Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I invited some friends over for dinner next Saturday

Shit. It was on a whim and now I have no idea what to do. They have me over for dinner all the time and I felt I needed to return the favor.

Help! What should I make?

There will be four of us.

by Anonymousreply 4911/07/2012

Can you cook? If not, order in.

by Anonymousreply 110/31/2012

Here you go:

by Anonymousreply 210/31/2012

There must be something you can cook.

by Anonymousreply 310/31/2012

Make sure you know if they have any food allergies or diet restrictions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 410/31/2012

I'm an OK cook. I can manage in the kitchen and even make a few really good things. But they've already had those things.

One of the people I've invited is a really good, adventurous cook. He's not a snob (fortunately) and appreciates anything anyone makes for him. But I would still like to impress him a little bit. Or at least give him a meal he enjoys.

His partner can't boil water so him I'm not worried about.

by Anonymousreply 510/31/2012

OP how do you feel about Foie gras and Veal?

by Anonymousreply 610/31/2012

Pork tenderloin, marinated in equal parts soy sauce, brown sugar and bourbon and broiled. Serve with sour cream doctored with a little horseradish, lemon juice, worcestershire and a hot sauce. I had this at a friend's a few weeks ago and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 710/31/2012

Pizza!

by Anonymousreply 810/31/2012

Mostly stick with what you know but maybe try a noticeable variation somewhere

by Anonymousreply 910/31/2012

If kids are involved make it something they can relate to like chicken planks, pizza, fried chicken or sketti and meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 1010/31/2012

Short ribs or brisket or some braised meat thing. You can make it the day before and then just reheat it (and it's actually better if you do) so most of your cooking and cleaning are already done before the guests arrive. Google the pot roast recipe from the restaurant JAR in L.A. Or the short ribs recipe from the Balthazar cookbook. Both look a little scary at first, but really very simple and great.

by Anonymousreply 1110/31/2012

Go back to iVillage, frau @ R10

by Anonymousreply 1210/31/2012

make a cassoulet. it's a bit laborious but simple to make. serve it with the best fresh crusty peasant bread that money can buy. Serve with an equally good Cabernet Franc.

Buy dessert. A place near me does mini molten chocolate cakes. Get something like that.

by Anonymousreply 1310/31/2012

There are no children involved in this dinner party. Unless I decide to cook one (HALLOWEEN JOKE!!!!)

No allergies, restrictions, or weird preferences either. These guys will eat anything.

I did make some rather spectacular meatballs last week. I still have a bunch in the freezer. My sauce was good too. I made it from scratch. I could whip that up with some spaghetti.

Whaddya think? Too childish?

by Anonymousreply 1410/31/2012

OP why didn't you answer my question at R6 ?

by Anonymousreply 1510/31/2012

Keep it simple and good, OP. Where you'll get in trouble is in trying too hard.

That broiled pork recipe sounds wonderful, as do the braised meats in another post. A big pot of stew or chili is always nice, with a choice of lots of condiments and good hot bread.

by Anonymousreply 1610/31/2012

[quote]OP why didn't you answer my question at [R6] ?

Fine. I don't feel very good about either foie gras or veal.

It's not an ethical thing. I have no ethics. I just wouldn't know what to do with either of them.

by Anonymousreply 1710/31/2012

Almost everybody I know loves spaghetti and meatballs, OP. All you need is hot garlic bread and a green salad and you've got a meal.

by Anonymousreply 1810/31/2012

Coq au vin is actually very easy to make and tasty on a cold fall day. You can even make it in a crockpot if you want. Serve with a simple salad and some crusty peasant bread. A cheese plate can be added as an appetizer or dessert, or a simple chocolate mousse would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 1910/31/2012

oven braised pork ribs with rice. Do it the day before and you can skim off the fat.

One of those non-recipe recipes, you can't fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 2010/31/2012

Easiest thing would be a Chinese hot pot... you prepare a broth and then have all the raw ingredients on table - veggies, meat, fish balls, etc. - and then every dunks whatever they want into the pot and then fish it out, dip it into a satay sauce and eat.

It's healthy and easy but you kind of have to go through it once to know how it's done.

Maybe you can find a Chinese hot pot place in town and go experience it once.

You can buy the satay sauce from a Chinese supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 2110/31/2012

[quote]There are no children involved in this dinner party. Unless I decide to cook one

That was funny OP ;)

If you want to do pasta, do a creamy carbonara, not spaghetti and meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 2210/31/2012

Moroccan Beef Stew, crusty bread, an earthy, peppery red wine.

by Anonymousreply 2310/31/2012

Love these "Fast and Fancy" recipes!

*Roasted Baby Potatoes with Rosemary

*Green Beans and Portobello Mushroom Saute

*Beef Tenderloin Steaks with Gorgonzola

*Orange Cream Liqueur Dessert

by Anonymousreply 2410/31/2012

Brilliant suggestions for the OP @r13.

However, if you can't find duck legs, the recipe for Coq au Vin at the same website looks delicious. Easy to follow instructions and pictures are provided.

There was a whole VOTN thread about Coq au Vin and Dutch ovens a few months ago.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 2510/31/2012

Bucket of chicken.

by Anonymousreply 2610/31/2012

Make sure you have great wine and a really big fresh salad. Also fesh bread or rolls.

The type of meat is inconsequential. Whatever you cook, don't overlook it and dry it out.

Roasted baby new potatoes is an easy side dish. Also fresh green beans.

Where you can get fancy is with a couple of great home made vinaigrettes for the salad, appetizers, a starter soup, and dessert.

Here would be my menu: Appetizers - smoked salmon on cocktail pumpernickel with whipped cream cheese & capers; cherry tomato stuffed with mozzarella ball and basil leaf; Baby endive with goat cheese and topped with a candied walnut. If you want to and are able to, cracked baby crab claws on ice accompanied with a remoulade would be amazing.

Soup - small bowl or cup of butternut squash soup

Salad - a big simple salad of fresh baby greens, grape tomatoes, cucumbers (cleaned of seeds, please!) with a simple vinaigrette and also a blueberry ginger vinaigrette. I have blue cheese on the side as well as croutons. Serve with the freshest bread or rolls you can lay your hands on.

Main course - roast pork shoulder with peach sauce (recipe at link), baby new potatoes and green beans

Cheese - small tray of assorted fresh cheese, dried fruit & nuts, served with port and brandy (this buys you a little time to assemble dessert)

Dessert - Creme brûlée with fresh berries and fresh whipped cream

by Anonymousreply 2710/31/2012

These are some great ideas! Keep 'em coming.

Keep in mind that I'll be doing all of the cooking and prep work muyself. I do have a BF and he'll be there but he'll be busy working and won't have time to help. And that's fine, I don't mind. I just need him to show up and be charming.

by Anonymousreply 2811/01/2012

OP, I have a great potato recipe that goes perfectly with ham, ribs, anything pork based. But you can serve them with anything really. We love them with BBQ ribs especially.

Now I must warn you... they are NOT healthy... but they are delicious and the men especially go crazy for them. You can actually prepare them in a pan the night before, cover with foil and throw in the refrigerator. That way, they will be all ready to throw in the oven the day of your dinner.

Let me know if you want me to post the recipe here.

by Anonymousreply 2911/01/2012

R10, your entire post is asinine (why would there be "kids involved"??), but mostly I want to stab your face for actually typing out "sketti".

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 3011/01/2012

Post away, R29. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 3111/01/2012

R30 is a little harsh, but I agree about that abomination he put in quotes, which I can't bring myself to type. It's not cute even when children say it (& they should not be encouraged to do so), but there's no excuse for an adult using it in any form.

by Anonymousreply 3211/01/2012

R29, et al, don't tease us. Post away.

And, while baby new potatoes are lovely, it is now autumn. They are primarily available in the spring when they are babies. And new.

by Anonymousreply 3311/01/2012

You have the meatballs - ground them back up again into a meat sauce and serve with a small portion of a unique pasta, bucatini, perciatelli, pappardelle, or something like that, as a first course. Takes spaghetti and meatballs and makes it something a little more unique.

And then a meat for a main course, - pork loin, roasted chicken, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3411/01/2012

Ok, here is the potato recipe. I know the ingredients sound ghastly, arteries are sure to be clogged... but honestly these potatoes are so good! Definitely "man food".

- 1 bag of hash browns (squares, not shredded), THAWED

- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked (you can buy the bacon that is already cooked if you want)

- 1 pt (16oz) jar of mayonnaise

- sweet onion, chopped, about 1/2 - 3/4 cup

- 8 oz of Velveeta cheese (I know, I know...)

- 1 tsp pepper

Throw the potatoes in a large bowl and let them thaw. Tear up the cooked bacon into small bits and add to the bowl. Add the chopped onion and mix well.

Heat a medium sized saucepan to low-medium temp. Cut Velveeta into chunks and throw in saucepan to melt, stir frequently. Then add the mayonnaise and pepper. Melt together and mix, stirring frequently. Pour the mixture into the bowl of potatoes and mix altogether.

Lightly spray with non-stick spray a 9 x 13 pan (glass is better if you have one) and pour it all in, spread evenly. You can prepare the day before, cover, and put in fridge if you want.

When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350. Bake uncovered for approx 45 min - 1 hour, it will depend on your oven and how brown you want the potatoes. I usually like to let them get a little brown, the guys love that part... this is where the glass pan is important, you can watch the bottom so that they just brown a little but not burn. Tell your guests that they will need to salt to their taste.

These potatoes are also excellent for breakfast or brunch.

Have a great time at your dinner party! Come back and tell us how it went.

by Anonymousreply 3511/01/2012

How about steak frites? It's fairly simple and tasty.

I could grill a couple of large steaks and serve them sliced with some kind of herb butter or sauce. And I could make sweet potatoe frites with a chipotle/mayo dip.

Add a green salad and voila!

by Anonymousreply 3611/01/2012

The problem with something like steak frites, OP, is that it is very labor intensive for a half hour before serving so you are away from your guests. I prefer to have something that can be made ahead with very little prep just before mealtime. I think spaghetti and meatballs is a great idea.

by Anonymousreply 3711/01/2012

Pasta

Sauce

Bread

Chianti

by Anonymousreply 3811/01/2012

OP, I often make a variation of this brined pork chop recipe from Anne Burrel. You do need to start the chops brining a couple of days before cooking them, but that means that you have less to do on the night of the dinner. The flavor is excellent and everyone I've served these to has raved. I use one inch boneless loin chops instead of bone-in rib chops because I can't usually find those in my local markets.

I followed most of the recipe the first time, and made an adjustment thereafter. She called for brining the chops for three days, and with as much salt as she has in the recipe, they were just too salty for me. Now I cut both the salt and sugar down, and only brine for two days. One might be enough, but I haven't tried that yet. She also calls for coating the fat layer with fennel pollen. You can skip that.

I sometimes brine up a lot of these at once, freeze individually and toss them into freezer bags so I can have them ready to grill on short notice.

by Anonymousreply 3911/01/2012

R35 shares today's recipe for vomit.

by Anonymousreply 4011/01/2012

Be sure to show them around London.

by Anonymousreply 4111/01/2012

r35's recipe is simply criminal. And as r40 said, it is vomitous.

by Anonymousreply 4211/01/2012

r35 = Chez Flyover Cafe

by Anonymousreply 4311/01/2012

If you do decide to go with sketti, here's a good recipe.

by Anonymousreply 4411/01/2012

Well OP? How's it going?

by Anonymousreply 4511/04/2012

Dinner's been postponed until the Saturday after next, which gives me more time to plan and prepare. And worry and fuss.

I'm more or less decided on steak frites and a simple green salad. Ina Garten has a recipe for French bistro steaks that sounds nice. I'll grill a few of those on the stovetop griddle thing I just bought and slice them up and voila!

I also found a nice recipe for oven frites but I can't remember where I saw it. tossed in herbs. Thyme and something else I think. Also simple and flavourful.

Appetizers will be simple. A cheese platter on the coffee table with crackers and grapes.

I'm not sure about dessert yet. I'm tempted to just buy something at a good local bakery.

by Anonymousreply 4611/06/2012

R27 you must be a fat cow, they are not going to be staying for a week

by Anonymousreply 4711/06/2012

OP you had everyone in such a frenzy, you could'nt come up with some better choices?

by Anonymousreply 4811/06/2012

LOL R48

OP, what's the "stovetop griddle thing" ??

by Anonymousreply 4911/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.