and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best Actor nominees for 2012

Bradley Cooper for Silver Linings Playbook

Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln

Anthony Hopkins for Hitchcock

Joaquin Phoenix for The Master

Denzel Washington for Flight

Unless Phoenix does every thing in his power to keep alienating people by badmouthing the Oscars (which he might keep on doing, given his hatred of his own fame that borders on mental illness), he'll win. Otherwise I predict it will go to either Cooper or Day-Lewis (depending on the reviews for their films).

by Anonymousreply 2611/21/2012

Silver Linings Playbook looks like absolute shit and The Master sunk without a trace.

Most likely DDL.

by Anonymousreply 111/04/2012

Joaquin Phoenix might get it since he should have gotten it for "Walk The Line" The Oscars do that sort of thing sometimes.

I think Hopkins and Day-Lewis are going to be the gentlemen to beat because of how Denzel's movie is just almost like a stereotypical Denzel role.

by Anonymousreply 211/04/2012

I'd substitute John Hawkes for Anthony Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 311/04/2012

Bill Murray and John Hawkes will be nominated; Hawkes will likely win, depending on whether the Academy can stomach Day Lewis being the most decorated male actor in Oscar history (no man has won 3 Best Actor Oscars).

by Anonymousreply 411/04/2012

Hawkes in a shoe-in for at least a nomination, and is probably the favorite to win.. I'd be surprised if Cooper got a nomination, though I haven't seen the film yet. They don't like to reward pretty boys, especially for a comedic performance. Lewis, Washington, and Phoenix seem pretty sure things at this point.

How ironic for Lewis if he loses to Hawkes for playing a role similiar to My Left Foot.

by Anonymousreply 511/04/2012

Exciting.

by Anonymousreply 611/04/2012

Hearing Joaquin Phoenix conspicuously and melodramatically pretend he hates being famous is annoying considering he has been riding on his brother's name and has continued to act in major Hollywood movies to this day. He's not exactly J.D. Salinger.

by Anonymousreply 711/04/2012

Please! Bradley Cooper will never ever win an Oscar. And John Hawkes will win - the person playing a handicapped lead always wins.

by Anonymousreply 811/04/2012

Phoenix should have won for Walk the Line - not sure why Reese won....she wasnot that good in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 911/05/2012

Cooper is not in the running.

The only locks at this point are:

John Hawkes

Daniel Day Lewis

Fighting for slots 3,4,5:

Hugh Jackman

Denzel Washington

Philip Seymour Hoffmann

Further down the list:

Joaquin Phoenix

Bill Murray

by Anonymousreply 1011/05/2012

Cooper is in the running. SLP has been a huge audience favorite at festivals and I think will be a word of mouth feel good hit. Lawrence is my front-runner for Best Actress and I have a suspicion it could be DeNiro for Sup Actor, giving him his 3rd on the same rationale of rewarding Streep last year - it has been 30 years since Raging Bull, career capper, etc.

Hawkes will win, he has everything going for him. Dark horses are Denzel and Hopkins. Too soon for DDL. I think Les Mis will be this year's Dreamgirls - tons of hype but won't bring it home.

Caveat is I have no idea how Academy feels about Phoenix's Oscar bashing. George C Scott, brando, Dustin Hoffman have copped similar attitudes and still been nominated/won.

by Anonymousreply 1111/05/2012

Hoffman is being campaigned in Supporting. The movie is clearly about Phoenix's character as the protagonist and how he relates to PSH. The movie begins and ends with him.

by Anonymousreply 1211/05/2012

Denzel is like a black Mel Gibson. All his latest projects are overtly religious crap, but he will get a nod.

by Anonymousreply 1311/05/2012

And the Oscar for Best Actor goes to:

Daniel Day-Lewis for "Lincoln."

Accepting the award for Mr. Day-Lewis is perennial also-ran, Laura Linney.

by Anonymousreply 1411/05/2012

Hugh Jackman is a lock for a nomination. Major role (singing!) in a sure-to-be best pic nominated movie. Plus it's a Tom Hooper film of one of the world's most successful musicals of all time based on one of the world's most famous novels of all time. Hugh is also dearly loved in Hollywood and has never been nominated.

Whatever you feel about Hugh or Les Mis, anyone who doesn't think he's a lock is nuts. Les Mis probably will take the big prize, too.

by Anonymousreply 1511/05/2012

Um, no he's not, R15. The only "locks" at this point are DDL and Hawkes, with Phoenix and Washington in very solid standing. Jackman can join Hopkins, Cooper and several others in the waiting room.

by Anonymousreply 1611/05/2012

R13, which of his movies does that apply to?

by Anonymousreply 1711/05/2012

Hopkins got a good review in Variety for HITCHCOCK, but based on that review it doesn't sound like an Oscar movie. Lots of fun, apparently, but not Oscar-bait.

by Anonymousreply 1811/05/2012

DDL, Hawkes, Washington are locks. Phoenix should be a lock, but he's not beloved in Hollywood - his weirdness could lead to him being a surprise non-nominee (there have been several in Oscar's past; performances everyone thought would be nominated that weren't).

If Jackman does a really good job in Les Miserables, he'll be nominated as a thank you for all his box office clout.

by Anonymousreply 1911/05/2012

The Preacher's Wife, Book of Eli, and Flight r17.

Probably more but I stopped watching his movies after that horrid train thing he did with Travolta. Only saw Flight because I was fascinated by the plane crash aspects.

by Anonymousreply 2011/05/2012

Here you go, r16. I think he's a lock for the 5th nominee. The movie won't be out for 2 months and already it's getting more buzz than many other films. There's no reason for you to not put money down on Jackman getting a nomination.

I'm assuming you don't really follow the Oscar race very much. You certainly don't sound very smart.

by Anonymousreply 2111/05/2012

Phoenix and Washington? Fuck you guys.

by Anonymousreply 2211/05/2012

Actually, R21, I tend the follow the Oscar race rather closely. You're the one who sounds ill-informed. I'm not quite sure you know what a "lock" is. Hugh Jackman is a very good bet for a nomination this year, but he's not a "lock". Daniel Day-Lewis is a "lock" for a nomination (there's no way he's not getting one). Jennifer Lawrence is a "lock" in the distaff category.

Please do some research and try use the terms of prognostication correctly.

by Anonymousreply 2311/05/2012

*to

by Anonymousreply 2411/05/2012

"Plus it's a Tom Hooper film"

Who? You throw that out like he's Spielberg or Scorsese.

by Anonymousreply 2511/05/2012

I know Bradley Cooper is gaining some momentum in this category and I'm sure he'll get a Golden Globe (Comedy) nomination but, having just seen this film, I'm not so sure about an Oscar nomination. I think it's going to be a bit like Shakespeare In Love - the charismatic young actress who shines will walk with the trophy where the (possibly bland) pretty boy lead doesn't get nominated. Especially since there are so many strong contenders for Best Actor this year. I mean, it would be an absolute crime if Cooper was nominated and Joaquin Phoenix wasn't.

To me, Cooper just lacks gravitas. He gives an acceptable performance that never really has a life of its own - playing someone who is bi-polar with a weak grasp on reality, there's very little in the way of fire in his performance. I never felt there was any real danger in Cooper's performance, either to himself or other characters. And the film is constrained by Cooper's limitations as an actor - most of the other performers have to play at a lower, more subdued level because he's just not that intimidating. Weaver and DeNiro do brilliant work but imagine how much more heartbreaking their performances would be if their son, played by Cooper, actually displayed a mental state as unhinged as Phoenix is in The Master? Cooper is like a soft plush toy; the whole movie feels safe because he's just an actor playing a tortured soul, giving a completely soulless performance.

Lawrence, on the other hand, would seem to have no concerns about "acting" like a crazy person and gives a fearless, soulful performance that leaves Cooper in the dust - the only thing holding her back is the script. It works in her advantage anyway; when she goes toe to toe with DeNiro, both he and the film LIGHT UP! and as they inhabit the same frame in a medium shot it becomes abundantly clear who the stars of this film are. And if there is a "coup de theatre" in this film - and I think there is - it relies completely on Lawrence as a performer (and a tiny bit on Russell). That the script is squarely concerned with Cooper's protagonist and not more reasonably concerned with Lawrence in the third act is to its detriment, leaving Silver Linings Playbook to go through the motions of the destiny it seems so certain of from the start. Enjoyable but with a lot of missed opportunities.

Best Actor seems a bit of a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 2611/21/2012
Need more help? Click Here.