BBC.

by Anonymousreply 5211/05/2012

[quote] Try one of the Dollar stores. Dollar Tree maybe

Dollar stores are kept out of certain areas. I've ever lived in an area with a dollar store and would have to travel 45 minutes to get to the nearest one. Then I will be closely followed by two employees, one at either end of the aisle, who are practically sniffing me as if they were bloodhounds.

Then I have to pay cash. "No cleddit! No! No no no no no!"

by Anonymousreply 5311/05/2012

[R53] -- that's an accurate take on "stand alone" ones, but chains like Dollar Tree and Dollar General do take credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 5411/05/2012

I remember hearing that author of Credit Card Nation saying that using your credit card at dollar stores can actually hurt your credit score.

by Anonymousreply 5511/05/2012

I wish we had chain dollar stores. They're not allowed here. Shopowners on zoning boards keep them out.

by Anonymousreply 5611/05/2012

Dollarama seems to be the biggest chain in this neck of the woods.

by Anonymousreply 5711/05/2012

Re appliances, the comments at the end of this short article are interesting.

Many people have noticed that appliances do not last as long as they once did.

RIPOFF!

by Anonymousreply 5811/05/2012

If someone says "Nobody I know wears a watch" it basically means all they know are nobodies.

Real men appreciate a fine timepiece.

by Anonymousreply 5911/05/2012

Thanks, R46, had not heard that. Know not to use Hartz or whatever, has a rep for killing dogs and cats, but will explore the alternatives. We are being overrun by a flea circus here so may have to find the bomb and start over.

On another note, razor blades used to be reasonable -- but have suddenly gone up ridiculously. Toilet paper too!

by Anonymousreply 6011/05/2012

My new winter wool socks were 18 dollars a pair and I could have spent twice that a pair. Once you have worn wool socks nothing else will do.

by Anonymousreply 6111/05/2012

Are they scratchy, R61? I've been wanting to get a pair but...they're so expensive!!

by Anonymousreply 6211/05/2012

You're welcome, R60.

The active ingredient in FRONTLINE is called "fipronil" and the cheaper brand to look for at Wal-Mart is called "Pet Armor Plus."

Of course the longer an insecticide is used the fleas eventually develop mutations to resist it. This is what happened to flea collars.

Fipronil was a boon when it first hit the market, but some people have told me they do not feel it is as effective as it once was.

Hope Pet Armor Plus works for your animals.

by Anonymousreply 6311/05/2012

Bagel Thins at Einstein's, half the size, but the full price. Brugger's makes you buy a regular bagel and then they slice it and throw half away. A small thing, but it bugs me.

by Anonymousreply 6411/05/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6511/05/2012

Here's another one:

Tide Detergent @ 20 BUCKS! What the hell?

People are stealing the shit now.

Black market for detergent!

RIPOFF!

by Anonymousreply 6611/05/2012

Unaccredited for-profit "colleges" that advertise on TV.

by Anonymousreply 6711/05/2012

Timeshares.

by Anonymousreply 6811/05/2012

[68] You win. Best answer of the thread.

by Anonymousreply 6911/05/2012

Timeshares are fine if you use them. Living in Florida, I see them all over and most people enjoy them.

Tide is cheap except the new pods. You're paying for a novelty item. Like the Claritin tablets that dissolve in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 7011/06/2012

American Express.

$55 annual fee. Shitty service. No point.

by Anonymousreply 7111/06/2012

The American Express Black Card, I returned mine

by Anonymousreply 7211/06/2012

R62 No not scratchy although you can find scratchy crude looking socks. I originally bought a lot of new 35 below Canadian made socks for a buck a pair. They lasted for years but need to be replaced. New 35 belows were 35 a pair. Wools socks are comfortable, wick moisture away from feet, dry quickly, provide real cushion.

by Anonymousreply 7311/06/2012

If consumers knew the real markups on most products and goods, they'd realize that almost EVERYTHING is a ripoff!

by Anonymousreply 7411/06/2012

Surprised no one has mentioned Madonna

by Anonymousreply 7511/06/2012

Sylvia Browne books

by Anonymousreply 7611/06/2012

r72

You don't have the affluence to even WORK in a store that would accept a Black

by Anonymousreply 7711/06/2012

I agree about razor blades. I mean, come on, 20 bucks for 4 Fusion blades? That's pretty fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 7811/06/2012

Printer cartridges are a huge ripoff and becoming a bigger one every day as the price increases and the actual volume of ink decreases with each new model.I wanted to check out Consumer Reports and see what the best value was before I bought a new printer but the whole site is locked up unless you're a paying subscriber.

by Anonymousreply 7911/06/2012

Get a laser printer. I'm still going strong on the $10 aftermarket toner cartridge I put in it back in January.

by Anonymousreply 8011/06/2012

I agree about the laser printer, R80, as long as you just need it for black and white printing. I know you can get color laser, but it's more expensive. But the laser is much better than ink for printing documents, and if you don't use it for awhile, you don't have to worry that anything has dried up.

by Anonymousreply 8111/06/2012

[quote]American Express...$55 annual fee. Shitty service. No point.

Agreed that it many cases the annual fees are probably not a good choice, but "shitty service"?

AmEx is one of the few companies that offers reliably good and professional and helpful service, and all very polite and pleasant (from the basic green card to the endless specialty cards with escalating annual fees.) Whether it's a card upgrade, a query, or a problem with a disputed charge, the attention to service is evident.

(Whether that service is worth $55 or $450 is another matter.)

by Anonymousreply 8211/06/2012

Amex Blue has no annual fee. I use it to buy all my electronics because they double the warranty on everything. Saves me money on Applecare!

by Anonymousreply 8311/06/2012

r78

sorry but Fusion blades ROCK and they last me over a month. SO it's worth it. I never have gotten such a close shave and I never get cut by them.

By the way razor blades are the second most counterfeited item sold on the Internet after drugs.

by Anonymousreply 8411/06/2012

Billions are spend on the latest generation of Paxil-like drugs such as Effexor, but they have absolutely no effect on depression, but they rake in in OCEANS of money for the drug companies. It is one of the biggest scams in USA.

by Anonymousreply 8511/06/2012

Effexor is NOT Paxil-like, r85. Do some research.

by Anonymousreply 8611/06/2012

Razor Cartridges

Carpet Cleaning Companies

Realtors

by Anonymousreply 8711/06/2012

Britain has banned Effexor for reimbursement in the national health program because it was found to have no effect better than a placebo.

by Anonymousreply 8811/06/2012

Wool socks are great too, R40, but my favorite socks are cashmere. Pure luxury on my feet. The only problem with cashmere is that it wears out a lot faster than wool if there's any abrasion.

by Anonymousreply 8911/06/2012

Of course, r88. Because Britain has more heavy drinkers and smokers per capita than any other governmental entity on earth -- they self-medicate. I hardly look to them for any sort of serious medical advice.

by Anonymousreply 9011/06/2012

Can anyone here recommend a high quality and ink efficient printer?I bought an HP printer/scanner because I was buying an HP computer at the time but printing a page seems to take up half a cartridge's worth of ink.

by Anonymousreply 9111/07/2012

R91:

Do you prefer an inkjet printer or will a laser printer work for your uses and budget?

I ask because I jumped off the ink-buying train-to-hell several years ago and couldn't be happier.

No more ridiculous ink cartridge prices, no more "printer cancer" (dried out print heads), and no more buying a new one every other year ad nauseam.

Go laser!

by Anonymousreply 9211/07/2012

A water heater costs about $500 for a 2.5 bath home. I don't think that's a ripoff if it lasts 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 9311/07/2012

[quote]By the way razor blades are the second most counterfeited item sold on the Internet after drugs.

And what is a counterfeit razor blade?

by Anonymousreply 9411/07/2012

R93

The last water heater I bought (a 30 gallon gas model) was $165, had a glass-lined (I.e., porcelainized metal) tank, and was warranted for 15 years.

However it does not have quite as much insulation built around the inner tank as the new ones do today, so I bought an aftermarket insulation wrap for $10.

Tell me how this is reasonable.

You must be young or stupid or both.

by Anonymousreply 9511/07/2012

Rep 92.I don't do a whole lot of printing and it's mostly text but I'd like to have the option of printing in full color and in high definition.

by Anonymousreply 9611/07/2012

They make color lasers … that's what I own.

by Anonymousreply 9711/07/2012

About how much does a good quality color laser printer run and can they print photos? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 9811/09/2012

Memberships on some porn sites that then don't work when you key in your code.

The smaller bottles of drink that are kept cold by the cash registers, and are more than double the price per volume of the larger unrefrigerated ones on shelf.

by Anonymousreply 9911/09/2012

Why wouldn't you go with a tankless water heater, OP? I've got one and I love not having to pay to keep water hot when I don't need it.

by Anonymousreply 10011/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.