Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ben Affleck and Kristen Stewart As Love Interests?

A 20 year age difference plus she looks like a 12 year old boy.

Hollywood is just insane.

by Anonymousreply 9412/26/2012

I think she's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2012

What, he couldn't sign Elle Fanning?

by Anonymousreply 211/03/2012

This is getting ridiculous...she was 12 when he was 30. Enough of this.

by Anonymousreply 311/03/2012

Will she be sleeping with HIM too?

by Anonymousreply 411/03/2012

I agree with all of you but the flip side is there are only so many male leads in Hollywood who can open a film. Zac Efron and Taylor Lautner...won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 511/03/2012

It's interesting that originally the roles were offered to Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. I think there's about a 9 year age difference there. I don't know how you go from that to Affleck and Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 611/04/2012

Can Ben really open a film these days, R5?

by Anonymousreply 711/04/2012

Please.

Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn, FUNNY FACE, 30 years difference

Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe, THE MISFITS, 25 years difference

Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, CHARADE, 25 years difference

Kim Novak and James Stewart, VERTIGO, 25 years difference

Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones, 39 years difference (jokes aside)

Faye Dunaway and William Holden, NETWORK, 23 years difference

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, numerous films, 25 years difference and they of course were actually married

OP and R3 act like something new is going on. Have they never watched a movie in their lives? The difference in age between the insufferable Affleck and the talentless, sullen Stewart is an improvement in plausibility, if anything.

by Anonymousreply 811/04/2012

I think the difference between the movies you posted and the time period now is that a few of those films were from half a century ago...people have a hard time swallowing those differences now. The largest generations now are the boomers and millennials..and a lot of the ones born in the 90s will be saying EW to that difference.

by Anonymousreply 911/04/2012

My, my R8, must not have a date tonight.

by Anonymousreply 1011/04/2012

Some young women (Scar Jo comes to mind) look good paired with an older man. Stew doesn't..

I could see Gosling with Stew, but not Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 1111/04/2012

R10 is a twat, of course, and must be posting from a bar as her bf stands in line for the toilet. Oh, wait. She posted earlier in the evening, too. Some fun life the thing has, swilling from the can and snarking.

Such useless turds here on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 1211/04/2012

I'm a bottom and routinely date men two decades older than myself. If we can presume woman are the "bottoms" in a hetero relationship, why not have such an age gap? Gay men and women who are attracted to powerful men frequently sexualize such an age gap as power or alpha status. I see it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1311/04/2012

You can't be serious, r13. Why would you presume that you know what women are attracted to based on what you like? This is nothing more than straight men's resistance to seeing any woman over 30 as a romantic interest.

by Anonymousreply 1411/04/2012

r8

Typical elder gay, why don't use use some films from this century.

by Anonymousreply 1511/04/2012

r10 and r15 = bitterly jealous that r8 is wiser than them and killed the shitty argument they were all geared up to make.

by Anonymousreply 1611/04/2012

Sorry, r8 didn't "kill" anything. So because something has always been a certain way, it should never be looked at critically, analyzed, or expected to evolve? Such a Republican way of thinking.

by Anonymousreply 1711/04/2012

What amazes me is that there are still people who inexplicably deny that women out of their 20s have a harder time getting roles in Hollywood, even though it's plainly obvious.

by Anonymousreply 1911/04/2012

Because the point, R15, genius, was that it has always been that way. Therefor the older the film, the better the example. Good morning!

That said, gross and stupid. I'm betting those tasteless sluts are already looking forward to that little affair.

by Anonymousreply 2011/04/2012

I'm not sure I can think of a male actor of any age that would look good paired with Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 2111/04/2012

Stewart looks and acts like a 13 y.o. That makes it extra skeevy.

Some actresses can look and project older so it's easier to buy (Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper for example).

by Anonymousreply 2211/04/2012

Ben is GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY

by Anonymousreply 2311/04/2012

I highly doubt Ben is gay. ANY reason to think so except his friendship with Matt Damon?

Gay for pay as proven by him having a career, I can buy.

by Anonymousreply 2411/04/2012

I don't agree that Lawrence "looks or projects older," but I do think that Silver Linings Playbook is a typical Hollywood movie. Three male leads, none under 35, one female lead, under 25.

by Anonymousreply 2511/04/2012

"A 20 year age difference plus she looks like a 12 year old boy."

Those were my fantasies when I was 12.

by Anonymousreply 2611/04/2012

It used to be that Scarlett Johansson was getting these parts. Is she too "old" at 26?

by Anonymousreply 2711/04/2012

Scarlett Johansson is middle-aged in Hollywood terms.

by Anonymousreply 2811/04/2012

Portman is doing beyond fine (as is Scarlett obviously). Wasn't she even trying to get out of that stupid Thor franchise? I'm sure many would gladly take over.

30 is not a problem in Hollywood, if you have any star appeal. 40 is a different issue.

by Anonymousreply 2911/04/2012

The real question is there believable onscreen chemistry between Affleck and KStew? Does Hollywood really think the latter still has a following?

ScarJo was the weakest link in the Thor franchise.

by Anonymousreply 3011/04/2012

I'm not sure it's possible for Kristen to have chemistry with a male actor. She did seem to have lots of chemistry with Dakota Fanning however...

You can already tell this movie will flop so why bother?

by Anonymousreply 3111/04/2012

Natalie is in Thor, Scarlett is in Avengers. Who is the weakest link?

by Anonymousreply 3211/04/2012

They were both the weakest links in their respective movies.

by Anonymousreply 3311/04/2012

Untrue Thor(Chris Hemsworth?) was by far the weakest link in Avengers. Dude is a total hack. Scarlett was cool and fun at times. I haven't seen the Thor film.

by Anonymousreply 3411/04/2012

Maybe they chose Affleck because he looks like Sanders.

Anyway, yeah, Hollywood's gross. However, there has been an increase in female performers who make their own work and get gigs at an "older" age. Some of their work even becomes well-paid, though not nearly as much as that of an A-list movie diva.

by Anonymousreply 3511/04/2012

What does Jennifer Garner think about this?

by Anonymousreply 3611/04/2012

Hollywood doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that there's a societal shift going on. Yes, old man will "always" like younger women; but old women also find younger men more sexually attractive. The old man/much younger woman coupling is being seen as more creepy than it used to.

by Anonymousreply 3711/04/2012

I agree, R37. There need to be many more films where a woman hooks up or ends up with a guy 15-20 years younger than her, where the age difference isn't even part of the plot or theme (or mentioned at all). It's perfectly fair. And straight men would freak out like morons!

by Anonymousreply 3811/04/2012

Reese Witherspoon got criticized for starring opposite Robert Pattinson (10 years her junior). Although that could also be because both are not sexy and had no chemistry.

Reese also got heat for that dumb movie with Tom Hardy and Chris Pine (both are a few years younger than her).

by Anonymousreply 3911/04/2012

I think Hardy is only 1 year younger than Reese, r39. Pine is 4 years younger.

I agree now that women have more agency over their bodies/lives/destinies than in years past, such huge age differences in older men/younger women couplings aren't being swallowed quite so easily anymore, at least not by the female half of the population. But straight men will always want to believe they can land women who are out of their league.

by Anonymousreply 4011/04/2012

Definitely a societal shift going on in regards to the younger woman/much older man that Hollywood has been doing forever. Modern audiences just aren't buying it like they used to.

by Anonymousreply 4111/04/2012

Stewart reads younger than her actual age, because she can't talk. Her speech has so many "um"s and "like"s that she's barely coherent, which give her the air of a slow-witted high school freshan.

Now that worked very well in "Twilight", where they needed an actress who could look high school age through four movies, but will seem creepy if she's paired with a middle-aged man. She has to learn to talk, if she wants a career as an adult actress.

by Anonymousreply 4211/04/2012

Who da fuck you callin' a "bottom", r13?!

by Anonymousreply 4311/04/2012

Agree r42 but I also think her lack of love for Twilight makes her seem that way.

I just saw a new interview were she does the "um" and "like"-thing, while looking down, side, everywhere, only meeting the eyes of the reporter a few times. They asked her about announcing Jodie's lifetime achievement award and her admiration for Jodie... Wouldn't you know, she came alive. She sat up, stayed in constant eye contact and actually spoke well.

This makes me think she needs to be into what she's talking about to be able to speak well.

by Anonymousreply 4411/04/2012

[quote]This makes me think she needs to be into what she's talking about to be able to speak well.

So, she has the mentality of a slow witted high school freshman?

However, I've never seen her engage well in any interview (either print or TV), no matter the topic. I think she's just a spoiled idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4511/04/2012

[quote]She has to learn to talk, if she wants a career as an adult actress.

I just got a mental picture of a snarly Kristen Stewart with a diction coach. Not pretty, but funny.

[quote]Denise DiNovi will produce the story of a veteran grifter who partners with a girl who's new to the life.

Well, it doesn't say she's the love interest. "A girl new to the life." leaves it open. Maybe they were thinking of a romantic pairing when Gosling and Stone were discussed which would make sense.

I could see a film where he takes on an apprentice and there's no romantic involvement or even tension (c'mon it's Kristen Stewart. Would the producers risk putting her up against a male in a romance even after the Rupert crap?). It could almost be the perfect role for her playing herself -- an uneducated, inarticulate, halting young woman, angry at the world for whatever reasons, chooses a life of crime and finds a mentor who shows her the ropes. Her own issues come out in what becomes a surrogate father daughter relationship, blah, blah, blah.

No way in hell it's a romantic pairing. It just can't be.

by Anonymousreply 4611/04/2012

[quote]A veteran grifter takes a young, attractive woman under his wing, but things get complicated when they become romantically involved.

by Anonymousreply 4711/04/2012

I watched the interview of Kristen hawking that new Balenciaga perfume she's being paid millions to shill. She was asked some dumb, softball questions (describe the fragrance, how could some fangirl convince her parents to buy it, compare the scent to a movie, etc). Basic questions.

She couldn't think of three words to describe it and could only say it "doesn't smell like chemicals" or like an "old lady." The rest was a mess of eye rolling, fidgeting, twitching and incoherence.

by Anonymousreply 4811/04/2012

Her and Robert Pattinson do that same thing, it's almost as if they think they don't have to answer questions...and don't want to even waste their words because they don't think anyone could POSSIBLY understand how deep they are. They try to portray this by running their hands through their hair, and then bitting their lip because they are just oh so frustrated at how complicated their life is. They need to give it up and fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 4911/04/2012

Let's hope that changes, R47. I can't even picture Stewart pretending to be an attractive young woman for a con. They're supposed to be seductive and tempting. She's not an actress who does transformations or much of anything.

by Anonymousreply 5011/04/2012

Well, Affleck never packs any sexual heat either. That movie is going to bomb.

by Anonymousreply 5111/04/2012

No r45 it just means she can turn on a dime and change when she's actually interested in the subject. Twilight is obviously something she has never been into. Her acting is the same way. In The Runaways and other films, she can be surprisingly good but with something like Twilight, she's horrible. Just like her acting, she comes alive when her attention is caught.

by Anonymousreply 5211/04/2012

Disagree completely, R52. Every performance in the same. Sullen, dead eyed and wooden. Including The Runaways. She was wallpaper in that movie and out acted by Dakota in every scene.

And I won't even get into the bullshit argument that she's inarticulate in interviews and on the red carpet because she's 'bored.'

by Anonymousreply 5311/04/2012

Gross.

by Anonymousreply 5411/04/2012

Since performances are subjective, I can't say you are wrong or right. I can't argue with the second "point" either because that's clearly link to your belief on the first one.

Personally, seeing her wake up after asked about Jodie plus seeing her performances in other films besides Twilight, makes me think that being "into it" is crucial for this girl.

by Anonymousreply 5511/04/2012

I have to say that only showing any life when she's "really into" something is not going to help her career.

Actors have to be able to elevate bad material, they can't wait around for something that totally suits their talents. If they do, that one perfect role is probably going to go to someone who's known for always doing a good job, regardless of what they're given.

by Anonymousreply 5611/04/2012

Just look at his FACE. It has seen more cocks than any of us ever will!

by Anonymousreply 5711/04/2012

I guess she really "wasn't into" Snow White either.

by Anonymousreply 5811/04/2012

We are talking mostly about her interview skills r58 because performance and movie taste varies.

by Anonymousreply 5911/04/2012

R56 was talking about her acting. I think we are talking about both her interview skills and her acting ability. And how both read as 'teen girl' and not romantic adult leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 6011/04/2012

Even without the age difference, it just seems like a bizarre pairing in terms of personality. Not quite John Travolta/Lily Tomlin awfulness, but probably pretty close to the Richard Gere and Winona Ryder disaster in Autumn in New York. I just can't imagine there would be a stitch of chemistry between the two, and KS isn't someone who is ready to make the jump to leading lady. Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone, yes, but they are much more talented and, well, womanly. And Ben is a guy who definitely needs the right script and co-star to be good. He's not going to be able to prop her up.

by Anonymousreply 6111/05/2012

Affleck now has a potato head? How did that happen? Did he somehow morph with Demi Moore and Bruce Willis?

by Anonymousreply 6211/05/2012

[quote]but probably pretty close to the Richard Gere and Winona Ryder disaster in Autumn in New York.

And that was the beginning of the end for Winona's career. Let's hope the same happens to Stewart. This movie already smells like a bomb.

by Anonymousreply 6311/05/2012

R61 womanly doesn't exactly come to mind when i think of lawrence or stone,they both seem rather butch.

by Anonymousreply 6411/05/2012

You think Jennifer Lawrence is butch? No, she is perfectly womanly. But I wouldn't expect someone of your persuasion to understand anything about feminine charms.

by Anonymousreply 6511/05/2012

Wait, this is suppose to be a ROMANTIC COMEDY?

This just upped the bizarre factor by about 10 degrees.

by Anonymousreply 6611/05/2012

I know it's fun to make fun of Stewart and Ben's resurrected his career through the movies he's directed and starred in, but have we forgotten how dreadful he is in all the "comedies" he's been in? The worst of course being Gigli, but there's been at least half a dozen others. Although I do find this pairing gross, if it turns out to be something on the level of Gigli, then I'm okay with that.

by Anonymousreply 6711/05/2012

Has Stewart ever been in a comedy?

by Anonymousreply 6811/05/2012

His face looks like the most common, boring American straight dude I could possibly imagine, R57.

Maybe it's a case of "Is he straight or just American"?

by Anonymousreply 6911/05/2012

[quote]His face looks like the most common, boring American straight dude I could possibly imagine

Exactly! There are hundreds of thousands of men across America who look just like him (or better.) He has absolutely no charisma or movie star appeal either.

by Anonymousreply 7011/05/2012

Ben having another Gigli on his hands, starring an actress almost as annoying and hated as Jennifer Lopez, is just PERFECT.

by Anonymousreply 7111/05/2012

R68, Adventureland and Zathura.

by Anonymousreply 7211/05/2012

She can't do comedy, she can't do romance and she has no ability to generate any heat with a man. And Ben is equally a total block of wood. I wish he would just give up acting and stay behind the camera. What is he trying to prove?

by Anonymousreply 7311/05/2012

Ben definitely trends toward blandness unless he has a good role and script. He tends to be at his best playing bad guys, IMO. When he plays the standard lead, as he would here, he's not very good. The thing is, he's been so smart about his directing projects, has cast his films so well, that you'd think he would see what a disaster in the making it would be to be paired with KS.

by Anonymousreply 7411/05/2012

Kristen iS on Leno. Poor Jay he's struggling. I do dig the dress.

by Anonymousreply 7511/06/2012

It seems to me that not only does hollywood discriminate agains women older than 30 but also against men younger than 30. There's no place for beautiful young men or women who are no longer girls...

by Anonymousreply 7611/06/2012

Another ridiculous pairing: Liam Neeson and Olivia Wilde.

by Anonymousreply 7711/06/2012

Ben looks too old and Kristen Stewart looks too young. It would even be ridiculous with Emma Stone and she has a more mature look and air than Stewart.

I HATE Ben's acting. Hated it in The Town (an overrated movie btw). He ruins the movies he directs by insisting on casting himself in the lead. I've heard Argo is great but as usual he's stiff and wooden in a part that could have gone to a more skilled actor.

Also, about Kristen Stewart and whether she livens up if she's really "into" something. I read that there was a screening and Q&A for On the Road last night in LA and as usual Stewart was awkward, miserable and dour and you would think this would be a movie that she actually cared about.

She's just a dumb, insufferable twat whose 15 minutes should be almost up.

by Anonymousreply 7811/06/2012

R65 I'm a woman and i know all about feminine charms.

by Anonymousreply 7911/06/2012

As with the Gerard Butler/Jessica Biel flop, audiences don't want to see old, washed out looking men and bland young women in chemistry-less romantic comedies. Why does Hollywood continue to make them?

Bombs away.

by Anonymousreply 8012/09/2012

Ben drops out of the film.

The studio has created a shortlist for replacements, including Michael Douglas, Sean Connery and Max von Sydow.

by Anonymousreply 8112/19/2012

Sorry, wrong link.

by Anonymousreply 8212/19/2012

Ben wanted to dodge the tabloid shitstorm. He's on the hunt for Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 8312/19/2012

[quote]The studio has created a shortlist for replacements, including Michael Douglas, Sean Connery and Max von Sydow.

Just when I thought I couldn't get any more jealous of her!

by Anonymousreply 8412/19/2012

Ben? Dodge publicity? Bwahahahahahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 8512/19/2012

Not publicity, R85. But he's not staging FAMILY photo ops for nothing. Being linked to Stewart in the midst of awards season isn't the image he wants.

by Anonymousreply 8612/19/2012

[quote]Ben? Dodge publicity? Bwahahahahahahahaha!

I think after the whole Bennifer thing almost killed his career Ben learned that not all publicity is good publicity. And being on the cover of In Touch with speculation that he was going to be the next 40-something director to fuck Kristen Stewart, ESPECIALLY during Oscar campaigning season, is not the way to go.

No, his type of publicity is testifying on capital hill and staging pap pics of his wife and kids going for ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 8712/20/2012

Kristen will have to take a shower and brush her hair.

Do you think they will write a clause in her contract specifying that she has to do that? You know, look clean on camera? Cause she always looks like her hair is dirty and like her pussy smells.

by Anonymousreply 8812/21/2012

Ben always looks stinky and unbathed too.

by Anonymousreply 8912/21/2012

R78 - Stewart needs to bone up on her history and take a page from The Shannen Doherty Book. She was once a Hollywood hot shit and got too big for her britches and got run out of town on a rail for her shitty attitude. She should be held up as a shining example to Kristen Stewart and to Megan Fox and a couple of other snotty, over-paid ungrateful young twats that it CAN happen to them.

by Anonymousreply 9012/21/2012

R90 KStew has never been accused of being late to set or being a bitch to others like Doherty was. We can hate all we want but if she turns up on time and sells tickets then she'll be just fine. Not sure why you are bringing Megan Fox into this. Kristen surpassed her long ago.

by Anonymousreply 9112/21/2012

Actually, Stewart has been accused of being a bitch. But mainly Stewart's problem is that she comes across as a sullen cunt who can't even get through a normal late night chat show interview. Which she needs to do to promote her projects. Studios can't count on her to sell their movie properly, if she can't actually sell tickets to movies that don't include 'Twilight', what use is she?

by Anonymousreply 9212/21/2012

Almost nobody believes Affleck has a realistic chance at winning the Oscar anymore. He is just campaigning for the nomination and that will be over in two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 9312/21/2012

[quote]Not sure why you are bringing Megan Fox into this.

R91, Because she's also bitchy and ungrateful?

by Anonymousreply 9412/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.