Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Derek Jacobi to play an elderly gay couple in 'Vicious Old Queens'

The six episode sitcom series will be written by Gary Janetti, a former executive producer and writer of Family Guy and Will & Grace.

So far it is being shopped around with both actors names attached.

It would be a major coup because both these men rarely do television.

Wonder which network will pick it up.

by Anonymousreply 8501/22/2014

Ask for Sir Ian, accept Leslie Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 110/29/2012

Yeah. I've been dying to see more stereotypical depictions of gay people in the media.

Why don't they just remake "Staircase"? Or better yet... why not stay home and not make a movie.

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2012

R1 you would drop Sir Derek Jacobi for Leslie Jordan?

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2012

"Vicious Old Queens"? Charming title. But, then again look at this guy's pedigree.

by Anonymousreply 510/29/2012

Ew, Gary Janetti is Brad Goreski's ridiculously stereotypical partner. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 610/29/2012

[quote] Gary Janetti is Brad Goreski's ridiculously stereotypical partner.

How did he manage to sign both Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Derek Jacobi? That is quite a coup to have them attached to this project.

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2012

This is a bad joke. They would NEVER do a series like this.

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2012

So, it's a documentary then?

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2012

R8 this link for you!

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2012

Only six episodes?

That sounds like a British series, not an American one. British sitcoms run a short series - like AbFab.

Which means it will turn up on BBC America, eventually.

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2012

Great article on this season's gay stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2012

Saw Staircase a few years ago on TCM. What a strange movie. Who was it made for? At least Boys in the Band had something it wanted to say about how gay mean treat each other and themselves. Staircase just seemed mean.

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2012

Sorry, but I think this sounds AWESOME. Sir Ian and Sir Derek - SCORE!

Can we get Tab Hunter and Richard Chamberlain cast in this, too?

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2012

I hope they really play up the old queens stereotype, it's so much fun and it's great to see straights laughing at us rather then killing us. The mincing old faggot is such a celebrated gay icon! Is one of the guys going to play a drag queen? I know it's been done before, but that could be really cool.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2012

Joan Collins has expressed interest in the role of the neighborhood fag-hag

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2012

At last! Datalounge - the Sitcom!!

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2012

It would be wonderful to see such major talents as Jacobi and McKellan together - I don't know if they've ever worked together before. I recall McKellen saying in an interview that back in the 60's, when he was at the Royal Shakespeare Company, he had a major crush on Jacobi, who was on the rise at the National Theater.

It's a pity these two can't get a better-sounding project than this.

Will John Hurt want to show up doing a variation on Quentin Crisp?

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2012

[quote] It's a pity these two can't get a better-sounding project than this.

What's wrong with this project?

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2012

GREAT NEWS! The show has an American sponsor. The Family Research Council has announced they are funding the entire season.

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2012

In the "OMG! How gay is THAT!" dept ...

When "I, Claudius" was run on Masterpiece Theatre on Sunday nights, a group of us used to rehash the episode the next morning on the school bus. A former bf told us that was one of the queerest things he'd ever run across.

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2012

It sounds like the last two seasons of The Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2012

Sir Ian plays an antique dealer and Sir Derek plays a hairdresser. It's a black comedy with both of them being brutally killed in three way SM orgy with a straight married guy that goes wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2012

I love Derek Jacobi!

[quote]When "I, Claudius" was run on Masterpiece Theatre on Sunday nights, a group of us used to rehash the episode the next morning on the school bus. A former bf told us that was one of the queerest things he'd ever run across.

I, Claudius or the rehashing on the school bus?

by Anonymousreply 2510/29/2012

I can see it now. Leslie Jordan as the mawkishly chipper neighbor next door. Dan Futterman as the straight son. Stephen Collins as the obnoxious brother. Jennifer Lewis as the housekeeper whom the agency sends after the cute Asian houseboy dies in a freak accident involving tiny fish over feasting on his callouses in the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 2610/29/2012

I've always had a crush on Derek ... even as slobbering Claudius. Amazing Claudius lived lone enough for his wife to poison him

by Anonymousreply 2710/29/2012

Alec Mapa as the best friend who is only into "sticky rice".

by Anonymousreply 2810/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 2910/29/2012

[R25] -- he thought a group of teens rehashing Masterpiece Theatre on the school bus was INCREDIBLY gay.

by Anonymousreply 3010/29/2012

Gary knows something about being a vicious old queen. This project is beneath both actors...I guess they both got a crack at Brad's ass as an incentive to say "Yes!"

by Anonymousreply 3110/29/2012

Both of those queens are old and vicious - and this is probably just a great paycheck for them in their old age.

Even Olivier did dreck like CLASH OF THE TITANS in his old age since he made so little money as a stage actor in Britain for so many years.

They don't care about quality - they just want to make enough to spend their dotage in some sunny climate like California or the Caribbean, instead of damp, cold England. Not good for old bones.

by Anonymousreply 3210/29/2012

Gary is.....

by Anonymousreply 3310/29/2012

I was excited until I saw Gary J. attached to it.

by Anonymousreply 3410/29/2012

This show is datalounge come to life

by Anonymousreply 3510/29/2012

So does this mean Sir Derek has formally come out?

by Anonymousreply 3610/29/2012

R26 you forgot about the elderly female faghag down the street.

Joan Collins has already expressed interest in the part.

by Anonymousreply 3710/30/2012

Gary is single-handedly setting us back thirty years. He really needs to go away.

by Anonymousreply 3810/30/2012

Just go to a piano bar and people watch.

by Anonymousreply 3910/30/2012

Oh YAY! More stereotyping me and people like me!

Will the karposi's sarcoma sores get their own screen credits? How about the scarves and flowery silk shirts?

by Anonymousreply 4010/30/2012

What is wrong with you bitches? First you guys complain there is not enough LGBT programming on TV.

And when there is you complain about that too!

by Anonymousreply 4110/30/2012

Oh man, Tony Perkins is credited as one of the script writers.

by Anonymousreply 4210/30/2012

R41, wow, talk about false equivalence. I wouldn't want a "Cruising" series either. Or a "Boys in the Band" one. Basically all the new shows are more chjeerful versions of Boys in the Band, with gay men as superficial caricatures. Note that I am not criticizing the characters for being "femme." I'm perfectly happy with femme. I think that RuPaul, in a show about drag queens competing, does more to humanize gay men than these shows do. I actually like Will and Grace for what it was, but it's time to move forward from that show, not go backwards.

by Anonymousreply 4310/30/2012

R41 = Straight or lesbian female. Loves those "black faced neegro routines" and those "funny sashaying queers" she sees on her reality TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 4410/30/2012

[quote]This show is datalounge come to life

Only if, when it airs in the U.S., it's re-titled "Eldergays."

[quote]Which means it will turn up on BBC America, eventually.

Not fucking likely - unless it's restyled as "Gordon Ramsey's Vicious Old Top Gear."

by Anonymousreply 4510/30/2012

I have never seen Ian McKellen and Leslie Gordon together. Are we sure that they are different people?

by Anonymousreply 4610/30/2012

It is being shopped around at various US networks for a co-production with ITV.

by Anonymousreply 4710/30/2012

I'd like to actually see it before I passed judgment on it. Too often I've been disgusted by what sounds like a totally tasteless or stupid concept that turns out to be pretty good in execution, "Assassins" being my favorite case in point.

by Anonymousreply 4810/30/2012

He probably stumbled across this site and voila, inspiration!

by Anonymousreply 4910/30/2012

A huge leap forward for equality. Having these two famous old gay men play a pair of bitchy, sex-obsessed, argumentative fags will soften public attitudes towards us. There will be so many opportunities for jokes and this will make straight people less afraid of us.

by Anonymousreply 5010/30/2012

Ugh. I hate TV.

by Anonymousreply 5110/30/2012

Stereotypes are there for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 5210/30/2012

They should get Simon Callow in there as well, maybe as a jealous neighbour - and get guys like Rupert Graves to come in and get some clothes off ...

Michael York could be another elderly gay neighbour remembering his past glories ....

by Anonymousreply 5310/30/2012

Lighten up, bitches, we haven't seen it yet.

McKellen and Jacobi are both capable of making this thing watchable and fun. I hope it works out.

by Anonymousreply 5410/30/2012

ITV and the title don't bode well, but the leads trump all that. Can't think that Sir Ian would attach to anything with a 'Staircase' vibe. So, nice premise, and promising.

by Anonymousreply 5510/30/2012

Totally agree - I am getting so tired about hearing about this equality stuff;let's have some fun.

by Anonymousreply 5610/30/2012

It's about time somebody told the truth about us, we're here and we're queer, get over it ladies!

by Anonymousreply 5710/30/2012

R57, the "truth" about "us"? No.

by Anonymousreply 5810/30/2012

The title has been shortened to "Vicious" and their best friend has been cast...

by Anonymousreply 5911/05/2012

Frances De La Tour will be playing the neighborhood fag hag.

I thought Joan Collins had the inside shot at that role. She expressed interest in the role first.

by Anonymousreply 6011/05/2012

But did anyone express interest in Joan Collins? I kind of doubt it, unless they're really into ham. She's a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 6111/05/2012

They're also making "Lazy old n)))))s" and "Stingy old K)))s". Because that's okay,too.

by Anonymousreply 6211/05/2012

R61 She is starting a recurring role on Fran Drescher's new sitcom "Happily Married" playing an aging Fag Hag, giving Fran's character pointers on how to be a Fag Hag.

Joan's thinking is that she played the part so well, why not two in a row on this new series.

by Anonymousreply 6311/05/2012

[quote]She is starting a recurring role on Fran Drescher's new sitcom "Happily Married"

So Fran is starting another show besides "Happily Divorced"?

by Anonymousreply 6411/05/2012

R64 got the title wrong. U are right

by Anonymousreply 6511/05/2012

Besides what does Frances De La Tour have that Joan Collins doesn't have?

by Anonymousreply 6611/05/2012

R66: talent.

by Anonymousreply 6711/05/2012

r66 the hint of a penis?

by Anonymousreply 6811/05/2012

by Anonymousreply 6911/05/2012

by Anonymousreply 7011/06/2012

The British crew has been at Liberace Museum in Las Vegas for the last week doing set research. They will be using a few of the pieces from the collection which will be on loan during the first season. I hope they use that incredible mirrored piano!

by Anonymousreply 7111/06/2012

Joan was ROBBED of that role of the neighborhood Fag Hag. Perfect casting tossed out the window!

by Anonymousreply 7211/06/2012

So now will Ian have to be replaced?

by Anonymousreply 7312/11/2012

With the show down by over 2 million viewers for its second episode controversial art critic Brian Sewell says ITV’s new sitcom Vicious reminds him of a less progressive period for gay people.

Last month’s launch episode opened to 5.53 million viewers, but Monday’s second instalment recorded 3.52 million viewers – a fall of 2.01 million – however it was still the most watched show outside of the soaps for the evening.

Created by Will and Grace writer Gary Janetti and award-winning playwright Mark Ravenhill, Vicious sees Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Derek Jacobi play Freddie and Stuart, a bickering gay couple who have been together for 50 years.

Brian Sewell, who in 2011 complained of there being too many LGBT characters in British soaps, has taken the show to task in the London Evening Standard.

He wrote: “Vicious, ITV’s current attempt to make a comedy of camp old queens who have lived together for too long, is well-named. Vicious is precisely what it is — a spiteful parody that could not have been nastier had it been devised and written by a malevolent and recriminatory heterosexual.”

The 81-year-old critic continued: “The trouble for the scriptwriters was, of course, that ageing homosexuals who were never aspiring actors but tinkers, tailors, soldiers, sailors and even art critics do not behave like pantomime dames at an audition, are not an endless source of venomous barbs, are not constantly falling into limp-wristed attitudes and are not all too ready to huff and puff in pretended hurt.

“Ordinary old homosexuals, if they ever step into such caricature, do so as the self-mocking joke with which minorities defend themselves, and the duration is not half an hour but the time it takes to say ‘Get her,’ or some such nonsense.”

Sewell believes the show reminds him of a less progressive period for gay people and that the humour displayed by the characters disguises the pain of not being able to fully embrace being gay.

“Vicious is no more than a compilation of stale travesties reaching back half a century to the oppressive years when homosexuality was so much against the law that a man could not even ask the question of another man. In public it could only be lampooned — but the lampoon was something of a safety-valve, the in-joke of self-mockery with which all minorities camouflage their secret misery.”

Sewell adds: “Vicious, in reviving all the old exaggerated jokes, the posturing, the determination to be heard, may well revive the pernicious prejudices against the faggot and the poof so long familiar to men of my generation. Remember the three teenagers who kicked a man to death in Trafalgar Square.”

by Anonymousreply 7405/07/2013

is it still on tv?

by Anonymousreply 7509/19/2013

I'm in the US so I was only able to find the first episode on Youtube. I thought it was fine. Not great, but enjoyable enough. I'd rather watch a silly sitcom than listen to tedious people whine about tv characters not being perfect, politically correct role models.

by Anonymousreply 7609/19/2013

R76 you have to admit Joan Collins would have been better in the show than Frances what's-her-name.

by Anonymousreply 7709/19/2013

I watched all of the episodes, they were horrible - homophobic in the extreme - Scott Lively must have been a co-producer. This series will do very well in Uganda and Russia.

by Anonymousreply 7809/19/2013

R78 You have to admit Joan Collins would have been better on the show than Frances whats-her-name?

by Anonymousreply 7909/19/2013

Joan would never do a role like that (she still has some class) but she would have better.

by Anonymousreply 8009/19/2013

PBS has just picked up the series

by Anonymousreply 8101/22/2014

There will be six episodes, seven if you include the Christmas show.

by Anonymousreply 8201/22/2014

The show is unbelievably horrible and homophobic. The Christmas show was dreadful. It's a complete disaster.

by Anonymousreply 8301/22/2014

Shut the fuck up r83. Nobody gives a shit what you think.

by Anonymousreply 8401/22/2014

Frances De La Tour is the best thing in it! Collins, a stagey old ham however much one loves her, wouldn't have been half as good.

A second series is in production. It's a fun concept, but the writing is so second rate it makes George & Mildred seem like Masterpiece Theatre. The Christmas Special was especially appalling. They desperately need some half decent writers.

by Anonymousreply 8501/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!