Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Aspartame Is 100% Safe

and everyone else is a dirty, filthy liar?

So it was all a myth, sort of like 'fan death,' concocted by some random anti-Cola cunt?

Aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries worldwide, with FDA officials describing aspartame as "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved" and its safety as "clear cut", but has been the subject of several controversies, hoaxes and health scares.

A widely circulated email hoax cited aspartame as the cause of numerous diseases. The Center for Disease Control investigated and was unable to find any significant epidemiological associations to serious risk or harm.

Sounds like Datalounge:

Publicity of this controversy has been spread through an elaborate health scare and "Internet smear campaign" involving hoax e-mails repeating Betty Martini's widely circulated conspiracy theory. Her undocumented claims are still repeated by thousands of self-published Web sites.

An elaborate health scare, involving a hoax conspiracy theory disseminated on many Internet websites, attributes a host of deleterious medical effects to aspartame. This theory claims that the FDA approval process of aspartame was tainted and cites as its source an email based upon a supposed talk by a "Nancy Markle" (whose existence has never been confirmed) at a "World Environmental Conference." Specifically, the hoax websites allege that aspartame is responsible for multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, and methanol toxicity, causing "blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, birth defects" and death.

The "Markle" email was in large parts identical to many messages posted by Betty Martini to Usenet newsgroups in late 1995 and early 1996 about her claimed talk at a "World Environmental Conference". Although the content was traced back to her, Martini claims that an unknown person combined her original letter with other information and redistributed it as "Nancy Markle." Martini's email has been described as an "Internet smear campaign ... Its contents were entirely false, misleading, and defamatory to various popular products and their manufacturers, with no basis whatever in fact.

Martini says that there is a conspiracy between the FDA and the producers of aspartame, and her conspiracy theory (repeated by "Markle") has become a canonical example discussed on several Internet conspiracy theory and urban legend websites. Although most of the allegations of this theory contradict the bulk of medical evidence, this misinformation has spread around the world as chain emails since mid-December 1998, influencing many websites as an urban legend that continues to scare consumers.

The dissemination of the "Nancy Markle" letter was considered so notable that the Media Awareness Network featured one version of it in a tutorial on how to determine the credibility of a web page. The tutorial implied that the "Markle" letter was not credible and stated that it should not be used as an authoritative source of information.

Dean Edell warned very strongly against the "Markle" letter:

Beware The E-Mail Hoax: The Evils Of Nutrasweet (Aspartame)

A highly inaccurate "chain letter" is being circulated via e-mail warning the reader of the health dangers of aspartame (Nutrasweet) diet drinks. There is so much scientific untruth in it, it's scary. Be careful, because others know how to manipulate you by this. Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific. The e-mail is outrageous enough to state that the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation is suing the FDA for collusion with Monsanto ... Bogus, totally bogus. You've got to be careful of these Internet hoaxes. When you read health information online, be sure to know the source of the information you are reading, okay?

by Anonymousreply 5011/01/2012

Everyone should try it out and then switch to stevia.

It comes from a South American plant that is now grown in many countries.

The Japanese swear by the stuff. Usage is growing by leaps and bounds in the USA.

10X sweeter than sucrose by volume.

Good, natural stuff, not some lab chemical.

by Anonymousreply 111/01/2012

Aspartame was allowed to be put on the market with an FDA approval that was shortened - reportedly for political reasons during the Reagan administration. I never heard that it was tainted - just that the company was not required to go through the usual testing process.

I remember specifically that I was looking for a diet drink I liked after I started law school because I was eating on the run. I started drinking Diet Ginger Ale that had the NEW aspertame in about 1982 or 83 and it was the first food or drink that ever gave me a headache - real headaches - I never get headaches. I have avoided it ever since. The headaches stopped when I stopped drinking it.

It may have been a coincidence but it was a pretty specific food change.

by Anonymousreply 211/01/2012

I switched to Stevia, actually Truvia, because of the health scares around Aspartame. I make kool aid with Truvia and the only flavor that I think works with it is pink lemonade. I hadn't tasted diet coke for a few years, but tried it again recently. Whether or not it's safe, it not nearly as tasty as Truvia lemonade.

by Anonymousreply 311/01/2012

I don't care if it's safe, it makes me feel dizzy and disoriented. Splenda too. Better idea is to wean off sweet drinks altogether.

by Anonymousreply 411/01/2012

Aspartame was controversial long before the internet was even available to the general public. So some chain letter was a hoax (aren't they all?) that doesn't automatically disqualify any other concerns about its safety or suitability.

by Anonymousreply 511/01/2012

That Mercola guy is a quack, just remember that.

by Anonymousreply 611/01/2012

Aspartame is perfectly fine and so is MSG.

by Anonymousreply 711/01/2012

I think even if it IS now not found to be unsafe, that psychologically it will continue to repel people based upon "mindset." You know, you learn to stay away from something and you just can't get back to "Oh,okay, this is fine." Who can do the "OH, we were wrong all along." You just can't unring that bell.

That, plus there are just too many other options. Truvia is GREAT.

If you go down the soft drink aisle of any supermarket, particularly in the midwest, nearly all of the diet drinks use phenylketoneurics (which, I think, is aspartame or a reasonably heinous equivalent) and that stuff just makes me quite ill. Headaches, heart palpitations, nausea. It's BAD. I think Diet Rite is one of the very few that uses Splenda. It's like hitting the lottery to FIND a diet drink that uses Splenda. They do make Diet Coke with Splenda but it is not nearly as available. I just think that so many fat Americans are gulping that shit and slowly poisoning themselves.

by Anonymousreply 811/01/2012

I had no idea that Aspartame was bad for you, until I listened to Coast to Coast radio. I stopped drinking diet cokes.

I also heard that DICK Chaney was involved in manufactoring this stuff.

Here's what it causes if you drink too much of it:

In addition to blindness, a report produced by the Department of Health and Human Services lists over 90 symptoms related to aspartame, including: migraine headaches, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain. The following chronic illnesses are triggered or worsened by ingesting aspartame: Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 911/01/2012

As usual, the blame is apportioned:

1.) women with a death fear of "chemicals" and "toxins," who see them everywhere, in the seemingly innocuous patterns of their wallpaper; who don't want their children innoculated; who argue that breast cancer is caused by toxic chemical and can be cured by eating grapefruit; that cancer screening is more dangerous than cancer.

2.) fans of chiropractic "medicine."

3.) weed smokers who see, like, evil toxins everywhere (yet don't mind stinking up the place and making themselves even stupider by puffing away on their natural substance.)

by Anonymousreply 1011/01/2012

[quote] I also heard that DICK Chaney was involved in manufactoring this stuff.

Just, no.

by Anonymousreply 1111/01/2012

Do you guys think that sucralose is any better? Some say yes, and I like the way it tastes. I've been avoiding aspartame for the reasons mentioned above. As a matter of fact, I've given up all sodas, diet and regular, save for the occasional fast-food meal.

by Anonymousreply 1211/01/2012

I developed Vertigo while drinking diet cokes at a daily basis. As soon as I stopped drinking it, the Vertigo was gone.

by Anonymousreply 1311/01/2012

OMG, will you hothouse fraucunts go back to iVillage, please?

by Anonymousreply 1411/01/2012

Aspartame is basically a di-peptide, that is to say two amino acids, aspartate and phenylalanine. Amino acids as I am sure most of you know are the building block (components) of protein. This is of course common knowledge among food scientists and legitimate nutrition clinicians (e.g. dietitians). Aspartame is harmless and can be viewed as a very poor quality protein.

Since research suggests that those who use sugar substitutes tend to make up the lost calories elsewhere I don't promote its use, or any other low calorie sweetener for that matter.

You really cannot go wrong with real food. Sugar is not great for you of course because it provides only energy- but keep in mind all carbohydrate is digested down to simple sugars and absorbed as the same, and resynthesized to glucose in the liver which is the only sugar that circulate in blood. I always get a kick out of people saying sugar is poison. Fact is glucose is essential for human life- red and white blood cells and the adrenal medulla can only use glucose for energy. Nervous tissue including the brain is also dependent mostly on glucose. Good way to kill someone is to give them an insulin hot shot which forces glucose into cells depriving the brain of necessary glucose. That is how Claus Von Bulow did in his wife Sunny!

by Anonymousreply 1511/01/2012

[quote]That is how Claus Von Bulow did in his wife Sunny!

Prove it.

by Anonymousreply 1611/01/2012

Insulin cannot be detected once injected- it moves into cells very quickly. Sunny Von Bulow reside for years up at the Harkness Pavillion at Presbyterian Hospital (in those days) before going to a nursing home on the East Side where she eventually died. On rounds with medical staff she was described as a classic case of peristance vegetative state cause by brain cells death due to glucose deprivation (since there was not way it was due to oxygen deprivation).

The only way that can happen is via an insulin injection. Now maybe she did it herself, but no one believed that for a minute.

I think Claus killed her. In the first trial, he was convicted. But since the evidence came from a private detective hired by her children, and Alan D. got that evidence throwm out of a technicalilty, he was aquited in the second trial. Who says you cannot get away with murder? (At least he never got her fortune.)

by Anonymousreply 1711/01/2012

Here is a quote from "The Science of Cooking":

"Upon ingestion, aspartame breaks down into several constituent chemicals, including aspartic acid, phenylalanine, methanol, and further breakdown products including formaldeyhyde[5] and formic acid. There is some controversy surrounding the rate of breakdown into these various products and the effects that they have on those that consume aspartame-sweetened foods..."

Formaldehyde is also produce when you drink too much, and your natural metabolism of ethanol is overtaxed. Formaldehyde is what causes the headache/nausea/ill feeling of a hangover. I quit drinking it because, after I had brain surgery, Istarted getting severe headaches and vomiting after drinking diet sodas.

by Anonymousreply 1811/01/2012

Next spring when you're at your favorite garden store and you see the bedding plants, see if your store carries stevia.

If it does, pinch a small leaf and pop it in your mouth.

"Mince" it with your incisors.

The sweetness will be astounding, almost overwhelming.

Stevia all the way for me.

by Anonymousreply 1911/01/2012

R1 ughh how can you stand the taste of stevia? to me it's vile in or on anything, no thanks!! I avoid anything it's in like the plague.

by Anonymousreply 2011/01/2012

Great, more for me, R20.

Recommend you OD on saccharine, aspartame, and Splenda.

Eat up, don't hold back now!

by Anonymousreply 2111/01/2012

Given the alternatives like stevia, Splenda, and the new Nectresse, why risk it?

If people are getting headaches and other side effects from aspartame, prudence would suggest avoiding it.

by Anonymousreply 2211/01/2012

It's never given me a headache.

by Anonymousreply 2311/01/2012

This debate has been around for a LONG time. There are studies that show it is "safe" but others that show problems. Regardless of OVERALL safeness, any individual could still react badly to it like anything else. So, if you personally think its affecting you, ween yourself off of it.

by Anonymousreply 2411/01/2012

I'm Oprah, and even I don't touch aspartame. I won't eat a burger either.

by Anonymousreply 2511/01/2012

[quote]It's never given me a headache.

But then I'll wager you've never had your cranium cracked open for brain surgery like R18. He has the superior anecdote, hence the truer truth.

by Anonymousreply 2611/01/2012

My life won't be worsened in any way by steering clear of aspartame and high fructose corn syrup.

by Anonymousreply 2711/01/2012

This is the same FDA that allows fluoroquinolone antibiotics to be handed out like candy. Fluoroquinolone antibiotics are crippling poisons.

by Anonymousreply 2811/01/2012

Never heard of them, R28. What are they, and what are they used for?

by Anonymousreply 2911/01/2012

OP, you sound fat. Fat fat fat.

Why are you bothering us with your obsessions? Why don't you just moderate your intake of disgusting commercial fat-girl swill and eat real food like real adults do? Because there is a special kind of pathetic that is associated with human blimps with icing in the corners of their mouths nagging about the safety of chemicals that would be unnecessary if they weren't addicts in denial.

As for diabetics, it's a different issue altogether. But you're not speaking for the diabetic community, are you, Chunky?

by Anonymousreply 3011/01/2012

R29 You've likely heard of them: Cipro, Levaquin and Avelox are the main ones used today. Most of the others have already been banned from use. Doctors will tell you they're safe. They're NOT. They do tremendous harm to not only bacteria, but to the human body as well. Here's a PBS piece about them...

by Anonymousreply 3111/01/2012

Thank you very much, R31! I appreciate the heads up.

by Anonymousreply 3211/01/2012

R31 -- do you remember just after 9/11 when many started Cipro as a precaution after the anthrax scare?

Is there data about reactions seen among that population?

by Anonymousreply 3311/01/2012

Funny you should mention that, R33. Yes, in fact so many postal workers became CRIPPLED by Cipro that they filed a class action lawsuit against Bayer (the maker of the drug). Here's an article about that:

by Anonymousreply 3411/01/2012

r30, we're not talking about weight, but if taking Aspartame is risky. Keep that in mind, and on topic!

by Anonymousreply 3511/01/2012

R3 Wow ... someone who has LITERALLY "drunk the Kool-Aid!"

by Anonymousreply 3611/01/2012

The food coloring of "pink" is much safer to digest than any other food coloring, r36.

by Anonymousreply 3711/01/2012

Who is Prudence?

by Anonymousreply 3811/01/2012

[quote]Who is Prudence?

Halliwell?

by Anonymousreply 3911/01/2012

Aspartame is **not** safe.

I know a commercial chemist, now a prof, who warned all her family off it after doing research on it. She said it was damaging to the body & also a cancer risk.

This woman is totally science-based and not an alarmist.

I stopped drinking anything with it after that.

by Anonymousreply 4011/01/2012

Thanks R40. What were the specific warnings/concerns she had about it?

by Anonymousreply 4111/01/2012

Thx r40 for the warning!

by Anonymousreply 4211/01/2012

Here's a full documentary on the dangers of aspartame:

by Anonymousreply 4311/01/2012

Let's name everything we should avoid in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4411/01/2012

R30, you self-appointed but too-stupid-to-read hall monitor and obvious loon, if you don't understand the relationship of sugar replacements and obesity you shouldn't bother spouting your crap. And if you can't discern the OP's underlying motives in starting this shill-like and confused thread, you shouldn't attempt to play.

Do you even know where you're posting, you cunt? Excuse me. You fat cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4511/01/2012

R20, try this stevia. It tastes great and has no aftertaste.

When I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic I discovered stevia but I did not like the aftertaste until I found this brand. This product dissolves beautifully so I use it in tea or coffee, even cold drinks, and no aftertaste at all.

by Anonymousreply 4611/01/2012

She claimed that is was a carcinogen and caused cell damage.

She wasn't more specific regarding symptoms, but she insisted it was not a good chemical.

by Anonymousreply 4711/01/2012

[quote]You really cannot go wrong with real food.

Exactly. I have no idea how safe or unsafe aspartame may be, but why not skip the nasty-ass lab-manufactured chemicals, and eat real foods found in nature, and you won't have to trouble yourself with these questions.

by Anonymousreply 4811/01/2012

[quote]Aspartame is perfectly fine and so is MSG.

In moderation, just like HFCS.

by Anonymousreply 4911/01/2012

This too.

by Anonymousreply 5011/01/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!