Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kathy Griffin Dons Native American Headdress As An Homage To Cher

Web site, Oh No They Didn't goes into complete meltdown, calling Kathy racist.

ONTD is a very well-known, well-publicized, web site, so don't even start the shit about it being a site that no one knows about. It's fucking huge. So huge that it was bought for millions. It's more famous than Dlisted.

That out of the way, what do you think about Kathy and this headdress, and the outrage over it on that site. Read the comments. Maybe I'm alone in thinking it's not racist. I'm in my 20s, so I'm not from some other generation that lived through black face.

What's your take? Racism? I'm really interested in hearing your take on this.

by Anonymousreply 8311/08/2012

Did she dance around in some whitepeople's version of a "pow wow"?

Did she color her skin and talk in 'indian' speak?

No? IDGAF.

ONTD is also supplie 90% of it's tripe by publicists posting stories as "gossip". It's a pr site , not much more.

False controversy created to get publicity- and it's boring. Nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 111/01/2012

I won't even bother clicking on the link. Too many assholes screaming "racist" over nothing these days.

by Anonymousreply 211/01/2012

Nothing to see here.

by Anonymousreply 311/01/2012

The posters on that site on insane.

by Anonymousreply 411/01/2012

CDAN got a ton of attention after posting sensational gossip falsely attributed to Robert Downey Jr. The posts were copied across many different gossip sites, and flyovers started following this fraudulent site. Looks like CDAN is trying to take advantage of another potential controversy.

Unless Griffin has Native American blood, I think her bid for attention is totally inappropriate. Native Americans have publicly stated their disdain for appropriations of their cultural symbols for commercial purposes and farcical entertainment. Many have significant spiritual attachments as well. OP how would you feel if you learned that Germans were mass marketing kitty litter boxes made out of exact copies of the Statue of Liberty? Or from discarded American Flags?

by Anonymousreply 611/01/2012

r5, Yes it is hon. You think the average 16 yr old girl who visits ONTD is getting all those posts about KSTEW and ROB before the paid Publicists are?

It's a thinly veiled PR machine that feeds people's need to feel "in the know".

by Anonymousreply 811/01/2012

Oh and LOL at ONTD being the most PC of the class. Gimme a break.

They're sexist, Ageist and Fat jokes are the Norm. None of those posters are winning any humanitarian awards.

by Anonymousreply 911/01/2012

Its no more racist than if a white woman wears a kimono or a white hipster wears a keffiyeh.

by Anonymousreply 1011/01/2012

[quote]ONTD is full of 20 year olds who spent too much time in women's studies classes. That's why they're constantly outraged at nothing all the time.

Definitely.

[quote]They're sexist, Ageist and Fat jokes are the Norm. None of those posters are winning any humanitarian awards.

But they are also hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 1111/01/2012

[quote]how would you feel if you learned that Germans were mass marketing kitty litter boxes made out of exact copies of the Statue of Liberty?

I would say that must be one hell of a big cat if it needs a 300 foot tall litter box.

[quote]Or from discarded American Flags?

They're discarded, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 1211/01/2012

Cher wore the headdress often while touring.

Please think before you faux-rage.

by Anonymousreply 1311/01/2012

IDGAF

by Anonymousreply 1411/01/2012

Can someone tell me how to get paid to post stories on ONTD? So much of it is publicist's drivel.

by Anonymousreply 1511/01/2012

Yes, op its very well known but its also well known to be filled with comments by idiots and teenagers. So this isn't shocking. Another day, another chance to be vicious in that site.

by Anonymousreply 1611/01/2012

I did the same thing on my Halloween special last year and no one said dick to me.

by Anonymousreply 1711/01/2012

Considering the history of vicious abuse of Native Americans in this country, I suppose it's no more racist than if somebody dressed up as a slave from the Civil War era as their costume. Would you consider that racist? If you do, then so is this. Trail of tears, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 1811/01/2012

[quote]So huge that it was bought for millions.

Link?

[quote]It's more famous than Dlisted.

And this is an achievement?

by Anonymousreply 1911/01/2012

I wonder how gay men would feel if someone took all of the stereotypes about gay male culture and made a costume about it?

by Anonymousreply 2011/01/2012

R20 someone already did that. a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 2111/01/2012

Yeah, Kathy Griffin needs attention, and native americans are the easiest targets. Cher is about as Indian as John Wayne was. Nothing about her suggests Indian blood. Nothing! So they wear costumes for attention. You'll never see Kathy Griffin, or Cher, go to the reservations and volunteer their services.

by Anonymousreply 2211/01/2012

There's nothing about what she wore that is disrespectful. This is being overblown.

by Anonymousreply 2311/01/2012

Because you have to be entrenched in women's studies courses to muster fake outrage? You idiot's don't actually believe that do you?

by Anonymousreply 2411/01/2012

R20, one of my friends was liberace for halloween. does that count?

by Anonymousreply 2511/01/2012

I don't believe that ONTD got "bought" since it's just a blog post on LIVEJOURNAL, nothing else. Where the fuck is the link to it being "bought for millions"? Please.

by Anonymousreply 2611/01/2012

Amerindian themes were big in the 1970s. Remember that crying Amerindian commercial to stop littering?

I suspect many people jumped on the Amerindian bandwagon in the 1970s and claimed Amerindian heritage to gain status. Some people think because they have big cheekbones that they are part Amerindian. Cher, Shania Twain, and Elizabeth Warren have claimed Amerindian heritage, no doubt because of how they look.

by Anonymousreply 2711/01/2012

In Native American country, they're called "YMCA Indians". They are thought of as having "no soul". So the native americans will survive. But no one asked the average person on the reservation, privately, what they think of the Kathy Griffins, the Chers, the long, list of YMCA Indians. It's similar to what to ask black folks about black faces on actors.

by Anonymousreply 2811/01/2012

Who would have guessed that my ultra liberal hippie roommate in college who wore ponchos, moccasins and Bosnian slipper socks was really a secret racist?

by Anonymousreply 2911/01/2012

That "crying indian" was an Italian actor. He was fake, but he milked it to the max. And Cher, Kathy Griffin, et al, are fake, and also know what will get them attention.

by Anonymousreply 3011/01/2012

[quote]I don't believe that ONTD got "bought" since it's just a blog post on LIVEJOURNAL, nothing else. Where the fuck is the link to it being "bought for millions"? Please.

Did you ever hear of Wikipedia, tard?

Here's one article:

Buzz Media Nabs ‘Oh No They Didn’t’

Buzz Media Inc., publisher of a bunch of entertainment websites including Just Jared, The Superficial and GoFugYourself, has added another one to its portfolio, inking a deal with Oh

Buzz Media -- which also owns Buzznet, Celebuzz, WWTDD (What Would Tyler Durden Do?), SocialiteLife, music sites like Stereogum, Idolator and Absolute Punk and the official websites for Mischa Barton, Britney Spears, Kim Kardashian and Nicole Richie – was drawn to ONTD’s 2.6 million “mostly female” monthly users who power the Live Journal community.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

In 2008, Buzz Media bought The Superficial for $2.7 million – a figure that triggered a lawsuit against the seller, Karl Wang, who Buzz Media alleged had engaged in “fraudulent negotiating tactics” during the sale.

Last month, Buzz Media signed a pair of editors from rival celebrity sites – AOL/PopEater’s Mike Hess and TMZ’s Gillian Sheldon – to lead a yet-to-be-unveiled “celebrity project” slated to launch this fall.

by Anonymousreply 3111/01/2012

[quote][R5], Yes it is hon. You think the average 16 yr old girl who visits ONTD is getting all those posts about KSTEW and ROB before the paid Publicists are?

No, IT ISN'T, HON!

Its posts are from other sources. You need to source before posting, you know, a LINK.

Stop already, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 3211/01/2012

R7, I've never taken a women's studies class. However I know if another race or religion or nationality might be particularly offended by my actions, and I was a public figure likely to be papped, I'd avoid that behavior. There's a huge difference between wearing moccasins, because they're comfortable or fashionable, and wearing a Native American headdress which has deep symbolism. Likewise I would consider it wrong to burn the American flag or use it, even if soiled, as kitty litter. It shows insensitivity.

by Anonymousreply 3311/01/2012

I guess she had to take off her normal, everyday head attire:

by Anonymousreply 3411/01/2012

[quote]Cher was born Cherilyn Sarkisian in El Centro, California, on May 20, 1946.[4] Her father, John Sarkisian, was an Armenian American truck driver and drug addict with a gambling habit, while her mother, Georgia Holt (born Jackie Jean Crouch), was an aspiring actress and model with Irish, English, German and Cherokee descent.[1][4][5]

by Anonymousreply 3511/01/2012

She has no talent.

by Anonymousreply 3611/01/2012

Why is this thing in the media?

by Anonymousreply 3711/01/2012

Kathy's upset because she's getting so little ink these days. I've pushed her back on the D List.

by Anonymousreply 3811/01/2012

To the OP....not to be rude, but you being in your 20s has nothing to do with not having racial sensitivity. I'm in my 20s and I understand that certain things can be offensive, racism is also still around so I have no clue what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 3911/01/2012

[quote]Maybe I'm alone in thinking it's not racist. I'm in my 20s, so I'm not from some other generation that lived through black face.

You don't think you are racist, OP?

There is an old country saying; Pigs don't know pigs stink. Think about it.

by Anonymousreply 4011/01/2012

I love how white people are always the first to cry RACISM!! and get fake outraged on someone else's behalf.

by Anonymousreply 4111/01/2012

I completely agree, R41. It just goes to show that they are being scammed and everyone else knows it. With everyone else, it's always feigned outrage.

by Anonymousreply 4211/01/2012

[quote]They're sexist, Ageist and Fat jokes are the Norm. None of those posters are winning any humanitarian awards.

Yes. The ONTD posters are full of outrage and wrath about every -ism under the sun, while simultaneously indulging in those same isms all over the place. Self-righteous accusations of 'SEXISM!!!!' abound against everyone else on the planet, for example, but just visit any post featuring pictures of a female celeb and you will see negative critiques of her body, clothes, hair and makeup so detailed you'd swear they were all getting paid by the word. Raging hypocrisy is the norm there.

If ONTD got bought for millions, then for Christ's sake, get that shit off of Live Journal and put together a decent format. It's so 2002.

by Anonymousreply 4311/02/2012

[quote]To the OP....not to be rude, but you being in your 20s has nothing to do with not having racial sensitivity. I'm in my 20s and I understand that certain things can be offensive, racism is also still around so I have no clue what you're talking about.

A typical ONTD response would be that I grew up in a time period where racism was acceptable, so I just can't see it. They're already playing that card with Cher, saying that back then, what Cher was doing was perfectly acceptable because everyone was racist at the time. Apparently, we're suppose to be enlightened in 2012, and not behave like our forefathers.

ONTD hates white people like you wouldn't believe.

by Anonymousreply 4411/02/2012

[quote]I love how white people are always the first to cry RACISM!! and get fake outraged on someone else's behalf.

A majority of them on ONTD commenting are not white.

by Anonymousreply 4511/02/2012

What's the problem here?

by Anonymousreply 4611/02/2012

[quote]If ONTD got bought for millions, then for Christ's sake, get that shit off of Live Journal and put together a decent format. It's so 2002.

The site barely loads for me half the time and the format is horrible. Shocked that anybody would be even 2 cents for that place.

by Anonymousreply 4711/02/2012

R41, R42, Comedians have always pushed the boundaries of politically correct humor. Tell me did Griffin do this for any valid reason other than a very desperate attempt at pap attention? Then I say it's not just racism, but offensive for so many different reasons. I guess D-listers posing naked is so passe.

by Anonymousreply 4811/02/2012

Gwen Stefani dons Native American garb, tepees...

You can guess ONTD's reaction to this. lmao

It's like Gwen did this purposely to set them off.

Meltdown Take 2

by Anonymousreply 4911/02/2012

"once again gwen stefani proves herself to be a white ignoramus"

by Anonymousreply 5011/02/2012

[quote]I suspect many people jumped on the Amerindian bandwagon in the 1970s and claimed Amerindian heritage to gain status.

No. It was "Dances With Wolves." The American population skyrocketed with claims of Native heritage on the census. You can look it up. It's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 5111/02/2012

"seriously, i am tired of all this nonsense. i am tired of people using my culture for entertainment. i am tired of people dismissing my feelings. i am tired of not getting enough damn respect to even be listened to. indoctrinated racism is what this all boils down to. you don't think it's wrong because you have been raised in a society that tells you it's okay. i have had this crap shoved in my face my whole life. i have been made to feel like less than human. now my kids are having to go through the same thing. it's wrong.

i am from a chief's family on both my mom and dad's sides, my husband is in line to be chief when his dad passes. i am an actual native on the internet, holy shit. we do exist, and we have always hated this crap. even when our own do it, we hate it just as much if not worse when it's our own perpetuating this shit."

by Anonymousreply 5211/02/2012

Good god at those comments.

by Anonymousreply 5311/02/2012

Poor, poor, Kathy. Gone insane after her man left her (almost at the alter) for another MAN.

by Anonymousreply 5411/02/2012

ONTD is the place for fraus-in-training and for HIlary Duff's people to post boring candids of her getting coffee with her baby. BORING!

by Anonymousreply 5611/02/2012

You could make an entire thread on DL trolling the absolute nuttiness of ONTD.

by Anonymousreply 5711/02/2012

New Doubt removes the "offensive" video.

[quote]"As a multi-racial band our foundation is built upon both diversity and consideration for other cultures. Our intention with our new video was never to offend, hurt or trivialize Native American people, their culture or their history. Although we consulted with Native American friends and Native American studies experts at the University of California, we realize now that we have offended people. This is of great concern to us and we are removing the video immediately. The music that inspired us when we started the band, and the community of friends, family, and fans that surrounds us was built upon respect, unity and inclusiveness. We sincerely apologize to the Native American community and anyone else offended by this video. Being hurtful to anyone is simply not who we are.

by Anonymousreply 5811/03/2012

r45 I was talking about DL.

But I agree that ONTD is not white majority, and that as a whole it hates white people.

by Anonymousreply 5911/03/2012

r57 TRUE!! They would be lots more fun to troll than the Million Moms.

by Anonymousreply 6011/03/2012

ONTD was bought but most likely not for "millions". The VC (Venture Capitalist) money they got was $12.5m - as we know it mostly goes to the OWNER of the company, not to the "bloggers".

One day it will run out of money and that will be that. It's a blogging place & we all know that those are going down in popularity.

by Anonymousreply 6111/03/2012

The livejournal format drives me nuts. If it's so popular why haven't they migrated?

by Anonymousreply 6211/03/2012

this is r81, sorry the VC money BUZZMEDIA got was $12.5m NOT ONTD

by Anonymousreply 6311/03/2012

[quote]ONTD was bought but most likely not for "millions". The VC (Venture Capitalist) money they got was $12.5m - as we know it mostly goes to the OWNER of the company, not to the "bloggers"

No shit, Sherlock. The owner made millions. Posters are not bloggers. Once you're accepted as a member, which allows you to comment, you can submit posts. It's like how $18 members here can start threads. It's the same thing. We don't get paid. The site is not run by a small team of people. Anyone who becomes a member of the community gets to submit posts.

Ask to "join." Once they approve you, you're set to comment or post.

ONTD is not your typical gossip site. It's posts are made by readers. It's basically 'Wikipedia,' but moderated. It's not HuffPo. It's a Livejournal.

by Anonymousreply 6411/03/2012

[quote]this is [R81], sorry the VC money BUZZMEDIA got was $12.5m NOT ONTD

Duh. The owner of ONTD got millions.

by Anonymousreply 6511/03/2012

No you don't get what I said. Buzzmedia made $12.5 million from VC. The founder of ONTD did not make even $1m on the "sale" to BM. I'm betting they made $100 - $150k. That is it.

by Anonymousreply 6611/03/2012

The problem with the posters are that they are all 15 year old girls. When you start reading comments about doing homework and midterms...well how can anybody read that stuff?

Maybe it used to be a better site a few years ago but now it's just a groupthink teeniebopper blog.

by Anonymousreply 6711/03/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 6811/05/2012

Kathy is annoying. Gay men do not like her anymore and most are annoyed by her appointing herself as their spokesperson.

by Anonymousreply 6911/05/2012

Yes R69, she is so presumptuous.

by Anonymousreply 7011/05/2012

So who are all of these people commenting at ONTD? What is the demographic?

by Anonymousreply 7111/05/2012

15-25 year old girls, R71. And a few gay guys but not many.

by Anonymousreply 7211/06/2012

15-25 year olds, 90% girls, about 70% black, 90% straight

by Anonymousreply 7311/06/2012

I had no idea ONTD was 70% black. I thought the majority were just dumb suburban white girls.

That said, the level of stupidity seems to increase over there every year.

by Anonymousreply 7411/06/2012

Kathy Griffin isn't racist, she's just tacky and you can't put a person in jail just for being tacky.

by Anonymousreply 7511/06/2012

ONTD is not 90% black. It's all like overweight (a LOT of them talk about their trying to lose weight, I'm not being mean) women aged 15-30. I'd say it's 90% white, but NOW it seems everyone is full-blooded Native American.

by Anonymousreply 7611/06/2012

Wrong, r76.

by Anonymousreply 7711/06/2012

Kathy has worn her welcome out, her 15 minutes is over

by Anonymousreply 7811/06/2012

[quote]It's all like overweight (a LOT of them talk about their trying to lose weight, I'm not being mean) women aged 15-30.

A lot of them also talk about having social anxiety issues and can barely function. What a fucked up group of people.

by Anonymousreply 7911/06/2012

Oh, no. Native American headdress at Victoria's Secret show.

by Anonymousreply 8011/08/2012

R76, You don't have to have a drop of Native American blood to be sympathetic to another minority being publicly dissed, and for no valid reason other than cheap publicity and crass humor. Maybe it would shock you to know that likewise many straight white men that I know voted for Obama, because they felt that he represented ALL America, not just a select few of the privileged. They understood what it was like to be bullied or insulted, even though they are technically "part of the majority."

by Anonymousreply 8111/08/2012

f

by Anonymousreply 8211/08/2012

Suffering Sappho!

I'm certainly not from the US and I wear a costume based on iconic American images--the eagle and the US flag.

by Anonymousreply 8311/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.