Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Barbra Streisand Courts the Jewish vote for Obama

In a video targeted to Jewish voters, Barbra Streisand Explains Why She Supports President Obama

Hi, this is Barbra Streisand. In this election, we have a choice between two candidates. President Obama, who has taken our country forward by expanding women’s rights and fighting for social and economic justice. He’s got our economy moving in the right direction.

President Obama has supported Roe v. Wade, Planned Parenthood, and equal pay for women from his first day in office. And his landmark health care law provided millions of women with access to contraception and mammograms that they couldn’t have afford before.

President Obama continues to stand strongly with our ally Israel and in preventing Iran from getting nuclear weapons while implementing the strictest sanctions ever.

He has also done more for the LGBT community than any president before, repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and signing the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act into law.

Governor Romney would take us backwards and is as extreme as it gets when it comes to a woman’s right to choose and giving America’s wealthiest even more tax cuts on the backs of the middle class. A Romney administration would deny health insurance to about 45 million people, end Medicare as we know it, and would savagely cut Medicaid which now covers more than 50 million Americans. A Romney Administration would oppose the Buffett Rule, which would help ensure that those who make one million dollars per year pay their fair share of taxes.

Mitt Romney does not share our values. I know Barack Obama does. In this good man, we have a president we can trust, a president whom I trust. For me the choice is clear; I hope it is for you.

by Anonymousreply 3611/06/2012

“We are extremely humbled and honored to work with Barbra Streisand on this video,” said NJDC Chair Marc R. Stanley. “Ms. Streisand is a legendary actress, a longtime icon in our community, and a vaunted political activist. She has been supportive of President Obama from the beginning and wanted to help our efforts to educate voters about the President’s true record on Israel.”

“As a lifelong advocate for women’s and LGBT issues, Streisand is truly frightened by the giant step backwards a Romney-Ryan ticket represents,” said NJDC President and CEO David A. Harris. “She is committed to doing everything she can to make it clear why President Obama will be the choice for Jewish voters.”

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2012

Nice. BTW, she a legendary singer, and an amusing actress.

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2012

Who would be the top Jewish person in America to change the Jewish communities minds?

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2012

R3 = liar

Notice that liars never post links to back up their drivel.

by Anonymousreply 811/02/2012

Barbra = overrated heffa who gets praised just because she's white.

by Anonymousreply 1011/02/2012

Anita Bryant did say Babs was overrated as a singer. And that she could beat her at any singing competition.

by Anonymousreply 1111/02/2012

Barbra's message is being reinforced from a top publication in the motherland.

by Anonymousreply 1211/02/2012

Jews don't like Streisand because she's "too Jewish."

by Anonymousreply 1311/02/2012

First of all the "Jewish vote" has always been split. Orthodox and Chassidic Jews typically support Netanyahu and vote Republican, which reflects their conservative social values. Generally unaffiliated, Reformed, and most Conservative Jews tend to vote Democratic. Not all equally support Israeli's policies, no matter who runs the Knesset.

The notion that Barbra Streisand was or is a leader in the Jewish Community is therefore misleading, as there never was or will be ONE point of view. The first thing you learn being culturally Jewish, whether or not you follow the religion and to what degree, is that there isn't a monolithic thought process. Still religious and non-religious Jews are raised to admire those that have made a tremendous positive impact on society. At one time it was felt that Stephen Spielberg was influential. Whoever is at the forefront of curing cancer might have more of an impact.

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2012

What about the statements from R1 ?

by Anonymousreply 1511/02/2012

R15, I feel statements from R1 are a generalization, and true for some Jews and not applicable for others. Ditto with the other comments on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1611/02/2012

It must have been a really misty day when they shot that...I can barely see her.

by Anonymousreply 1711/02/2012

R3/R6 has already been called a liar, but I feel it needs to be done again.

R3 is a liar. And a goyish liar to boot. Feh.

by Anonymousreply 1811/02/2012

by Anonymousreply 1911/02/2012

Barbra's Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 2011/02/2012

Barbra is the biggest donor to Elizabeth Warren's Senate campaign.

by Anonymousreply 2111/02/2012

[quote]Anita Bryant did say Babs was overrated as a singer. And that she could beat her at any singing competition.

As much as I loathe Anita Bryant... she is right about that.

by Anonymousreply 2211/02/2012

Found this interesting when it came out a while ago.

Does Israel really trump everything else for these Americans?

by Anonymousreply 2311/02/2012

Anita Fucking Bryant could outsing Barbra Streisand?

Barbra Streisand was put here to erase careers like Bryant's.

Edyie Gourmet comes closer.

Anita Bryant. Please.

by Anonymousreply 2411/02/2012

Like she's even relevant.

by Anonymousreply 2511/02/2012

Has Barbra ever gotten around to writing that donation check?

by Anonymousreply 2611/02/2012

R23, you're the person who seems to be obsessed with Israel.

by Anonymousreply 2711/03/2012

Jews supported Clinton over Obama because both Mr&Mrs were viewed as being very aware of public opinion, and altering their policies accordingly. Some Jews don't trust Obama. If he wanted more Orthodox Jewish support he should consider a hot button issue, like funding private religious schools IF they do a better job of teaching. I know that many on DL will disagree with this post, but many Jews are disgusted with the quality of public education.

If any of the heads of PBS were Jewish and religious, (hello Sesame Street, even the Orthodox kids are allowed to watch you)I'd think they'd have a greater impact than Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 2811/03/2012

Orthodox Jewish New York Assemblyman Dov Hikind has been in Florida holding meetings to convince his tribe that Obama should not be voted in again.

by Anonymousreply 2911/03/2012

R29, Many liberal Jews think that the Orthodox and Chassidic are "way out there," to put it diplomatically. The very religious and observant are always trying to "convert" the unaffiliated and Reformed Jews, whom they consider "barely Jewish." The differences in outlook and lifestyle is very different.

The highly respected Hillary Clinton should go to FL and explain how MR's aggressive attitude towards the Middle East threatens Israel, rather than ensures Her safety. Then Clinton should focus on Obama's funding of the arts, especially PBS, and his health care advocacy. Personally I think Hillary has more positive influence in the Jewish community than Barbra. Although the latter's very talented, Hillary represents the Jewish ideal of a woman who "wasn't born with a silver spoon in her mouth" yet achieved great success through education, and used it to help those less fortunate. Streisand is also an advocate but is dissed by some religious Jews for "being too Hollywood."

by Anonymousreply 3011/03/2012

Send her an email, R30, although it may be too late.

by Anonymousreply 3111/03/2012

R31, What's Hillary's email? LOL Seriously, I've been paid before to provide my political opinions.

by Anonymousreply 3211/03/2012

I'm nominally Catholic (christian) yet I loathe right-wing evangelicals.

Just because they're all called Jews, why shouldn't liberal Jews be allowed to hate the ultra-conservative ones?

by Anonymousreply 3411/06/2012

R33, Hello to Planet Earth? What Solar System do you live in? Obama is NOT anti-Israel, MR's policies are detrimental. NOT ALL JEWS THINK THE SAME WAY.

by Anonymousreply 3511/06/2012

R33? I'm a Zionist who voted for Obama. There's more than one opinion out there about which candidate is better for Israel in particular and foreign affairs generally.

by Anonymousreply 3611/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!