and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best Supporting Actor for 2012 films

Alan Arkin, Argo

Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master

Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

William H. Macy, The Sessions

Matthew McConaughey, Magic Mike

In the end, Philip Seymour Hoffman will win.

by Anonymousreply 4112/30/2012

John Goodman may sneak in for Argo. He has been doing good work in small parts for a long time and is beloved in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 111/04/2012

Hoffman won't win, he got an Oscar fairly recently so he's not getting another any time soon.

It will be Goodman or Macy - both are well liked and have been doing good work for years.

by Anonymousreply 211/04/2012

"Hoffman won't win, he got an Oscar fairly recently so he's not getting another any time soon."

People often win repeat Oscars. Tom Hanks won two back-to-back in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 311/04/2012

Agree with John Goodman. He's great in the film.

Matthew McConaughey? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 411/04/2012

Mm will get nominated for that role he is losing the weight for right now

by Anonymousreply 511/04/2012

R3, people *rarely* win more than one Oscar in an entire career.

Most people who do manage to win more than once win the second one quite a few years later.

Hanks winning two Best Actor Oscars so close together was a freak event.

Hoffman may be the most talented, he may deserve it but he will probably not win again this year.

by Anonymousreply 611/04/2012

[quote][R3], people *rarely* win more than one Oscar in an entire career.

Wow, you don't know what you're talking about at all, do you? The following have all won at least two Academy Awards for acting. There are probably others I've forgotten as well.

1. Gary Cooper

2. Marlon Brando

3. Daniel Day-Lewis

4. Tom Hanks

5. Dustin Hoffman

6. Fredric March

7. Sean Penn

8. Spencer Tracy

9. Robert De Niro

10. Gene Hackman

11. Jack Lemmon

12. Kevin Spacey

13. Denzel Washington

14. Michael Caine

15. Melvyn Douglas

16. Anthony Quinn

17. Jason Robards

18. Peter Ustinov

19. Wallace Beery

20. Katharine Hepburn (4 wins)

21. Bette Davis

22. Olivia de Havilland

23. Sally Field

24. Jane Fonda

25. Jodie Foster

26. Glenda Jackson

27. Vivien Leigh

28. Luise Rainer

29. Hilary Swank

30. Elizabeth Taylor

31. Helen Hayes

32. Jessica Lange

33. Maggie Smith

34. Meryl Streep (3 wins)

35. Dianne Wiest

36. Shelley Winters

37. Ingrid Bergman (3 wins)

by Anonymousreply 711/04/2012

"Hanks winning two Best Actor Oscars so close together was a freak event."

No, it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 811/04/2012

My mistake. Replace "Wallace Beery" at r7 with "Walter Brennan." Beery only won once, but Brennan won twice.

by Anonymousreply 911/04/2012

Sorry girls, I stand by my assessment.

It is rare for any actor to win an Oscar.

It is even more rare for any actor to win more than one.

It is especially rare for any actor to win more than one close to the time he won the first one.

Apparently this upsets you but it's not my fucking fault, I'm not even an Academy voter.

by Anonymousreply 1011/04/2012

[quote]It is especially rare for any actor to win more than one close to the time he won the first one.

And yet more than half (i.e. a full twenty) of the above-named 36 multiple acting winners indeed did win twice in seven years, which would be the time between when Hoffman won for "Capote" and if he wins again this year for "The Master": Penn, Tracy, De Niro, Spacey, Quinn, Robards, Ustinov, Brennan, Hepburn, Davis, De Havilland, Fonda, Foster, Jackson, Rainer, Swank, Taylor, Smith, Streep, Winters.

Now, it may well be that Hoffman does not win for "The Master." But if so, it will not be because of the ridiculous (and easily disproved) reason you provide.

by Anonymousreply 1111/04/2012

McConnaughey no, Goodman yes.

by Anonymousreply 1211/04/2012

Rhe Master? It pretty much was DOA. Does it even have a chance of recouping?

by Anonymousreply 1311/04/2012

When actors are as good and respected as PSH it isn't odd or unlikely for them to win multiple times. He could easily win for The Master and would deserve it. Its odd and rare for winners like Halle Scary, Ghoulia Roberts, Brody, Begnini, GOOP, louise fletcher, the deaf woman, etc where lightning struck once.

by Anonymousreply 1411/04/2012

So weird that Swank is on that list at R7 - she's like an exception to the exception.

by Anonymousreply 1511/04/2012

R7. Actually Brennan won three times.

by Anonymousreply 1611/04/2012

Find some new actors. Boring list.

by Anonymousreply 1711/04/2012

OP, why supporting actor?

There was some discussion (on Deadline, maybe, can't remember) that the campaign would put PSH in the lead category, with Phoenix as supporting.

Most people also clearly favoured Phoenix, didn't really like the movie otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 1811/05/2012

I home somebody pops out of an indie film...this list is dull all old guys who already have awards.

Any possible low profile films coming up?

by Anonymousreply 1911/05/2012

Forget Hoffman, "The Master" is out o fteh running...

Goodman and Arkin a lock as well as Russell Crowe for "Les Miserable"

by Anonymousreply 2011/05/2012

Hoffman in Before The Devil Knows Your Dead is one of the greatest film performances I've seen in many a year. He was scary good in that. He's a hell of an actor.

by Anonymousreply 2111/05/2012

Have no idea how the films are but....maybe Hal Holbrook for Promised Land or Michael Gambon for Quartet coould sneak in

by Anonymousreply 2211/05/2012

[quote]So weird that Swank is on that list at [R7] - she's like an exception to the exception.

Oh Horsehit. For "Boys Don't Cry" Hilary Swank won The Golden Globe, Independent Spirit Award, Los Angeles Film Critics, National Board of Review, New York Film Critics, Toronto Film Critics

and for "Million Dollar Baby" The Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild, Boston Society of Film Critics, Broadcast Film Critics Association, Florida Film Critics and National Society of Film Critics Awards among many.

Her Oscars are not flukes. They are for Best Performance, not Lifetime Achievement. No matter what she does with her career, she earned her Academy Awards with great performances for theses films.

by Anonymousreply 2311/05/2012

If trash like Hilary Swank can win 2 Best Actress Oscars, then you can't begrudge Hoffman a second Oscar in 7 years.

by Anonymousreply 2411/05/2012

[quote]29. Hilary Swank

You've misspelled this one. It should be A-n-n-e-t-t-e B-e-n-i-n-g.

by Anonymousreply 2511/05/2012

Hoffman's performance is not a supporting performance. He is best actor category, as is Phoenix. They will cancel each other out like MacLaine and Bancroft in The Turning Point, or Davis and Crawford in WHTBJ.

by Anonymousreply 2611/05/2012

r26 - and like MacLaine and Winger in 'Terms of Endearment'?

by Anonymousreply 2711/05/2012

DeNiro DiCaprio Hoffman Jones McConaughey

Win will be between DiCaprio and TLJ.

by Anonymousreply 2811/05/2012

r26...Hoffman is being submitted and advertised for Supporting---granted you can't dictate your category for Oscars but you can for SAG awards and Oscars usually follow the Sag category placement.

by Anonymousreply 2911/05/2012

Unfortunately, R26, your perfectly valid logic is not relevant for two decades now. The last time two same gender performers were nominated as leads for the same film was when Sarandon and Davis were for Thelma and Louise 21 years ago. Since then, the evaluation of the Awards industry into this monstrous, independent sub culture, created strict new rules, many of them have nothing to do with the actual content of the films or the performances which are supposedly being celebrated. It’s all about PR game which is being calculated and manipulated so maximize the commercial effect of the awards. (And yes, I know, it was always a cynical system, but since the celebrity oriented media and the blogosphere took over it arrived at a totally different level).

And one of the new unbreakable rules is that a film cannot have more than one lead of each gender. When in doubt, there are guidelines to establish which performer is lead and which is support. It could be about the status of the actors: veteran, established star Washington won as lead while Ethan Hawks was nominated in support although his role as the protagonist in Training Day was much bigger. Sometimes it all about spreading the wealth: Foxx was bound to be nominated as lead for Ray, so he was promoted as support for his lead turn in Collateral that same year while Cruise was promoted as lead for his much smaller role (the previous rule can be applied her too). And off course, social and cultural prejudices are used too. Only last year it was widely assumed Viola Davis should have been competing as supporting since she was playing a black maid, and it was due to Davis’ insistence she wasn’t (she probably should – she would have won). And then there’s Datalounge’s pet case: Ledger was lead for being a top, Gyllenhaal support for being the bottom. Had T&L been released nowadays Sarandon would be promoted as lead, Davis as supporting and both would probably win.

The Master is tricky. Hoffman is somehow probably a bigger name, and he is playing a socially higher ranked character, but he is known (and often nominated accordingly in support) for being a “character actor”, and Phoenix is an established leading name and he does play the clear protagonist. So I’d second R29 and say that Hoffman will be placed in the supporting category. In a perfect world both would be considered as leads (and be nominated).

by Anonymousreply 3011/05/2012

R23, the point is almost everyone else on the two-Oscar list has other standout performances. Swank has two and won for both. She definitely deserved the first, but lightning striking twice is by definition a fluke. If she comes back and gives a few more great performances I'll be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3111/05/2012

I'm starting to sense number three for Robert DeNiro for "Silver Linings". The movie is going to be a crowd pleaser and word of mouth hit. It was Harvey Weinstein behind it, which is always a plus. The same logic rewarding Streep last year will apply - a career capper and its been 30 years since he last won and many consider him to be the greatest living screen actor. Yeah, he's been in a lot of stinkers, but so have Streep and Nicholson.

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2012

Wasn't Kate Winslet supporting for The Reader with SAG, but lead for the Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 3311/05/2012

It will be hard for DiCaprio to get too much momentum after missing SAG (where I expect Jones to win). DiCaprio could win the Globe, but I think whoever wins the BAFTA will end up winning the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3412/30/2012

Seems to me that they'd want to go with Tommy Lee Jones. He's only won once before, and it's for a much more substantial and important film than the one Hoffman is in.

The anti-slavery activist that Jones plays is the sort of role that wins Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 3512/30/2012

Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson both deserve nominations for DJANGO over Leo. Jackson, in particular, is astonishing.

How bizarre would it be if it came down to Tommy Lee Jones for playing an honorable anti-slavery firebrand and Jackson for essentially playing an Uncle Tom?

by Anonymousreply 3612/30/2012

What is this great big fuss over Alan Arkin in "Argo"? I don't get it - it's one of those parts that any one of a thousand actors could've played just as easily...nothin' special there, yet everyone seems content with him being considered a shoo-in. Didn't he already get his make-up oscar for "Little Miss Sunshine"...WTF?

by Anonymousreply 3712/30/2012

I'd like to see Ezra Miller nominated for The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, but that's a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 3812/30/2012

Can someone start a Razzie predication thread? I have a couple of picks for Worst Supporting Actor.

by Anonymousreply 3912/30/2012

Agree! Where the heck is Ezra Miller's name in all the awards hoopla?

by Anonymousreply 4012/30/2012

Homos don't get Oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 4112/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!