Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The CW Presents "The Carrie Diaries"

I'm glad Freema Agyeman is working, but who was clamoring for this?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4307/20/2013

who is Freema Agyeman playing in this show?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 110/28/2012

The character is described as being Carrie's mentor, a party-girl magazine editor who introduces her to New York nightlife.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 210/28/2012

That preview was absolutely horrendous.

And Freema...from Dr. Who to What the Fuck?!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 310/28/2012

I thought the character was suppose to be in High School?

Though I do applaud TPTB have cast a person of color in the role.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 410/28/2012

Looks bad, but kind of fun to see a show that takes place at a time when I was a teenager.

Having said that, I was hoping for a show about Carrie White and her dirty pillows.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 510/28/2012

Carrie has a "sweet, geeky friend named Mouse"? Wait til he moves off to San Francisco and drops her for Mary Ann Singleton.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 610/28/2012

I'm looking forward to seeing how they're going to pull this off without having Carrie develop a drug habit or fuck her way to the top.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 710/28/2012

I saw the pilot at the NY TV Festival last week. There were a lot of cringe-inducing moments and some corny dialogue, but the crowd (which was mostly twentysomething girls) seemed to like it. Tonally it's nothing like Sex & the City and much more in line with the old WB shows like Dawson's Creek and Felicity. So if you're into teen dramas (particularly the slightly earnest kind) you'll probably like it. If you're not, it won't be for you no matter how big a SATC fan you were.

To me, the biggest shock was how adult the show was. There's one scene where the girls sit around discussing their first times and one comments on how quickly the guy came. I didn't expect to hear that on a network TV show and I'll be curious to see if they're able to continue with that kind of frankness. There's also a fair amount of gay content with a closeted teenager struggling with his sexuality and Carrie talking to two guys who are making out at a party. There was a panel after with the lead actress (who was actually very good and seemed very sweet) as well as one of the producers and Candace Bushnell (who's also a producer.) They said they'll explore some gay issues, in particular the difficulties of coming out in the 1980s, and that the AIDs crisis will be addressed through Carrie's experiences in Manhattan.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 810/28/2012

Of course, the big question is when they'll get SJP to do a cameo.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 910/28/2012

Where's the crack?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1010/30/2012

Young Carrie leaving a back alley clinic while drinking a New Coke:

[quote]They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go, but abortion never goes out of style.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1110/30/2012

I forgive you, Freema.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1210/30/2012

This girl's nose isn't long enough for her to play Carrie.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1310/30/2012

R9, they'll get SJP in for a cameo when they shoot a scene in Central Park.

She'll be pulling a carriage.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1410/30/2012

SJP will be appearing in a cameo when a European aristocrat invites young Carrie to the Belmont Stakes.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1510/30/2012

Anyone planning to watch tonight?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1601/14/2013

r9, they have an episode planned to explain how Carrie's nose got so disfigured. I believe it is based around a sample sale at Century 21.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1701/15/2013

I was surprised. It was quite a bit better than I was expecting. I blame Freema.

They made the right call by not having Carrie be a completely self-centered bitch. And it had a great soundtrack. I don't know if it impressed me enough that I would watch again, but I was impressed.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1801/15/2013

The twinkage makes it worth watching.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1901/15/2013

I didn't watch SATC religiously or fanatically but I did enjoy it during its run. I don't remember Carrie ever talking about her childhood though. Did she ever mention her father, sister or dead mother during the original series? Or about growing up in CT?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2001/15/2013

it was really rather sweet and well done. Great soundtrack and good period piece for 84. She is quite endearing and they did just enough nod to sex and the city to tie it together. i'm gonna watch.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2101/15/2013

Is young Carrie smoking cigarettes in this?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2201/15/2013

Austin Butler seems pecs enough, but the nipple placement could be better.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2301/15/2013

It's good to see Freema get work here in the US - I liked her in Dr. Who and Law & Order UK and think she could have a great career here. But the Carrie Diaries is awful.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2401/15/2013

WHy did they change Carrie's backstory? There was a whole episode about Carrie's dad abandoning her when she was little and she spends her whole life questioning men

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2501/15/2013

I'm still sitting shiva for Gossip Girl. Maybe the show after The Carrie Diaries.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2601/15/2013

The backstory was already changed before this show. The show is based on a series of books written by Candace Bushnell, the original SATC author. In the books she's got a dad, a sister, and a recently deceased mom, just like in the new show.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2701/15/2013

shitfest

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2801/15/2013

SATC is like Star Wars for a certain faction of women and gay men. It was stupid of them to change the backstory, even if it was how Candace Bushnell had it in the books. And, I'm sorry, but Carrie Bradshaw wouldn't have turned out the way she did, dating the kind of men she did, if she had a stable father figure in her life.

Other than that, it had it's moments.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2901/15/2013

I like AnnaSophia Robb a lot. She's the real deal. A cutie who can actually act.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3001/16/2013

The girl is fine. It's the writing, the directing, the staging that blows.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3101/16/2013

I was watching for some 80s NYC nostalgia - besides a paint splattered purse and the mention of indochine & Madonna - it was weak.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3201/16/2013

I liked it. The pilot was cute. It wasn't perfect, and there's definitely room for improvement, but I don't think it deserved the disappointing ratings. People should check it out. I only hope the network will at least wait a few episodes before canceling it. I've seen more buzz for the show the last few days, so hopefully more people will tune in this week, if not it's definitely a goner though. It's a shame because I liked it and the gay storyline was good too.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3401/17/2013

Austin Butler is adorable, the only reason I tuned in to this train wreck.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3501/17/2013

I like the pilot, but I do think the 80s vibe is a bit ... muted? Nearly creamed my pants seeing Siouxsie Sioux posters in the room of Carrie's sister.

It deffo has some nice male eye candy (including Carrie's dad).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3601/18/2013

Amen, R26. I do miss Gossip Girl.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3701/18/2013

R37, RIP Lonely Boy and Man Bangs.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3801/18/2013

What's the name of the white guy with the yellow skin on the show?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3902/11/2013

How is this show not cancelled yet?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4003/09/2013

Up.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4103/09/2013

The show has officially been renewed for a second season! yay!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4205/10/2013

They have found a Kim Cattrall-look alike to play Samantha on "The Carrie Diaries".

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4307/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.