Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Quartet": Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut is THE movie the eldergays have been waiting for

Maggie Smith plays a retired opera singer who moves into a care facility for music veterans. But the home is in danger of closing, and she and the other residents must put on a show to save it.

It's like something that was dreamt up over cocktails at Monster Bar.

by Anonymousreply 1810/20/2013

The "opera and rap are the same" bit was very cringe, thrown in for the yoof.

Otherwise, it looks fabulous. I wonder if there'll be a scene with Maggie S lipsyncing.

Squealed at Sheridan Smith's appearance.

by Anonymousreply 110/29/2012

Looks awful.

Plus Maggie Smith was already in a decent movie called "Quartet."

by Anonymousreply 210/29/2012

It is Maggie, I have to see it.

by Anonymousreply 310/29/2012

And in a finale song and dance routine, they all bare their saggy asses to save their saggy asses?

Or is it a calendar of their saggy tits that works magic?

by Anonymousreply 410/29/2012

Did anyone see it? Showtime's advertising it as an upcoming thing.

How is it that Dustin Hoffman has never directed a film?

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2013

The script is pretty dreadful, but the actors are so charming, they make a lot of it work.

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2013

Luke Newberry - the handyman helper - is the star of this film - otherwise, very predictable, quite beautiful, and very meh.

by Anonymousreply 702/09/2013

It's all about the actors and watching the retired musicians perform. And that's enough. (They might fall through the holes in the plot but everyone's careful.)

by Anonymousreply 803/16/2013

[quote]I wonder if there'll be a scene with Maggie S lipsyncing.

Sure is. Dame Maggs walks out on the makeshift stage dressed in a little Comme des Garçons number while performing "Material Girl."

by Anonymousreply 903/16/2013

Sounds like a Richard Curtis project

by Anonymousreply 1003/16/2013

Sounds like "Summer Stock" on Geritol.

by Anonymousreply 1103/16/2013

I liked it. It is well acted and the retirement home seems like a fun, posh hotel. It's the antidote to Amour.

by Anonymousreply 1203/16/2013

I saw it and the OP is wrong. It is not about putting on a show to save the care facility. It's just a concert. And it's about three singers who want her to sing the quartet from Rigoletto with them. It's very charming and most of the cast are real retired musicians.

by Anonymousreply 1303/16/2013

Oh wait, my husband said I was wrong. I didn't remember that aspect of it.

by Anonymousreply 1403/16/2013

I saw it. A very light piece, anchored by good performances by Maggie and the main actors. The real pleasure is in the the enduring love of their art on the faces of the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 1503/16/2013

R6 & R8 are spot on.

I normally find Billy Connolly charming but he/his character kinda ruined the film for me.

Maggie Smith and Tom Courtenay are absolutely brilliant. Tom Courtenay! Give this man a better script and he'll bag an Oscar™.

by Anonymousreply 1603/16/2013

Pauline Collins gave the best performance

by Anonymousreply 1703/16/2013

Just saw it on dvd. Charming. Slight. Only one Maggie Smith and I hope she never stops working. Don't think I've seen Tom Courtney since The Dresser. What a treasure.

Couldn't they have found a role for Rita Tushingham?

by Anonymousreply 1810/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.