Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My partner has a hernia

What can I do to help him feel more comfortable? We are going to the doctor tomorrow. I'm sure they'll suggest surgery, as that seems to be the only real solution from what I've read, but he has no insurance.

He's 47; is normally a pretty tough motherfucker but injured himself ("pulled something") lifting big logs into his woodsplitter after the storm last week. That was a couple of days ago; when he woke up this morning his inner thigh and lower abdomnen were extremely tender to the touch. Now his left nut is slightly swollen as is the area above it. He's in a lot of pain.

WTF can we do to get some relief?

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 2811/07/2012

ER

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 111/04/2012

Yep, ER. Don't wait to get it looked at.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 211/04/2012

no insurance and he was gambling...now it's time to pay.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 311/04/2012

Why does it have to be treated right away? My Mom has had one for a while and it sometimes is painful but her reason for delay is we are trying to get her sister into a nursing home and then my Mom will have the surgery. My 83 year old Mom is surviving.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 411/04/2012

If the hernia cannot be reduced manually (put back into place) by somebody who knows how to properly do it, then he should go to the emergency room now. Entrapped hernias kill. Time lost is bowel lost. An early diagnosis of a strangulated hernia will save thousands of dollars, precious inches of small intestine, and spare him a much more complicated, invasive surgery should the worst happen.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 511/04/2012

and stop playing doctor...this sunds more complicated than a simply hernia. Is there blood discharge? Go to a Dr first to save some...then the ER if it is necessary. Knock off the macho act till he can afford it.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 611/04/2012

So basically a hernia is localized fibromyalgia?

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 711/04/2012

The specific things that worried me about your story are the fact that it has acutely gotten worse and that he is very tender to the touch (it's hard to tell from what you wrote exactly how tender, but, assuming the worst, this could be a very dangerous sign). While the worst probably hasn't happened, the consequences of ignoring it are too dire.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 811/04/2012

Also watch closely for any fever...this would be a sign of infection and a stat trip to the ER. This could be something that can wait or critical...need more info.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 911/04/2012

and so...

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 1011/04/2012

It will be most likely outpatient surgery.

My brother had two hernias fixed recently. He went in at 7:00 am and left at 2:00 pm.

He said it was easy, all things considered.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 1111/04/2012

He needs to go to the ER immediately, there is such a thing as a strangulated hernia, this can be an emergency. I am not kidding. GO TO THE ER NOW

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 1211/04/2012

I think your partner should go to an emergency room.

It they say it is not urgent, then he can have the surgery during one of the upcoming days.

So sorry this happened - how frustrating.

Illustrates how heavy lifting is not a good idea.

I keep trying to tell by 60 yr old friend this about the heavy snow shoveling he does in the winter. Snow shoveling actually kills a god number of men in their 50's and 60's.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 1311/04/2012

I had an umbilical hernia for about 8 months and didn't know I had it. Part of my intestine went through my abdominal muscle and quite often as things went through it, the pain would be horrible because it would get stuck. Only repositioning myself would get it working again. I had no idea what it was and I had no insurance so I couldn't go to the doctor. Millions of Americans are in the same situation financially. I'm lucky I didn't die. Eventually I did go to the doctor, it got too bad, they did surgery and fixed it, then I had to stiff them on the payment because I became unemployed. It all sucks but at least I'm alive.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 1411/04/2012

Was he able to early vote? If not, don't do anything rash until Wednesday!

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 1511/04/2012

Maurice Gibb of the BeeGee's died of a twisted intestine.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 1611/04/2012

Yes, please tell us that you went to the ER! Had a strangulated inguinal (groin) hernia recently. In the ER, they massaged it back into place (reduced it, after painkillers), and told me that I would need the surgery. Had the surgery 8 wks ago, uncomfortable that weekend., but now doing fine. It became strangulated when I took a very constipating pain med. after arm surgery. Things were not "moving." Pain was unbelievable. GOOD LUCK!!!

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 1711/05/2012

"lifting big logs into his woodsplitter"

Is that what y'all call it?

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 1811/05/2012

Try some goji berries!

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 1911/05/2012

Would the OP please check back in!

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 2011/05/2012

Why weren't you hovering over him, reminding him how old he is, OP? My biggest fear is reaching that age where I can't do the stuff I've come to take for granted (like having a 30" waist, being naturally athletic, having an impressive vertical jump).

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 2111/05/2012

Hey, OP here.

Well, I guess I overreacted. It wasn't a hernia, dr said he just pulled a muscle in his groin and it should go away in a few days.

He said dr explained the burning in his testicle was just part of the pulled ligament or strain? HUH?

Not just that but I can't go down on his cock very far with my mouth. It feels good to him about halfway, but if I go further it pushes on something and he feels pain. WTF?

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 2211/06/2012

find the biggest black man you can have him bareback him and all should be pushed back in place call me in the am

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 2311/06/2012

Shake it off, wimp!

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 2411/06/2012

That's so strange as I went to the doctor to see about my hernia and he said, now my hernia has a partner.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 2511/06/2012

I'm waiting to be scheduled for hernia surgery. Have been on the waiting list since August. I can't do a lot of standing and try to move fast through the grocery store so I can get back to sitting again.

OP's partner's symptoms sound like more than just an ordinary hernia.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 2611/06/2012

I'm in love with R18.

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 2711/06/2012

a waiting list for hernia? is this a hernia transplant?

by Guess I'm not gettin any tonight, eitherreply 2811/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.