Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Elizabeth Warren sunny, Scott Brown dour on trail

11/3/12 5:46 PM EDT

BOSTON — Elizabeth Warren campaigned Saturday with the air of a winner, with her surrogates invoking the Kennedy name and alluding to the history-making potential to become the state’s first female senator.

Scott Brown offered a more dour message, lamenting a country “in trouble” and alluding to “dirty tricks” by Democrats willing to do anything to cling to power.

As the two crisscrossed the Bay State Saturday, their closing pitches couldn’t be more different, both in message and in tone.

Warren, who’s now widely expected to win, rallied with civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis and Gov. Deval Patrick.

”We can taste it. Can you taste it?,” Warren said to cheers by the hundreds who gathered at the Reggie Lewis Center in downtown Boston. “Can you smell it? Can you feel it? It’s up to us … Are you ready?”

Speaking before her, Lewis — a historic figure himself as one of the original Freedom Riders who nearly lost his life in Selma, Alabama — argued that electing Warren would rekindle fond memories of Camelot.

“We need a senator from this state in the tradition of John F. Kennedy, in the tradition of [Sen.] Ted Kennedy,” he said. “Vote like you’ve never voted before. Vote for Elizabeth Warren.”

Brown, a first-term Republican who won the seat in a special election two years ago after Kennedy died, said electing Warren would only exacerbate the country’s problems.

“The unemployment numbers have gone up nationally. They’re going up, last three months, locally in Massachusetts. GDP growth is flat. We are in a financial emergency. We are overspending, we are overtaxing, we are taking too much of your hard earned money and bringing it to Washington. We’re in trouble,” Brown said in his opening remarks to supporters.

“Make no mistake about if folks, they want the so-called ‘Kennedy seat’ back. They still refer to it as that. They want to basically have a rubberstamp down there, somebody who will be in lockstep with their party,” he continued.

But Warren appeared more than happy to embrace the Kennedy narrative, even bringing along former Rhode Island Rep. Patrick Kennedy to her events Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 3811/06/2012

Warren is going to win, Brown is going to lose.

by Anonymousreply 111/03/2012

After giving his concession speech, Scott Brown will be accepting consolation blow jobs.

by Anonymousreply 211/03/2012

His Plan B is to go after the other MA Senate seat when Kerry retires.

by Anonymousreply 311/04/2012

R3, Kerry may not be retiring anytime soon, and even if he does, if Brown has the stench of a loser around him, what guarantee does he have that he can win anyway?

by Anonymousreply 411/04/2012

All true, R4, but Scott isn't part of The Real World.

by Anonymousreply 511/04/2012

This will be one of the most delicious victories Tuesday night, if Warren pulls it off. That seat deserves a liberal lioness like her.

I'm hoping she gets assigned to important committees, even as a freshman.

by Anonymousreply 611/04/2012

Anything that will strengthen the Democratic majority in the Senate is much needed. The Senate must remain in Democratic hands to counter the GOP-lead House of Reps. This will be even more important if *shudder* Romney takes the White House. The Senate would be the only thing stopping Romney/Ryan from completely ransacking the government.

by Anonymousreply 711/04/2012

What sucks for him is a US Senate seat is the best job in the world -- almost all the perks of the Presidency, but without the pressure of having the whole thing on you.

To get a little taste of that and then have to leave...

by Anonymousreply 811/04/2012

He can go back to posing nude, then. Everybody wins!

by Anonymousreply 911/04/2012

Wow -- it took until 2012 to get its first female senator? The US is so backwards!

by Anonymousreply 1011/04/2012

R4 - I wouldn't be surprised, if President Obama is re-elected, that John Kerry is asked to be Secretary of State.

by Anonymousreply 1111/04/2012

I hope Obama learned the folly of that type of this thinking from the Napolitano selection, which screwed the pooch for us in AZ.

by Anonymousreply 1211/04/2012

Interesting, r11.

If Kerry does go to State, presumably the loser of the Brown/Warren race (Brown!) could seek that seat.

Has Barney Frank said whether he might still be interested in running for Senate? Or is his retirement a permanent decision?

by Anonymousreply 1311/04/2012

Sooo, it looks like Scott Brown is responsible for a rollback of regulations on Massachusetts compounding pharmacies. Which in turn led to an epidemic of meningitis from tainted steroids.

Tomahawk chop your way out of this one, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1411/04/2012

R13 - I think Barney is out of politics. Its sad, because I was redistricted into his new district. AND THEN HE RETIRED!! I soooo wanted him to be my rep.

If Brown loses, I wouldn't be surprised if he runs for Kerry's seat. My concern if Kerry takes SoS, then we are left with 2 REALLY junior senators. Goodbye to Mass Senate influence.

I would love to see Jim McGovern run for the open Senate spot. He was my Rep prior to redistricting, and he was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 1611/04/2012

[quote]Wow -- it took until 2012 to get its first female senator? The US is so backwards!

Warren would be the first female senator from MA, not the first female senator.

by Anonymousreply 1711/04/2012

Oh, troll r15, we're all familiar with the teabaggers. Jesus, just because you're dumb doesn't mean we all are. The white/racist/homophobic vote is being very carefully counted and accounted for... or in your brilliance, have you not noticed that 96% of blacks and 74% of Latinos are supporting Obama and the democrats? Now go back to freeperville.

by Anonymousreply 1811/04/2012

Barney's my rep, and i wish he'd stay in the game, but he is 72. He deserves some down time.

by Anonymousreply 1911/04/2012

I am thrilled that there is a good chance Elizabeth Warren prevails. I don't send money to politicians very often, but when Ms. Warren's fans, or exploratory committee or whoever started her pre-deciding to run fund, I contributed $25 bucks. I am very impressed at what a focused, enthusiastic campaigner she turned out to be.

by Anonymousreply 2011/04/2012

Brown's problem is that he is in Massachusetts. He is way more moderate than a number of republican senators. I'd gladly replace one of them, like that nitwit Mitch McConnell, with Brown.

by Anonymousreply 2111/04/2012

The Elizabeth Warren campaign is already making plans for a pow wow and victory dance on Tuesday night.

by Anonymousreply 2211/04/2012

r15 = the Concern Troll

by Anonymousreply 2311/04/2012

R23, no that's just a freeper repeating the latest talking point - that all the polls favoring Obama (and Warren) have somehow missed and under-counted white, Christian conservative voters, who form some kind of "silent majority" that we'll all discover come Election Day.

This is based on the premise that:

1) white Christian conservative voters don't own any phones, so they haven't been contacted by polling organizations as part of their samples - therefore, their voices aren't being heard!

2) not only do polling organizations not contact these voters, they also don't feel anything is amiss when they don't show up in their poll samples because polling organizations are made up of liberal eggheads who don't know these voters even exist - like, they don't think anything is amiss when no one identifies as a white evangelical in Ohio.

2) white evangelicals are a growing demographic that is larger in size than suggested by actual census data - like, people keep on talking about how Latinos and Asians are a growing demographic, but really it's aging elderly white conservative voters who are somehow growing in size and number...

And yeah, I totally buy that they comprise a huge unseen force in Massachussetts, that old bastion of the conservative cause.

[End sarcasm.)

As a side note, I'm glad that Warren is pulling ahead. She's sharp and committed, and it's good to see the Mass. Democratic party isn't asleep at the wheel like in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 2411/04/2012

[quote]aging elderly white conservative voters who are somehow growing in size and number...

All those old hippies who became stock brokers...

by Anonymousreply 2511/04/2012

If Kerry doesn't take the SoS position, then Brown is really SOL. What a lauded arrival onto the political scene, only to fizzle out a couple of years later. He even took the time to (have someone ghost) write a memoir, like he was going places.

by Anonymousreply 2611/04/2012

[quote]He even took the time to (have someone ghost) write a memoir, like he was going places.

When he came to LA to sign it, only 35 people showed up.

by Anonymousreply 2711/04/2012

[quote]If Kerry doesn't take the SoS position

Where is this idea coming from? Any particular pundit?

by Anonymousreply 2811/04/2012

It was generally accepted that Kerry really, really wanted SoS in 2009, and I think a lot of us are just assuming he still does. Ultimately it went to Hillary in order to acquiesce her supporters and unify the party. I think she's done a fantastic job, but at the time I thought it was a pretty unfortunate move, because Kerry had been such a loyal and enthusiastic Obama supporter. Like a friend of mine said, if Kerry had campaigned for himself even half as passionately as he did for Obama, he might have been president.

by Anonymousreply 2911/04/2012

Of ALL people involved in politics right now, Elizabeth Warren is the one I'd most like to meet

by Anonymousreply 3011/04/2012

Senator Scott Brown Calls Himself "Bridge" Between Extremes.

by Anonymousreply 3111/05/2012

he's a bridge to nowhere.

Even Greta Van Sustran said on her show last night that she believes S.B. will lose.

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2012

What should we get Senator Warren for Xmas?

by Anonymousreply 3311/05/2012

As polls close in Mass., suspense builds in race for US Senate

11/06/2012 8:56 PMt

By Martin Finucane, Stephanie Ebbert and Mark Arsenault, Globe Staff

Polling places have closed around Massachusetts and the tallying of ballots is beginning, as suspense builds over the outcome of the close, hard-fought race between Republican US Senator Scott Brown and Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren.

The pickup-driving everyman senator, who won a special election in 2010 for the seat vacated by the death of liberal lion Edward M. Kennedy, has faced intense opposition from Warren, a Harvard law professor who has vowed to fight fiercely for a struggling middle class.

With the polls closing at 8 p.m., now comes the moment of truth for the two candidates, who have crisscrossed the state, aired tough TV ads, and tangled in three feisty debates, while spending some $70 million between them.

Voters cast ballots, too, in the race for president. Moments after polls closed, The Associated Press declared President Barack Obama the winner over Mitt Romney here, even though Romney is a former Bay State governor and planned to hold his victory party in Boston tonight.

Voters also had their say on races for Congress, the state Legislature, and other offices, as well as controversial statewide ballot questions.

Many precincts reported long lines and steady turnout this morning as voters turned out despite temperatures that had dropped near freezing overnight. Secretary of State William F. Galvin predicted that as many as 3.2 million people, or about 74 percent of those eligible, could vote by the 8 p.m. poll closing time, surpassing the turnout record set in 2008.

As of 6 p.m., 214,611 people had cast votes in Boston, representing 55.43 percent of registered voters, according to the city. That was more than during the 2008 presidential election when 200,040, or about 52.52 percent, had voted by the same time.

Some political observers have suggested a higher turnout could help Warren. Turnout statewide was much smaller than 74 percent in the 2010 special election, 54 percent, as Brown scored his stunning upset over Democratic Attorney General Martha Coakley.

“I can’t stand that woman,” Brown voter Marie Cahalane said of Warren at the polling place at Temple William Shalom and Charlotte Bloomberg Jewish Community Center in Medford. “She’s angry and belligerent. She just has an edge to her that I don’t think is conciliatory.”

She went on to say that she saw Brown as someone who could help bring divided politicians to the middle.

Gretchen Brown said she supported Warren. “I just always vote for the woman,” she said. “I really think it’s important to have as many Democrats as possible in the Senate because of the general issues of the economy.”

Added her husband, Robert Brown: “I want to keep the Senate Democratic. I’m really concerned about Republicans. I don’t think there’s any substance to their positions, just a lot of rhetoric.”

Wearing his signature barncoat and accompanied by his wife and one of his two daughters, Brown voted in Wrentham around 7:30 a.m. He said he expected the election would have a clear winner by 10 p.m. tonight.

“It’s going to be a close election and I look forward to the results,” Brown told reporters.

Some 200 people were already in line waiting to vote when Brown arrived.

“I’ve never seen it this crowded before,’’ Brown said. “And I’ve been here for 25 years.’’

In Cambridge, Warren cast her vote around 7:45 a.m., accompanied to the polling place by her husband and granddaughter.

“This campaign was never about me,” Warren told reporters after voting. “This campaign was about all of us, about all the people who invested in it, all the people who truly believed that if you got out there and worked together you can make a difference.”

by Anonymousreply 3411/06/2012

US Senate

Elizabeth Warren (D) t52%

Scott Brown (R) t48%

17% Reporting

by Anonymousreply 3511/06/2012

MSNBC just called it for Elizabeth Warren.

by Anonymousreply 3611/06/2012

Senator elect Warren.

by Anonymousreply 3711/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 3811/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!