and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best Supporting Actress for 2012 films

Amy Adams, The Master

Sally Field, Lincoln

Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

Frances McDormand, Promised Land

Helen Mirren, Hitchcock

If Helen Hunt is nominated in this category instead of for Best Actress, she might win. Otherwise it should be a dead heat between Adams and Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 13312/31/2012

Ahem

Madame Raquin, "Therese Raquin"

by Anonymousreply 111/04/2012

People are overestimating "The Master." Amy Adams was completely forgettable...

by Anonymousreply 211/04/2012

Ann Romney, "Pretending to Care"

by Anonymousreply 311/04/2012

r2 is the 'I Hated "The Master" and Want to Pretend Everyone Else Did Too' Troll.

by Anonymousreply 411/04/2012

The Master is widely regarded as "iffy" when it comes to Oscar nods now, r4. You may have loved it, but no one's considering it a shoo-in for anything, Oscar-wise, except for Joaquin Phonix's performance.

by Anonymousreply 511/04/2012

Anne Hathaway isn't going to win for Les Mis. The nomination - if she gets one - will be her prize.

And I adore Mirren and would love to see her nominated, but the Variety review of Hitchcock makes me wonder. She and Hopkins got excellent reviews, but the movie is seen as more of a fun "lark" without any real substance at all.

by Anonymousreply 611/04/2012

I doubt that Helen Hunt would win, even if she manages to snag a nomination. The Oscars are a popularity contest, largely based on who-do-we-like and whose-turn-is-it-this-year.

It's been a decent interval since her last win but everyone hates Helen Hunt and I doubt they'd ever give it to her again.

Hathaway or Adams?

God, that's depressing.

by Anonymousreply 711/04/2012

Barbra Streisand - THE GUILT TRIP (The surprise nominee. Advanced screenings have gotten great reviews, and some are saying it's the best she's been since THE WAY WE WERE.)

Sally Field - LINCOLN (She will be nominated because she's Sally Field and because people are tired of Meryl Streep.)

Anne Hathaway - LES MISERABLES (The only young nominee.)

Frances McDormand - PROMISED LAND (She is well liked and respected by the academy)

Maggie Smith - THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (It might be the last chance to honor one of the best actresses of her generation.)

by Anonymousreply 811/04/2012

"Maggie Smith - THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (It might be the last chance to honor one of the best actresses of her generation.)"

She's already been honored twice before.

by Anonymousreply 911/04/2012

The Master was a terrible movie. I like Amy Adams but she wasn't anything special in it.

by Anonymousreply 1011/04/2012

I understood Hunt was going for supporting but Mirren was going for lead.

by Anonymousreply 1111/04/2012

Do you honestly think Miss Hathaway has a chance? She's only in the first 15 minutes, sings her big number, succumbs to her illness and only returns for the final scene as a ghost dressed in white. Does she stand a chance of winning, let alone a nomination?

by Anonymousreply 1211/04/2012

Having seen Skyfall, I actually wouldn't be shocked if Judi Dench gets nominated for it. Would this be the first time someone gets nominated for performing a role that they've been doing over many films?

I suspect Hitchcock will disappoint, and get no nominations in the process.

The award will ultimately go to Hathaway. She gets her hair cut off, onscreen!

by Anonymousreply 1411/04/2012

Having recently seen The Sessions Helen Hunt should not be nominated for anything. Every time she took her clothes off she shed her Boston accent.

by Anonymousreply 1511/04/2012

Cough

Madame Raquin in "Therese Raquin"

Limited release starts up 28 dec for a reason and that reason would be me bitches.

Just the one person on this thread picked up on that. Just the one.

[quote]Barbra Streisand - THE GUILT TRIP (The surprise nominee. Advanced screenings have gotten great reviews, and some are saying it's the best she's been since THE WAY WE WERE.)

Somebody pour me a bourbon and help me light my Pall Mall because I can't quite stop laughing.

by Anonymousreply 1611/04/2012

"Somebody pour me a bourbon."

Well, really. Are you ever without one?

And how is the FX network treating you dear? Those two oscars are doing wonders for your career. At least Sally did ABC. Nothing funnier than slumming it on a second rate cable network. Even Jimmy gets better gigs!

by Anonymousreply 1711/04/2012

Helen Mirren has already won the Oscar for The Queen, it's going to be Sally Field's year. Everybody loves a comeback!

Anne Hathaway is a dark horse.

by Anonymousreply 1811/04/2012

[quote]Anne Hathaway is a dark horse.

I know dark horses. Dark horses are friends of mine. Anne Hathaway is no dark horse.

by Anonymousreply 1911/04/2012

Annie shaved her head. Watch her walk off with the prize.

by Anonymousreply 2011/04/2012

Sally's got the scenes though...She's got some of those big oscar type speechs...Hathaway only has the susan Boyle song

by Anonymousreply 2111/05/2012

Sally's going to win number three.

Sorry, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2211/05/2012

Does Anne flash her tits? If not, the Academy is going to be telling Sally Field, "Yes, bitch! We really like you!"

by Anonymousreply 2311/05/2012

no tits in Les Miz!!! It's a musical!!!

by Anonymousreply 2411/05/2012

Lincoln is too obviously oscar-baity, like that Sean Penn film All the Kings Men. Then again, War Horse was obvious too and got nominated. So yeah, if Sally has a mad scene she might get it.

It's a pity she couldn't have a telephone scene. Everybody loves those.

by Anonymousreply 2511/05/2012

The reviews of Lincoln have been pretty strong I think.

by Anonymousreply 2611/05/2012

I'm biased, just a big fan of this actress, but she's really talented and any Christmas film with Eric Roberts as the father figures to be freaky.

The film has done okay at some festivals I hear.

I'll nominate Lexi Ainsworth for So This Is Chrsitmas, based on the trailer alone!

by Anonymousreply 2711/05/2012

Sorry, Hathaway won it based on the trailer alone. She shaves her head, sings a famous song and dies a horrible death. Oscar bait overdrive.

by Anonymousreply 2811/05/2012

Allison Janney in Liberal Arts deserves a slot there.

by Anonymousreply 3011/05/2012

This is always the wild card category, so any guesses on nominations other than Hathaway and Adams are shaky. I thought Adams was the most interesting, layered character in "The Master" and was the only one who didn't walk away digesting half the scenery. Her reputation is stellar, she's a no nonsense actor's actor, and its "her turn".

I don't think Les Mis is going to set the world on fire and I also don't think Hathaway is as beloved as her PR team would have you believe.

Sally Field will have speeches, but that's been her wheelhouse for decades now. It will be Not Without My President. If she shows layers of MTL's instability, then a win is possible.

I have no idea what to think of Helen Hunt's chances, my understanding is she is not well liked and the Oscar for AGAIG is more than enough for her.

Jackie Weaver will be nominated for Silver Linings, which is going to be a hit and she'll get swept along.

by Anonymousreply 3111/05/2012

We need to see Amy Adams compete in the lead category. Let's not turn her into Thelma Ritter. She's a beautiful and strong actress -- and should be in a top acting race.

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2012

[quote]Amy Adams, Sally Field, Anne Hathaway, Frances McDormand, Helen Mirren

Really, Datalounge? You guys couldn't find ONE black or Asian actress to add to this list so that my daughter could feel good about herself?

by Anonymousreply 3311/05/2012

[quote]Sally Field will have speeches, but that's been her wheelhouse for decades now. It will be Not Without My President. If she shows layers of MTL's instability, then a win is possible.

Wee little Sally with her all American girl looks and her shrill, overwrought delivery will have nothing on me as Madame Raquin.

I have a multi-layered character trajectory which climaxes in a scene where my character has a stroke.

A stroke riddled character as played by someone with my unique career resurgence trumps Sally "Gidget" Field playing a role which rightfully should have gone straight to Miss Cherry Jones.

Could I be mildly to moderately drunk or otherwise stoned as I type this? Well of course, Bitches, for I am Miss Jessica 'God-damn' Lange after all. I have fans ranging from the age of 12 to 80 at this point in my career and it is all based on my talent.

by Anonymousreply 3411/05/2012

I'm sorry, Sally, but did you starve yourself for months, shave your head and sing one of the most famous songs in musicals while crying your eyes out? No, you just played a crazy old lady; in other words, you played yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3511/18/2012

"Helen Mirren has already won the Oscar for The Queen, it's going to be Sally Field's year. Everybody loves a comeback!"

Since Field has already won two oscars, your statement would make no sense.

However, I understood Mirren was going for lead actress, and Field is extraordinarily good in Lincoln, and fought to get the role (nothing baits oscar more than struggling to get a role and then knocking it out of the park, and Sally does!).

Still, I think there might be another major contender here. Isabelle Huppert in Amour.

by Anonymousreply 3611/18/2012

I loved the brief Eric Roberts detour. J'adore Star 80.

When's a trailer going to be released for Terese Raquin, Ms Lange?

by Anonymousreply 3711/18/2012

[quote]When's a trailer going to be released for Terese Raquin, Ms Lange?

Limited release as of 28 dec and so the trailer will be released, uh, at some point before then. Do I seem like the type who keeps a schedule of p.r. to the extent Anne Hathaway does? Do I? Is that what I seem to you and your poor French spelling? Really?

I find your spelling abhorrent person whose post I am responding to. Abhorrent!

Just as soon as people forget about Gidget I'll swoop in to do what I have to do. I am the only reason as to why the film is opening early in limited release after all. Elizabeth Olsen is no Kate Nelligan but she tried all the same. Poor dear, her sisters weight a collective 95 pounds and are the size of toddlers because they are what is called "little people." It somehow skipped Elizabeth but she might carry the gene.

What fresh mess did R29 type out just then? Am I sobering up? What is that? Someone explain it to me while I try to open up my Wild Turkey bottle please. What is GH? What is that? A new serotonin uptake inhibitor I'm not aware of?

Well.

[quote]Allison Janney in Liberal Arts deserves a slot there

Less competition for me if that winds up being the case. I do so adore Allison, she is six foot two and somehow hangs in there year after year all pretending to be a straight woman who just so happens to actually be that tall and such. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 3811/18/2012

I've always loved Amy Adams until I found out she's a Mormon. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 3911/18/2012

"Sally Field will have speeches, but that's been her wheelhouse for decades now. It will be Not Without My President. If she shows layers of MTL's instability, then a win is possible."

I laughed my ass off at "Not Without My President"

by Anonymousreply 4011/18/2012

There is a good chance that either Amanda Seyfried or Samantha Barks will also be nominated for Les Miz which will hurt Hathaway in this category.

by Anonymousreply 4111/18/2012

I just saw Silver Linings Playbook. I think you have to include Jacki Weaver in the mix. The screening for the SAG Nominating Committee played amazingly well. It will get lots of nominations.

by Anonymousreply 4211/19/2012

How did you get on the SAG nominating commitee r42?

by Anonymousreply 4311/19/2012

It's random, R43. Somehow the computer picked me this year. I've been a member of SAG for over 25 years and never been on the committee before.

by Anonymousreply 4411/19/2012

It'll come down to Hathaway and Field. Hathaway for the win for what she went through physically for the role. She will NOT got away til she wins an Oscar. Just friggin give it to her like they did to Gwyneth, Julia and Natalie and be done with it (though Anne's perf is probably head and shoulders above those three who won for leads).

by Anonymousreply 4511/19/2012

I think with Lincoln, it'll be Sally Fields as a lead. So she will get the Best Actress nomination, and the Black woman who played her aide will get a Best Supporting nomination.

Hathaway is a lock for Best Supporting for Les Miserables. Count on it. Not just the nomination, but the win.

by Anonymousreply 4611/19/2012

there is something cheesy about the Les Miz trailers....I think it could bomb critically.

by Anonymousreply 4711/19/2012

I haven't read anywhere that they are going to campaign Sally for lead.

by Anonymousreply 4811/19/2012

Sally Field is being pushed for Supporting, R46. And it really is a supporting role. No way will she be anything other than supporting.

by Anonymousreply 4911/19/2012

[quote]Hathaway is a lock for Best Supporting for Les Miserables. Count on it. Not just the nomination, but the win.

Have you seen the film r46?

by Anonymousreply 5011/19/2012

Wow, none of you know what you're talking about.

Sally field will win Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 5111/19/2012

Kelly Reilly is also being mentioned for "Flight".

Helena Bonham-Carter is also contending for "Les Miserables".

by Anonymousreply 5311/19/2012

I'd be happy if Jacki Weaver won. Her performance in Silver Lining Playbook is very diferent from the one she gave in Animal Kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 5411/19/2012

The definite nominees: Hathaway Hunt Field

The probable other two nominees (from this group of three): Adams (film not beloved, but she is) Weaver (momentum of her film will help mightily) Barks (great role, big show, and it's the part that wins awards)

The possible-but-less-likely surprises-in-waiting nominees: Dench (she's outstanding, isn't she?) Reuben (lovely performance, but enough time to make impact?) Reilly (too bad she disappears for the last third of the film) Smith, Maggie (never count her out)

Helen Mirren is going for Best Actress, and the size of the role is appropriate for that category. And frankly, it's looking like lead actress is going to be less competitive for a nomination...

by Anonymousreply 5511/19/2012

[qute]Dench (she's outstanding, isn't she?)

No, she isn't. She's always been entirely one-note and boring as M, even to the very end. If she gets a nomination it will solely be a sympathy vote because of her eyesight.

by Anonymousreply 5611/19/2012

And Ms. Reuben is alas no way getting a nomination, seeing as how Kushner and Spielberg have seen to it that she and all the other black actors in the film have NOTHING TO DO.

by Anonymousreply 5711/19/2012

Is the little girl with the impossible name from Beasts of the Southern Wild going to be in the Best Actress or Best Supporting category?

by Anonymousreply 5811/19/2012

Best Actress, R58. If she's nominated, she'll be the youngest ever nominee beating out that New Zealand teen mom who was nominated for Whale Rider.

by Anonymousreply 5911/19/2012

[quote]Sally's got the scenes though...She's got some of those big oscar type speechs...Hathaway only has the susan Boyle song

You obviously don't know the musical, which has been fleshed out for the film version. Fantine does more than just sing and die. She's a self-sacrificing single mother (check), who sells her hair and teeth to pay for her daughter's keep (check); she turns to prostitution to make more ends meet (check), contracts a deadly disease (check); besides the poignant "I Dreamed a Dream," she also has a heart-wrenching arrest scene, and finally an equally heart-wrenching deathbed scene (double check). The part practically screams Oscar! And we all know how the Academy loves a whore with a heart of gold.

She has approximately 20-25 minutes of screentime, which is enough for a supporting role. People who've stated that her part is not big enough have surely been fooled by the recent category frauds of Lead roles being relegated to Supporting for better Oscar chances. In short, a supporting role is a minor part. She doesn't have to be in the entire movie.

by Anonymousreply 6011/19/2012

r60 in the original Broadway production the women who played Fantine wasn't even nominated for a Tony or any other awards...The women who played Cosette and Epoinine were and Epoinine won the Tony so maybe you "obviously don't know the musical" and how it is usually received.

by Anonymousreply 6111/19/2012

oh and r60 needs a "Mary!!"

by Anonymousreply 6211/19/2012

R61, I knew about those Tonys. Michael Maguire's win and Judy Kuhn's nomination puzzled me 'cause Enjolras doesn't do much except for rallying the troops, and Adult Cosette is dull and hardly in it. My personal belief is that Kuhn received the nomination as a consolation prize for "Rags," which opened earlier in the season and flopped though she got good notices.

As for Eponine, I can see why she was nominated and won. She is the only female in the show with considerable more stage time and has a heartfelt solo, a poignant duet, and shares a trio with the lovers, in which she is the odd man out, once again gaining the audience's sympathy. Her part was also beefed up considerably from the book, in which she's a nonentity and is not friends with Marius. In fact, he pretty much ignores her, but in the musical they're buddies. And it's Gavroche who delivers Marius' letter to Cosette though they gave that task to Eponine in the musical. After reading the screenplay, they've incorporated a lot from the novel and Eponine is not a force to be reckoned with like she was on stage. In the end, she is just a lovesick teenager. On film, Hathaway's part packs more of a wallop, for the reasons I stated in my previous post. Thus, the Academy is gonna side with the dying/single mom/prostitute.

by Anonymousreply 6311/19/2012

ok r63...I'm convinced...you made some good points...but we still need to see what the film turns out like...Plus is Hathaway liked enough to win? Will they want to honor the girl who helped screw up the show two years ago?

by Anonymousreply 6411/19/2012

Free blowjobs for all the male Academy members who vote for me!

by Anonymousreply 6511/19/2012

Jennifer Lawrence for lead and Anne Hathaway for supporting. Suddenly, Hollywood is hot again. These chicks actually get people into cinemas, unlike old bags Sally Field, Judi Dench and Helen Mirren. No one, other than the eldergays here, wants to see that.

by Anonymousreply 6611/19/2012

It would be sort of inspiring to see two young fat girls be recognized.

by Anonymousreply 6711/19/2012

Field, lock Smith, very likely Hunt, very likely McDormand, very likely

I tend to think the fifth slot will not go to Adams who is fine, as always, in The Master but the role is not that impressive. This is far from her most impressive work.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fifth slot will go to Kerry Washington for Django Unchained or Pauline Collins for Quartet, Isabelle Huppert in Amour or Kristen Stewart in On the Road.

other contenders: Hathaway Dench Linney Williams DeWitt

also possible: Barks Bonham-Carter Weaver Ehle Stewart Kidman

by Anonymousreply 6811/19/2012

[R63] is right...

Judy Kuhn got nominated as Cosette as a consolation prize for the too-fast demise of "Rags". Adult Cosette is mostly a thankless part. But that year mainly had two big shows ("Les Miz" and "Me and My Girl"), so Adult Cosette got a nomination, and Enjolras was suddenly award bait as well.

Hathaway was considered the best part of this summer's Batman movie, and now she'll have this huge musical at the holidays, where she gets to play a woman who knows no end of suffering. It's a double whammy for her. (And Jennifer Lawrence has the same situation in the lead category.) A nomination is obvious.

by Anonymousreply 6911/19/2012

[quote]Do you honestly think Miss Hathaway has a chance? She's only in the first 15 minutes, sings her big number, succumbs to her illness and only returns for the final scene as a ghost dressed in white. Does she stand a chance of winning, let alone a nomination?

You're right, it's not like Fantine is a juicy role despite it's brevity.

by Anonymousreply 7011/19/2012

Patti Lupone is a man in drag.

by Anonymousreply 7111/19/2012

Sally Field could sweep all four major critics awards and win the Golden Globe. Academy voters will still give the Oscar To Anne They have a history of giving the Supporting actress Oscar to the young actress of the moment.

Since 2000 they have given the Oscar to

Marcia Gay Harden, Jennifer Connelly, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renée Zellweger, Cate Blanchett, Rachel Weisz, Jennifer Hudson, Tilda Swinton, Penélope Cruz, Mo'Nique, Octavia Spencer

With the exception of Melissa Leo, Tilda Swinton and Marcia Gay Harden ALL of the names above were up-coming young actress of the moment.

Also names from the past who won in this category Marisa Tomei, Mira Sorvino, Juliette Binoche, Angelina Jolie etc

Oscar has a consistent track record to deny a previous winner/vet in this category and give it to the young actress of the moment.

So watch for Anne Hathaway to take.

This is not me saying this, but past Oscar's track record.

by Anonymousreply 7211/19/2012

Patti LuPone may be a man in drag but Patti LuPone still has more awards on her mantle than you ever will r71. Let's stay on topic. Take it to the theatre queen threads.

BTW, Hathaway will win, and to bet against her is pretty naive. Never over examine the Oscars. They've been itching to give her an award for years, especially after her dismal affair of hosting with James Franco (his fault, not hers) and she's young, popular, talented and has a phenomenal part that is generally known to be an award-friendly role (yes, Patti LuPone won the Olivier for playing Fantine in the original production).

Not trying to come across as a Les Mis fangurl, I'm just stating the obvious.

by Anonymousreply 7311/19/2012

[quote]With the exception of Melissa Leo, Tilda Swinton and Marcia Gay Harden ALL of the names above were up-coming young actress of the moment.

Mo'Nique and Octavia Spencer were not young when they won the award either. Your theory is flawed.

by Anonymousreply 7411/19/2012

want to add that although Lincoln will win the big prize I'm sure - and quite possibly DDL, the love for Sally Field hasn't been as passionate as people would like to think. She serves her purpose in Lincoln and delivers some nice moments, but ultimately her part feels even smaller than the role of Fantine.

Unless you're Ingrid Bergman, there's no reason in the world for a two-time Best Actress Oscar-winner to be awarded a smaller Oscar late in her career her over a younger actress, previously nominated with no wins, the Academy has been jonesin' to award.

Anne's going to win whether you like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 7511/19/2012

[quote] Mo'Nique and Octavia Spencer were not young when they won the award either.

But they were up-and-coming!

by Anonymousreply 7611/19/2012

Cate Blanchett, CZJ, Mo'Nique and Octavia Spencer were "up-coming young actresses"?

by Anonymousreply 7711/19/2012

Best Supporting Actress really is the gay category isn't it? Where character actresses and quirky types get to shine.

Speaking of Mo'Nique, is she ever going to do a serious film again, or was she playing a variation of herself in Precious? She was tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 7911/19/2012

I think the entire movie was miscast and I can't see any of the actresses in it getting nominated for doodily squat!If they would have done a better job casting the female leads then maybe they would have a chance. But no. I see no Oscars for the females of Les Miz.

by Anonymousreply 8011/19/2012

Samantha Barks could be the surprise challenger and split the vote, especially given that she's a complete newcomer. It depends on her being good in the role, obviously.

Saw her in Cabaret as the youngest Sally ever (19 I believe)- her jadedness seemed ridiculous on a young girl, but overall she was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 8111/19/2012

Nope, oldest nominee is still Gloria Stuart. She was 87.

by Anonymousreply 8511/19/2012

[quote] Is that why Field was passed over for: Murphy's Romance, Steel Magnolias (!), Not Without My Daughter, and Forrest Gump? - While Streep has been nominated for every other role she played?

You're not really comparing Mary Todd Lincoln to any of those characters are you? You may as well have added Mrs. Doubtfire to your list.

BTW, Sally Field had 2 Best Actress Oscars almost 30 years before Meryl finally won her 2nd Best Actress Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 8711/19/2012

[quote] BTW, Sally Field had 2 Best Actress Oscars almost 30 years before Meryl finally won her 2nd Best Actress Oscar.

One of which belonged to Bette Midler for The Rose.

by Anonymousreply 8811/19/2012

[quote]Marcia Gay Harden, Jennifer Connelly, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renée Zellweger, Cate Blanchett, Rachel Weisz, Jennifer Hudson, Tilda Swinton, Penélope Cruz, Mo'Nique, Octavia Spencer

[quote]With the exception of Melissa Leo, Tilda Swinton and Marcia Gay Harden ALL of the names above were up-coming young actress of the moment.

OK, this really bothers me. Zellweger and Blanchett arguably won because they were due, not because of being young and fresh. Renee had been nominated several times as BA, and Blanchett has never really been "young" a la Kate Hudson. She was a serious actress right out of the gate. CZJ and Weisz had been working for a long time and their roles were arguable category fraud. Hudson was a fluke and I'm not even going to comment on Mo'Nique and Spencer.

The only one who fits the bill is Connolly, who was hardly a fresh face. There are actually only a handful of instances where the Oscar has gone to someone early in their career with no back-up reasons - Paltrow, Sorvino, Audrey Hepburn, Paquin, Tomei come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 8911/19/2012

"Is that why Field was passed over for: Murphy's Romance, Steel Magnolias (!), Not Without My Daughter, and Forrest Gump? - While Streep has been nominated for every other role she played?"

Field wasn't particularly good in any of those movies. But she is marvelous in Lincoln. And she had to fight like hell to get cast.

A popular, well loved actress doesn't necessarily get nominated; she has to deliver. And in Lincoln, Field surpasses herself.

I am not predicted that she will certainly win, but I think she is clearly the frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 9011/19/2012

"Sally Field had 2 Best Actress Oscars almost 30 years before Meryl finally won her 2nd Best Actress Oscar"

OMG, you're not seriously trying to sell us Field's career as a bigger accomplishment than Meryl's, are you, r87.

While Meryl was 'waiting', she amassed 12 nominations. Between Field's second win and her upcoming third nomination, she has received how many nominations? ZERO.

But yes, she is more talented than Streep, more beloved, more promising, and more deserving.

I agree !!!

by Anonymousreply 9111/19/2012

If Field wins for a third time, Oscar's all-time greats will be:

Hepburn, Bergman, Nicholson, Streep, and - Sally Field.

Uh Huh.

This is never going to happen, for the above reason alone. It looks wrong, to put it mildly.

by Anonymousreply 9211/19/2012

'The only one who fits the bill is Connolly, who was hardly a fresh face.'

And I even disagree with that statement about her, R89. Connolly was kicking around on the fringes forever, she just never had the luck to be in anything besides bombs. If she wasn't so beautiful she probably wouldn't have had nearly as many chances as she did. Her Oscar was a make-up Oscar for being ignored for REQUIEM FOR A DREAM.

And I can't stand Hathaway, but she'll probably win the Oscar for all of the reasons posters above mentioned. I will love it if it goes to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 9311/19/2012

[quote]CZJ and Weisz had been working for a long time and their roles were arguable category fraud. Hudson was a fluke and I'm not even going to comment on Mo'Nique and Spencer. The only one who fits the bill is Connolly, who was hardly a fresh face.

Actually I'd argue that Connelly is in the same boat as CZJ and Weisz. She won Best Supporting Actress for "A Beautiful Mind" at the Globes and the Oscars. However she was nominated for Best Leading Actress in the same film at the SAG Awards (and lost to Halle Berry). Connelly was the female lead in that movie and you could make just as strong a case to place her in the Leading Actress category as CZJ or Weisz.

by Anonymousreply 9411/19/2012

"This is never going to happen, for the above reason alone. It looks wrong, to put it mildly."

Please, they gave Hilary Swank two Best Actress awards, within a span of just a few years.

by Anonymousreply 9511/19/2012

Why aren't you even going to comment on Mo'nique and Octavia Spencer? Because you're a racist?

Does anyone think Hathaway has an edge because they owe her for hosting?

by Anonymousreply 9611/19/2012

The supporting acting categories were meant for character actors or young actors getting their start, but since the 1980s have been used by big stars as a back door to the Oscar that had eluded them. In Hollywood's heady, big stars would have been mortified to have been nominated in this category. I mean, this is the category where blacks and Asians were awarded.

by Anonymousreply 9711/19/2012

R70 not true. In the beginning, there were only two acting categories -- Best Performance by an Actor and Best Performance by an Actress. It was to award any actor or actress in a movie regardless of the size of their part. After 7 years, people started complaining that the actors/actresses with the most screen time were favored and thus kept winning, so the Academy instituted the supporting category as a way to recognize those with limited screen time, as well.

by Anonymousreply 9811/19/2012

How can Mo'Nique be called "up-and-coming" in "Precious"? She's been in the public eye since 1999 with "Moesha" and "the Parkers." That's more than ten years before "Precious."

by Anonymousreply 9911/19/2012

[quote]Is that why Field was passed over for: Murphy's Romance, Steel Magnolias (!), Not Without My Daughter, and Forrest Gump? - While Streep has been nominated for every other role she played?

Other then Forest Gump Meryl loon, Sally Field wasn't in contention for any of those films.

[quote]I don't doubt Field will be nominated for Lincoln, but it certainly won't be because the Academy can't contain its love for her.

LOL how the Meryl loon thinks it knows how the academy thinks.

[quote]While Meryl was 'waiting', she amassed 12 nominations. Between Field's second win and her upcoming third nomination, she has received how many nominations? ZERO.

At least half of which were filler nods.

[quote]This is never going to happen, for the above reason alone. It looks wrong, to put it mildly.

Oh Meryl loon you really think that the academy actually thinks like this? Hon the current AMPAS makeup is 60 year old white men that came of age in the 70's dear.

[quote]One of which belonged to Bette Midler for The Rose.

Um no. Field was marvelous won ever Oscar precursor that year and the film itself became a cultural phenomenon. Jill Clayburgh was offered the part first but turned it down to do the disastrous "Luna" which she regretted.

[quote]The supporting acting categories were meant for character actors or young actors getting their start, but since the 1980s have been used by big stars as a back door to the Oscar that had eluded them.

Harden and Spencer fit the bill of the steadily working character actors that always worked but didn't get much in the way of acknowledgments. Harden didn't hit any of the precursors but the studio and Ed Harris sent out Pollock screeners very late in the game so her performance was considered fresh. Her speech reflected that and the thundering applause she got when she won showed how well liked and respected she is in the industry.

Mo'Nique's performance was considered the best of the year leading or supporting and she was preordained the winner at Sundance.

by Anonymousreply 10011/19/2012

Streep Loon is going to light herself on fire in front of the Kodak Theater if precious Meryl isn't nominated this year.

by Anonymousreply 10111/19/2012

Meryl has no chance of being nominated. I don't even know why it's necessary to bring her up in this conversation.

by Anonymousreply 10211/19/2012

Sounds as if the MerylLoon doesn't want anyone to approach her wins.

by Anonymousreply 10311/19/2012

[quote]Sounds as if the MerylLoon doesn't want anyone to approach her wins.

That's why I want DDL and/or Field to win. Just to spite Meryl Loon. In fact, if DDL wins, he'll have one over Streep, Jack Nicholson, and Ingrid Bergman, who all have 2 in Lead but 1 in Supporting. DDL's all 3 would be for Lead, which would put him in a league of his own, just behind Kate.

by Anonymousreply 10411/19/2012

I posted this in the other Field thread: the calculus favors Hathaway here. It's not all about whose performance was best.

Lincoln is nearly a lock to take almost all the major awards: Actor, Director, film, screenplay. Field will be nominated as will perhaps Jones and/or one of the other male supportings (Holbrook?).

Hathaway will win for two reasons: the Academy has shied away from complete sweeps for one specific film in recent times, preferring to spread around the honors; and they will need to reward Les Mis, specifically Tom Hooper, if its a great film. No way will he win anything this year just two years after The Kings Speech - plus he's only 40 with years of awards ahead of him. Hathaway will be his proxy.

It will be a bit crowded this year in the supporting category for Barks to get a nom. That slot is reserved for Hathaway for their film. Her time will come though if she's great the Academy won't forget.

by Anonymousreply 10511/19/2012

hollywood reporter round table thingy

by Anonymousreply 10611/19/2012

Can't wait to come back to this thread in January. The Streep troll will blow a gasket. Weaver has no chance for a nomination, let alone a win.

by Anonymousreply 10811/20/2012

If the Streep troll is going this crazy over the possibility of Sally Field matching Streep's Oscar haul, what will it do if, say, Hilary Swank manages to win a third Best Actress trophy making her the only woman other than Kate Hepburn to win Best Actress three or more times?

by Anonymousreply 10911/20/2012

thanks for the link r106. Ive been hearing and reading about Sally's bit from this interview discussing how she had to audition for the Lincoln role, and how DDL went to bat for her. A very nice story. I guess there are still some good guys in Hwood.

Did Amy Adams get hitched to her fiancee? I caught her several times referring to "my husband" in the full clip. when did they get married?

by Anonymousreply 11111/20/2012

Now that mhb is gone, I think if the webmaster would ever allow a vote for which poster the community could ban from the site, it would go hand's down to the MerylLoon.

by Anonymousreply 11211/20/2012

Hilary "Lets party with the dictators and those who commit atrocities against their people!" Swank will never even be nominated again.

by Anonymousreply 11311/20/2012

Really wishing Diane Kruger (Farewell, My Queen) was getting some traction. One of the best performances of the year.

by Anonymousreply 11411/21/2012

The reviews coming out for Les Mis have just killed any chance Sally Field has of winning. The Oscar is Hathaway's.

by Anonymousreply 11511/24/2012

[quote]Hilary "Lets party with the dictators and those who commit atrocities against their people!" Swank will never even be nominated again.

Ok, what if Jodie Foster wins a third Best Actress trophy at some point?

by Anonymousreply 11611/24/2012

Dame Judi Dench for Skyfall.

by Anonymousreply 11711/24/2012

Sally Field just won the NYFC Award. Does that make her the front runner?

by Anonymousreply 11812/03/2012

No, R118. Just ask last year's winner Jessica Chastain.

by Anonymousreply 11912/04/2012

Emma Watson has been racking up nominations lately for Perks of Being a Wallflower, but an Oscar nom seems unlikely. It would be cool, though.

by Anonymousreply 12012/10/2012

Jacki Weaver might be nominated (and good as she is in SLP she'd be considered unworthy) but she won't win.

by Anonymousreply 12112/10/2012

[quote]Jacki Weaver might be nominated (and good as she is in SLP she'd be considered unworthy) but she won't win.

well that made sense....didn't it...

by Anonymousreply 12212/11/2012

[quote]The reviews coming out for Les Mis have just killed any chance Sally Field has of winning. The Oscar is Hathaway's.

What's that, honey? I'm so preoccupied counting all my numerous critics' awards for Best Supporting Actress I didn't hear what you said.

But I bet Annie heard you! She doesn't have many demands on her attention lately.

by Anonymousreply 12312/11/2012

Am also on the SAG Nom Committee this year so was treated to, what I assume, is a little known film... Compliance: Ann Dowd was pretty darn good. Am also on the Dench wagon as well... although her moments in the Bond films are sparse, she always delivers & the resultant payoff is in Skyfall.

by Anonymousreply 12412/11/2012

You all are trippin'. Sally Field will win whether she deserves it or not.

by Anonymousreply 12512/11/2012

r124....Do you get all the screeners or do you go to special screenings?

by Anonymousreply 12612/11/2012

R126, I'm on the Nom Comm, too, and go to screenings as well as watch screeners. I prefer screenings because there are Q&As afterwards with actors and directors.

by Anonymousreply 12712/11/2012

God, you eldergays are all so weirdly, bizarrely racist.

by Anonymousreply 12812/11/2012

The SHOCKING Top 7 finalists for the Academy Award nomination, which will be narrowed to 5. Who will be the unlucky ladies cut from the list?

Amy Adams "The Master"

Judi Dench "Skyfall"

Sally Field "Lincoln"

Anne Hathaway "Les Miserables"

Helen Hunt "The Sessions"

Nicole Kidman "The Paperboy"

Emma Watson "the Perks of Being a Wallflower"

Recently cut were Top 10 contenders:

Maggie Smith "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"

Rachel Weisz "The Deep Blue Sea"

Rachel Weisz "

by Anonymousreply 12912/30/2012

Wisz is leading in The Deep Blue Sea.

by Anonymousreply 13012/30/2012

r129 is making this up. There is no "finalist" list in the acting categories. We won't find out anything until January 10.

by Anonymousreply 13112/30/2012

You can probably remove McDormand from that list now that "Promised Land" has opened to tepid notices.

by Anonymousreply 13212/30/2012

I thought Anne Hathaway was supposed to be over after she hosted the Academy Awards?

by Anonymousreply 13312/31/2012
Need more help? Click Here.