Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Through that wet stuff away folks!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1302/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 111/03/2012

Speaking of mold, we are putting our house on the market in March. It's in great shape except for mold on our bathroom ceiling.

A friend's husband, a carpenter, had a look at it and poked around the attic. His advice was to get the bathroom professionally repainted and have the fan replaced. I didn't think to ask Who should replace the fan? And now he and his wife are out of the country for a long trip. Don't want to pester him! ( he did mention that he didn't have any contractor referrals to give these days - he works on his own)

I'm not finding clear answers using Mr Google. I've seen some DIY advice, but we're not handy people! So, should I find an electrician? A plumber? A handyperson? A general contractor?

Also, we want to replace our ugly sink with a pretty pedestal. Again, a DIY project for many, but not for us.

So I guess, we'd want someone to do both. Does it sound like contractor time?

I have an (irrational?) dread of dealing with contractors.

Thank you kindly.

by Anonymousreply 202/11/2013

A handyperson could do the job, OP. It's not hard to replace a fan. If you don't think you could do it yourself, maybe you have someone among your family or friends who is handy. You could ask them.

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2013

Oops...I meant my fan advice for R2, not OP. But, I am in agreement that we should throe that wet stuff away.

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2013

Oh my GAWD, what happened??

by Anonymousreply 502/11/2013

You really better throh it away.

by Anonymousreply 602/11/2013

R2 are you going to deal with the root cause of the mold? You have to address that before you sell the house to someone who doesn't know you've masked a bigger problem.

by Anonymousreply 702/11/2013

Did you know that you can become a Certified Mold Inspector (CMO)? It's a certification that's been hilariously available for years.

by Anonymousreply 802/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 902/11/2013

Just spray a little Massengill on it.

by Anonymousreply 1002/11/2013

R7, carpenter friend thought the cause of mold was an old barely functioning fan and that if we replaced it and professionally painted the room it should be ok.

Is that bad advice? I have no clue! Not looking to mask problems and deceive buyers.

by Anonymousreply 1102/11/2013

R2: The buyers will most likely have an inspection done but with a new fan and paint job the damage won't be visible. It's unusual for a fan to cause visible mold like that; there's usually a water source but maybe it is steam in the bathroom. If your contractor is confident about the source and remedy I wouldn't sweat it. If the inspector finds something else you can address it then. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013

Thank you, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1302/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!