Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Toni Braxton: Oprah "who changes her bed sheets every day" Winfrey Was Mean to Me

Toni Braxton is not an R&B diva that forgives and forgets so easily, especially when it comes to TV titans who have their own networks.

The singer turned reality TV star recalled being slammed in a 1998 sit-down with Oprah Winfrey. Lady O took Braxton to task for her irresponsible spending habits, which ultimately led to her bankruptcy filing years later.

“She was so frickin’ mean to me, I was in shock,” Braxton recounted in a taped segment for the music series, Behind the Music. “I couldn’t believe it because I loved her so much…She pretty much reprimanded me.”

As Braxton remembers it, Winfrey’s shaming of her didn’t end there. Oprah reportedly told Toni, “I hear you have Gucci flatware; I’m Oprah Winfrey and I don’t have Gucci flatware.” Squeezing her thumb and forefinger together, the Braxton Family Values star added, “She made me feel this big.”

by Anonymousreply 10402/23/2015

Is it possible to have a polite, supportive, and respectful conversation with such a damn fool?

by Anonymousreply 110/31/2012

I wish she'd never breathe again

by Anonymousreply 210/31/2012

Not really working out for you the way you thought it would with your whining, is it, Toni?

by Anonymousreply 510/31/2012

"I'm Oprah Winfrey and I don't have [ ... ]" is my new DL meme du jour.

by Anonymousreply 610/31/2012

Oprah was insensitive to Toni. O is always sucking up to stars but not Toni? Please, Oprah is the one who's out of touch.

Toni had a gag order back in the 90s and couldn't talk about the lawsuit she had against Laface records, which is the time she appeared on Oprah. Toni's first royalty cheque was $2k after selling 20 million records. She went bankrupt, sued Laface and Arista and WON against them when the judge saw how bad the contract was. Today, there's no gag order and she can talk about it which shows how messed up the music industry really is.

As for the second bankruptcy it wasn't a bankruptcy but a bankruptcy protection, to avoid creditors in getting her stuff after her Las Vegas show, which was set for 6 months but last almost 2 years because it was constantly sold out, had to close when Toni almost had a heart attack because of Lupus.

The news are quick to announce the bankruptcies but didn't mention anything about the reasons behind them.

by Anonymousreply 710/31/2012

I've always admired Braxton for her autism awareness PSA.

by Anonymousreply 810/31/2012

Uh oh, the Janet Jackson troll has morphed into the Toni Braxton troll @ R7!!!

by Anonymousreply 910/31/2012

OMFG, r9, you bet me to it!!!

by Anonymousreply 1010/31/2012

Gucci flatware? As if! Everyone knows Oprah shops at Hermes.

by Anonymousreply 1210/31/2012

"Those who possess excessive material wealth have overdrawn their spiritual bank account in terms of those things which cannot be measured as name brands."

"Why write a rubber check onto one's very soul when you haven't the spirituality to maintain and therefore contain a bank account which is as overdrawn and overwrought as one's heart is towards that which one posses materialistically and not spiritually?"

by Anonymousreply 1310/31/2012

r11, I don't think white people who come into money behave differently. New money is new money, and that's why old money sneers at it. The term nouveau riche predates Flavor Flav.

by Anonymousreply 1410/31/2012

Have any of you ever watched Got 2B Real, a ridiculous web series which has black divas arguing, insulting each other, talking shit, etc. The creator (who must have a ton of time on his hands) stitches together existing interview clips and then voices all of the divas.

Patti Labelle, Aretha, Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, MJB, Beyonce, Mariah, Rihannah, Janet, Toni B., just to name a few.

It's very funny, though it's best enjoyed in small doses as it can become repetitive.

by Anonymousreply 1610/31/2012

[quote]but black people who come from nothing into sudden wealth often have no clue how to control themselves, and often end up right back where they started.

It has less to do with self control than it does with the families behind wealthy black people. Black celebs usually come from poor to modest living large families. And because of the economic disparity, the celebrity ends up supporting a slew of family members out of guilt. White celebs more often than not have parents who dont need their money, or they are estranged from them. Toni AND Oprah's mothers are dependent on their daughters for income. Whitney Houston gave jobs to most of her in-laws and cut a lot of them off when she divorced Bobby Brown. Queen Latifah supports a lot of her family members. I wont even start on the Jacksons.

r7 is correct. Toni Braxton was hardly the only big artist that got duped by LaFace. TLC held LA Reid at gunpoint because LaFace was robbing them blind. Usher also left LaFace. Toni's second bankruptcy was largely tied to that Las Vegas show.

I personally dont care for Toni's attitude, but she earned way more than she got credit for in the 90s and she fell into one bad circumstance after the other. People should not crucify her.

by Anonymousreply 1710/31/2012

I know you want me!

by Anonymousreply 1910/31/2012

OMG I LOVED that Octomom smackdown!!! That was quality TV! The loon deserved it, and more! Suze saw right through Nadya's bullshit, and O saw right through her plastic surgeries. Act the fool, get treated like a fool.

by Anonymousreply 2010/31/2012

This is the story of my control, and I got lots of it!

by Anonymousreply 2110/31/2012

Toni is full of it. She's being sued for bankruptcy fraud now.

by Anonymousreply 2210/31/2012

This thread is useless without pics of the Gucci flatware.

by Anonymousreply 2310/31/2012

[quote]Unbounce my check.....say you'll cash it againnnnn......

LOL! WW!

by Anonymousreply 2410/31/2012

[quote]Ok, ban me.

Don't worry, R11, I've already FFd you. Your ignorance knows no bounds.

by Anonymousreply 2510/31/2012

[quote]Uh oh, the Janet Jackson troll has morphed into the Toni Braxton troll @ [R7]!!!

Why? Because both women are BLACK????

by Anonymousreply 2610/31/2012

So one reply equals troll? Amazing. The Troll threshold is really low these days. Anyway, here's Toni in her own words interviewed for the L.A. Times.

What do you want the public to know about your two bankruptcies?

What a lot of people don't know is my [2010] bankruptcy was because of illness. I have heart disease, but it's because I have lupus. So I had to cancel my Vegas show and all the upcoming concerts. The doctors said I'd probably never be able to perform like that again and do 10 shows in two weeks' time. It was too much for my body.

I canceled the show, and that happened in 2008. I couldn't work. I'm slowly getting my body ready. I went to Russia in the [reality] show, but I haven't been able to do five shows in one week. I also have chronic fatigue episodes, so I have to be very careful of recurring pericarditis. I read somewhere that I owed BMW. I don't own a BMW. If they really look at the ledger they'll see things like, she owes lighting companies, staging companies, set companies. Vegas shows are very expensive. I don't think people understand that the person headlining the show, that's your show. You pay for the lights, you pay for the stage, you pay the unions. So I had all these outstanding contracts when I canceled.

And everyone says, but this is your second bankruptcy, but they don't know. My royalty statement after "Unbreak My Heart" and that big album, "Secrets," was less than $2,000.

How is that possible?

It's just the way the music business is. Let's say you get 35 cents a record. The record company spent $20 million on your project. You have to pay all that money they invested, and what's left over, you get. Then they give you an advance on the future, which puts you further and further in debt. So I was forced to file bankruptcy, but I had to sign a gag order immediately.

But I'm very lucky. My case was a pioneering case for artists. [Bankruptcy law held that] if [a recording] artist files for bankruptcy, all contracts will be null and void, except for your recording contract. And Congress [tossed out that exception in bankruptcy reform legislation]. So my case helped a lot of other artists. I was not trying to be a pioneer. Let me raise my hand to that. However, it worked out, it helped others.

by Anonymousreply 2810/31/2012

Admit it R28, you're the Janet Jackson troll.

by Anonymousreply 2910/31/2012

R29, no dear. I am the Janet fan (aka Janbot to you people).

by Anonymousreply 3010/31/2012

Sorry but being the Janet Jackson troll would be too exhausting for me.

by Anonymousreply 3110/31/2012

We use only Cartier flatware.

by Anonymousreply 3310/31/2012

Y'all want this too!

by Anonymousreply 3410/31/2012

R32 You don't understand...the Janbot (turned Tonbot) while monopolize a thread if allowed to proceed. Never has this world seen such a voracious and dedicated fan.

by Anonymousreply 3510/31/2012

R35, apparently reading isn't your strong suit. The Toni fan is not me, and I am not the Toni fan. Understand?

by Anonymousreply 3610/31/2012

Suuuuuure ;) We believe you! You just happen to be on this thread at the same time the "Tonbot" is. Yea, yea--we believe you! ;)

by Anonymousreply 3710/31/2012

We do not understand. We are Tonibot. We will assimilate all non-Toni fans into the collective.

by Anonymousreply 3810/31/2012

R37, just do trolldar, sweetie. Are you new here?

by Anonymousreply 3910/31/2012

How did this turn from a Toni vs Oprah thread to a JanBot vs the World thread?

by Anonymousreply 4010/31/2012

She never thought maybe Oprah was right? Dumb skank.

by Anonymousreply 4110/31/2012

She deserved everything Oprah threw at her, and I don't even like Oprah. Didn't she file for bankruptcy a 2nd time? I seem to recall reading she had racked up huge debts after her first B/R and had to file again, not long before she started this obvious money grab reality show.

The bitch should be in fucking jail. She's nothing but a con artist.

by Anonymousreply 4210/31/2012

[quote]She's nothing but a con artist

Yeah that's why she won her lawsuit against Laface records who then sign her up with another record deal. Because she's a con artist.

by Anonymousreply 4310/31/2012

R15, you're pointing me to the show Cribs? on Youtube? And that's supposed to educate me on black people? As for role models, I'm more ashamed and disgusted by white women who thought Sex and the City had anything positive to emulate. Housewives--is that franchise anything to be proud of? Some of them don't even work for a living; they married into their lifestyles of tacky consumption.

Look, I have my own stereotypes, which I usually keep lodged in my head. I divide people in this country into Americans and immigrants. I mean it as a mindset, not literally. Americans I know have no savings, don't forgo any pleasure, eat and buy and take and want and need and whine and talk too much about needing role models even though they're well into adulthood; immigrants save and aspire and wait and accept and plan and look to family and community in general for guidance. I know it's a stretch--that's why I usually keep this pat distinction in my head--but I mention it here just to give a different perspective. My dumb, black and white judgment is not more insulting than the idea that "black people this, white people that." Enough of that bullshit. Most black people I know earn more than I do (I'm in academia, help us all) and save the shit out of their money. And they aren't the ones watching Cribs; you are.

by Anonymousreply 4411/01/2012

Gucci Flatware. Ummmmm...

by Anonymousreply 4511/01/2012

Overspending isn't a racial issue, it's a common career plan. All sorts of entertainers belive they need to maintain an expensive lifestyle to keep their career going - that they can only BE successful if they LOOK successful. So LA is crawling with penniless wannabes in high-end designer clothes, and has-beens spending their last dollars on the Beverly Hills mortgage, believing it's the way to a comeback.

Race doesn't come into it, except perhaps in matters of taste. Spending money you don't have on flashy stuff is a showbiz constant.

by Anonymousreply 4611/01/2012

Oprah and her $5000 flat screen TV?

The nerve of that bitch!

by Anonymousreply 4711/01/2012

R11 and R15 are right. See: MC Hammer. 7 MM and blew threw it all. Back when 7MM was a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 4811/01/2012

LOTS of misinformation on this thread:

HERE WE GO:

She had to file the second time because she had a heart attack on stage during her Vegas run and had to cancel shows and other gigs to get treated. The promoters of the Vegas show sued her for not fufilling her contract, leading to going broke.

She admitted the first time was partly her fault, but she was also royally screwed by LaFace records. She only made about five thousand dollars off the sales of her first album and it sold over ten million worldwide!

She's also supporting a good number of her family members (They all started out as a group). So her real fault seems to be her generosity towards others.

by Anonymousreply 4911/01/2012

Wasn't Oprah always giving away expensive shit to her audience members? I remember thinking it was extreme and being grossed out by the way all the audience fraus would cry hysterically when the gifts were revealed. If anyone is guilty of overspending and promoting materialism it's Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 5011/01/2012

I actually have liked many of Toni's "non-hit" songs such as "Please" and "Hit the Freeway" and "Not Man Enough for Me," but I do not appreciate JanBot taking on ToniBot duties. Janet and Toni do NOT like each other so I don't know why you're so invested in protecting both of their careers. They've already hired people to do that for them. They don't need your help, sweetie.

Love and light.

by Anonymousreply 5111/01/2012

We do not understand. We will assimilate all non-Toni fans. We are Tonibot.

by Anonymousreply 5211/01/2012

Thinking about this - while it was a bit rude or forward what Oprah was saying to Toni was, look, I'm the richest woman in America, possibly the world and even I don't have Gucci flatware. And, imho, with the pic it's atrociously FUGLY but then again, Braxton and her family have all had really fugly nosejobs.

by Anonymousreply 5311/01/2012

Never heard that Toni and Janet didn't like each other. Share more r51, please?

by Anonymousreply 5411/01/2012

Remember when Oprah had a microbiologist on about bed bugs and Oprah said to her audience that her bed sheets are changed every other day...which left the audience gasping. The microbiologist then said something like "Well, good for you, but most people don't have the time."

by Anonymousreply 5511/01/2012

Halle Berry told Wendy Williams today that when she has long hair, she gets mistaken for Janet, and when she has short hair, she gets mistaken for Toni (@ the 9:28 mark in this video...)

by Anonymousreply 5611/01/2012

What Oprah has or does not have is beside the point. Also beside the point is how often Oprah changes her bedsheets and how much sponsors donate that she gives away on her show.

The point is that Toni Braxton was spending money she did not have. She could have had a good life if she had put the brakes on her profligate spending and told all of those parasites to go support themselves.

The sad thing is that she is blaming Oprah for telling her the truth instead of looking at the mess she made of her life. The fact that she is not taking responsibility says to me if she got her hands on a boatload of money she would do the same thing again.

by Anonymousreply 5711/01/2012

r54, it's just the same old diva story about them both "fighting" over a song that they both wanted to record. I don't even remember who ended up recording it, I just remember it not even being a "hit." It was just ultimately album filler. It's the exact same story as the JLo/Mariah beef. Most women in the recording industry hate each other and just need silly excuses to start feuding. Yes, it's sexist but it's true (sadly).

by Anonymousreply 5811/01/2012

r42 = Anita Baker. Bitch, you are broke too!

r51, I never heard about a Janet Toni feud either. Especially since Toni has been trying her hardest to look like Janet (the nose jobs look better on Janet, Toni)I think youve been watching too much Got2BReal.

by Anonymousreply 5911/01/2012

I remember when O went on her stupid roadtrip with Gayle, she said she hadn't pumped gas since the 1980's and had no idea how much gas costs.

by Anonymousreply 6011/01/2012

r55,

Oprah said that she has her sheets changed EVERY day!

The microbiologists then said that most of us cannot have that done, but once a week is good enough.

by Anonymousreply 6111/01/2012

R51, what will it take for you to get it through your head that the Toni fan is not me (the Janet fan) and vice versa?

And, I've never heard that the two women don't get along? Where did you pick up such a fallacy?

by Anonymousreply 6211/01/2012

[quote]I remember when O went on her stupid roadtrip with Gayle, she said she hadn't pumped gas since the 1980's

She probably hasn't wiped her own ass since the 80s either!

by Anonymousreply 6311/01/2012

R59, what does Oprah changing her sheets every day have to do with Toni Braxton not being able to manage her money?

Clean sheets every day would be so nice. That's a luxury I could get used to.

Oprah has the staff to get that done for her. She has earned it, let her enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 6411/01/2012

Oprah could've been nicer, but Toni is in denial.

by Anonymousreply 6511/01/2012

R64 when Oprah said she likes to change her sheet every day or every other day, she looked at the audience for approval, as if she wasn't the only one doing this. The audience actually gasped when she said this. It's something only a rich person can afford. Yes, it's a luxury but for her to look for approval in the audience showed how out of touch Oprah was and is up to this day. When she realized her faux pas she tried to explain herself which made her look even more foolish.

by Anonymousreply 6611/01/2012

I'm watching Toni's Behind the Music episode as I type, and the Oprah segment just went off. Toni basically said that after that appearance on "Oprah", people started to look down on her, and that it changed her career.

by Anonymousreply 6711/01/2012

I didn't even know about the Oprah thing. I thought she just stoped singing but made a try at a come back with "He isn't man enough".

by Anonymousreply 6811/01/2012

R51, He Wasn't Man Enough was a big hit for Toni.

by Anonymousreply 6911/01/2012

r11 that's true for any poor people I think.

by Anonymousreply 7011/01/2012

I loved Toni's first album. The second one had a couple of good songs but she seemed more desperate to sell a sex kitten image by then and it has been downhill ever since.

by Anonymousreply 7111/02/2012

[quote] I loved Toni's first album. The second one had a couple of good songs but she seemed more desperate to sell a sex kitten image by then and it has been downhill ever since.

Same can be said about Mariah Carey.

by Anonymousreply 7211/02/2012

I don't think Mariah tries to act like a sex kitten...I think she's just overly-femanine and dainty. All of the Braxton's, however, try WAY too hard.

by Anonymousreply 7311/02/2012

Toni needs to wake up.

by Anonymousreply 7411/02/2012

I think she's stupid. Anyone who makes good money but can't manage it? Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7511/02/2012

Mariah is "overly feminine and dainty"? She acts and dresses like a prostitute. That's hardly dainty.

by Anonymousreply 7611/02/2012

[quote] immigrants save and aspire and wait and accept and plan and look to family and community in general for guidance.

I sure wish they'd learn to speak English!!

by Anonymousreply 7711/02/2012

Tamar and Vince were on the Wendy Williams show and Wendy made a point to ask Tamar about the whole "I'm Oprah and I don't have Gucci flatware" moment from the Behind the Music show. It's around the 7 minute point.

by Anonymousreply 7811/02/2012

oops it's around the 4:50 point...

by Anonymousreply 7911/02/2012

My uber-entitlement simply trumps your diva-entitlement, bitch. Like I was saying to that photo of Gayle I talk to every morning at 2 pm, "Miss Braxton thinks she can talk mean about me? When I have personally destroyed the lives of hundreds of loyal employees by fucking up my network and career in order to maintain the prudence of my fat bottom line?

Who does she think she is?

by Anonymousreply 8011/02/2012

Listen, I've never watched these peoples' vapid reality show, but ever time I've seen any of them promoting it on the talk show circuit they've all come across as attention-starved black holes. You can tell they really think they're the fuckin' cats meow. Me, me, me, me, me! Look at me!

by Anonymousreply 8111/02/2012

Left Eye explains how TLC, just like Toni, went bankrupt with Laface records

by Anonymousreply 8211/04/2012

Left Eye was the best. It sucks that she died so young.

by Anonymousreply 8311/04/2012

I agree with R83--any woman who would burn down her boyfriend's mansion to get back at him for cheating gets my vote for fabulous.

And Oprah wipes her ass with a johnny mop because that's the only way she can reach it.

by Anonymousreply 8411/04/2012

R82,

A scrub is a band that can't pay its bills...

by Anonymousreply 8511/04/2012

The only reason she doesn't have gucci flatware is because she doesn't want it or didn't know they exist, not because she can't afford it.

by Anonymousreply 8611/04/2012

Gucci is for moderately wealthy people. The upper echelon, like Oprah, go for Hermes and Fendi.

by Anonymousreply 8711/04/2012

What does Beyonce think about this travesty?

by Anonymousreply 8811/04/2012

ok laugh at me but there's a thread here about Oprah's favorite things for this year. So I clicked on it and found out about Tempurpedic Cloud mattress. I was walking by one of those Sleeptrain type stores (only this one is locally owned) and tried it. It was pretty awesome. I'm not a fan of Oprah, but I was open to her choices. Oprah said she had one in her bedroom and in all the guest rooms of her home. Ok, so sue me, I loved the mattress, just not sure I want it yet.

by Anonymousreply 8911/04/2012

For three grand you better love the fucking thing.

by Anonymousreply 9011/04/2012

It was on sale for about $1700 at my local store. I think they're clearing them to make way for the new beds.

by Anonymousreply 9111/04/2012

[quote]Lady O took Braxton to task for her irresponsible spending habits, which ultimately led to her bankruptcy filing years later.

Oprah is too powerful if her mere scolding can cause bankruptcies.

by Anonymousreply 9211/04/2012

I miss that crazy bitch and her antics.

by Anonymousreply 9311/04/2012

I admire Toni for openly critiquing Oprah like that. It takes guts.

by Anonymousreply 9411/04/2012

I watched Toni's Behind the Music special. Her contract with LaFace was such that after selling 10 million, maybe it was 20 million, albums her royalty check was only $2000. Babyface said that if they could have they would have given her more money but their hands were tied. Remember, Laface was a boutique label under Arista.

by Anonymousreply 9511/04/2012

Toni Braxton is a lying spendthrift.

And what idiot incurs business debts personally?

by Anonymousreply 9611/04/2012

Toni is in denial. How could Oprah ruin her career?

by Anonymousreply 9711/04/2012

R97, I guess you didn't read any of the previous 95 posts

by Anonymousreply 9811/04/2012

[quote]Gucci is for moderately wealthy people. The upper echelon, like Oprah, go for Hermes and Fendi.

Anyone who would buy flatware from a company known for leather goods is an idiot. You buy luggage, shoes, leather accessories from Gucci - something they've been known for for close to 100 years. Even their clothing is somewhat uninspired since Mr. Ford left. You don't buy flatware.

by Anonymousreply 9911/04/2012

I think almost every artist who had to deal w/L.A. and 'Face ran into some sort of money problems.

Toni was so pretty before she got all that vile PS and started wearing weaves.

by Anonymousreply 10011/04/2012

R59 on Got 2B Real, Toni has the feud with Mary J Blige and LOVES to tell Mary how she is constantly off key.

by Anonymousreply 10111/04/2012

Oprah broke?

Well, well, does SHE take personal responsibilities for her troubles?

by Anonymousreply 10211/26/2012

Toni braxton is HUMAN and as human beings we make mistakes. She is a beautiful, intelligent, attractive and extremely talented woman. It's easy to sit back and judge some one from where you are. But how many of you negative posting loses ever made it when she is.......#food for thought

by Anonymousreply 10302/23/2015

But how many of you negative posting loses ever made it when she is.......#

SAY WHAT? Sorry I don't understand ebonics.

by Anonymousreply 10402/23/2015
Need more help? Click Here.