Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rupert Murdoch: Chris Christie Must 'Re-Declare' For Mitt Romney 'Or Take Blame'

Publishing titan Rupert Murdoch sent New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie what appeared to be a warning message on Friday, telling Christie to reaffirm his support for Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney "or take blame for next four dire years."

by Anonymousreply 6211/20/2012

Christie knows what he's doing. Obama wins, Christie gets gastric bypass and in four years he's the President.

Stunning piece of political triangulation.

by Anonymousreply 111/03/2012

Like anyone would care. Have these conservatives even heard of "veiled" threats anymore? The threaten the electorate, each other, it's just another example of how out of touch they are.

I really am surprised that anyone could support these corrupt liars, from Murdoch to Romney.

by Anonymousreply 211/03/2012

Out of the way, fat man.

by Anonymousreply 311/03/2012

LOL, irrelevance is not pretty, huh Rupert?

by Anonymousreply 411/03/2012

How many times over have YOU poisoned the gene pool, r4? I'm still RELEVANT and will be long after you're pushing up daisies, I reckon!

by Anonymousreply 511/03/2012

I guess Murdoch very well.

Christie does not take kindly to threats.

You might as well get between him and cheeseburger.

Dangerous territory.

by Anonymousreply 611/03/2012

Could this be Christie's first steps out of the Republican closet?

Could the big fella be getting ready to be a Democrat?

by Anonymousreply 711/03/2012

I guess we know Romney has lost if they're already picking their scapegoats.

by Anonymousreply 811/03/2012

When Chris Christie told off Fox and friends, for a moment, I wanted him.

Is that so wrong?

by Anonymousreply 1011/03/2012

[quote] Last night I was talking to some folks who decisively claimed Obama was toast, yes, they are republicans or libertarians. When I mentioned his slight lead in the electoral college they claimed it was made up by the "mainstream media" and that Romney will win by a landslide.

You need to get smarter friends.

by Anonymousreply 1111/03/2012

Christie showed himself to be a leader more concerned with all the people in his state, and not his self-serving party. It was a fine example of what a "public servant" is supposed to do. So different from those vile Repugs in Congress like Boener, McConnell and Cantor, who only care about their own power. What do they ever do for their own people. I wonder if,given the same situation in their own states, they would've done anything but blame the President even had he shown up on their doorstep with an army of helpers and a bag of cash!

by Anonymousreply 1211/03/2012

[quote]Christie showed himself to be a leader more concerned with all the people in his state, and not his self-serving party. It was a fine example of what a "public servant" is supposed to do.

Which means he will probably never get GOP backing for a presidential race.

by Anonymousreply 1311/03/2012

It's too obvious that they know they've lost this one. Where is Newt? McCain? Any of the other Republican nominees of the past who've indorsed Romney instead? Why aren't they on the road for Romney these last few days? They showed a list of surrogates working on behalf of Romney and out of the six, the only recognizable one was Condi Rice. That's the best they could do?

Palin, Newt, McCain are all on FOX, fussing about the "cover-up" in Libya instead. They know it's over and they're getting ready to lay blame as to why. It will be the mainstream media, Christie and Hurricane Sandy come Wednesday morning.

by Anonymousreply 1411/03/2012

R9, you and your fellow freepers are headed for a big disappointment on Tuesday.

The President is going to win by a much bigger margin than a lot of people realize. His lead in the electoral college is not "slim" by any stretch of the imagination.

As of today (Nov. 3rd) the President is predicted to get 305.3 electoral votes, with Romney predicted to get 232.7 electoral votes.

Now, in political terms, this is what we call getting your ass handed to you or A LANDSLIDE. Please dress appropriately on November sixth.

by Anonymousreply 1511/03/2012

I know R11. It gets tiresome when they bring up politics. They were shrieking about Obama promising billions of "our" money to NY for the storm. **sigh**

by Anonymousreply 1611/03/2012

[quote]Out of the way, fat man.

Hilary @ R3 - no, [bold]you[/bold] get out of the way, lady!

by Anonymousreply 1711/03/2012

Hey Rupe at r5, someone with your useless kids should not talk about a gene pool.

by Anonymousreply 1811/03/2012

Right...because Christie is someone who responds well to empty threats by a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 1911/03/2012

Rupert Murdoch is a nobody, R19?

[quote]Hey Rupe at [R5], someone with your useless kids should not talk about a gene pool.

Just wait 'til his half Chinese progeny come of age and finish college. Their Tiger Mother Wendi Deng will see to it that the empire is theers, all theirs!

by Anonymousreply 2011/03/2012

Well this pretty much announces that Romney is lost. They would be making statements like this if he had a chance in hell.

by Anonymousreply 2111/03/2012

Every penny a billionaire pays in taxes will be Christi's fault. Each time a member of the peasant classes buys their own home, blame Christie. If an impoverished woman gets an abortion, you-know-who will be to blame, and should she instead choose to have the child, it will be Christie's fault if that child survives infancy.

by Anonymousreply 2211/03/2012

R9, your money? Where do you live? Let me guess, a state that pays less in taxes than NY...

by Anonymousreply 2311/03/2012

Can't Rupert Murdoch just die already?

And R23, what are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 2411/03/2012

Rupert Murdoch is irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 2511/03/2012

Isn't it a rich a man not even born in this country trying to control our Presidential election. He came and paid to have broadcast laws changed for himself. Rupert Murdoch is a Cancer on America and Freedom .

by Anonymousreply 2611/03/2012

Rupert Murdoch must fuck off and die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 2711/03/2012

R13 has just stated the obvious. I think there may be more moderates like Christie, who would love for the party to return from the brink. Their problem is getting nominated and elected. There are these tea party nuts who are crazed about any spending. Then there are the religious nuts, who want to govern everyone's private life. Repubs need some of both to win and they are just insane. And types like Karl Rove continue to push far right to try to engage people like that. Any move to the center would result in a 3rd party where repubs would lose anyway.

As far as Murdoch, it doesn't surprise me. I was concerned about this type of talk earlier, but Christie still has a state to run and can't be shitting all over Obama publicly and then try to work with him.

by Anonymousreply 2811/03/2012

Chris Christie is my Governor and I've loathed him 99% of the time. But, surprisingly, this 1% was magnificent. This is what a real public servant should do. Put petty politics aside and get to the business of running the state. Having said that, I don't want a GOPer as Governor anymore but I think he just won his second term.

by Anonymousreply 2911/03/2012

I am enjoying the fear and panic in republicunts. They are bigger drama queens than anyone on RuPaul's Drag Show: "the end of the world," "you take ALL the blame."

by Anonymousreply 3011/03/2012

It's a sad commentary on the GOP when Dubya is seen as a moderate in comparison with the new crop of teabagging douches.

by Anonymousreply 3111/03/2012

Chris Christie, the REAL October Surprise.

by Anonymousreply 3211/03/2012

Didn't Condi actually pull out on campaigning for Romney in these past few weeks? I heard she was pissed about the Benghazi shit they pulled.

by Anonymousreply 3311/03/2012

I wonder if Christie plans on a little party change. Really, I am surprised this hasn't happened on a widespread scale yet: You become a major player in the Republican party. You do everything you can to get yourself known on a national scale. You play all their dirty games and become a pillar in their platform. Then, you wait for just the right moment to switch, to say, "I love my party but I love my country more. And I can't stomach my party's political machinations anymore. They don't care about the average person, just the rich who can help make them rich. This is why I am declaring myself a Democrat."

If you are powerful enough, you may even be able to sway a few other moderately powerful people to switch. This gives you a solid foundation to make a run for president.

I could see this idea appealing to some power-hungry politicians. If done on a wide scale, it could change party politics for generations. We're not talking about an Arlen Specter Republican, we're talking about a majorly conservative Republican here. Think of the implications.

by Anonymousreply 3411/03/2012

Christie will never get the Republican nomination in 2016 now. They'll never forgive him for working with Obama. And isn't he pro-choice, too?

I can see him running for Frank Lautenberg's senate seat and winning.

by Anonymousreply 3511/03/2012

[quote] Christie showed himself to be a leader more concerned with all the people in his state, and not his self-serving party. It was a fine example of what a "public servant" is supposed to do.

You are right. His state has billions of dollars worth of damage. People have died and the other repugs are acting like school children. WTF is wrong with them? Did they not see any of the pictures of a hurricane ravaged New Jersey?

by Anonymousreply 3611/03/2012

[quote] Palin, Newt, McCain are all on FOX, fussing about the "cover-up" in Libya instead.

I wonder if they all get a morning e-mail telling them to complain about the same thing. And honestly, no one gives a shit about Libya. I don't know who they think they are complaining to.

by Anonymousreply 3711/03/2012

Earlier this afternoon I watched a live broadcast of Christie's press conference at Little Ferry on the local cable news channel.

Again thanked the president, mentioned he was on the phone with him earlier in the day, said he (Christie) brought up about a half dozen concerns, and declared the the president got on it and handled them all.

It was way obvious that behind Christie on the right in large letters were the letters FEMA, which were (IIRC) on the plane behind him, and which were visible throughout his entire speech and the following Q&A.

I'm sure his podium was deliberately put there to demonstrate his support for both the agency and the administration.

by Anonymousreply 3811/03/2012

r15, I've been telling peoplem it's going to be an Obama landslide. I still think so.

Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, et al. are pushing the "WE KNOW it's a Romney landslide" lie for days.

And their true believers don't ask for evidence.

by Anonymousreply 3911/03/2012

That's one thing I don't get R12. Don't these elected officials have a constituency to answer to?

The Republicans have completely done away with any appearance of caring about the people they represent. Their only concern is keeping their corporate masters happy, so that they can retain and increase their money and power.

How do people keep voting for them and putting them in office?

by Anonymousreply 4011/03/2012

[quote]Christie knows what he's doing. Obama wins, Christie gets gastric bypass and in four years he's the President.

Will it be covered by Obamacare?

by Anonymousreply 4111/03/2012

Christie is playing this brilliantly, though he looked a bit terrified the first day.

It's always best to be seen with the winner, and how old is rupert murdoch anyways? Will he be around for the next election? Perhaps not.

by Anonymousreply 4211/03/2012

Amazingly, with all the focus on Murdoch's British business and scandals associated with it, and his being well-known as Australian, he nevertheless has been a naturalized American citizen since 1985. Little prissy sonny Murdoch also is a naturalized American.

I guess we're stuck with these assholes, and he can go ahead and give Trump a run for being the foulest most arrogant right-wing corporate monster in our sweet land.

Christie is just admitting that it's over for Romney and that no one on the East Coast likes the two-faced pisspot anyway. Nothing Christie could have done would have made any difference to Romney's chances New Jersey or any state adjacent to it. And no one outside the region gives a shit about the fat fuck or what he does, except for the bets going on proof finally emerging that he actually had a heart because of the event of its exploding.

by Anonymousreply 4311/03/2012

FWIW - My Republican leading family loves Christie. I loathe him.

But he's been amazing this past week. More than Bloomberg and even Cuomo. I think he has single handedly killed Romney's campaign.

But I still want Cory Booker to challenge him, and smoke him out. Christie may have national dreams - but Booker deserves the attention.

by Anonymousreply 4411/04/2012

btw, has Rupert Murdoch become an American citizen?

If not exact how does this old rich foreign thug have so much power over American politicians?

by Anonymousreply 4511/04/2012

He may be 85, but he'll be around for another decade at least. His matriarchal mother Dame Elizabeth Murdoch is 103 and still going strong. She broke her leg last month, but is powering on.

by Anonymousreply 4611/04/2012

Masks are sliding off left and right. It's like on the classical 'V' series where the aliens are no longer afraid hiding behind their human suit, because they conquered the human race (so why should they still keep up the silly charade of being nice aliens?) after all.

by Anonymousreply 4711/04/2012

[quote]But I still want Cory Booker to challenge him, and smoke him out. Christie may have national dreams - but Booker deserves the attention.

Sorry, but as someone who's worked in Newark since the early 1980s, I'm not enthused about Booker being governor of NJ.

As mayor, Booker is a great PR person for the city and an excellent orator. But his administrative skills leave quite a lot to be desired. (Why do you think his city council members can't stand him? And there's been a growing discontent with him from the city's residents as well.)

NJ would be better off with Dick Cody as governor again - or perhaps even Chris Bollwage.

And Newark would be better served with Ron Rice as mayor - someone who's a real progressive thinking person.

by Anonymousreply 4811/04/2012

Blowhard Chris Christie was on the news earlier today. Some reporter asked him about his support for Romney, he said he supported Romney, he raised "millions" for him and that he WILL be voting for Romney and basically said his support has not waned because of his welcoming the president.

In a nutshell, Christie's answer to the reporter's question, which I'm sure the reporter was probably a GOP plant or even worked for a Murdoch publication, was: because Christie was getting along with President Obama and praised his relief efforts, that did not mean he wouldn't be voting for Romney.

After he announced this, the New Jersey residents in attendance, loudly clapped.

This proves, despite the help from Obama and the fact that Romney has already stated that he wants to dismantle FEMA, these idiots, many who who just lost their homes, would STILL vote for Romney.

Willfully ignorant idiots deserve everything which just happened to them, what damn morons.

by Anonymousreply 4911/04/2012

The crowd didn't applaud when Christie said he still supported Romney and would be voting for him. They didn't respond to any reference to Romney. The crowd applauded Christie for his remarks about the resiliency of the people of New Jersey. Christie sounded more like an old school Democrat. I like him. And I don't think he's interested in any national office right now. In 2016 he will be able to write his own ticket. Right now, he knows that working with Obama is good for his state and the people who need all the help he can ge them.. Call me naive but I really believe he is putting people before politics.

by Anonymousreply 5011/04/2012

As r49 noted, r50, Christie cravenly declared TODAY that he still thinks Romney is the better man for the Presidency.

Maybe he needs to hear Mitt's FEMA remark again.

by Anonymousreply 5111/04/2012

[quote]When Chris Christie told off Fox and friends, for a moment, I wanted him.

Batter and deep-fry yourself, then see how quickly he takes you up on it.

by Anonymousreply 5211/04/2012

That re-endorsement of Romney was luke warm, r51. What else is he going to say? He knows he's being lined up as scapegoat number one when Romney loses. I got the impression that he doesn't really give a shit what anyone other than the people of Jersey thinks of him right now. And I really like him for it.

by Anonymousreply 5311/04/2012

I don't know how anyone who knows anything of this grotesque mofo's views can "like" him.

If showing up for work in a crisis gives one a get-out-of-jail free card for life, then I guess we all ought to be cheering on Guiliani.

by Anonymousreply 5411/04/2012

Well I'm glad Christie's handling the Sandy disaster well, but that doesn't invalidate everything else he's done as governor: cut taxes for millionaires, cut social spending, is against raising minimum wage, the scandal with the Hudson River project, and handed out a record number of corporate handouts. Also he vetoed the same sex marriage bill that passed both houses of the legislature. He may be doing a good job on Sandy, but he's still a major asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5511/04/2012

Since you are an expert on all things Christie, r54, perhaps you could use this time to educate and enlighten those of us who are woefully uninformed. I'm afraid the term "grotesque mofo" is rather vague and speaks more to your lackluster imagination than Christie's political beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 5611/04/2012

I'm the one who posted the "I wanted him" post. It was just a momentary thing that had to do with seeing a Repug standing up to Fox news. It passed quickly. I don't feel it now. But it surprised me that I felt it at all.

by Anonymousreply 5711/04/2012

Grotesque mofo@ R56, for starters you can see my post @ R55. Or lift a few fingers to look on google. Actually grotesque mofo is a perfect description of Christie aside from his policies he's also known to yell at, berate and humiliate constituents, reporters, and opponents when they dare question him.

by Anonymousreply 5811/04/2012

After Obama, Christie Wants a G.O.P. Hug By MICHAEL BARBARO A few days after Hurricane Sandy shattered the shores of New Jersey, Gov. Chris Christie picked up the phone to take on a different kind of recovery work: taming the Republican Party fury over his effusive embrace of President Obama.

On Nov. 3, Mr. Christie called Rupert Murdoch, the influential News Corporation chief and would-be kingmaker, who had warned in a biting post on Twitter that the governor might be responsible for Mr. Obama’s re-election.

Mr. Christie told Mr. Murdoch that amid the devastation, New Jersey needed friends, no matter their political party, according to people briefed on the discussion. But Mr. Murdoch was blunt: Mr. Christie risked looking like a spoiler unless he publicly affirmed his support for Mitt Romney, something the governor did the next day.

Mr. Christie has been explaining himself to Republicans ever since. His lavish praise for Mr. Obama’s response to the storm, delivered in the last days of the presidential race, represented the most dramatic development in the campaign’s final stretch. Right or wrong, conventional wisdom in the party holds that it influenced the outcome.

But behind the scenes, the intensity of the reaction from those in Mr. Christie’s party caught him by surprise, interviews show, requiring a rising Republican star to try to contain a tempest that left him feeling deeply misunderstood and wounded.

The governor, who had spent days delivering bear hugs and words of sympathy to shellshocked residents, resented the pressure to choose between the state he loves with fervent, Springsteen-fueled ferocity and his future as a leader in the Republican Party.

In New Jersey, Mr. Christie’s politics-be-damned approach to the storm seemed to represent a moment of high-minded crisis management for a governor frequently defined by his public diatribes and tantrums. Mr. Christie locked arms with Mr. Obama, flew with him on Marine One, talked with him daily and went out of his way to praise him publicly as “outstanding,” “incredibly supportive” and worthy of “great credit.”

But in the days after the storm, Mr. Christie and his advisers were startled to hear from out-of-state donors to Mr. Romney, who had little interest in the hurricane and viewed him solely as a campaign surrogate, demanding to know why he had stood so close to the president on a tarmac. One of them questioned why he had boarded Mr. Obama’s helicopter, according to people briefed on the conversations.

It did not help that Mr. Romney had not called Mr. Christie during those first few days, people close to the governor say.

The tensions followed Mr. Christie to the annual meeting of the Republican Governors Association in Las Vegas last week. At a gathering where he had expected to be celebrated, Mr. Christie was repeatedly reminded of how deeply he had offended fellow Republicans.

“I will not apologize for doing my job,” he emphatically told one of them in a hotel hallway at the ornate Wynn Resort.

His willingness to work closely with the president has cast a shadow over Mr. Christie’s prospects as a national candidate, prompting a number of Republicans to wonder aloud whether he is a reliable party leader.

“It hurt him a lot,” said Douglas E. Gross, a longtime Republican operative in Iowa who has overseen several presidential campaigns in the state. “The presumption is that Republicans can’t count on him.”

Republican voters in Iowa, the first state to select presidential candidates, “don’t forget things like this,” Mr. Gross said.

With Mr. Romney’s loss still an open sore, Mr. Christie’s conduct remains a topic of widespread discussion in the party.

“People keep asking me why you were so nice to the president,” Governor-elect Pat McCrory of North Carolina told Mr. Christie when they encountered each other beneath a gem-studded chandelier at the hotel.

“I tell them you are doing your job,” Mr. McCrory said.

“That’s right,” Mr. Christie replied, patting him on the back.

(more)

by Anonymousreply 5911/20/2012

Inside the Romney campaign, there is little doubt that Mr. Christie’s expressions of admiration for the president, coupled with ubiquitous news coverage of the hurricane’s aftermath, raised Mr. Obama’s standing at a crucial moment.

During a lengthy autopsy of their campaign, Mr. Romney’s political advisers pored over data showing that an unusually large number of voters who remained undecided until the end of the campaign backed Mr. Obama. Many of them cited the storm as a major factor in their decision, according to a person involved in the discussion.

“Christie,” a Romney adviser said, “allowed Obama to be president, not a politician.”

In a sign of residual frustration, a banner headline popped up on Sunday on a Romney-friendly Web site, The Drudge Report, going after Mr. Christie for appearing on “Saturday Night Live” this past weekend “as residents suffer.”

Mr. Christie is, of course, a convenient scapegoat for a candidacy that fell short for many reasons — demographic, ideological and personal — and Mr. Romney’s campaign manager, Matt Rhoades, emphasized that Mr. Christie did “exactly what a governor should do” in a crisis.

Still, a bitterness lingers among top financial donors to Mr. Romney, many of whom had considered Mr. Christie a powerful ally — a blustery and emotional figure on the campaign trail who compensated for Mr. Romney’s mechanical and staid presence.

A top Romney aide described the contributors as “furious” with Mr. Christie.

In interviews, several of the donors speculated that Mr. Christie was positioning himself as a softer, postpartisan figure in time for his re-election as governor next year, when he may face the popular Democratic mayor of Newark, Cory A. Booker, or in preparation for the 2016 presidential campaign.

The chatter captures the unusual position Mr. Christie occupies among the Republican faithful. A political celebrity with the image of a regular guy, he pleased the base with his tart-tongued denunciations of Mr. Obama, whom he memorably described as “walking around in a dark room trying to find the light switch of leadership.”

But some party loyalists saw his behavior after the hurricane as an echo of his convention keynote address in August, when he trumpeted his own accomplishments but made scant reference to Mr. Romney.

“A lot of politicians look out for themselves,” said Mr. Gross, the Republican from Iowa. “They just usually camouflage it better.”

That argument is rejected by no less a Republican Party booster than Kenneth G. Langone, the billionaire founder of Home Depot, who told Mr. Christie to ignore carping party activists who he predicted would soon plead with him to seek higher office.

“I said, ‘Governor, if you lead a miraculous recovery of the state of New Jersey, that is all that is going to matter,’ ” Mr. Langone recalled. “They are going to be begging you to run, just like they begged Eisenhower.”

No poll of New Jersey public opinion has been released since the storm. But Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute, predicts that Mr. Christie’s approval ratings, recently in the low 50s, will surge.

“It was obvious to many people in New Jersey that he was putting his state ahead of his party,” Mr. Murray said. “You always get points for leadership when you do that.”

After the storm, when Mr. Christie walked into a restaurant in liberal-leaning Princeton, he received a loud ovation.

His reception was chillier in Las Vegas, where Republican governors, past and present, offered a range of explanations for Mr. Christie’s warmth toward the president. They know from experience that nothing can kill a political career like a botched response to a disaster.

But most analyses fell into the exasperated Christie-Can’t-Help-It category.

“People here understand Chris Christie’s effusive personality,” said Haley Barbour, a former governor of Mississippi.

(more)

by Anonymousreply 6011/20/2012

And Gov. Terry Branstad of Iowa said: “There are some people that think maybe he could have handled it — been a little less gushing. But that’s his personality. He has got that New Jersey edge to him, you know, for good or bad.”

by Anonymousreply 6111/20/2012

Doesn't this response to Christie working with Obama for the good of his state during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy just serve to illustrate clearly the irrationality of GOP intransigence towards Obama and, one assumes, Democrats, in general?

Nowhere in this article or reports of this story (the Christie/Obama love fest) has anyone mentioned that the GOP would've rather seen disaster, lost homes, livelihoods and lives then see State and Federal officials work together for the betterment of the people involved. It's so twisted.

by Anonymousreply 6211/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.