Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Things that aren't fattening at Thanksgiving

I need to bring something that won't get my family fat. Suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 5811/07/2012

Air. Water. Smoke.

by Anonymousreply 110/29/2012

Cookies laced with laxatives.

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2012

BITCH, it's THANKSGIVING, first of all! It's about a little indulgence. Besides, it's one FUCKING DAY!!! Please tell me what the fuck you can do in ONE DAY, what ONE MEAL you can make that will keep them from 'getting fat'? Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2012

This is an absolutely delicious salad that I made for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year. I used walnuts instead of hazelnuts, halved the oil (1/4 c), and added some blue cheese.

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2012

The Italian Fennel and Orange salad along with grilled vegetables. They are fare more appealing than the nasty green bean casserole and fill folks with fiber.

by Anonymousreply 510/29/2012

r3 flies off the handle a bit, but gets it right.

I assume you're asking because your family has unhealthy eating habits?

You could bring a queeny salad with dried cranberries and hazlenut oil a la r4, but they're not going to eat it and suddenly realize the error of their ways. Or they'll eat it right alongside the buttery mashed potatoes, yeast rolls, fried turkey, pecan pie, etc etc etc.

Just chill the fuck out. You can't change other people. And certainly not with one dish, and certainly not on Thanksgiving.

If you want to bring something healthy: bring a salad, roast some vegetables, whatever. Knock yourself out. But you're not going to suddenly change other people's eating habits with it.

by Anonymousreply 610/29/2012

Fresh fruit with a yogurt dip.

by Anonymousreply 710/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 810/29/2012

Consider a mash of water chestnuts as opposed to potatoes, and remove the skin from a turkey breast instead of roasting a whole bird. sweeten your cranberries with a non-caloric substitute. Use rice cakes for stuffing. Thicken your drippings with arrow root or corn starch as opposed to flour, don't use fat or butter, a slurry is just as tasty. Forgo wine for raspberry soda water.

by Anonymousreply 910/29/2012

Not everyone here lives near Frankenstorm's path, R8.

by Anonymousreply 1010/29/2012

Turkey with cranberry sauce is not fattening. Nor is ANYTHING if eaten in moderation.

by Anonymousreply 1110/29/2012 one should ever eat at R9's house.

by Anonymousreply 1210/29/2012

OP is the relative that family members roll their eyes over when they hear he's coming. "What kind of healthy crap is he going to bring to this year's Thanksgiving?" And then throughout dinner he talks about himself the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 1310/29/2012

Offer guests Lemon soda using Citrate of Magnesia. It'll soon clean out all calories.

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2012

Exactly so, R13.

by Anonymousreply 1510/29/2012

r11 speaks the truth

by Anonymousreply 1610/29/2012

I don't regulate my family's nutritional intake; I just find it necessary to bring something green to staunch the flood of starches at my sister's Thanksgivings. Sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, peas and rolls are mainstays. Ugh.

And my recipe may seem twee, but it's easy and delicious!

by Anonymousreply 1710/29/2012

you mean STANCH r17. Not STAUNCH.

by Anonymousreply 1810/29/2012

Use rutabaga and cauliflower instead of potatoes. Lower in carbs and can be mashed, roasted and grilled.

by Anonymousreply 1910/29/2012

Thanksgiving is the perfect time to teach family proper eating habits. They will be very open to it.

And Christmas is the perfect season to teach them to give up wasteful spending habits.

by Anonymousreply 2010/29/2012

I LOVE mashed rutabegas with lots of butter!

by Anonymousreply 2110/29/2012

If you want something green, roast some brussels sprouts. Melt some butter (not a lot) in a cast iron skillet in the oven. Cut sprouts in half, spread in skillet, season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender.

You can also make mashed potatoes using a little butter and milk. No need for overly fatty potatoes.

Thanksgiving should be about good food.

by Anonymousreply 2210/29/2012

Why does anyone care what other people eat?

Seriously! I never get this.

It's a constant theme on here. Are all the people worried about other's diets, manorexic people who obsess about food 24/7? It seems like it.

Wratch it back a couple of notches. Splurge on a Tic Tac, a cup of tea and a smoke. You're beyond bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 2310/29/2012

Thanks for the correction, R18. That's a word I've misused all my life.

by Anonymousreply 2410/29/2012

Portion control, nanny.

On the one day when you need to eat your feelings, surrounded by US family slash corporation..

(can't understand unless you've seen a modern tribal-moderative policies instituted, and that means living outside US--have you?)

... with all the anger and competition swilling and swelling about the gravy boats, yams and bird carcasses, it's important to keep control by slimming everybody with your secret low-cal implementation of a health metaphor.

Better to wear a Sigmund Freud mask, give everybody a cigar and dip of coke, and talk turkey. But that sure won't happen, not stateside.

by Anonymousreply 2510/29/2012

Pumpkin Tic-Tacs

by Anonymousreply 2610/29/2012

I don't like anything that is considered typical Thanksgiving food, and I still think OP is ridiculous. This is the one holiday where the only thing to do is EAT.

by Anonymousreply 2710/29/2012

Bring everyone a pack of Kool menthol cigs.

by Anonymousreply 2810/29/2012

The OP just wants to bring some healthy fresh sidedish to balance out all the heavy carb filled ones that will be there. There is nothing wrong with that.

Sure I'll have my stuffing with gravy, but I do think having some a nice salad along with that is great. Balanced meal.

by Anonymousreply 2910/29/2012

I hate eating with Auschwitz queens.

by Anonymousreply 3010/29/2012

A festive sugar-free Jello mold, of course!

by Anonymousreply 3110/29/2012

I cook a pretty traditional dinner, and it's actually pretty healthy as long as you don't use tons of butter. The only really rich high calorie/low nutrient foods are stuffing and gravy. Cranberry sauce is sugary but i add orange zest and use less sugar. Rest of the menu is roasted turkey/vegetables. You can get some great roasted vegetables, e.g. fennel, or celeriac.

by Anonymousreply 3210/29/2012

How about a cool and delicious salad, OP?

One I like at Thanksgiving is sliced avocados tossed with grapefruit sections, thinly sliced red onion, with poppy seed dressing on the side.

Serve on a lettuce leaf. Top with a sprig of mint.

My guests have always seemed to go for it, but I live in FL where we can get fresh, fresh, fresh this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 3310/29/2012

I love Thanksgiving and the delicious foods but it's pretty essential to also have a nice fresh salad to break up the carb parade. My mother always makes a big spinach salad with walnuts and cranberries and it's a big hit with our family.

by Anonymousreply 3410/29/2012

Sweet potatoes with cinnamon.

by Anonymousreply 3510/29/2012

I wish I had gotten ahold of my mother's mashed potato recipe before we parted ways. I know she boiled them in canned low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth. She didn't use a lot of broth and she didn't really drain much out before she mashed them. She put in a dollop of low-fat sour cream and a bit of butter. Also, she often added roasted garlic.

by Anonymousreply 3610/29/2012

" Wratch it back a couple of notches. "

Do you wrench out your clothes too?

by Anonymousreply 3710/29/2012

Seasoned green beans, tossed in some olive oil if you desire. Fresh berries instead of cranberry sauce...white meat.

If you want to eat less, try having a hearty homemade soup for an appetizer. There are some really healthy, satisfying recipes out there.

by Anonymousreply 3810/29/2012

Your salad sounds good R4!

by Anonymousreply 3910/29/2012

Dust. Anybody? No? High in fat, low in fat? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. It's actually very low in fat. You can have as much dust as you like.

by Anonymousreply 4010/29/2012

I make "stuffing" out of oat bran, chicken broth, egg white, and a seasoning blend that's more filling and tastes exactly like stuffing made from bread. The problem, however, is that it doesn't look exactly like stuffing made from bread, so people in a group dinner are likely to annoyingly ask what you're eating.

by Anonymousreply 4110/29/2012

OP, do you really think your one dish is going to offset the other fattening foods your family is going to devour? I would focus my efforts on making a tasty yet healthy dish, but fattening shouldn't be a concern. One thing I've learned by serving as the food police is that people will do whatever the hell they want (and actively seek to defy you because you're shaming them).

by Anonymousreply 4210/29/2012

In my family it's always a struggle to get some actual GREENS on the table.

We always bring a quinoa and broccoli salad. Flavored with a light drizzle of sesame oil, nuts, carrots and parmesan.

My redneck cousins are always a bit mystified at the site of quinoa but once I explain, "it's like rice" they give it a shot and actually enjoy it quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 4310/29/2012

Thanks, R39, although it's not mine. I hope you try it. I tried bringing various "healthy" dishes to holiday meals over the years--brussels sprouts, haricots verts, roasted broccoli & cauliflower--but this is the only one people really enjoy & take portions home.

by Anonymousreply 4410/29/2012

R17 & R24: Just looked it up in my Webster's Dictionary. "Staunch" is the traditional spelling; "stanch" is an acceptable variation.

by Anonymousreply 4510/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 4610/29/2012

passes to a ski slope.

by Anonymousreply 4710/29/2012

LOL, R12.

by Anonymousreply 4810/29/2012

I always get told to bring a salad, which only a few people ever eat. I feel guilty bringing another fatty dish when my grandmother looks at the few fat people in my family with such disdain! Well, maybe I am a bitch. What would be more impressive?

by Anonymousreply 4910/30/2012

Make bread and load it with flax. It will shove the fatty food out more quickly.

by Anonymousreply 5010/30/2012

Bumping this for ideas. I'm the one that needs to staunch/stanch my sister's love affair with starch. We already have a spinach salad and raw vegetables with various dips for appetizers. But I'd love suggestions for another side dish. Broccoli, brussels sprouts and string beans have been ignored in the past and I'd love something different to serve. By the way, I live near a huge Asian market.

by Anonymousreply 5111/07/2012

Here's a link to some recipes for vegan Thanksgiving dishes (from the Forks Over Knives website)

by Anonymousreply 5211/07/2012

and here's a recipe for carrot pie (tastes virtually identical to pumpkin pie, only perhaps a little better --and it is healthier for you). the website layout looks straight out of 1998 but the recipe is good. alternately, if you search for "carrot souffle" recipes you'll find basically the same dessert minus the pie crust. tastes just like Thanksgiving pumpkin pie should, less a few hundred calories and canned glop.

by Anonymousreply 5311/07/2012

mash your potatoes with warm broth instead of cream

roast broccoli w/garlic then toss with lemon juice, olive oil & parmesean

sauteed spinach

roasted green beans

by Anonymousreply 5411/07/2012

R53, pumpkin is no slouch.

I either buy organic canned pumpkin or make my own pumpkin purée from organic pumpkins. Most of the usual pumpkin pie ingredients can be tweaked to be healthier without losing flavor.

Roasted brussels sprouts are amazingly good. I could happily make a meal of them.

Be careful when inflicting your own value systems on others because it's easy to become the self-righteous relative nobody is happy to see. You're unlikely to convert any of your relatives with one meal a year.

by Anonymousreply 5511/07/2012

Baked apples.

by Anonymousreply 5611/07/2012

White turkey meat without skin. I'm sure that's been said, and I guess it depends on how your family prepares the bird.

I'm going to my parents' house this year and my Mom usually makes all sorts of starchy, fattening sides (and she will this year as well). I asked her this week if she'd include just one fresh veggie - steamed green beams, broccoli or something like that. She was happy to oblige, and she'll have fresh veggies from her garden, which will make it even better.

But, I asked because I genuinely like fresh veggies and want the option. I'll still probably have some fattening, starchy sides.

by Anonymousreply 5711/07/2012

I think a more serious problem is everyone's health/allergy issues. It's getting so everyone needs to send you a list of things they can't or won't eat because if you think you're doing the diabetics a favor by using a sugar substitute you'll hear it from people who think it's unhealthy or are allergic to it. I find trying to cater to everyone's dietary requirements frustrating. Before they try a dish they want a list of everything that's in it! It never used to be this way. Humph!

by Anonymousreply 5811/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!