Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you require people to take their shoes off when they come into your place (if you have carpet, that is)?

I do. I have light carpet, and people automatically know it's shoes off when they come in.

by Anonymousreply 12304/08/2013

No, I don't like the smell.

by Anonymousreply 210/27/2012

Hardwood and I suggest it.

by Anonymousreply 310/27/2012

Carpeting is gross!

by Anonymousreply 410/27/2012

I have a very light colored carpet. My guests are allowed to remain fully clothed, right down to their shoes.

by Anonymousreply 510/27/2012

We've been down this road before, and the body count was staggering.

by Anonymousreply 610/27/2012

Living a nudist lifestyle, I require guests to remove all clothing upon entering my abode. They must, however, place a towel on the seat of my white couch before sitting down.

by Anonymousreply 710/27/2012

LOL R6 - and I broke a rib last week so thanks for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 810/27/2012

What a clever idea!

by Anonymousreply 910/27/2012

Yes. Yes I do.

by Anonymousreply 1010/27/2012

Well, send them in!

by Anonymousreply 1110/27/2012

I have a huge home, hardwood floors, and four (well groomed and behaved) dogs! I sweep and mop daily. There is always a mop bucket in the laundry sink, so bring it on! It's more like go barefoot at your own risk because you never know what might be drug in from the dog run! Leaves, snow, critters! We're clean and tidy, but comfortable. After all... it's just 'stuff' and the valuables are out of reach anyhow. Carpets can be replaced. Memories can't!

by Anonymousreply 1210/28/2012

No offense to the OP because I understand the logic, but I still hate it. It makes me feel so uncomfortable, and then I worry about breaking something or spilling a drink.

by Anonymousreply 1310/28/2012

I don't but I'd say about half the homes around here (Seattle) are "Shoes Off." Not sure if it's the Scandinavian and Asian influences or just anal yuppiedom (or a combo).

by Anonymousreply 1410/28/2012

Why, yes

by Anonymousreply 1510/28/2012

Or, r14, the wet and muddy sidewalks for 9 months out of the year.

by Anonymousreply 1610/28/2012

Our family keep their shoes on, but we DO NOT allow our staff only if they wear the staff issued booty covers and face masks

by Anonymousreply 1710/28/2012

[quote] I sweep and mop daily

Wow! I am in awe of you!

by Anonymousreply 1810/28/2012

I've never heard of such nonsense. It is beyond rude. These people act like they've never had nice things before. They should be embarrassed to act like such yahoos.

Do they put plastic on their furniture as well? It's the exact same thing and don't try to say it's not.

Seriously, money is just wasted on some people.

Are you at all aware of what door mats are for?

by Anonymousreply 1910/28/2012

if i'm required to take off my shoes, i just won't come in. it's tacky and disgusting- i don't want my clean feet on your dirty floor, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 2010/28/2012

Think of all the cleanly Asian homes. It's too funny, when you watch a e.g. Korean drama and even the mobsters wear slippers at someone else's home during a gangster meeting.

Oh, and of course shoes off at my place.

by Anonymousreply 2110/28/2012

Of course.

[quote]Carpets can be replaced. Memories can't!

Who cherishes memories of people traipsing dog shit all over their rugs?

by Anonymousreply 2210/28/2012

[quote] Are you at all aware of what door mats are for?

R19 - I would guess that door mats go back way before carpets!

by Anonymousreply 2310/28/2012

[quote] i don't want my clean feet on your dirty floor

R20 - That's why one wears socks!

by Anonymousreply 2410/28/2012

I wear shoes in MY OWN APARTMENT because I don't particularly like stubbing my toe or having something heavy drop on my unprotected foot.

by Anonymousreply 2510/28/2012

I love how R14 equates Scandinavian and Asian tradition with anal yuppiedom.

This is custom through most of Europe, not just Scandinavia.

If you look at the science most of the dirt and dust in homes comes from human waste (skin cells and hair) and dirt brought in from outside. We cut out one of the primary source of dirt in our homes.

I know it's hard for Puritan America to think other parts of the world might be cleaner or smarter, but we think you look ridiculous keeping your shoes on in the house, especially tracking them in your bathrooms and bedrooms.

Who is anal here - because you don't feel comfortable taking off your shoes, or think you'll get your socks dirty? Maybe it's the shoes-on crowd.

by Anonymousreply 2610/28/2012

And some of us have indoor and outdoor shoes - to protect our toes from being stubbed and to keep the dirt out.

by Anonymousreply 2710/28/2012

I lived in Hawaii for many years and just became accustomed to taking off shoes, so I still do and I keep inexpensive slippers by the door for guests who don't like to go barefoot.

by Anonymousreply 2810/28/2012

Well, in North America it's anal. Whenever someone asks me to take of my shoes, I immediately think: They're anal, stupid, and care about stuff more than people.

PS: I doubt that people in France tell others to take off their shoes.

by Anonymousreply 2910/28/2012

Shoes off people are one gene off being furniture covered in plastic people.

by Anonymousreply 3010/28/2012

No, I'm not a control freak asshole who cares more about things than the people I invite into my home.

by Anonymousreply 3110/28/2012

Definitely shoes off.

Take a look at the soles of your shoes the next time you walk in your own door -- I guarantee you they won't be clean. Why track that all over your home? And why have other people do it?

by Anonymousreply 3210/28/2012

[quote]Think of all the cleanly Asian homes.

What an amusing fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 3310/28/2012

Where I live it's the norm to take your shoes off in someone's house.

We have snow and slush a good portion of the year. A lot of people wear winter boots, winter boots are not comfortable at room temperature.

by Anonymousreply 3410/28/2012

R25 lives in an apartment that's currently under contruction.

by Anonymousreply 3510/28/2012

What r20 said.

Unless the weather is gross out or you are Asian Im not taking off my fucking shoes. Most people who demand you take off your shoes have filthy floors that THEY think are too clean for shoes. It never fails. If Im wearing white socks they are usually beyond the repair of bleach because their floors are so damn dirty. You'd think theyd be embarrassed if the bottom of your socks are black when you leave. And people with kids or lots of pets need to just accept that their floors will never pass the white glove test and should not demand someone to remove their shoes.

by Anonymousreply 3610/28/2012

I take my shoes off when I enter my home. I leave it entirely up to my guests as to whether they follow suit. Most do.

by Anonymousreply 3710/28/2012

My problem with this is that, no matter how clean you think your floors are, they are not. I don't like the idea of putting my shoes back on after walking around someone's floors because I don't want my dirty socks inside my shoes. All the crap you picked up will be transferred to your shoes to grow and fester. Yuck.

I also don't want to put on a pair of slippers that have been worn by god knows how many people before me. Even with socks on. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 3810/28/2012

I'm like you OP, and if some one doesn't want to take off the shoes I demand they walk on their hands while in my home.

by Anonymousreply 3910/28/2012

What a mess you are R38.

by Anonymousreply 4010/28/2012

It's anal, and unwelcoming unless there's a storm and people are wearing boots. I guess no red wine or cranberry juice is ever served either. I do a lot of serving/catering on the side and about 80% of NY's Park Ave. and Westchester hostesses refuse to serve red wine, and struggle to exhale seeing people WEARING SHOES inside their antiseptic museum-like homes! It's a revolting habit.

by Anonymousreply 4110/28/2012

You are the mess here, r40

by Anonymousreply 4210/28/2012

I once visited an acquaintance who required everyone remove his/her shoes at the front door.

Our hostess dropped a wine glass, it broke. She cut her foot and bled all over her pristine nearly white rugs.

I enjoyed watching this fiasco of obsessive cleanliness more than just a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 4310/28/2012

I thought wearing shoes in houses was only a southern thing. Apparently it's not? It's weird to me. Every house I've been a guest in has a place by the door to leave your shoes.

by Anonymousreply 4410/28/2012

I don't like taking my shoes off because my shoes are usually an integral part of the outfit. If I'm wearing heels, then my pants are too long to be worn barefoot, and I don't wear skinny jeans unless I'm wearing tall boots. If someone is a shoes-off nazi (weather issues aside), it's usually the last time I go to something at their house. Insisting that guests remove their shoes is indicative of a control issue that I find unappealing in friends.

by Anonymousreply 4610/28/2012

Finally, the voice of common sense at r45.

I wouldn't dream of asking my guests to take off their shoes.

Inherent in the concept of being a thoughtful host is putting the comfort of your guests first.

If you can't bring yourself to have your floors untidy for a few hours, then do your would-be guests a favor by not inviting them to your home.

As has been previously pointed out,having your feet covered are safety and comfort issue. If you can't accommodate that then don't invite people to your hermitically sealed home or apartment.

by Anonymousreply 4710/28/2012

If you want to keep your floors antiseptic, then perhaps you shouldn't have company.

by Anonymousreply 4810/28/2012

This thread is America in a nutshell.

Only if you're Asian... I bet they don't ask people to take off shoes in their homes in France... it's anal ... people who care more about things than people, and my white socks.

The cultures around the world that do this as a matter of custom do not care more about things than people. We respect others' homes. If they have no shoes on, we do as they do. It has nothing to do with being anal, either. We accept dust and dirt and clean it; humans make dirt. We just don't think it makes sense to bring it into our homes, our bathrooms, and our bedrooms when you can put the shoes at the door. It's efficient, common sense, and has nothing to do with being anal.

Or maybe it's because we just don't wear white socks.

And just so you know, no one in Europe or Asia that I know "forces" anyone to take off their shoes, nor do we have to "ask." Why? Because we expect to respect the people who have asked us into their homes and if an American came into our home and saw us without our shoes on and kept his on, or asked if we minded if he kept his shoes on, most of use would not be surprised and would try to be accommodating. Only Americans would take this personally and hurl insults about it.

by Anonymousreply 4910/28/2012

[quote]Definitely shoes off. Take a look at the soles of your shoes the next time you walk in your own door -- I guarantee you they won't be clean. Why track that all over your home? And why have other people do it?

Exactomundo.

by Anonymousreply 5010/28/2012

I'll ask people I'm close to to removemtheir shoes if I've cleaned the floors recently but Indon't ask this of casual friends who come over nor of workmen, etc. I don't wear shoes at home unless I forget to take them off for some reason or I'm dashing in to grab something and then dashing back out. A friend sent me a very soft pair of padded slippers after a foot injury (caused by cooking while barefoot, mind you) and I usually wear those around the house or just my socks. I have sweaty feet and it's not unusual for me to change my socks 4 times a day.

by Anonymousreply 5110/28/2012

[quote] We have snow and slush a good portion of the year. A lot of people wear winter boots,

That is an entirely different matter. I lived in a snow area a long time ago and if the waether was bad and we wore boots then we always brought regular shoes to wear indoors.

[quote] Every house I've been a guest in has a place by the door to leave your shoes

That is completely unbelievable unless you have very limited social contacts or oyur friends think you are particularly dirty.

I would never ask friends to take off their shoes. Personally I take mine off the second I'm in the house for comfort as much as for sanitary reasons. I nay wear my shoes in the living room or kitchen aras but I rearely do in the bathroom or bedrooms.

In the US this is some recent phenomenon. I don't ever remember this being an issue growing up or as a younger adult. It simply was not widespread at all. In fact anyone who make such requests were talked about as if they were lunatics.

If you are this fussy then you don't have guests. People used to roll up their rugs for certain entertainment - maybe those so concerned should do the same.

And anyone who has a cat or dog who brings things in from the outside better not be asking anyone to take their shoes off. especially those disgusting people who let their cats on the kitchen counters or furniture.

This is like the peanut people.

by Anonymousreply 5210/28/2012

This thread will give the anal-retentive OCD queens, shower nozzle masturbation material for weeks!

by Anonymousreply 5310/28/2012

[quote]And anyone who has a cat or dog who brings things in from the outside better not be asking anyone to take their shoes off. especially those disgusting people who let their cats on the kitchen counters or furniture.

If your dog is confined mostly to your own yard, then no problem. Beyond that, dog paws are very easy to clean.

by Anonymousreply 5410/28/2012

I require people to take their shoes off and put on rollerskates because I wnat people to have fun while in my house

by Anonymousreply 5510/28/2012

R52, I've never had anyone ask me to take off my shoes in their house. It's just something I and most people I know do automatically.

by Anonymousreply 5610/28/2012

[quote] If your dog is confined mostly to your own yard, then no problem. Beyond that, dog paws are very easy to clean

I had a dog for 17 years and he mostly stayed in the yard. He was cleaned regularly but I wouldn't pretend to suggest he never brought in nasties from the yard where he went to the bathroom by the way.

If you think your dog is that clean - cleaner than shoes wiped on a mat than you are delusional. Do you also thoroughly clean his butt whenever he comes in the house and give him a shower and clean his coat?

Seriously some people are daft. For the most part, shoes are a hard dry surface and they can easily be wiped down and clean.

by Anonymousreply 5710/28/2012

I live in an apt. and am disabled, so I don't have money to replace carpet, and its for damn sure the apt. complex won't, not without charging me. The carpet is oatmeal colored. You had better take your shoes off, or hit the bricks.

by Anonymousreply 5810/28/2012

of coarse

by Anonymousreply 5910/28/2012

[quote]This is like the peanut people

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 6010/28/2012

I always take my shoes off when I go to someone's house. I never ask anyone to take their shoes off in my house, though, but most people do. I figure it's just conventional courtesy. It's why I make sure I take care not to have any foot odor, or to go sockless if I know I'm going to someone's house.

But then there's bunions and romance to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 6110/28/2012

Only self absorbed control freaks require guests to take off their shoes. They are only slightly less annoying than people who give parties insisting you dress a certain way ("oh, make sure to wear a tie-died t-shirt and a hairstyle from the 80's"---blech!). No thank you, I'll wear what I choose to wear, not what some tightly wound freak dictates. I'm with the poster above (I'm female also) in that my choice of shoes is integral to the outfit. I have many pants that are way too long and would drag on the ground without a heeled shoe.

Here's the deal, if you are so concerned about your floors, you have two choices: 1.) purchase flooring that is wear resistant and doesn't show stains or 2.) get your carpets cleaned and/or buffed after each gathering.

The fact is, if you have to harass your friends about their footwear because you're afraid of wear and tear, you can't afford high quality flooring/carpet and the maintenance they require to look their best. Stop trying to be something your not and just get some damn laminate or commercial grade carpet.

by Anonymousreply 6210/28/2012

Keep your canine feces out of my house.

by Anonymousreply 6310/28/2012

Stop saying "Europeans" do this. It's only the anal European countries that do - the Germans, the Nordics. The Asians do it because they are Asians. And in North America the anal people with OCD do it.

by Anonymousreply 6510/28/2012

[quote]Think of all the cleanly Asian homes

WTF does this even mean? I'm pretty sure there are messy Asian homes somewhere. Do you honestly believe that certain ethnic groups are noted for their cleanliness? Weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 6610/28/2012

Some of you are just a step away from this:

by Anonymousreply 6710/28/2012

I have white shag carpet, shoes off is required.

by Anonymousreply 6810/28/2012

Poor Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 6910/28/2012

I know a man (whom I do not consider a friend) who insists that male visitors sit to urinate while using his bathroom. He actually articulates this request. One wonders what would happen if they stood, and what he is trying to avoid.

I had one date with a guy who requested that I take my shoes off at the door. I complied. His dog spent the entire evening licking its anus. And I left shortly after he complained about the difficulty he continually encountered putting condoms onto his dildoes.

For my part, I worry about things like whether there is an E in the plural of dildo. But I let my guests keep their shoes on, and do not inquire about their positions while urinating.

Come to think of it, the hazards of standing might be increased if everyone is in stocking feet.

by Anonymousreply 7010/28/2012

I have hardwood floors, but whenever I go over someone's house, I always remove my shoes if I'll be walking on the carpet. Sometimes they'll say I don't have to take off my shoes, but they ALWAYS appreciate the gesture. If I had carpet, the only way people could keep their shoes on is by paying my fucking carpet cleaning bill.

by Anonymousreply 7110/28/2012

R70 speaks the truth! Great points and funny.

by Anonymousreply 7210/28/2012

R66 You really never heard about the custom in Japan, Korea and other countries? You are the weirdo.

Look what I found. There is a whole blog out there discussing this topic.

by Anonymousreply 7310/29/2012

[quote] For my part, I worry about things like whether there is an E in the plural of dildo.

Crying with laughter at the whole post.

You should try peeing standing up at his house. Maybe he'll come out from behind the peephole and bitchslap you.

by Anonymousreply 7410/29/2012

[quote]For my part, I worry about things like whether there is an E in the plural of dildo.

Dildi

by Anonymousreply 7510/29/2012

Dildexes

by Anonymousreply 7610/29/2012

[quote]I'm pretty sure there are messy Asian homes somewhere.

Ha ha! We laugh with you for your irony. We learn difficult new word just for you.

We take our shoes off, but our homes still very messy. Now you laugh with us for our irony. Ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 7710/29/2012

Bump

by Anonymousreply 7810/29/2012

R73, yea - this is just the guy we want to take advice from.

The blogger's profile

[quote] I am a Fundamentalist Christian who looks to the renewal of the cosmos through the reconciling work of Christ. I believe the best way to keep homes clean is to remove shoes at the door. I expect visitors to my home to remove their shoes.

Oh, he also has an interest in angels.

by Anonymousreply 7910/29/2012

Of course, OP! I just washed that floor!

And I can HANDLE the socks...

by Anonymousreply 8010/29/2012

[quote][R66] You really never heard about the custom in Japan, Korea and other countries? You are the weirdo.

Yes, I know the custom, Mr. Knowitall. That does not mean that "Asian" homes are more "cleanly". You're a bit simple, aren't you? You link to a blog from a self-described "Fundamentalist Christian" on a gay website? Really? And we're supposed to be impressed?

by Anonymousreply 8110/29/2012

Of course not. Nor do I live in a teeny-tiny apartment with Shoji screens, spending my time eating raw fish and making YouTube films of my fat cat jumping in and out of too small boxes.

by Anonymousreply 8210/29/2012

[quote]If I had carpet, the only way people could keep their shoes on is by paying my fucking carpet cleaning bill.

You speaketh the truth.

by Anonymousreply 8310/29/2012

[quote]If I had carpet, the only way people could keep their shoes on is by paying my fucking carpet cleaning bill.

Carpet gets dirty over time. Why be an anal douche about it?

You would probably force your guests, in the unlikely event that you ever had any, to mop up as they back their way out of your door, with you standing over them bitching about the cost of cleaning products.

by Anonymousreply 8410/29/2012

it's a fucking floor. jesus.

by Anonymousreply 8510/29/2012

Joan Crawford was big on this crap about taking your shoes off.

That gives you a general idea of the sort of personality involved.

by Anonymousreply 8610/29/2012

Yes, R86, the only people who've ever required this of their guests were nearly always cunts at minimum, psychotic people who lied about their HIV status and infected two other friends of mine at worst. It's the weirdest thing to get uptight about.

by Anonymousreply 8710/29/2012

It's no crime to have and enjoy "nice things," but it should be a crime to make other people feel uncomfortable by obsessing over the preciousness of one's nice things.

by Anonymousreply 8810/29/2012

No, but they have to bring their own boats.

by Anonymousreply 8910/30/2012

I always think, what's the point of having a floor or rug that is so delicate. It makes guests uncomfortable to have to remove shoes. I ask people give their shoes a really good wipe on the mat before entering my small apartment.

by Anonymousreply 9010/30/2012

I have had a couple of sex buddies whose shoes were too 'fragrant'...it was (almost!) not worth taking them off.

by Anonymousreply 9110/30/2012

Fragrant is good, R91.

by Anonymousreply 9210/30/2012

I have only lived in 3 different states - California, New Mexico and Missouri. Maybe once have I been asked to take my shoes off and I have known quite a wide variety of people and I'm over 60 years old. This could be a regional difference.

I have extremely sturdy long lasting dark commercial carpet on my floors. I surely wouldn't want people to get residue from all the cat puke and dog messes that have happened on this carpet. Yes, I clean the carpet but that stuff stays. I would like to get hard surface flooring but I've already paid for the carpet.

by Anonymousreply 9310/30/2012

I had no idea there WAS anyone anywhere who didn't take their shoes off when entering someone's home. As if people would walk around in someone's home with their shoes on. That's gross, and SUPER disrespectful. I live in Canada. EVERYONE takes their shoes off inside the house. No one would dream of walking around in someone else's home (or their own) with their shoes on. It would be a huge sign of disrespect and contempt for someone if you didn't take your shoes off in their home. I always wondered why people on American television wore their shoes inside homes, but I never thought that people actually did that for real. How disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 9410/31/2012

R94, I haven't mentioned it to you until now, but given your strong feelings on the matter, I need to let you know that you have a foot odor problem. Sorry, but I would much rather have you in your shoes than out of them. Just wipe your shoes on the mat outside before you enter and then again on the inside mat. Ta da--clean shoes, clean floors......and no ungodly foot stench.

by Anonymousreply 9510/31/2012

What makes me sick is when actors put their feet up on the sofa or bed with shoes on, I've seen people do this in real life too. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 9610/31/2012

Me too, R96. I know it's only a TV show, but when I see someone sit Indian style on their (or someone else's) bed with their shoes on, it makes me crazy!

by Anonymousreply 9710/31/2012

Better their relatively clean shoes than their stinky feet, R96/97.

by Anonymousreply 9810/31/2012

When I lived in Montreal (a few decades ago!), people did not do this. I remember when the fad started - I think around the 80s. I always thought it was gauche. Still do. It's all about the carpeting.

by Anonymousreply 9910/31/2012

Where I live, people dont take their shoes off. I would never have carpet or floors that were so delicate that I would have to take my shoes off. I don't worship my property.

by Anonymousreply 10010/31/2012

I generally require visitors to take their pants off at the door.. you can keep your shoes on if you like.

by Anonymousreply 10110/31/2012

How common is this keeping your shoes on at home thing? This thread is making it sound way more common than I thought it was.

Is this just at other people's houses or in your own too? I have no desire to keep my shoes on.

by Anonymousreply 10210/31/2012

I always thought the idea was to have carpeting the hid the dirt, not some color that accentuates the dirt.

I prefer rugs over hardwood myself.

by Anonymousreply 10310/31/2012

r96, I love grinding my booted feet into other people's couches. Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

by Anonymousreply 10410/31/2012

This is why I love Trader Joes.

by Anonymousreply 10510/31/2012

It's the same thing with people putting their iPhones in these big plastic cases to protect them. What's the point of getting an iPhone if you're just going to hide it and make it look like a Fisher Price phone? Just enjoy it without worrying about it getting dirty or damaged.

by Anonymousreply 10610/31/2012

Who the fuck are these Kamehameha (and Canadian?!) savages have a custom of leaving shoes at the front door?

Your floors and rugs are so precious, yet you would turn your entry halls into squalid used shoe stores?

A web search reveals the sort of low life nutcase that does this sort of thing:

[quote]The other thing that my children, and all houseguests do when they walk in the front door, is take off their shoes. There are a few exceptions to the rule, like my 93 year old grandmother, whom I would worry would slip and fall without shoes. But everyone else respects our decision to remove shoes at the front door. This is one thing I can do, within my control, for my children’s health so that they are not exposed to urine, feces (think public restrooms), pesticides, and other hazardous chemicals and substances, in our home when they are crawling around on our floors (or inevitably picking up raisins off the floor and popping them into their mouths). These substances can be a tremendous source of indoor pollution, as well as chemicals that can wear down a little one’s immune system.

by Anonymousreply 10711/01/2012

LMAO @ R107's quote. WTF is she throwing raisins on the floor for her kids to eat? Does she allow pets in her home? I can't imagine that would be allowed either since they might track in "hazardous substances." Her kids must put on Hazmat suits just to play outside.

by Anonymousreply 10811/01/2012

[quote] What's the point of getting an iPhone if you're just going to hide it and make it look like a Fisher Price phone?

So, are phones now a fashion item?!?

by Anonymousreply 10911/01/2012

I cannot stand the smell of stinky feet, it is vomit inducing to me. So, I'm quite happy for guests to keep their shoes on.

by Anonymousreply 11011/01/2012

So kind of you, R110, to allow your guests to keep their shoes on, rather than step in the vomit induced by your earlier visitors.

by Anonymousreply 11111/02/2012

What's the purpose of a doormat?

by Anonymousreply 11211/06/2012

I have lived and visited many places in the US and have never been in a home where guests are expected to take off their shoes. I do have one recent friend who demands all shoes off at her front door, but then she wants you to go out to her back patio with her, so not only are you getting crap all over your bare feet from her crappy patio, you are then tracking it back in to her house! She keeps a box of flip flops by the back door, but I'm not keen on wearing communal shoes. She has hardwood floors, so it's really just all about control.

by Anonymousreply 11311/07/2012

[quote]What's the purpose of a doormat?

To lay there and look pretty?

by Anonymousreply 11411/09/2012

The feets on offer in these homes is hardening

by Anonymousreply 11511/09/2012

This is an interesting question. Before our house was remodeled we didn't and in fact wore shoes through the house, mostly because while the house was livable we bought on in which the hardwood had been damaged, the tile in the kitchen had been likewise damaged exposing hardwood beneath all of which could create splinters. However, since the remodel my parent's policy has been shoes off for us (something I had trouble adopting until I found out that's how they do it in Germany, for some reason that helped me remember despite my ADD). Since it is the house rule, it is the house rule. I have always made it a rule to ask people even if they didn't take their own off first, because it is their house not mine (and for all you know they want to hold themselves to that rule and just forgot).

What I don't get is these people who criticize those who want the shoes off. I mean, who the hell are you to get uppity because of what someone says is the rule in their own house? Anyone who goes into another person's home and has this attitude that there is something wrong with someone for expecting their guests to respect their home in the same way they themselves do has been very poorly brought up indeed. Why not put the shoe on the other foot ? (ha ha) What if someone came into your home and let's say, decided it was ok to through your gaming controller on the floor in a fit of rage because you are just being anal, they throw their controllers all the time without any problem? Or what if someone came into your home and started talking about sex in front of your kid or gave your dog table scraps even though you told them you don't feed your dog human food? This all falls in the same category. You are in someone else's home, you do what they tell you is appropriate or hold yourself to a higher standard, those are your options.

by Anonymousreply 11604/07/2013

Most dirt inside a house comes inside from people who bring it in from their shoes. It's a fact. No mat is going to take care of that.

I walk around in my socks and barefoot at home and my feet are clean, as is my floor. Because the dirt from the outside never makes it far past the entrance. The minor dust build up can be eradicated with a simple cleaning once a week.

I visited two homes in the US and stayed with friends of friends. They were very clean people generally, especially in the bathrooms and kitchens. Everyone walked around with their shoes on and it didn't take long to see why. I walked in my sock feet and it was like I was dusting the floor when I walked. I had to keep my shoes on in their houses. I don't think they have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 11704/07/2013

I have a superb dark colored basement. Men know that it's clothes off when they come to my house...GRIN...

by Anonymousreply 11804/07/2013

I did a little more research on this...

The US EPA warns that lead toxin gets into your house if you don't take off your shoes, especially if you have carpet. It recommends you remove your shoes.

ABC did a study on people who don't remove their shoes and found more bacteria on shoes brought in the house than on a toilet seat.

by Anonymousreply 11904/08/2013

For another list of studies showing pesticides and other bacteria and toxins brought into your homes...

by Anonymousreply 12004/08/2013

Even Oprah says so... Another study... 100s of thousands of bacteria on shoes...

by Anonymousreply 12104/08/2013

The EPA recommendations are here

by Anonymousreply 12204/08/2013

It's just common sense. If it's raining or there is a lot of snow outside then I would take my shoes off but otherwise forget it.

by Anonymousreply 12304/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.