Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anita Baker

Any fans of Ms. Baker? I just finished hearing her new song she released and amazed that she sounds exactly as she did in the 80s! I'm happy she's finally releasing some new material.

"Rapture" is a classic Quiet Storm/R&B album that I always listen to on my ipod. Too bad she didn't follow that album with another blockbuster. Here's the link to her new "Lately."

by Anonymousreply 4110/28/2013

She would be a lot more famous if she wasn't such a cunt. She's notorious in the industry as being beyond difficult.

by Anonymousreply 111/02/2012

I always thought she sounded flat.

by Anonymousreply 211/02/2012

Anita Baker is a bitch on wheels.

by Anonymousreply 311/02/2012

Giving You The Best That I've Got did all right. I think it was after that record that her career tanked.

by Anonymousreply 411/02/2012

She's no Oleta Adams!

by Anonymousreply 511/02/2012

"Rapture" was amazing but everything she's done since sounds like Muzak.

And she does have one of the worst reputations in the business.

by Anonymousreply 611/02/2012

She's one of my all-time favorites, OP... The soundtrack of my life, in my ways.

by Anonymousreply 711/02/2012

A very entertaining tribute to Anita Baker on Youtube. Performers include a gorgeous Tamia, Donny's little girl, Lalah Hathaway, a surprisingly well preserved El Debarge, who according to Wiki has 12 kids and for me the star of the whole thing, Dionne Farris. I wondered what happened to Dionne after she left Arrested Development and she had a good sized hit with her first single. Good to see she is still kicking ass.

The clip is about 2 years old and Anita looks like she is having a good time.

by Anonymousreply 811/02/2012

Thank you so much for that post, R8, first time I watched it! That's what I call a tribute! I enjoyed them all, but my favorites were Tamia and Dionne Farris. I agree that Farris is a very underrated, multifaceted singer. She can sing alternative rock/pop hits like "I Know" and soulful folk jams like "Hopeless" and make it look easy. Again, criminally underrated!

I know many here have posted about Anita's diva behavior, but in the tribute video she appears very humble and appreciative that a younger crop of singers paid tribute to her.

by Anonymousreply 911/02/2012

r8 Faith Evans was my favorite in that tribute, maybe because she took the song to church, or maybe because I just love that song!

I love the new stuff too.

Everytime I hear Anita come on in the Musak of the grocery store I grin from ear to ear thinking about all the horror stories of how difficult she is IRL.

by Anonymousreply 1011/02/2012

R2, you always thought she sounded flat or fat?

by Anonymousreply 1111/02/2012

As if.

by Anonymousreply 1211/02/2012

For r10 because I love Faith too and at a tribute for Patti Labelle, Faith had Patti getting up from her seat several times as she tore through "You Are My Friend." I don't know what is more entertaining, Faith or Patti reacting to Faith.

Just listen to those backup singers...wow!

by Anonymousreply 1311/02/2012

Love it r13!!

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2012

r14, that is Miss Patti reacting to Fantasia tearing up "Lady Marmalade" at another tribute.

Patti has the best time at all of these tributes. Check out her dancing towards Fantasia.

by Anonymousreply 1511/02/2012

I never knew Ms. Baker was see you next tuesday.

I am a huge fan of her music. And I used to work in a small store up on a Madison Ave. and she ducked her head in one day and asked where the closest ATM was. She apologized and said she didn't know anything since she wasn't from NYC. I remember thinking you don't need to apologize, you're Anita-fucking-Baker!

by Anonymousreply 1611/02/2012

"Sweet Love" is one of my favorite songs of all time. It still has the power to give me shivers up my spine, especially when I have someone in my life to relate that song to.

by Anonymousreply 1711/02/2012

[quote]she ducked her head in one day and asked where the closest ATM was.

ATM?? I am alerting the IRS immediately that Anita has cash and is not using it to pay her federal taxes!

by Anonymousreply 1811/02/2012

I'm just glad to hear the old girl got off the smack long enough to croak out a new tune.

by Anonymousreply 1911/02/2012

How are you people posting videos that show in the thread?

by Anonymousreply 2011/02/2012

Compositions was her last decent and consistent CD. I know she had taken some time of to have kids and now they are teenagers going to some prestigious boarding school. She also got divorced not too long ago.

by Anonymousreply 2111/02/2012

Ms. Baker likes her Burger King

by Anonymousreply 2211/02/2012

I LOVE Anita Baker and have seen her in concert numerous times. She has a great rapport with the audience. I loved Compositions and I'm interested in hearing her new album. It was supposed to hit the stores/Net on October 29 but it's not out yet.

by Anonymousreply 2311/02/2012

Patti Labelle reports on Anita's ugly divorce!

by Anonymousreply 2411/02/2012

I love the Fantasia/Patti video. Fantasia took it to church.

by Anonymousreply 2511/02/2012

I saw Anita Baker at Radio City Music Hall in 1997 and when she started the show with Body and Soul, she brought the house down. Her voice is amazing. I also saw Luther and Anita in concert...so talented.

by Anonymousreply 2611/02/2012

She had some great cuts. "Sweet Love", "Good Love", "Same Ol' Love", her reamake of Manhattan Transfer's "Mystery"... Another Anita gem that sometimes gets overlooked is "Watch Your Step".

by Anonymousreply 2711/02/2012

Good point, R27!

Another overlooked gem is "Fairytales."

by Anonymousreply 2811/02/2012

Anita's electrifying performance of Billie Holiday's "God Bless the Child" at the '87 Grammys!

by Anonymousreply 2911/02/2012

1986-89 was a great time for new R&B singers to burst upon the scene. Anita is well known now, but there were also great vocalists like Donna Allen, Shirley Murdock, Jill Jones and Siedah Garrett. Funny how in comparison to now, that truly was a golden era in music.

by Anonymousreply 3011/02/2012

I want Anita to try a new hair style. Like Funky Dineva said, it is laid like funeral home, casket ready hair. That high top fade with the curled top has gone out of style, came back in style, and gone out of style again. Gurl!

by Anonymousreply 3111/02/2012

I remember back then (1986) it was Janet, Whitney and Anita who were the faces of black women breaking down barriers and storming the pop charts.

by Anonymousreply 3211/02/2012

A friend saw her live this summer and said she spent half the show bitching about the sound. My friend said at least a third of the audience left after the first hour.

by Anonymousreply 3311/03/2012

Ugh, I luuuuuuuuuuuuuv me some Anita and I've had "Lately" on repeat for a month now. I usually don't care for comebacks from artists who haven't not been around in a while but I think her new album is going to be a banger.

by Anonymousreply 3411/04/2012

Maxwell was obsessed with Anita Baker's voice when he was a teenager. His vocal style is greatly influenced by her. The beginning of his song "Ascension" has Anita written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2012

Baby! Baby! Baby! Baby! Baby! Baby! Baby! That Anita Baker crap is just one degree from the James Blunt horror - You're beautiful! You're beautiful! You're beautiful! You're beautiful! You're beautiful! You're beautiful!

Cole Porter was eons before my time but he sure knew how to provide interesting lyrics to the singers of his day.

by Anonymousreply 3611/11/2012

What the hell is r36 talking about?

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2012

All her songs sound the same to me. Boring and one-note.

Plus, she has a reputation for being a bigger cunt than even Streisand, which is saying something.

by Anonymousreply 3811/12/2012

Tell us how you feel about Sarah Palin and Mitt Romney, R38.

by Anonymousreply 3911/12/2012

Sarah Palin = airheaded bitch cunt who should just go away

Mitt Romney = ought to have his picture next to the definition of "douchebag" and "scum" in the dictionary

by Anonymousreply 4011/12/2012

Why hasn't Ms. Baker released her new album? The song "Lately" was released last summer, but after that haven't heard anything else sense.

by Anonymousreply 4110/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.